Thread: Is it possible to put a pwerlifting suit on by yourself?

Is it possible to put a pwerlifting suit on by yourself?

I'm interested in having a play around with gear.
    Problem is my friend who lives in this tiny town with me doesn't lift. And my friend who lifts weights lives 200KM away.

So the only option is for me to put it on by myself. Is this possible?
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

If the suit is loose enough, sure. I have seen guys who compete with suits they put on themselves.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Oh, and start with briefs. You can do them yourself. It takes some work, but it can be done.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I only have a single play suit and I slip the sucker on in the change room no problem.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Cheers for the reponses guys.
    Wow sweet. I only plan on using single ply as I plan on lifting with the IPF. So that works out well.

Any suggestions on a good single ply bench and deadlift suit?
    I use the inzer forever lever belt and have had great results from it.
    Last edited by patricky; 12-17-2011 at 12:31 AM.
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

For singleply you can't go wrong with titan gear. Inzer and Metal also make some good singleply stuff, the fit is more important then the brand.

You can use a squat suit by yourself but its a bit of a pain, I would say that you cant use a bench shirt by yourself because you really will need help getting in / handoff guy / spotters.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    For singleply you can't go wrong with titan gear. Inzer and Metal also make some good singleply stuff, the fit is more important then the brand.

You can use a squat suit by yourself but its a bit of a pain, I would say that you cant use a bench shirt by yourself because you really will need help getting in / handoff guy / spotters.
    I bench in a power rack. Would I be able to do this with say a Titan Katana single ply?

I'm really keen to give equipped lifting a try because I think I would be better at it.

I plan to compete both raw and suitted provided I can get the damn suits on.
    Last edited by patricky; 12-17-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Go Titan F6 if it is your first shirt a Katana is a whole other animal!

Please don't wear a bench shirt alone. Not safe!
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Please don't wear a bench shirt alone. Not safe!
    OH well, that settles it then. I guess I'll just train raw.

Just wondering why isn't it safe?

You could use a squat suit and dl suit alone, but a bench shirt (if you figured out how to do it safely) would be such a pain. It would be hella hard to get on yourself, and you atleast need someone to lift off. That being said, even if you have training partners, unless they are really experienced, bench in a power rack.

I wouldn't try to train in equipment alone... although I say that and I also say I've done it.

A single ply squat or deadlift suit that fits correctly will take a second person to help you get the straps up (the deadlift suit will be more forgiving, but still a second person makes it alot easier). However if you are just getting into equipment getting one a bit looser will be to your benefit to get used to the equipment. You will need a hook of some kind to hang the strap onto to pull yourself up---DO NOT use a monolift hook. I got stuck in a deadlift suit one time trying to put it on by myself. I almost had to flip the monolift to get out once I got done flailing and cussing.

I don't see how you can get a bench shirt on that fits halfway decent without a second person---even an open backed one. If you can, your shirt is way too loose. It isn't going to help you much.

I bench in a rack almost all the time --we use a competition spec dumbell bench and an westside style rack so we can duplicate the competition bench but be safer. A lot of the time my wife hands off my benches in training (she's actually very good at it, and knows exactly what I need, so even though i have stronger people present, I prefer she does it) ---a 140 lb woman handing off 800+ lb benches just flat out isn't safe on a regular bench. in the rack, if something goes to hell, no one will get killed. The worst I have to do is get a new bar.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Its not safe to wear gear and lift if your spotters are inexperienced as well, learned that one the hard way.

Rather than wearing a bench shirt alone you could go with a SlingShot - just make sure to do your pressing in a power rack with the safety pins set in case you lose control.

I have deadlift and squat suits that I can put on by myself, they are 1-2 sizes too big but I still get a little bit out of them.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I completely agree with the post of JK1.

Are you going for DL suit and a SQ suit, or are you going to use one suit for both lifts? Most IPF competitions in my country/zone, most people just don´t use any kind of gear for DL, other use the Titan´s Centurion Super for both lifts.
    http://andersonpowerlifting.com/inde...on=show_detail

I was able to get my 2ply Overkill poly on myself. However I had to be in the gym so I had a smith machine to hang from. It also took me better part of 40min and i had yo use slippers.

having velcro straps to inch the suit up helps a bunch also.

good luck

Agree with Tom. Get a Slingshot. Its basically like benching in a shirt. The only single ply shirt I can say you can use yourself and get it on no problem in an APT Apex (Though I dont recommend using a shirt solo like its been said). Ive benched over 500 solo in a power rack with one.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    There are a few guys around here ( relatively speaking ) who lift close to home for 2 weeks ( raw) then make the drive out to my team's gym to train in full gear every third week or so..... that might be a better option.

You can, and I have, benched and squatted in full gear alone. Just be sure that you have set the safety pins in your power rack and make sure that you aren't learning new gear alone. Once you know the gear it is easier.

IMO your best option though is to focus on raw strength ( or use a slingshot in the power rack) alone and just pony up for the drive to work your gear every few weeks. If you want it bad enough, you will.

I drive an hour each way to my gym..... 2 or 3 times a week, the guys who come every 3rd week drive between one and three hours each way to train. When I need to be humbled and want to do serious work I will drive 95 miles to Rob Luyando's gym. Every time I do I feel like it is the bargain of the century and well worth twice that drive. We have had Jeff Johnson, Joe Smo, and Darilyn Doddy make the 7 hour trip down from Michigan to get a workout in with us, Jake Prazak drove about the same from the far end of Iowa...... if you want it bad enough you can make it happen.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!