Thread: Dysmorphia training for the athlete. (questions)

Dysmorphia training for the athlete. (questions)

Havent been on here for a while..not even sure if this is the appropriate place to start this thread but why not:

I just finished my past year of football as a linemen(center), and currently working to start my first year of college ball hopefully(as a linebacker, however.) Im about 6 ft, 223 lbs right now and want to hit 250 by summer, then cut back down to 220ish by the end. Im actually using the laid-out program for dysmorphia training with a few modifications made by me. My thoughts being I can get the juices flowing a bit and gain a few muscle lbs before I start a heavier powerlifting phase. However, i need to get faster. The speed camp/drills im about to start are on mondays and wednesdays every week. Im using the monday-tuesday-thursday-friday layout for lifting. (mon/thurs upper, tues/fri lower.)

Questions:
    -Should I modify my lifting days in any way to reek a better benefit? EX: Mon/thurs lower, tues/fri upper?
    -What kind of future programs would be ideal after the DT phase?
    -Good stretching/athletic performance enhancing techniques?
    -Any other tips, concerns, helpful-ness, really anything you want to share.

I realize this is an extremely big topic so bear with me.
    I consider myself a pretty good lifter than can do some moderate/difficult movements.
    Current max's: Bench: 315 Squat: 405 Deads: 500

Thanks everyone.

I moved this here because I think you will get more responses.

As the DT program is both for size and strength I would stick with it for now. I would not start the drill work until 2-3 months out from your first practices. That way you can focus on adding the body weight and increasing absolute strength which at your current levels will also contribute to speed.

When you are ready to transition I would go to a Westside protocol with jumps and some other agility work included.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thank you, much appreciated. Where can I find that westside program?

For Westside I strongly suggest you purchase one of their books - The Book of Methods is best for your purposes. You can get it from www.westside-barbell.com.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

thanks chris!

I don't really know about the Dysmorphia training but definitely check out some of the things Defranco does. It's a Westside type split, but more of the athlete. I saw great results from his combine prep ebook when I was still trying to the ball thing.

Quote Originally Posted by barryisawinnah View Post
    I don't really know about the Dysmorphia training but definitely check out some of the things Defranco does. It's a Westside type split, but more of the athlete. I saw great results from his combine prep ebook when I was still trying to the ball thing.
    Ill definitely take a look at it, can you tell me where I can read and/or buy what your talking about? Thanks dude.

www.defrancostraining.com

for his Combine Prep Ebook, I think I got it off of EliteFTS. Are you already on a team (scholarship athlete, preferred walk-on) or are you doing the true walk on process. If you already have a spot on the team, I wouldn't work on combine type stuff as it won't be needed. Still work on position drills, acceleration/speed shit, but not dumb shit like 5-10-5, etc. Also if you are walking on, have you spoke with the coaches/found out how the process goes. Some schools basically just make you show up at 6am and do conditioning shit, etc before you even get a shot at walking on, which is basically just to see your commitment, etc and then let you get a tryout actually playing football. Some do the combine type tryout, etc.

Good luck
    Last edited by barryisawinnah; 12-12-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barryisawinnah View Post
    www.defrancostraining.com

for his Combine Prep Ebook, I think I got it off of EliteFTS. Are you already on a team (scholarship athlete, preferred walk-on) or are you doing the true walk on process. If you already have a spot on the team, I wouldn't work on combine type stuff as it won't be needed. Still work on position drills, acceleration/speed shit, but not dumb shit like 5-10-5, etc. Also if you are walking on, have you spoke with the coaches/found out how the process goes. Some schools basically just make you show up at 6am and do conditioning shit, etc before you even get a shot at walking on, which is basically just to see your commitment, etc and then let you get a tryout actually playing football. Some do the combine type tryout, etc.

Good luck
    Sweet stuff, thanks. And unfortunately no, ill be a true walk on guy haha. However, I have met and will continue to meet with coaching staff in the following months. Actually seeing Iowa state this Wednesday, so fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Sweet stuff, thanks. And unfortunately no, ill be a true walk on guy haha. However, I have met and will continue to meet with coaching staff in the following months. Actually seeing Iowa state this Wednesday, so fingers crossed.
    That's awesome man, stick with it. I inquired about walking on here (Northern Colorado) but I just didn't have the passion to play the game anymore. My passion was more in the weightroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Christa Jones View Post
    Muscle dysmorphia is an emerging problem in society. Most people are getting prone to this muscular dysfunction. Athletes are particularly susceptible to developing body image disorders because of the pressures surrounding sport performance. The other reason being the societal trends which promote muscularity and leanness. So along with the health care professionals, the atheletes should also be familiar with the symptoms of muscle dysmorphia, its treatment and referral options, in order to able to have a first aid option available for them.
    Dysmorphia training is a name of a power bodybuilding routine I created. I used the term in the name to underscore its effectiveness relative to one's desire to get as big and strong as possible.