The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Breaking in new gear

Well this is my first time actually having brand new gear! I recently ordered a Titan singly ply katana, Titan centurion briefs, Titan Superior briefs and a pair of ace briefs.
    I bought everything sized pretty good! What would you guys do to the gear before actually trying to get it on? I'm sure the ace briefs will be the worst as i have some pretty big thighs! The reason i got so much i caught a sale on the ace briefs and the titan gear i got discounted for being a student!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

since when does titan have a student discount?!

I just found out about it lol! You have to have proof but its only for singly ply gear! but for all that titan gear plus max rpm wraps i paid about 160

Im no gear expert, but what I did w my new super centurion was just try to put it on at home, got it as far as it would go, sit there for a lil, pull it up more.......Did that a few times before I could ever get it on all the way. Each time it goes on a little easier. But if you wait to put it on till you get to the gym itll be a waste of a workout. If the legs are WAY to tight put a football or basketball or whatever and try to inflate it in the leg and let it sit overnight.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    I am not very well versed with powerlifting gear, but I have noticed that with new equipment it seems to be helpful to put on the gear and to start off with partial movements (box squats, rack pulls, board press) and then work your way into full range movements. After wearing the equipment a couple of times you should notice that it becomes more comfortable and you can learn the "groove".

Wearing under armor or something similar can be good for getting on tight-fitting gear.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    if it's fit properly you shouldn't be able to put any of it on at home in your living room, you should need a bar or rack to hang on and wiggle in to it.

Just take it to the gym and start working it, don't worry about depth your first day out, but get as close as you can. Same with touching in your shirt. If your form is dialed in and you have competent team mates it's a solid goal to get to a 1-board your first day in a shirt.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Well I am still new at breaking in serious multi ply gear.

Like Barzeen said. Get to the gym and work the gear. I am currently breaking in a new Overkill 2ply and a new Overkill 2ply deadlift suit.

I actually started by doing squats in the deadlift suit and have since moved to rack pulls going lower and lower progressivly each workout

You shouldnt be able to get into any gear sitting at your living room.
    Use them at the gym, spray with water all inseams every time, use A LOT of talcum powder, nylon/plastic bags to ease the pulling at the arms/legs, and work your way down.
    Start working with a 4 and 3 boards for the Katana and high box for the centurion.

I disagree with the working high boards or using a high box for new equipment. If you aren't careful what you do while training that way is you inadvertantly develop a different groove with the equipment than what you have for full range movements. For powerlifting equipment to work at an optimum, the lifter must work with the equipment, not against it.

For a new bench shirt--single ply or multiply--- I load it up the first time and work without boards until I either touch weight cleanly or I miss at the lockout. I'll try to get to this same weight or slightly over the next workout too. Work boards after that to work weak points.

For a pair of briefs, I usually try to get down to a box that is just over parallel or a parellel box with a firm foam pad on it. Then I work until the weights get good and heavy.

For a suit, if it is single ply, I feel it out alot like a pair of briefs. For multiply, I try to get to parallel with the straps relatively loose.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Thanks everybody! i couldnt get anything on by myself or even with some help so i let the gym owner wear my briefs over his briefs for our speed day and they stretched enough to where i could fit them! Wont put the shirt on until next week and the ace briefs will probably be a week or 2

JK1, if you touch your chest using a brand new bench shirt (at least the ones Ive tried with closed back: F6, Katana and Super Katana single ply), in less than 6 weeks, is beacuse you are using a very large shirt.
    Last edited by Niko_El_Piko; 12-11-2011 at 12:13 PM.

For squat gear I just do free squats and realize that the first session or two I won't be getting to depth. I am a huge fan of box squats for gaining strength, but not really for testing out new gear because the groove is a little different.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_El_Piko View Post
    JK1, if you touch your chest using a brand new bench shirt (at least the ones Ive tried with closed back: F6, Katana and Super Katana single ply), in less than 6 weeks, is beacuse you are using a very large shirt.
    no. If you can't touch in a single ply shirt, you aren't setting the shirt correctly or you are not putting enough weight on the bar. if it is taking 6 weeks something is definately wrong with what you are doing in my opinion. A 2 ply shirt is a bit different, it may take a bit longer, but you should be touching by the 6th time you use the shirt. If not, something is wrong.

Too many people make the mistake of trying to use a shirt that is way too tight or they jack the shit out of the shirt the very first time they use it. What does that accomplish?

You need to not jack a shirt in anyway the first several times you use it. If you are doing that and can still touch weight, the shirt is definately too big. At the same time, if you are wearing a single ply shirt that takes 2 guys more than a couple of minutes to pull you into it (like my typical 1 ply shirt) too tight is not the issue. My opinion is to set the collar high (this may include setting the arm seams in depending on the shirt type) and work to touch weight. Then work on bringing the collar down. I personally can set my single ply SK (this is my meet shirt if I'm benching in single ply, and it is a broke in shirt) so I can touch in the mid 600's or crank it so I can't touch 800. If I remember right, I touched something around 700 with that particular shirt the first time I used it.

You need to know how to use your equipment to get the most from it.
    Last edited by JK1; 12-11-2011 at 05:02 PM.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Once again thanks! my goal for the bench shirt is to just get to a 2 board my first time in it because i cant even get my hands out to my regular grip! so i dont wanna overdo it! My ace briefs i'm working on stretching them out with a ball! I got them halfway up by myself earlier. My other 2 pair of briefs i dont wanna mess with really as my weight gain makes them almost impossible. Once i get down to my weight i will start working those in until the i have plenty other gear i can use. I'm a gear whore remember that lol

i got into my katana today! i ended up 435x2 to a 2board which is good considering it was my speed bench day! I will be back in it sometime later in the week!

JK, what I meant is touching consistently and bringing the bar to the "spot".
    You'll agree with me that the first 2/3 weeks (in my case I worked the brand new single ply SK once a week), you need to pull really hard the barbell, and at least in my case I couldn't be really consistent in the control of the bar working the pull to the spot. A lot of the times, the barbell just snapped down or up to my face.
    I used a Katana #50 and got a brand new Super Katana #50.
    Any way, thanks for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_El_Piko View Post
    JK, what I meant is touching consistently and bringing the bar to the "spot".
    You'll agree with me that the first 2/3 weeks (in my case I worked the brand new single ply SK once a week), you need to pull really hard the barbell, and at least in my case I couldn't be really consistent in the control of the bar working the pull to the spot. A lot of the times, the barbell just snapped down or up to my face.
    I used a Katana #50 and got a brand new Super Katana #50.
    Any way, thanks for your comments.

I agree with JK1 on this. If you're experienced with shirts and your technique is really good you should be able to touch or be very close in one or two sessions. The 1st time I got 600 in a meet was in a 50 F6 that I bought from Ken Anderson at the meet. I barely made 275's and had about a 54 inch chest at the time. I opened at 545 in an old 50 Fury, did a 405 2 board in the W.U. room after a fast change to the new F6 to set it, then did 584, then 600 and just missed 622 on a 4th. The F6 was right out of the bag. I've seen JK1 bench in meets and his technique is flawless. Shirt experience and degree of perfection in technique will have a lot to do with how long it will take you to tame a properly fitted shirt.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermonster View Post
    I agree with JK1 on this. If you're experienced with shirts and your technique is really good you should be able to touch or be very close in one or two sessions. The 1st time I got 600 in a meet was in a 50 F6 that I bought from Ken Anderson at the meet. I barely made 275's and had about a 54 inch chest at the time. I opened at 545 in an old 50 Fury, did a 405 2 board in the W.U. room after a fast change to the new F6 to set it, then did 584, then 600 and just missed 622 on a 4th. The F6 was right out of the bag. I've seen JK1 bench in meets and his technique is flawless. Shirt experience and degree of perfection in technique will have a lot to do with how long it will take you to tame a properly fitted shirt.
    Thanks for the comments.

I also bought my shirts form Ken Anderson, and my first shirt was a F6 and was awesome. Totally agree, I could handle the weight smoothly and with precision.
    The issue here is with the Super Katana. I'm not sure why, but as I said, I am finding very difficult to control the bar. To be honest, I need to break it some more time.
    And let me tell you, that no. I am not experienced with shirts. Less than 2 years. I had very good feed back from Travis Bell when I bought my first F6, and he recommended Ken.
    Basically although I've been involved in weightlifting for over 27 years, I have little experience with geared lifting.

Once again, thanks for your support. Keep up the good work.

Niko, the Super Katana is a different animal I agree. The groove is totally different than an F6, and with the super collar; even quite different than the regular Katana. I have to really tuck the elbows hard and somewhat 'roll' the shoulders downward more than bending the elbows as much. This creates a very low touch point. Probably lower than IPF legal if you have longer upper arms. What happens with me is a two fold lowering technique. I do this tuck of the elbows and rotating of the shoulder girdle while, at the same time pushing the belly up to meet the bar. I, and JK1; have the advantage of being built to bench. Short upper arms and very thick, high rib cages; which gives the framework to really 'billow' up the belly from. I can imagin a longer armed guy with a more 'normal' size ribcage would have a much harder time taming the Super Katana. And probably couldn't function with one as tight as we do. But that same 'bench press build' is why we are not noted for our 'monster' deadlifts. LOL!I guess every plus has it's minus. Hope some of this helps you get a handle on that SK. If you can, it's a hell of a shirt! Good luck with it!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

My first shirt i bought was from a friend it was a singly ply super katana i somehow got 365 to touch once and never again i then got an f6 and since gotten 430 to touch. I just recently bought a regular katana and got 435 to a 2board for a double quite easily

Quote Originally Posted by mastermonster View Post
    Niko, the Super Katana is a different animal I agree. The groove is totally different than an F6, and with the super collar; even quite different than the regular Katana. I have to really tuck the elbows hard and somewhat 'roll' the shoulders downward more than bending the elbows as much. This creates a very low touch point. Probably lower than IPF legal if you have longer upper arms. What happens with me is a two fold lowering technique. I do this tuck of the elbows and rotating of the shoulder girdle while, at the same time pushing the belly up to meet the bar. I, and JK1; have the advantage of being built to bench. Short upper arms and very thick, high rib cages; which gives the framework to really 'billow' up the belly from. I can imagin a longer armed guy with a more 'normal' size ribcage would have a much harder time taming the Super Katana. And probably couldn't function with one as tight as we do. But that same 'bench press build' is why we are not noted for our 'monster' deadlifts. LOL!I guess every plus has it's minus. Hope some of this helps you get a handle on that SK. If you can, it's a hell of a shirt! Good luck with it!
    Thanks for your post Monster.
    I am 5 ft 8 and 186 lbs, and quite standard, but with a big ribcage as you said. But to be honest, what I need to do is WORK HARD with my SK. Getting advice from you guys will make my job easier.
    Thanks for the feedback. Keep up the good work!