Thread: Meet write up: Ron Fernando Memorial APF meet

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar

Meet write up: Ron Fernando Memorial APF meet

My wife and I just finished up our day at the Ron Fernando Memorial Meet.
    First off, I was really impressed with Jose Garcia's first go at running a meet. It was only a small gym meet with ~30 lifters but it ran quickly and smoothly and raised a good deal of money to support the family of a lost iron warrior...

There were some newer lifters who were really impressive, and I was really impressed with the guys from Poole's gym ( downstate... somewhere) and the small team from Jakked gym all put up big numbers. It was a great environment of everyone helping each other out and cheering, lots of fun.

My squat warmups after the bar were all in briefs. Took 250, added wraps and took 550. Added my suit and took 700 then 850.

My 910 opener felt light and flew up.
    I set up wide and didn't get a good set up with my 2nd at 970 and collapsed in the bottom.
    I moved my stance in an inch and absolutely smoked 970 on my third. I should have taken the grand that I wanted but I didn't want to risk missing it and leaving 60lbs off of my total.

Bench warm ups were 1,2,3, and 4 plates raw. 550 to a 1/2 board in the shirt.
    My opener of 655 flew up, so did my 2nd attempt at 705.
    733 flew up on my third and locked out quick, but drifted in to the rack before I got the "rack" call.... no good. That's the same number I slid off the bench with at the 2011 state meet ( popping my left wrist) and the same number I pulled at state, got the down call, and then got red-lighted for not locking out all the way... I'm never attempting 733 on anything ever again.

Deadlift warmups were 2 plates raw, 550 in the suit.... I'm too fat to waste energy warming up.
    My 650 opener flew up. I jumped to 727 for a 44lb. meet PR and SMOKED it on my second. At this point I realized that I needed a 777 pull to hit the 2450 I need for a SHW pro total. The most I have pulled in the gym is 735, but I felt strong so I went for it.
    I pulled my 3rd attempt to my knees and stalled out..... luckily Eric Lilliebridge from all the way n the back spotted that the bar was misloaded with 821. I can't believe I got that close with it even if it did feel like the world in my hands....

I took a minute and tried to retake 777 but I was fried after the last pull and it barely broke from the floor.

I ended with a PR total of 2403 which is okay, I guess. Not what I wanted but I'll take any PR's I get.

My wife only got her opener squat of 365 after breaking form with 402 twice.
    After missing it on her 2nd she smoked 205 on her third bench and pulled a huge PR of 303 for an 873 total in the 132 class. FYI Kristin works a very tight 2-ply Overkill shirt when she benches, the woman is absolutely amazing at working gear that overwhelms most guys. You'd have to see it to believe it.

Jose Garcia did one exhibition pull of 865lbs, then barely missed 881 at his knees.... after being at the gym all night setting up then spotting and loading for everyone all day. The man is a monster.

All in all it was a really fun day for a good cause, it was great meeting a lot of new people as well as seeing some familiar faces. I'll do my best to get some video up soon....
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Great total man. You'll smash a 1000 next time around. Keep up the hard work

Wannabebig Member
    Congrats on the PR. You really don't waste energy with warm-ups do you? 5 sets for squat and bench and 2 for deads?

Nice work for both you and the Mrs!

Quote Originally Posted by Ripe1 View Post
    Congrats on the PR. You really don't waste energy with warm-ups do you? 5 sets for squat and bench and 2 for deads?
    I do a lot of warming up without the bar on my back. Stretching out and mobility work. I do a few sets with just the bar for squats and bench then I get right to it. No raw squats other than the bar. By the time I get to pull I am already warm, it's just a matter of getting tight and getting my gear on. I usually do more work in training, but I do make big jumps when I want to go heavy.
    The meet site was pretty warm as well, if it were an icy hotel ballroom I might have added a set or two.

Thanks for the congrats as well, I appreciate it.
    The next step is to get out to Luyando's place to train more so that I never need to suffer the embarrassment of deadlifting more than I benched again.

Congratulations to you and your wife Barzeen!
    Great write-up by the way.

Sounds like it was a good meet. Thanks for taking the time to put together such a great write-up! I'm thinking you'll be hitting a 1,000 lbs squat and 800 lbs deadlift in the near future!

Awesome job on the meet!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I'm thinking you'll be hitting a 1,000 lbs squat and 800 lbs deadlift in the near future!
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

GREAT TOTAL. TOO BAD ON THE MISLOAD.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Great #s! Sounds like a lot more coming too! Congrats to you both! Jose is a great guy!
    Last edited by mastermonster; 12-20-2011 at 09:20 AM.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)