Thread: Starting Strength begins tomorrow

Wannabebig Member

Starting Strength begins tomorrow

After reading the book, tomorrow will be the day i start on this program. Any advice for me before i begin it?

Make sure you have your diet sorted (enough calories and protein for growth & recovery)

Like above make sure your kcals are in order and also make sure your getting enough rest.
    Eat big. Sleep big. Lift big. Get big.

wasting your time imo.. if i could change one thing i did when i first started it was start with that program
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

Wannabebig Member
    But shouldn't i just eat everything in sight?

I'm curious, why did you choose SS?

Wannabe Tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I'm curious, why did you choose SS?
    I know this isn't directed at me, but based on the other thread, I figure you might be interested.

I choose SS as my first program. Actually the only reason I knew of it was due to these forums and the recommendations. I found it to be a simple and effective program and now have awesome quads (from the 3 day a week squats - ouch). After a few months I since moved on to variety of programs and am now trying out HCT-12.

To start with, I found SS more appealing as it is simple, proven - in the fact that its compound work and you dont need to mess about. HCT-12 was more complicated, especially working out from home. However now I thoroughly enjoy HCT-12 and prefer it as I work out legs less often!

SS is exactly was everyone says it is. A beginners program - and it works fairly well. Mindset is a big thing in training. You really need to be motivated with more complicated programs or many wont last. SS is simple and doesn't require and thinking outside of the technique of the exercise itself. This is my belief as to why it is soooo popular. I notice many more advanced trainees dont understand this as their mindset is much stronger!
    Last edited by PatoriaN; 12-12-2011 at 04:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    They will also be banning weight lifting, so do as much as you can now.

Quote Originally Posted by PatoriaN View Post
    I know this isn't directed at me, but based on the other thread, I figure you might be interested.

I choose SS as my first program. Actually the only reason I knew of it was due to these forums and the recommendations. I found it to be a simple and effective program and now have awesome quads (from the 3 day a week squats - ouch). After a few months I since moved on to variety of programs and am now trying out HCT-12.

To start with, I found SS more appealing as it is simple, proven - in the fact that its compound work and you dont need to mess about. HCT-12 was more complicated, especially working out from home. However now I thoroughly enjoy HCT-12 and prefer it as I work out legs less often!

SS is exactly was everyone says it is. A beginners program - and it works fairly well. Mindset is a big thing in training. You really need to be motivated with more complicated programs or many wont last. SS is simple and doesn't require and thinking outside of the technique of the exercise itself. This is my belief as to why it is soooo popular. I notice many more advanced trainees dont understand this as their mindset is much stronger!
    Thanks for the reply. I totally understand. I wish people didn't necessarily think that way, but I completely understand.

I think that having a sincere desire to want to start seriously lifting is critical too.

I got serious about my training about 5 or 6 years ago when I read the book called "The new rules of lifting" (before that I was an infrequent gym-goer that just did chest, bis, and tris). It had a much more complex program, but the concepts that the book talked about were what was enticing to me. I started with that program, and I'd recommend it to anyone, but my point is that you need the desire to WANT to dive in and just start doing some hard training and stick with it.

Once that motivation is there, then having a simple layout that's easy to follow is nice. I do believe that was part of the marketability of starting strength
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe Ripped View Post
    But shouldn't i just eat everything in sight?
    If you know from experience that you need to do this to grow then that's fine, but if you gain weight easily it's probably best to eat say 300cal a day over maintenance for a week or two and see what happens with your weight. Eating too much over maintenance straight away will likely lead to large fat gain