The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    11-4-12: OHP

OHP
    5x100
    5x120
    7x130
    12x105 2 rep PR

Pendlay Rows
    2x8x135
    6x155
    12x135 rep PR

Incline Bench
    10x115
    2x8x135
    5x155 1 rep PR
    5x145
    6x145

Ok day today. On OHP I'm experimenting with a narrower grip because even though the ROM is larger it doesn't feel too much weaker, I feel a lot more muscular activation but not much of a drop off in strength, so I think it has potential to be stronger than the wider grip. Plus I got 2 more reps on my drop down 70% set, probably mostly due to working volume more often now, but possibly because of this technique being superior leverages, and me getting more used to it. Pendlays felt good, very strong, didn't go too heavy but I'm sure 12x135 is a PR, just don't know by how much. I know I was stronger at some point in the past because I've gotten 155 for 10 before. I"m confident 5/3/1 will get me back up there though, and beyond. Incline bench was good and bad. I was only expecting to be able to do my 8 rep sets with 115 but it was so easy, so I bumped it up to 135 and had 2 decent sets. First one I didn't do pauses, but the second I did. Just feeling it out. I got cocky and tried 155 for my 6 rep set, pretty sure I was pausing them, but on rep 6 my ass came 1-2 feet off the bench to get it up, so I'm just counting it as 5. Still a PR though over my previous best, 155x4, but I"m not too excited about it since my max bench at the time was like 225 or 235 unpaused, so my incline bench would obviously be stronger now than then. Maybe next week I can do 3x5x155 though.

Then I dropped it down to 145, and here's where today got sh*tty. I probably could have gotten 6 reps the first time but I got a spot from my friend who's a bodybuilder. I've become pretty good friends with him since I met him when I came here about 6 weeks ago, really funny guy, and I've worked out with him a few times before and gotten good spots, but I've never actually debriefed him in how I like to get spotted. Every time he's spotted me I've been using light weights, so I didn't even struggle at all and he didn't even think he needed to help. But today since I was actually incline benching weights I would have to grind up, and since I assumed he knew how I wanted my spot, bad things happened. On rep 5 with 145 it was going up really slowly so he put his hands on it, even though I could still get it up. I guess he was expecting me to do some forced reps and negatives and the type of Dorian Yates inspired stuff he usually does, and I usually spot him on. I held it at the top for like 15 seconds trying to explain to him how I don't want him to touch the bar at all, and if I need help I'll say "grab it!", but holding it tired me out, so on rep 6 I wasn't going to make it, and I said grab it, but he did the bodybuilder forced reps shit where he barely helps and makes me grind it up. Good for bodybuilding where you only hit a muscle group on one day per week, and want to hit the muscle to maximum failure, where you're just trying to stimulate and break it down, bad for powerlifting where you work with heavy weights, low reps, several sets across, and train the same muscle groups multiple times per week, and try to progress strength on movements. Not bashing bodybuilders, but training like that is not good for my goals because it just saps the recovery and sabotages progressive overload when you go to failure and all that kind of shit. So I got really pissed off and yelled at him for a bit. Rested about 10 minutes since I knew going to failure would screw me over on the next set, and then got really jacked up for the next set and blew up 145 for 6 reps paused. Not his fault but still kind of messed up my session. Hopefully I can make it up by getting 3x5x155, then doing my other stuff next week.

I was really tired at this point from going to failure twice so I scrapped the t bar rows and light 5x5 technique reinforcer bench I was supposed to do. I'm just going to do a small session tomorrow where I do some treadmill sprints, push ups, face pulls, tricep extensions, and curls, then I'll have until wednesday to rest my legs and until thursday to rest my upper body.
    Best Lifts: 425/285/545 at 200

Goals for this year: 495/315/585, 500/365/600

Small session was pretty good yesterday. Did 20 push ups supersetted by 20 incline push ups, tricep pressdowns with 30 lbs for 100 reps supersetted by 10 wide grip push ups. Curled 30 for 100 reps, but the last 25 were sloppy, so after reaching 100 in 1 go, I kept holding the bar and rested with it in the bottom position, until I could muscle out 25 clean reps. The whole curl set went 75 clean, 25 sloppy, 10 sec rest, 15 clean, 10 sec rest, 10 clean. Then I tried to do some face pulls with a band from a high cable position but it was bothering my shoulder, I put it lower, around belly level, and did 75 reps with 30 lbs. Afterwards my shoulders and back were incredibly pumped, I actually looked like I had wide shoulders in the mirror. Definitely need to start hitting low face pulls heavy in the gym, and keep hitting them light in small sessions, for that shoulder development and bench press improvement. Didn't get a chance to do any sprints.

Wow man, been killin' it.

Thanks Coke!!!

11-7-12: 5/3/1 Squat

Squat
    5x250
    3x280
    7x315 (15 lb all time PR! 2 rep PR)
    16x250 (3 reps off my best ever, might have had 1 more, and definitely 3-4 more if I'd been fresh)

Leg Curls
    2x15xhalf assed

Food
    Chicken, mushroom, bread, 2 slices buffalo wing pizza, 2 glasses milk

Hill Sprints
    5 repsx Ortega hill (ran down each rep instead of walking down)

Food
    3.5 glasses milk

Great day today, decided to beef up the otherwise short session on paper by adding both meals consumed "mid" and post workout. Squats tired me wayy out so I had no energy to do anything afterwards besides some half assed leg curls. Squats went really well though, and I'm really happy with them, bumping my training max up 15 lbs from 330 to 345 for next cycle, not too crazy of a jump but a big enough jump so I don't end up hitting 320 for 10 reps next month or something like that, because I don't like being able to hit "95%" for more than 5 reps. Sure it's good to start low but this is less than 90% of my true max I"m using for my training max right now. I love high bar squatting.

Interesting (or not so interesting, interesting to me at least) story from today: There's only 2 people I've seen and 1 person I've heard of who can outsquat me at my gym, though there are a lot of people there who bench more than me, look bigger/better, and squat big weights. 1 is this big ex football player who just toys around with 315 for sets of 10 with really reckless form, hitting depth regardless. The other is this huge guy I met the other day at the dining hall who played high school rugby but has only been powerlifting for only 1 year but has the biggest traps and forearms I've ever seen in real life, excluding the giant 6'3 255 lbs 6% bodyfat roided up guy who I used to see at 24 hour fitness. So the biggest natural forearms and traps I've ever seen. Anyways he squats 425 allegedly to depth for a max, along with a 300 bench and 500 deadlift. These guys are big. But today I saw this small, average looking guy squatting 315 for 8 easy reps, then 365 for 2 easy reps, wearing running shoes and a cheap half plastic half leather belt. If I saw him on the street I wouldn't even think he lifted. But he was squatting big weights with a close stance to depth in running shoes. He had big legs but they didn't look muscular, and his upper body wasn't big at all. I went up and talked to him afterwards and asked him about his training, he's only been lifting for 1 year and is just running Madcow 5x5, but he's already incredibly strong. Completely average looking. I was baffled. He told me he ran a few of the Sheiko programs and usually squats in chucks, but since he only brought running shoes today he was just messing around. Turns out he's 395/260/465. Anyways completely irrelevant and unimportant but I was just really impressed that someone who doesn't look like he lifts is stronger than me. Just gives me more to work for.

11-8-12: 5/3/1 Bench and Chin Ups

(Paused) Bench
    5x175
    3x200
    5x225
    1x235

Chins
    5xBW
    3x20
    7x45
    3x60

BTN Press
    8x95

Drag Rows
    2x15x135, 15 shrugs on set 1, 20 shrugs on set 2.

Postworkout shake and walk back to dorm
    3 glasses of milk

Low Pulley Face Pulls
    100 reps x 30 lbs

Tricep Pushdowns
    100 reps x 30 lbs

Reverse Curl
    100 reps x 30 lbs

Incline Push ups
    1x50

Great day today, bench went really well, I don't think I've ever hit 225 for 5 reps paused, I've only hit or surpassed it 5 times, 3 times I hit 5x225, along with passing it (245x5 and 230x8), but none of these were paused. So this is essentially a paused PR. Technique felt good and bad, I was using a lot of chest somehow, even though my shoulders stayed pinched, and my upper back was activated. Normally I feel bench way more in the shoulders, triceps and traps than chest, maybe my shoulders, triceps and traps are just getting stronger. Or maybe it's because I hit my chest directly for the first time in a while a few days ago when I did all those push ups, and it's still recovering. Either way despite odd muscle activation patterns, groove was good, leg drive was all right, though my ass came like 1 cm off the bench, mostly because of hip tightness, my lower body is incredibly sore from yesterday. Easily fixed by just doing mobility work, which I need to start doing more of, been slacking on my yoga stuff. I should just do that every morning, it'll get my appetite up too. Only thing is I have class at 9 AM on MWF and I usually get out of bed at 8:55 since my 9 AM class is a 2 min walk from my room.

Chins were great, pretty sure I hit 45 for 7 but my memory is a bit hazy. I just remember being happy I got a PR, and knowing I wanted to beat my previous PR of 6 reps, so I"m assuming based on those 2 facts I hit 7, though I don't explicitly remember that set or hitting 7. I do remember hitting 60 for 3 though, the purpose of doing that and the 235 bench was to see how my training maxes felt. The 235 bench felt heavy but I know I could go heavier, and the 60 for 3, well it felt tripleable, so not too incredibly heavy. My band I use for holding the weight felt like it was going to snap though, so I'll probably just use a dip belt from now on, they have one there for public use.

BTN press irritated my left shoulder a lot no matter what I did to try to fix my technique, I figure my shoulder girdle just isn't built to support more than 75 lbs on that, so I"m going to scrap it for weighted dips and incline DB bench, which are both also stressful on my shoulders, but not nearly as much. I'll do it based on feel, but eventually I'll find where I like putting it. Probably weighted dips since that's more strength work than incline DB bench, which is more bodybuilding work, and I like strength work better. 3x10, 2x8/1x6, 3x5 rep scheme on that. Drag rows were good.

Small session after postworkout shake (3 glasses of milk) went well also, felt really tired but I still managed to hit some good numbers, got a 25 rep PR on both face pulls and tricep pressdowns, and tried reverse curls for the first time for high reps, absolutely terribly painful in the forearms and biceps, way worse than normal curls. Did some push ups just to get that chest pump, was happy to be able to hit 50, the last 10 reps were grinders. Great day overall.

Good work going on for both days, props.

Thanks Coke, training is finally going well again, feels great!

11-10-12: Deads

Deadlift
    4x4x385
    2x435
    2x485 PR

Ortega Hill Sprints
    6 running reps (running instead of walking down)

Decent day today. A little "hungover", so to speak (I don't drink though), from last night, so everything felt a bit heavier and less in control than usual, technique wasn't bad, but I felt like I couldn't get as tight as usual, couldn't find my footstance, and wasn't getting my center of gravity going back as well as I normally do. Didn't dip though, basic groove was still good. Really happy I got the PR even though I wasn't feeling 100% (as opposed to feeling 110% last week), even though after my 2nd set of 385 the staff came and told me I have to lower it slowly so it doesn't make a loud sound when it hits the floor (I never drop or bounce it though), which I did for the other 2 385 sets, and even though right when I grabbed the bar for 485 after psyching up, the staff came and told me I couldn't use my eco chalk, I still got it. Lockouts were both huge grinders though. It was pretty funny though because I put on my belt, chalked up, then spent about 2 minutes staring at the weight and mentally queing everything, getting my energy up, psyching for it, then I walk up to the bar, grab it aggressively, try to get my stance, start shaking it a bit, then this woman in the staff uniform just comes and says something while pointing at my eco chalk ball. All that was in my mind was keeping tight, straightening my legs while pulling my chest up, and thrusting my hips forward once the bar gets above my knees, so I cut her off and said "Ok I won't use it, I won't use it." She walks away and I rip that thing off the floor, grinding to lockout. I knew the 2nd rep would suck but I smashed through it, probably took about 5-10 seconds to get up, but I wasn't really focused on time.

At this point I knew I wasn't really welcome there anymore because the staff had already talked to me twice, and chalking up bigtime for a touch n go reps set where it would be completely unrealistic to set it down slowly without a sound on the ground each rep, would be completely out of the question. I just racked the weight and got out of there. That's my justification for my laziness. Still grinded out my hill sprints though. Good day today! Tonight hopefully I'll try not to do anything that will make me feel too much below 100% tomorrow.

Chalk is messy but if you clean up afterwards, what difference does it make...may need another spot to lift if and when the ample opportunity arises.

Good performance with those deads.

True, the thing about eco chalk though is it barely goes anywhere, you don't even notice unless you look for the dust. It's also really easy to clean, and I always do, just gyms have become soft recently. No clanging, no chalk, it's BS.

11-11-12: Overhead Press

OHP
    5x115
    3x130
    7x145 10 lb PR
    3x130
    12x115

Pendlay Rows
    8x135
    5x155
    5x175
    3x5x165
    10x135

Inclines
    2x5x155
    1x6x155

Good, short day today. Been feeling a bit out of it this weekend, definitely glad I don't have to train for the next 2 days. OHP felt incredibly strong today, then again I was using the narrow bar because none of the thick bars were available, which probably helped. Got a huge PR, shoulder strength is definitely going up. Could be the narrower grip too though, feel really strong at lockout with this technique, though it's slow off the shoulders. Either way I'm stoked. Pendlays were weak, the opposite of last week, where pressing sucked and pulling was good. Inclines also went well, on the 2nd set I feel like I could have gotten 8 reps, my groove was so perfect. So I pushed for 6 on set 2, didn't want to hit failure. Deload week next week.

11-15-12: Energy Pill Day

Squat
    225 lbs x 25-27 reps beltless (5-7 rep PR, just counting 25 reps though)

Chins
    2x10
    1x5

Dips
    BWx20
    BWx10
    BWx15

Been feeling really low energy these last few days, so I took an energy pill today. The most I've ever had is a little under half a pill, and today I had 2/3 of a pill. Within 15 minutes I felt super hyper, and was jumping around in my dorm room. I fast walked over to the gym, and started throwing on plates rushing my squat warmup. Got up to 225 and just said I'll do 20 reps. Got to 20 and I was dying, but I was like, it's too easy!!! So I did 5 more grinders. Might have double counted 2 of the reps though. Literally lay down for 10-20 minutes after that set on the floor in agony. Beltless by the way. Then I jumped over to do some chins and got 1 easy set of 10, 1 hard set of 10, and on my 3rd set my forearms were so pumped that the top part of the ROM I had to fight the tightness of my forearms in addition to my bodyweight, so I could only do 5. Then I did some dips, my hands were so jittery I had trouble gripping the bars, but once I was on them I was just pounding them out. Got 19 easy reps, and a 20th grinder. Next set I barely got 10. The following set I did 15. So a good 45 reps total, I'm happy with that, more happy than if I did 3x15 because I think 20 is a PR. I think next time I do the energy pill thing I"ll just do a top set of everything, sets across just don't work, plus my heart rate gets super high so it takes forever to catch my breath. This has yohimbine so that combined with the heart speeding action this is probably really stressful on my heart. If I took a full pill I'd probably have a heart attack. But I'm not gonna ever have more than 1/2 a pill, I have no idea how some people take 3. Took the energy pill about 1 hr 40 mins ago and I"m still hyper, and I'm sure that's conveyed somehow in my writing cause it's all over the place I bet. Anyways, workout was less than an hour today, just powered through that shit, then sat around feeling like shit for a long time afterwards. But yeah, good workout today, mgiht head to my small dorm gym to get some more volume (lats and traps) in before I take a shower.

Small Session

55 reps x incline push ups followed by 7 reg push ups
    125 reps x 30 lbs face pulls
    50 reps x 30 lbs standing lat pullovers
    50 reps x 2.5 lbs side raises (very strict, behind body, no front delt)
    100 reps x 30 lbs cable reverse fly

I might have done more but that's all I remember. After I come down from the energy pill I tend to feel a little high and my memory becomes a little hazy.

Also here's a great album if you like progressive metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM8Xn0kO0nw
    Last edited by amounirl; 11-15-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added pullovers

11-18-12: Pull ups competition

Pull Ups
    50 reps total (8/6/6/6/6/6/6/6)

DB Inclines
    2x12x55s
    2x10x55s
    1x15x55s

TBar Rows
    2x15x2 plates+1 dime

Klokov Press
    3x10x65

Lat Pulldowns
    A couple light sets mostly behind the neck.

Ortega Hill Sprints
    5 running reps

Feeling a bit sick, sleep and diet have been a bit off, so I'm down to 201ish last time I checked. Weekends always tend to be poor diet-wise because the dining halls have terrible hours, they're only open for about 4 of my mealtimes instead of the usual 6-7, so I end up eating crappy snacks or just fruits, since I have no blender for my unmixable protein. Sometimes I smuggle food out of the dining halls but I feel bad doing that, even though everybody does. Pull ups went well, had a competition with my bodybuilder friend who's always talking sh*t, he weighs 160something (tore his ACL so he can't train legs), and he's on creatine, and he was talking about how he can do 18 pull ups in a row and how I'm a fat powerlifter who could never beat him (all in good humor). He ended up only being able to do sets of 5 compared to my sets of 6 because he never trains the top 2 inches of the ROM where chin goes over the bar because he loses the tension in his lats, so he was having a lot of trouble at the top. I won and put him in his place :P. Crazy lat and arm/forearm pump after this. Next time I might do a chin up competition because he can actually crank out 9 of those even after doing his 50 so it might be more fair game. Plus the chest pump.

Inclines went well, first 2 sets I was moving weight, second 2 sets I was focusing on the contraction, 3rd set I just was trying to go to failure, and took a long rest beforehand. Got a good pump, although my chest is still really sore from dips on Thursday. I'm going to start trying to fit dips in, they're just a great supplemental exercise for bench and OHP. T bar rows sucked, couldn't get a good set up and only felt it in the arms even though I went light and tried to focus on contraction. Klokov presses were hard as hell: painful. Then I just did some lat stuff because I was waiting for my bodybuilder friend to finish his workout. Did some hill sprints, it started raining so I did running reps instead. Cardio sucks when you're sick. Maxing out my deadlift on Wednesday.

Can you divulge the name of the energy pill you took and were speaking of a few days back?

Moving along well with it all, need to tighten up on the weekend diet, if just a bit...get a blender dude.

It's called black widow energy, got it off amazon. And you're right, I just need to get a shaker cup and bring some protein up when I go home for thanksgiving break, I'm really bummed because I'm barely 200 this morning and don't look lean at all, I just look like I've lost muscle and gained fat this weekend... I know my prolactin is a bit high right now though so that could explain the watery look despite the light weight.

11-21-12: Max Deadlift Test

Deadlift
    135x3
    225x3
    315x2
    365x2
    405x2
    455x1
    480x1
    505x1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i89G_WWWWiQ
    525x0: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLB8np-ebM4
    505x1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ5MxaCl760

That's all folks........

Just kidding everybody knows I love rambling about lifting. Good day today, as you can see the first 505 flew up, but the camera angle was bad. I said screw it, let's try 525 with a better angle, got a bit cocky, I think 515 was definitely doable, or maybe even 525 fresh (if I'd hit 495 after 455, then 525), but as you can see, it didn't go up. So I dropped back down to 505 to get it from a good angle, and actually had a pretty visually pleasing deadlift, it went up so smooth and uniformly. Not nearly as fast as the first 505 though, and set up was a little off compared to 505 #1(commentary in video description). Either way I now know I own this weight, and I won't be testing my max again until June, so I can get 2 cycles of mag/ort and maybe a smolov base cycle in there, which could boost my deadlift to 585 by the time I"m 19, and definitely by the end of 2013: probably even 600, unless I do a bad cut again.

Diet's been off, weight is 199. I'm pretty sick so I have no appetite, and my sleep is also a bit off. I just can't ever sleep well. Hopefully when I come back after thanksgiving break I can fix that, one thing I'm going to try is staying perfectly still when I try to fall asleep, instead of moving around to more comfortable positions, and a few other tricks, that will hopefully help. Even taking melatonin isn't working anymore, and I even lowered my bed so that it doesn't shake when people walk by in the hall as much, but it only helps slightly. Either way I should be able to get some good sleep at home and come back to school fresh.

Deads don't look too difficult dude, good job.

Thanks Coke!

11-24-12: Garage Gym Squat and Bench

Squat
    Worked up to 10x300 (1 rep PR, plus no belt-300x9 was done with a belt): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfSgIyVm75Q

Bench
    2x10x185 paused
    1x12x185 paused: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjbw_NpXseQ

That's it. Been doing pull ups throughout the last few days since my dad got my brother a pull up bar that pops right in and out of the door frame, so I've just been doing pull ups whenever. Probably gotten about 50-100 reps total so far. Had a really great day today, this morning I met up with my training partner from the summer, who's gained about 20 lbs since I last saw him, and also gained a lot of strength. Gave him a technique retutorial on overhead press and did some reps with about 60 lbs. Picked up an iphone today, which I recorded the videos on, it's really nice, I love having a good camera, good ipod, and good phone all in 1 device. So the videos were easy to upload mobile right after I recorded them. Trained in my friend's garage today, all he had was 300 lbs of plates so I took that for a ride on squats, got 10 reps which is a 1 rep PR, and with no belt! That makes it really significant. Probably could have had 12-14 with a belt. The weight felt really heavy without it, but I still had a lot of strength. Technique didn't feel as good as usual because I've gotten into the bad habit of using the mirror as a crutch, so I need to start feeling my form more than looking for it in my reflection. Still, I like the video, it's got loud metal, a dirty mancave/garage gym complete with a punching bag, tools, car parts, and a bruce lee poster (not shown), and of course close long time friends I haven't seen since I left San Diego. My friend who's 6'8 makes my 5'11 self look super short in the squat video. About technique though, even though it felt off, I'm happy to see that high bar works pretty well for me, I'm confident that with a mirror and belt my technique is really really good, if it looked this good without those things, and with it feeling really sh*tty. Just gotta stop using those as a crutch. Bench I was really happy with, this bench was awkwardly high instead of awkwardly low like the ones at my college gym, but I was able to get some half decent leg drive, and looking at my bar path it looks great. I'm happy my strength is going back up, considering my unpaused PR with this weight is 15 reps, so 12 paused is pretty good. Can't wait to peak my strength in June and see where I"m at. Unfortunately everything still feels really heavy without wrist wraps. Either way I had a good day overall. After this I ate about a pound of steak along with a bunch of bread and a can of DR. Pepper. Good post workout meal, by dirty bulking standards. Oddly enough my weight seems to have been dropping since I came here, only about 202 right now and I was 205 on the same scale the night I arrived, after not eating for 7 hours on the train. I guess I should just disregard what my weight and appearance is and just focus on performance, since that's all that really matters, and when performance in place, everything else falls into place. I don't think my cardio is very good right now but my strength is definitely there. Might start incorporating steady state cardio after a conversation I had with a bodybuilder, and after measuring myself at a pretty high blood pressure on a possibly faulty, but possibly accurate, blood pressure machine. Lots of ideas storming in my head right now.

Quote Originally Posted by amounirl View Post
    I guess I should just disregard what my weight and appearance is and just focus on performance, since that's all that really matters, and when performance in place, everything else falls into place.
    I'm hearing you, just be more performance driven as you were earlier on without fail.

Good job in the vids.

Thanks Coke! On that note I'm going to try to start incorporating steady state cardio. Just need to do some research on how to work it without killing my test levels too much.

11-26-12: Small Session

1 leg Squats
    50 on each leg

Incline Push ups
    60 reps

Face Pulls
    50x40 lbs

Flat Push Ups
    Only 35 or 45

Behind the back drag rows
    50x80 lbs

Sit Ups
    50 sloppy ass reps

External rotations
    A bunch (around 70-100 reps)

Good stuff, just trying to prevent atrophy as I wait until my next training day on Wednesday (squats). 1 legged squats are killer, but so far the only thing from the Jim Wendler 6 week rep challenge I've been able to do. Me and my friend's quads and glutes were practically cramping afterwards, he was only able to do about 35 reps on each leg and he was only doing about half the ROM I was. And he's usually equal endurance (but not strength =P) as me on upper body stuff. So I was happy with that. Incline push ups were good, I believe this is a 5 rep PR. Face pulls were good, not sure if I got 50 or 60 reps but I got a good trap and shoulder pump. My friend took a picture of me mid contraction and it looked really sick on the small iphone screen, but only decent on the big facebook screen. I'll keep it up there but it's not worth posting here. I was disappointed that I could only get 35 or 45 push ups (lost count a bit), either way it's a lot less than the inclines. Probably fatigue related, because my shoulders were already worked from inclines, and my upper back, where I tend to feel flat push ups the most, was already fried from face pulls. Either way I got a good chest pump to match my traps pump. BTB drag rows were good, not really sure what to call them but that's basically what it looks like, a drag row behind the back, starting around the glutes and ending at the top of the lower back. Did some sit ups and sucked at them, will need to start incorporating these into the small sessions, because my rectus abdominis is really weak. Did a bunch of external rotator stuff, might have mildly tweaked my shoulder benching on Friday, it was popping during my sets and I didn't think much of it, but the last 24-48 hours it's been really stiff and sore, my right shoulder only. Ext rotations only helped a little. Either way I'm glad that my rear delts are finally gaining significant size. I guess I'll just have to do some band rotations (could be another reason my shoulder popped on Fri, didn't have my bands, only warm up I did before bench was my squats and benching light).

11-28-12: 3x3 Squats

Squat
    3x225
    3x275 loose belt
    3x315 loose belt
    335 for 3 paused, beltless singles
    3x315 medium belt

Good Mornings
    2x12x135
    1x15x135

Front Squat
    5x135
    3x185
    3x225
    3x255
    3x275 (1 rep/15 lb PR!!!) tight belt

Pretty good day today. It's rainy, I slept really poorly last night (roommates kept waking me up) and I generally didn't feel too good going to the gym, so I just did requisite reps on squats. Decided I might as well get in some volume if I'm not going high intensity, and make the singles harder instead of trying to do a heavy triple with them, so I did them paused and beltless, then did 315 for 3 again afterwards. Very short rest periods in between, probably 2-3 mins, which is short compared to my usual 5-10 mins between work sets (warm up sets tend to be back to back though). Then I hit the GMs hard, did the constant tension thing again but it was surprisingly easy. I also tried to do short rest periods, but I ran into a friend who has grown a great beard for no shave November, so we talked about beards for a bit and I ended up resting about 5-6 mins instead of 2 mins before my last set of GMs. Decided to push for 15 reps instead, but 15 was surprisingly easy. I didn't feel too tired after racking that last set of GMs so I decided to see where I'm at on front squats by working up to a heavy triple. 275x3 felt really easy on my legs, my upper back was the weak link (maybe fatigued from GMs), my legs felt like I could get 6-8 reps. Good to see that high bar squatting has had a good carryover to both my hamstrings and my quads. And definitely a lot of glutes. 275x3 is a PR over my previous 275x2, and 260x3. No cardio today because a) I"m lazy, and b) it's raining.

11-29-12: Bench/Chins

Bench
    3x175
    6x225 paused (paused PR)
    235 x 3 paused singles
    17x175 unpaused (rep PR)

Chins
    3xBW
    3x25
    3x45
    5x55 (10 lb PR)

Dips
    BWx10/10/10/12/10

Drag Rows
    2x15x135 (10 shrugs first set, 15 shrugs second set)

Cable Curls
    75 reps x 40 lbs

Cable Tricep Pushdowns
    75 reps x 40 lbs

Rear Delt rotator raise
    50 reps x 2.5 lbs

Pretty good day today. Felt pretty strong on bench, technique felt off a bit on the 6x225 set (lost some of my shoulder tuck getting it out of the rack), but all sets of 235 were good, and 175 was good except the last rep, where I sacrificed technique for weight by unpinching my shoulders. Should have stopped at 16, technique was good until then. Chins went well, even BW felt heavy for 3, probably due to fatigue from bench, but I managed to hit 55 for 5, which is just in line with my other PRs, 45x7 and 65x3. I"m pretty happy with this since I essentially repped 95% of my training max for 5. (in my spreadsheet calculations for chins I count bodyweight as 200, so I plug in my training max of 70 lbs added as 270, so while 55 isn't 95% of 70, 255 is 95% of 270). Dips went well, very high volume and a good chest pump. Next week I'll do 5x12. Drag rows were all right, my upper back felt pretty weak today, probably because I did front squats yesterday, and because my upper back was tired from bench. All the high rep stuff went well. Hopefully I'll see some gains from this session, it felt pretty solid.

Just weighed myself at 208. And I don't look much fatter at all. On one hand I'm stoked that I gained 4 lbs of mostly muscle in the last 2 weeks, but on the other I'm a little bummed because I know most of it is in my legs, so my bench hasn't gone up by very much but my bodyweight has. Still my shoulders do look a little bigger so I guess there's that.