Thread: Some early thoughts on my block bench program

Some early thoughts on my block bench program

This is my log entry from last Friday. I thought some people might like to see an early take on my block programming.

Friday - Accumulation I week 2 Bench

Optimum Eight Warmup
    Bench 390 3x6
    Dumbbell incline 80 5x10
    D-Rows 150 5x12
    Incline YTW 5 3x10
    Band Pushdowns 2 light bands 21/14/12
    Dumbbell concentration curls 20 3x15

So, I have been rather sick for almost a solid week now. I have not gotten any work in during the week. In addition I have lost about 8 lbs. I felt well enough to train, but did not think I'd be well enough to push the pace of my training as I am supposed to during this block.

I got my warmup done pretty much by the time the other guys started warming up so I jumped on the bench. The warmup did not leave me wheezing, as this was a concern considering I am asthmatic and I was sick. This being so promising I got on the bench quickly in hopes of finishing before the rest of the crew got started. Amazingly the weight felt fine. I was probably close to the 2 minute rest mark because Eric and Drew jumped on with me and we kept a constant rotation with no wasted time.

Now I know I have really only had three sessions of this block type bench, but I have a very good feeling about it (FYI, it says I am only on week 2, but I had a pre accumulation week as well). The first week felt like crap with the bodybuilding style reps this block requires. This especially sucks for me because I rely on being explosive to move the weights I do. As a result, last week with just 360 for 3x6 I thought I might not even get my last rep in. That's when I asked Brian if I could up the tempo of my bench if necessary to finish reps. He said yes. However, even being sick and lighter this week, the 390 felt like cake and I did not have to up the tempo at all.

Hmmmmmmmmm, perhaps my body is adapting. Being an old dog, I was not certain I could learn any new tricks. I must say, I was very intrigued at the last EliteFTS seminar when I listened to Frey present on Block Periodization. I have great respect for Jeremy as a lifter and as a coach. He is technically flawless and strong as $hit. However, block seemed like more work than I was prepared for. That being the physical work and the mental preparation of the plan. Fortunately my training partner/physio Brian Holloway has taken the mental part out for me. Hey, I call him a physio becuause he likes being called that, he's kind of fancy, plus he wrote my current program.

After the pre accumulation week I looked ahead at my numbers and I thought there would be no way I could squeeze out 3x5 with 420 in such a tight and controlled manner. Now, I have no concerns. I am very much looking forward to my first intensification block in a few weeks when I can blast weight up like I'm used to. I'm anticipating there will be some carry over from the accumulation work. It's starting to make sense. I now look at this block program as a cresdendo of benching. Again, it is very early in this plan to be so excited. Let me just say, I am cautiously optimistic.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I'm thinking about trying this block thing. If anything out of boredom. Any referances to cycle examples?
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Nice to share the opinion/experience on the Block Periodization.
    You are using the classic 4 day programme: 1./BP 2./DL 3./BP 4./SQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_El_Piko View Post
    Nice to share the opinion/experience on the Block Periodization.
    You are using the classic 4 day programme: 1./BP 2./DL 3./BP 4./SQ?
    I'm really only doing block for benching. Otherwise I have a sq/dl day and a lower assistance day. As a bench only guy I am not overly concerned with my sq/dl and I am also coming off an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    I'm thinking about trying this block thing. If anything out of boredom. Any referances to cycle examples?
    My training partner wrote this program. I am not pretending to know how to set it up, but I'm trying to learn.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I completely agree with you Vin that the body is more capable of adapting to high volume training than I think we give it credit for.

It's always been my opinion that many people sell themselves short.

Stands to reason that once you get to a certain strength level, for you to continue getting stronger, your volume is going to have to increase. The stronger you get, the more work you are going to have to do to continue getting stronger.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Dr. Subtotal
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Scott, try these articles to get a feel. The 2nd one has a sample outline

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/bl...iodization.htm

http://articles.elitefts.com/article...-powerlifting/
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I'm really only doing block for benching. Otherwise I have a sq/dl day and a lower assistance day. As a bench only guy I am not overly concerned with my sq/dl and I am also coming off an injury.

My training partner wrote this program. I am not pretending to know how to set it up, but I'm trying to learn.
    Ok, thanks. Then you are scheduling Bench x2 in the week?.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I completely agree with you Vin that the body is more capable of adapting to high volume training than I think we give it credit for.

It's always been my opinion that many people sell themselves short.

Stands to reason that once you get to a certain strength level, for you to continue getting stronger, your volume is going to have to increase. The stronger you get, the more work you are going to have to do to continue getting stronger.
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by BloodandThunder View Post
    Scott, try these articles to get a feel. The 2nd one has a sample outline

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/bl...iodization.htm

http://articles.elitefts.com/article...-powerlifting/
    Thanks!
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Vinvent why not just pick things up and put them down some of you guys try 5to make getting stronger to scientific.........