Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Amounirl's Training Log

Thanks Coke!
    Best Lifts: 425/285/545 at 200

Goals for this year: 495/315/585, 500/365/600

Probably not going to train today, diet and sleep have been off these last 2 days and I'm still sore as hell from last session. Last night it was really hot so even though I got into bed at 11:00, I didn't fall asleep till 2:00, then my roommates alarm woke me up at 6:30. I"m just going to go tomorrow since the mag/ort program calls for no deadlifts this Thursday.

10-16-12: Squat/Bench/Row

Squat
    5x225
    5x265
    3x5x295

Bench
    3x3x135
    3x185
    1x205 paused 80%
    11x180 repped 70%

Pendlay Row
    3x5x175
    2x8x135

Decent day today. Squats went great, technique felt awesome on the warmups, on the work sets I couldn't really tell, but it seemed good. Bench is officially in the shitter. I didn't even try for 5x225 today, so I just started a 7 week bench cycle I got from lift-run-bang.com where you hit progressively heavier paused singles, then do back off sets for max reps. I think that doing any kind of volume on my squats before hand kills my bench technique, my hips get way too pumped and therefore unflexible and I can't get any leg drive whatsoever, and my arch gets screwed up too. Bar path was good though, and besides the shit leg drive and arch, and on rep 11: ass coming off the bench and shoulders going unpinched, everything else was fine. Warming up with a thumbless grip works wonders for the bar path. Still pissed that my bench sucks though, and that squatting anything besides singles and maybe doubles/triples before hand kills it, but at least OHP is going well. Pendlays felt good today as well, felt it all in the lats, traps, forearms, and biceps, just like it should be, while moving decent weight. Only slight kipping, but not enough to degrade the quality of the movement. I think I'll just suck it up for the next 7 weeks on bench, maybe if I ever run squats and bench on the same day again I'll do front squats on my bench day and/or do legs after bench so my leg drive doesn't get messed up. Or hit a heavy single on squats, then do bench, then do the squats for volume, to get used to squatting before benching for if I ever decide to do a meet. But the last option is overly complicated.

Recovery has been good and bad. Sleep has been the worst it's been since I was a depressed nerdy insomniac in 9th grade and played video games until 2 AM , feel asleep at 4 AM, then woke up for school at 7 AM every day (maybe I would have grown to be 6'3 like my dad instead of 5'11 if I'd actually ate/slept properly back then...) It's really hot at night so it takes me 2 hours to fall asleep, then my roommates always wake up at 6:30 and I can't go back to sleep because their alarms go on loud for a pretty long time for them to wake up, which wakes me up instantly and then continues to wake me up for the 5 minutes it plays until I"m wide awake, and they finally shut it off. Not their fault that they're heavier sleepers than me but it still sucks. Also this weekend I made a huge mistake. The dining halls closed at 8 pm on friday, and because all the lines at restaurants were insanely long, I just popped some fish oil and told myself I was doing intermittent fasting for some stupid reason. I ended up going out that night and getting to bed at 5 AM, then woke up at 10 AM, and got out of bed at 12 AM to eat. So I went 16 hours without food, on no sleep, while on a high carb diet. I weighed myself on thursday night at 198, then on sunday after eating 6 meals I was only 194, and looked smaller and fatter in the mirror. I really hope I didn't lose 4 lbs of muscle. I look better today, haven't weighed myself but based on my performance in the gym, my pressing muscles either shrunk or are overtrained due to heavy pressing 3x/week, and everything else is fine.

On the bright side though I started doing yoga 10-30 mins every day so my mobility is already improving and all my joints hurt less (probably also due to fish oil). Also I learned my lesson that I respond well to a steady intake of nutrients, and from the last 3 times I've fasted and the last 4 times I've cut, I've learned that if I go low calories on a high carb diet I just lose muscle, so I need to be already fat adapted in order to go low calories without losing muscle, or if I want to lose fat (cyclic ketosis diet).

The benching will come around more to your liking, gonna be good to focus on 'em more the next few weeks - sounds like a plan. You will really be on point once you get everything squared away, including the rest/sleep factor. The fact that you are maintaining around the 195 mark should be assuring.

Fish oil and yoga can only do good things, bud!

Very strong squatting, there, too. You still able to do the martial arts, now you're at college? Or you giving that a rest till the holidays?
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Thanks guys! Bench could also be suffering because I"m doing heavy pressing 3x/week, so this bench routine might be the switch up I need. I am starting with a somewhat aggressive training max so if the routine fails I'll know why. I'll be running 5/3/1 again starting in december which I know 100% works for my bench so there's a bright light at the end of the tunnel no matter what.

10-18-12: High Bar Squat/Incline Bench/Upper Back Work

High Bar Squat
    5x185
    5x225
    5x245
    5x245
    10x245

Incline Bench
    5x5x140

Rows
    135x5 underhand pendlays
    135x3x10 drag rows

Curls
    40xbar

Good day today, I decided to rep the last set of high bar squats out since I'm not doing deads today and got up to 10 reps before it got questionable that I would make the next one (might have had 12 or 13 in me), paused the last one at the bottom, and owned the weight. Been doing these without a belt, might end up running these instead of low bar squats when I do smolov base cycle in December. Since they're not really true high bars and more of a high/low bar hybrid (still works my lower back and hamstrings well), I think I can get the benefits of both types of squats without overworking my lower back, and I'll be doing this split for smolov:

Tues: 4x9 squat, 5/3/1 Bench; Thurs: 5x7 squat, 5/3/1 barbell row (dips between sets); Sat: 7x5 squat, 5/3/1 overhead press (chins between sets); Sun: 10x3 squat, speed deads work up in singles, then heavy rack pulls to maintain grip. If I start to get knee, calf, or upper back problems from the high bar squats I can switch back to low bar, and if I get back problems from that I can ditch smolov. But for now I"m hoping to do it with high bar squats.

Inclines felt decent, the 2nd set I grooved it perfectly, but otherwise I'm still finding my bar path on these. Getting better though. Rows were good, got a crazy good trap pump. I've been reading a lot of lift-run-bang and Paul Carter always talks about high reps curls, and posts videos of himself doing 100+rep curls, so I wanted to try it out today. I got the first 30 reps clean, but then my biceps were so pumped and fatigued that the amount of strength left in my biceps didn't feel like enough to overcome the lack of flexibility brought on by the pump. So the last 10 were ugly, but it's no big deal, the whole point is to get a lot of blood flowing through the elbows while working the biceps, so in that regard it was successful. Had a good time in the gym today.

Sleep was bad as usual, it's been really hot and humid, so I was sweating a lot in bed trying to fall asleep. Every time I almost fell asleep, either somebody outside would yell, laugh, or make a loud noise, which would penetrate through my earplugs and wake me up, or this fly that's been tormenting me and my roommates would land on me and swiping it would wake me up. So it took me 3 hours to fall asleep again. Sleep was sporadic, but I was in bed from 11 pm to 10 am, and got maybe 5-7 hours of sleep. Felt like my muscles recovered well somehow, but mentally I've felt tired all day today. Could be the fact I'm eating a lot, which is one plus, my diet has been pretty good, 4-6 meals per day, each with lots of protein, and comprised of whole foods. Today after training I had 2 plates of rice/beans/tri tip steak with 2 glasses of milk.

Bodyweight is 199, getting back up in the zone!

Quote Originally Posted by amounirl View Post
    Bodyweight is 199, getting back up in the zone!
    Sounds good, right on schedule regardless.

Thanks Coke!

Parents visited me today so I don't really have time to go to the gym. I'll train front squat, chins, and OHP tomorrow, do a squat deload (normal bench and rows) on tuesday, then hit the high bar squat, inclines, and deads hard on thursday.

10-21-12: Front Squat/OHP/Chins

Front Squat
    3x5x235

OverHead Press
    2x5x135
    2x4x135 after 2nd set of 4 immediately 5x65 BTN press
    1x10x65 BTN

Chin Ups
    3x5xBW+40

Side Raises
    3 sets of varying reps around 10, with 25 lb DBs

All right day today. My hips were incredibly tight, haven't been stretching unfortunately, last few days have been a bit hectic. Also I've been walking around a lot, which is a lot of stress on the hips. Despite that front squats went well, paused a lot of the reps so I could really feel full control, that I'd owned the weight. Although it's starting to become a habit that on low bar and front squats I pause a lot of the reps, which could be detrimental in the long run. I just love that feeling of lifting the weight with such full and supreme control. If only I felt the same way about flat bench press.

OHP I probably could have gotten 3x5x135, but the whole time my technique felt a bit off, and on the 3rd set I forgot to push my abs out/brace my core, so the 4th rep was a huge grinder, and the 5th was obviously failure. Hitting failure on that set doomed me to not getting the 5th rep again on set 4, even though my technique was relatively good. I did BTN press as part of my warmup for OHP, and somehow I feel like that hurt my technique a bit, not sure how but it did feel a little different after doing BTN press. BTN press though, I've found a way to do it without hurting the shoulders, thanks to lift-run-bang, by actually using a wider grip and pushing out to the sides, so the pressure pushes the shoulder into the socket, not shearing it out of the socket and stretching so far back. Did it pain free but again, somehow it hurt my groove for regular OHP when I included it in the warmup, even if it did help loosen up my shoulders more. I'll just stick to band rotations. I'm going to start 5/3/1 for my OHP again because 3x5 is too much of a pain in the ass to deload and reprogress with, plus I like the freedom and accommodation for bad days in 5/3/1 a lot better. 5/3/1 is a great routine all around, I can't wait to start it up again in December.

Chin ups were good, nice and smooth 3x5x40, next week I'll try 3x5x45, which will be a 2 rep PR, for 3 sets. It seems everything but my pressing muscles are progressing... Though the side raises gave me a crazy good pump in the shoulders and traps, gotta keep doing those for the mirror muscle effect, and possibly OHP gains. Squat deload, bench cycle week 2, and pendlay rows coming up on Tuesday.

No training today, had a really hard, 3.5 hr chem lab and I'm drained as hell from it. Plus I've been incredibly sleep deprived, so I have no energy right now. Tuesdays are definitely not training days. Tomorrow I've allotted 3 hours in the afternoon where there's no doubt I can train, so I'm going to go do a squat deload, bench, and deadlifts that day, followed by probably some DB incline bench or other bodybuilding work. Looked flat in the mirror all day today, even after eating carbs. Then I'll lift again on Saturday, start taking melatonin, and do whatever I have to do to get my sleep back on track, maybe get some earplugs that don't suck. This last 1-1.5 weeks have been really off on everything. Just gotta get back into the rhythm again, this time with no compromise.

10-24-12: 3x3 Squats

Squat
    5x225
    3x245
    10x275
    3x315
    16x225

Good Mornings
    3x10x140

That's it, great session today. Decided to start 5/3/1 again because the 3x5 routine is not only boring, but it also just sucks having to do so many compound movements for so many different body parts for so many heavy sets across with the same weight, all in the same rep range. Had the best training session in weeks today, I've switched over to high bar squatting exclusively because it doesn't give me hip and back problems like low bar does (which is partially my fault, due to mediocre technique on low bar, partially not my fault, due to the awkward leverages of a short torso and long femurs-or maybe that is my fault :P). High bar squats feel a million times better, and I felt really strong on them today, first time wearing a belt on these. I think I'll do what Ed Coan did and high bar squat for most of the year, and only low bar squat when I peak strength for meets. I can bear the hip/back problems for the short periods a peaking cycle entails. I'll still do dynamic low bar box squats to warm up for deadlifts so my technique shouldn't decay, and I'm doing GMs no matter what on high bar days to keep up my posterior chain strength, just not heavy enough to mess up my joints, but rather light weight, focus on the muscle, bodybuilding style.

Felt really strong today, 275 was supposed to be my 3 set, and I pushed it to 10 reps, might have even had 11, but 275x10 is a 30 lb PR. 315 was supposed to be 295 for singles, but I upped the weight and hit a solid triple. 225 was my drop down set, I was supposed to use 215 (70% of 305 training max), but I'm going to bump up the training max to 330 because 315 feels like a good 95% for my training max. My real max is probably around 345, but I'm going to use the low training max protocol, so I can hit higher reps. I just need to make sure 95% is heavy enough for the singles. Maybe I'll just pause them.

From what I understand, it seems like the majority of the year should be spent on higher reps, and the purpose of peaking cycles is to draw upon whatever latent limit strength lies underneath all the high reps, for the purpose of 1-2 weeks of being at max strength, where you would want to do a meet. I always thought you should train heavy all year and that peaking was stupid, but now I'm finally starting to understand, or at least I think I am. So again, that's what I'll do, train with high reps for most of the year, and just peak for meets.

10-25-12: 3x3 Bench/Chins

Bench
    5x165
    3x190
    5x210
    225 for 3 singles
    13x165

Chins
    5xBW
    5x10
    3x35
    6x45

Behind Neck Press
    3x10x65

Trap Bar Drag Rows
    3x10x135 (10 rows 10 shrugs)

Tricep Pressdowns
    50x40 lbs

Cable Curls
    50-60x40 lbs (might have double counted the 30s/40s and done 10 extra)

External Rotations
    2x10x20 lbs

Bench went pretty well today. Still not as strong as I"d like to be but it looks like 235 is a solid training max for me. I'll just have to get my hip flexor mobility back up so I can leg drive well again. I think the benches here are lower, which is making me unable to leg drive without my ass coming off the bench, which is why my bench has been so terrible since I got here. I'll just have to adapt. Everything else felt great though, and ass only came off the bench on the 5th rep of 210, 225 singles and 165x13 were both clean. Also all my reps on all my sets except 165x13 were paused, so even the 210x5 was paused.

Chins went well, got a nice 3 rep PR with 45 added. BTN press went great, trying a new technique on these which doesn't hurt my shoulders that I got from lift-run-bang, a little bit of clicking in the left shoulder but no pain besides regular muscle soreness after the set. Drag Rows were all right, I think I'd rather do it with a straight bar than a shrug bar. Came back to my dorm and went to the small gym there to do arms, did some high rep stuff on the cable machine, then some ext rotations. Overall a good day, I'm really sore in my legs from yesterday and I'm sure I'll be really sore everywhere tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by amounirl View Post
    From what I understand, it seems like the majority of the year should be spent on higher reps, and the purpose of peaking cycles is to draw upon whatever latent limit strength lies underneath all the high reps, for the purpose of 1-2 weeks of being at max strength, where you would want to do a meet. I always thought you should train heavy all year and that peaking was stupid, but now I'm finally starting to understand, or at least I think I am. So again, that's what I'll do, train with high reps for most of the year, and just peak for meets.
    No matter what route you take and where you are going with it, being more aware, instinctive and smart training will get you there. Pretty good plan targeting higher reps more often. What I am finding more essential and most often overlooked is plain lifting period...more lighter and moderate weights keep everything in check. You can always go all out, there's gonna be a time for that.
    Last edited by Coke; 10-25-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Sounds solid Coke, thanks!

10-27-12: Deadlifts

Dynamic warmup Box Squat
    5x135

Deadlifts
    4x365
    4x365
    4x365
    4x365
    2x415
    2x465
    12x365 2 rep PR

Hanging Leg Raise
    1x15

Great day today. Training partner is out of town so I blasted through this workout in about 1-1.5 hours, then spent another 30 mins-1 hr BSing with friends in the gym and teaching my friend how to clean. Deads felt pretty good, took me a while to refind my groove since it's been a while, the 415 felt impossibly hard because my technique sucked, but on the 465 my technique was solid and it actually felt lighter than 415. I think for the first time in a while I didn't dip under heavy weight. The 365x12 was a 2 rep PR, but I bounced it a little. Not very much at all, but it definitely wasn't just touch n go. Still was a ball buster though so I"m fine with that. All other reps were paused and reset at the bottom, every rep pulled like a single (except on the sets of 4 where I"ll do 2 reps with right hand underhand, just resetting the hips but keep gripping the bar between, then switch my grip for and do the same where I just reset hips but don't let go of the bar for the last 2 reps). Still felt like I had energy after all this but I'm lazy so I just did a set of hanging leg raises then called it a day. Oddly enough my hamstrings were really sore going in, but aren't as sore afterwards, probably because of getting blood through the area. I feel like high bar squats are helping my deadlift lockout because they work my glutes so much more than low bar squats. GMs also are helping the lockout too. I'm incredibly happy to be on 5/3/1 again, I was getting really sick of doing upper and lower on the same day.

The high rep heavy deads are no joke, that's quite intense...also, good to be helping your friend out.

Strong work all round, Amounirl! 10x275 on Squats and 12x365 on Deads is impressive stuff!
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Thanks guys! I love squats/deads just as much as I hate them. Well I used to hate squats more, but I'm actually starting to like them now that I"m doing high bar.

10-28-12: 3x3 OHP

OHP
    5x105
    3x120
    6x135
    3x120
    10x105

Supinated Pendlay Row
    3x10x115

Incline Bench
    3x10x105

Cable Rows
    2x8x130
    2x8x120

Bench Press
    5x5x170 (3 pull ups between sets, 7 pullups afterwards)

Stuffing my face with turkey
    2xF

Tricep Pressdowns
    75x20 lbs

Cable Curls
    75x30 lbs

External Rotations
    25x10 lbs

Great training session today. OHP seems to be going up, got some good reps in. Did some chin up triples in between sets. Pendlays I was focusing on the muscle instead of the movement, got some good lat work in although my lats and traps are really sore from deadlifts yesterday. Inclines went well, could have gone heavier but I'm starting light in my cycle (1st week, 3x10, 2nd week, 2x8/1x6, 3rd week 3x5, increase by 5 every 5/3/1 cycle). Focused on movement and tucking elbows, every rep paused at the bottom, but not paused on the top to keep tension/tightness. Cable Rows I haven't done in a while but they went well, tried to focus on the muscle but still ended up doing half movement half muscle. I really liked the 25 reps total protocol I was doing before where I increased by 5 every week, so I decided after my OHP workout when I"m tired I"ll do some technique focused bench with 75% and aim for 25 reps total to get some extra practice in, without being able to go heavy enough to mess up my normal training. Felt pretty decent, I put a 2.5 lb plate underneath the bench to make it a normal bench height, which helped with the leg drive a bit, although I was focusing more on the bar path/movement and not so much on leg drive. Just felt really heavy for 170. Every rep was paused except on the last set where I went for 7 reps. Tried to pause the 7th but ended up losing my grove and shooting it into the rack before even locking out. No big deal, even though I also did 6 reps on set 2 I"m just putting 5x5, simpler. Hopefully I can get my work capacity up and start doing the 5/8/9/5 rep scheme I was doing before I have the strength for it fresh but doing it after hitting a bunch of volume work is tough. Although it was fun benching when I had such a huge pump because I felt really tight, in a good way, and my lats were so pumped that I could feel them pushing my elbows off the bottom. Tried to rep out wide grip pullups afterwards but I'd done so many pull ups and so much lat work that I was way too tired, tried to grind rep 8 but I gave up from fatigue. Headed to the dining halls afterwards and ate a ton of turkey, potatoes, stuffing, asian beef with noodles, and 2.5 glasses of milk. Then I dragged my bloated ass over to the small gym a stones throw from my dorm room and did some high rep cable arm and rotator cuff work. I"m incredibly sore all over, so I'm glad I'm not training again until Wednesday.

Also forgot to mention that I did 3x10x20s side raises in between sets of cable rows, although that went pretty poorly, couldn't really feel my side delts, going to start doing those seated again till I build that mind muscle connection. Diet has been all right this weekend, and sleep has been terrible. Crazy halloween stuff going on so I've been going to bed really late.

10-31-12: 3x5 Squats

Squat
    5x225
    5x250
    11x280 1 rep and 5 lb PR

GMs
    3x10x135

Decline Sit Ups
    10x25
    6x25
    2x10x10

Hill Sprints
    Ortega hill x 6 "reps"

Pretty good training session today. The 11x280 set of squats killed me, but it puts my projected max at 360 which would make it worth a 15 lb gain in strength. Keeping training max at 330 though. Been eating crazy amounts of food, I still have 1-2 meals that I'm going to eat later today, and I've already had probably 5000 calories today, to make up for all the walking I've been doing. Anyways, since that set killed me I didn't do the down pyramid. The main thing is to get at least 5x65%, 5x75%, 5x85%, at the bare minimum, on a day when I feel terrible and I"m throwing up. So repping the 85% was good, I'm not stressing about not doing the down pyramid. GMs I kept constant tension instead of resting at the top, which made it a lot more challenging, even if the weight felt light and went up fast, just trying to make the most out of 135 as per advice of Jim Wendler. Might start using bands on this because of the strength curve. Did some abs after, for the first time in forever, felt decent but I have no stamina. There's this dining hall called Ortega I go to for breakfast with this decent sprinting hill next to it where I went to do some sprints after I trained. A rep constitutes sprinting up the hill then walking back down, no rest after reaching the bottom, just sprint, walk down, sprint, walk down: reps. Technique was a bit off on the squats today though, mostly because I was in a slight rush and didn't take as much time to warm up as usual. The 11 set was great though because my friend I was training with was really pissed that he slept through his midterm this morning, and I was able to feed off his anger. No downtime sitting around psyching myself up, everything was instant. The only down time I had was waiting for my gas to pass, so to speak, from all the protein and carbs I've been eating.

On that note, my meals for today were
    1: 2 eggs, 4 egg whites, small bowl of oatmeal
    2: huge bowl of oatmeal, 2 glasses of milk (felt like throwing up for 3 hours after this one)
    3: pizza, chicken gumbo, beef burrito, glass of milk
    4: (post training) 3 glasses of milk
    5: plate of beans and rice and 1 or 2 glasses of milk
    6: bowl of broccoli and bowl of greek yogurt with granola
    upcoming 7 and maybe 8: burgers, fries, and more milk (at least 2 glasses)

Maybe not 5000 calories, but a lot of calories and protein nonetheless. Bodyweight was 201 last night, don't feel like weighing myself right now but my BW is definitely going up. Arms (high rep curls are awesome), legs (high bar squats are great) and shoulders (BTN press is amazing!) look bigger, but so does my belly. No big deal, been doing enough conditioning that when I stop eating so many damn calories, fat should come off fairly easily. Sleep has been all right but not good, some nights are great, other nights suck balls. Feel a lot better than last week though, might have to start playing around with adding some melatonin to get my sleep schedule back on track after late nights. Like tonight, I know I won't get to bed before 2:00, so I'll have to take melatonin tomorrow night so I can fall asleep at 11.

11-1-12: Bench/Chins

Bench
    5x155 paused thumbless
    5x175 paused
    7x200 paused
    16x165 no pauses except the last rep

Chins
    2x5xBW
    9xBW+20
    7xBW

Behind Neck Press
    2x10x75
    1x12x75

Drag Rows
    2x10x135 10 shrugs
    1x15x135 15 shrugs

Meal

Face Pulls
    50x20 lbs
    50x40 lbs

Tricep Pressdowns
    75x30 lbs

Cable Curls
    50 or 75x42.5 lbs

Training was ok today. I was kind of bummed I only got 7 with 200, but then I realized each rep was paused, and both times I've gotten 9x200 were not paused, or maybe only the last rep was paused the second time I got it. I was truly bummed on the 165 though because I know my 15rm was once 185. At least I'm getting the volume in, and considering the bench is narrow, low to the ground, and the bar is somewhat thicker than a normal one, it's not too bad. Technique was good and bad. Leg drive and back activation sucked, but bar path was rock solid. So I guess I got some back activation since the bar path was good, I just didn't feel it, and I wasn't really pulling apart, especially on the 16x165 because after a lot of reps I just feel numb and am not focused on anything but moving the weight. Arch also sucked, weight was hardly on my traps at all, I talked it over with my training partner and we agreed we'll do a 15 min warm up of stretching before we hit the weights, each time we go to the gym, instead of stretching between warm up sets. I'll probably do some handstand bridges and foam rolling to open up the hips and shoulders. I've gotten into the bad habit of not warming up properly, since a lot of the people I've been lifting with (working in with, since the gym is usually pretty crowded) are the type that throw their work weight on the bar before even doing a warm up set, so I'm rushed to get my set in with the bar and stretch while the other guy is doing his set.

Chins went all right, although on my back down BW set I was aiming for 12 reps, but on rep 7 my right forearm cramped up and I wasn't man enough to push through it. Been a bit dehydrated lately, which could have something to do with it. Also haven't been necessarily getting my potassium in. BTN press was good, a little clicking in the left shoulder on set 1 and 2 but on set 3 I pushed my elbows forward which stopped it. Got a nice 10 lbs PR across sets, then repped out the last one to 12, maybe had 13 but not looking to hit failure on these just yet. Gonna keep adding weight till I reach a decent weight for doing 4x8, then just stick with that and add weight slowly. Did some drag rows afterwards, I think next time I"ll just do 2x15, then the next week 3x15, just making the most out of 135 where I can get a good ROM, till I can get about 25 reps across sets, before moving up. Got a nice trap pump where I had difficulty turning my neck and looking to the side, which felt pretty beastly. Got a decent quick meal of 3 glasses of milk, but I"m skipping a solid meal so I can get my appetite back, I feel like I've been full for the last 3 days straight. Gonna go eat in about an hour, still within the 3 hrs post training window. Did some face pulls, the first set was easy, did the triceps and biceps before the 2nd set. Triceps were crazy, I had trouble moving my arms past 45 degrees because they were so pumped at the end. Cable curls I don't remember how many reps I got, pretty sure it was 75 but I wouldn't think that I had enough strength to get that many reps, so it may have been 50. I'm 75% sure it was 75 reps though. Last set of face pulls killed me, my shoulders were straight up hurting and cramping for about 30-45 minutes afterwards. Tried to do some external rotations but I could barely get a good ROM because my shoulders were so cramped and sore, so I did some "constant tension" ones with a 6 inch ROM, 25 reps with 10 lbs on each arm. Good day overall.

Nice with those workouts bro.

May have to try the melatonin, if you think it helps your sleep schedule a great deal do let me know.

Thanks Coke! I still havne't taken it yet but I'm definitely going to try it on Sunday night

11-3-12: Deadlifts

Deadlift
    4x4x375
    2x425
    2x475: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HntfarCTy_c
    10x375 (easy)

Ortega Hill Sprints
    7 sprint reps
    Ortega hill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM-fNiB5e7Y

Pretty good session today. 375 felt really easy, 425 felt really hard, 475 first rep felt easy but then my abs cramped, messing up my form on rep 2, which made it feel hard. I think it could have been an easy double if my abs didn't cramp, and probably even a triple if I wanted to push for it. Don't want to tap into recovery too much because sleep has sucked (got 3 hours last night) and potentially will suck for the next few days, so I didn't push the high rep set of 375 at the end, just winged it, 10 very easy reps, probably could have gotten 12-14. Just took a video of Ortega Hill, doesn't do it justice at all, I"m not saying it's a super brutal hill but the video makes it look like nothing. It's a medium-small size hill, about 100-150 ft in length and 50-75 ft in height, but it still gives me a good workout. Cardio is definitely improving, although I'm looking fatter and fatter in the mirror. I think a lot of it is bloat, and the fact I did weighted abs the other day, because my abs still feel really hard even when my belly is huge, not very much fat over it, just a huge belly and big abs, and a small ribcage which makes it look bigger. I"m definitely gaining fat though, and I"m upping conditioning to try to combat that, but I'll have to do a solid cut when I get the chance, probably Jamie Lewis's "Apex Predator Diet".

On a relevant note, since I only got 3 hours of sleep I had 1/3 of a black widow energy pill before lifting, which would be something like 13mg caffiene, and 3mg epehdra extract and 3mg yohimbine, along with some other stuff like naringen. Gave me a slight boost so I was functioning just a very slight bit better than I would be if I'd gotten a good sleep last night, but I think it may have contributed to the really fast speed of my first rep of 475. And if you didn't catch the video, enjoy it here, I'm very proud of this PR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HntfarCTy_c

Looking forward to 485x2 next week!