The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hungry, then full after a few bites

Been awhile since I've posted here and I see the medical questions forum is gone, but my old posts are in here so I guess this is the right place.

Anyway, those who remember me know how hard it is for me to eat to begin with; I have little to no appetite but I trained myself to ignore it and forced food down. Lately I've realized that I am almost never even slightly hungry, and the times where my stomach actually growls I eat a few bites and get full/feel sick. It was never this bad and got me wondering if I had a hiatal hernia or something.

I plan on calling the doctor in the next day or two. I know my body and know whatever is going on isn't normal or in my head, I used to be able to drink a 600 calorie PWO shake, eat a bunch of jasmine rice shortly after, and then finish the night off with a 1600 calorie shake. Now I feel sick going into a smaller 500 calorie PWO shake and don't even want to think about the other things.

Bottom line, I know what it takes to force myself to eat and it's just not possible right now without almost throwing up shortly after I begin. I used to eat 6000 every single day, and yeah, I almost threw up at the end. Now I'm struggling to even get 4000 down and it takes me an hour to eat every meal. Has anyone else had anything like this?
    Last edited by berfles; 12-06-2011 at 07:48 PM.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Anything in your life changed recently? Do you ever have anxiety?
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Not that I know of. I don't think I have anxiety issues either. I'm a creature of habit and generally do the same things day in and day out. I've only realized recently what's going on.
    Last edited by berfles; 12-06-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

To me this sounds awfully familiar. I too used to try and eat and almost throw-up. I hated that so much. ( I was trying Big Time to gain some weight/ mass) Back when I was about your age too. I went to the Doctor and described the situation (I too was going to work everyday/ doing the same routine)...... turned out it was stress. I didn't realize that I was being stressed from being at work.

Maybe you are stressed, maybe you're not. Just my little story. Hope you figure it out soon.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

The only times I have had anything close to what you're describing it was lifestyle/stress related. Hope it's nothing serious mate.

Well that would suck because if I don't feel like I'm stressed I have no idea how to counter act it. I guess that's why stress is such a big issue.

I do still have times where I "binge eat", usually 2-3am on the weekends. Last weekend I went through chicken, cereal, ate peanut butter out of the jar, and then had my bigger shake all within about 20 minutes. I probably ate over 2000 calories in that time, if I had some sort of hiatal hernia I guess that wouldn't be possible.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Banned
    The only thing that does that to me is hot weather. I really lose my appetite when it gets really hot. Other than that, it stays fairly constant, even if I'm ill.

stress is the only thing that affects me like that. Makes me envy the people who eat more when they are stressed would be great for bulking.

Is it weird I'm almost hoping it's some sort of hernia in my stomach? I can't see myself getting past this if I don't feel stressed.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Have you lost any weight?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I've dropped about 15-16lbs, I weighed in at 220.1 last weekend. Honestly it's the first time I've weighed myself in months, I have been in cruise control since I hit 236 and decided to give myself a break from eating non stop. I knew I lost some weight, but I didn't think I was down that low again. Before I got this cold I was stronger than I was at 236 too so I don't think I lost muscle.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    Is it weird I'm almost hoping it's some sort of hernia in my stomach? I can't see myself getting past this if I don't feel stressed.
    Seems doubtful this could be a structural problem if you still successfully binge eat at times. Regardless, it wouldn't hurt to get this looked into further. If indeed there is no structural problem, it would probably be worthwhile to look at potential emotional stressors/etc, as others have mentioned. Keep us updated, best of luck.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” --- Charles Darwin

Just throwing this out there, but it may just be your body trying to tell you something. Maybe 6000 calories a day was too much for you. You are 5'10" tall, so maybe 236 was too much. I'd stop worrying about the scale and just listen to your body. You are probably stressing too much over it and it is causing you problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ianbell121 View Post
    i think you can try herbal medicine.
    Elaborate please.

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” --- Charles Darwin

long shot but have your working habits changed? when i started working night shifts, my appetite went to crap and i eventually didn't get enough calories to let my gains progress. the lack of sleep and different lifestyle changed my eating habits.

Quote Originally Posted by razorcut View Post
    Elaborate please.
    When I was in college, sophomore year I had a couple classes that stressed me the fuck out to the point of causing some anxiety on the days that I had those classes. I was trying to bulk and eating around 4 - 5k cals; the only way I could get enough food in was to smoke some bud at night and eat a massive meal while baked. I'm not advocating smoking marijuana, but it did work for me.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Stress would be my guess too, but you have said you aren't stressed. My appetite goes to hell when I'm stressed.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

How long has this been going on?

This hasn't been addressed... ?
    Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    Before I got this cold I was stronger than I was at 236
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I'm not advocating smoking marijuana, but it did work for me.
    Yes I thought this was maybe what he was referencing. It would likely help. As most know, it's used a lot in cancer patients to help stimulate appetite. Not that I would necessarily condone it in this situation.

Being 220 @ 5'10" I wouldn't stress too much about losing a lil weight haha. Assuming you are not on AAS I think 220 is a pretty fucking solid weight. Anything more than that and I would assume you would start looking a lil sloppy. Though I could be totally wrong haha.

For me the only time my appetite was fucked up like that was during a really bad break up a few years ago.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!