The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Lifting w/o gaining mass?

Right now I am at the size I want but I want to develope quality muscle and NOT gain muscle mass, does that make sense? How would I continue training with this in mind? Maybe a two way split? Lighter loads, higher reps?

I await your wisdom!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Umm...nope..doesn't make any sense. Need to elaborate.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Yeah, you're gonna have to explain. Muscle is muscle..there is no good quality or bad quality. You either have it or you don't. You can make them bigger or smaller. You can also add or remove the fat that covers them up. Pick one.
    gt

Dad: "Son, if you keep doing that you'll go blind."
    Son: "I'm over here Dad."

Wannabebig Member
    I think he wants to know if he can get stronger without the wieght gains that usaully come with more muscle.

In other words can he make the muscle he has stronger. Not gain muscle, but strength. Am I right g4velocity?

I think that you can, but I am not positive. Lots hard work though.

If he indeed wants to do what you're referring to (get stronger.) Then low reps, heavy weight and a consistent diet to maintain bodyweight are all needed.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

i know what he means.
    i was thinking about this yesterday. My calves respond to weights much better than any other muscle. They dont need to get any bigger until my quads do.
    soon i am gonna have these popeye calves if I dont get some proportion - i dont really care though.
    BRING IT ON

dude have you ever watched the olympics? ever seen top world class wrestlers? (not the WWF bullshit but the real deal) check out those lower weight classes. There are guys that are like 120 lbs and they are absolutely shredded and have tremendous strength. Bruce Lee is a fine example of strength without mass as is Ken Leistner full squatting 400 somewhat lbs for 20 reps at 160 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Weight gain is primarily the result of caloric intake as opposed to training methodology. That being said generally speaking the higher the volume the greater the hypertrophic response (as long as one doesn't delve into overtraining). So keep your sets very low, your reps low and your diet in line and you shouldn't gain too much in the way of muscle mass if that is what you desire. At a certain point your muscles ARE going to have to get bigger to allow for heavier weight but with low reps you are working with primarily neurological adaptation as opposed to muscle fiber increase. Of course I may be wrong about this.

Ken Leistner is strong no doubt, but the 400 x 23 seems slightly less impressive when you consider that his 1 rep max is right around 500 lbs or under. But factoring in his age & bodyweight, plus how low he took the squats , it is still very impressive.
    Some guys have all the luck.
    Some guys have all the pain.
    Some guys get all the breaks.
    Some guys do nothing but complain.

-Rod Stewart

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Jeremy21
    Weight gain is primarily the result of caloric intake as opposed to training methodology. That being said generally speaking the higher the volume the greater the hypertrophic response (as long as one doesn't delve into overtraining). So keep your sets very low, your reps low and your diet in line and you shouldn't gain too much in the way of muscle mass if that is what you desire. At a certain point your muscles ARE going to have to get bigger to allow for heavier weight but with low reps you are working with primarily neurological adaptation as opposed to muscle fiber increase. Of course I may be wrong about this.

Ken Leistner is strong no doubt, but the 400 x 23 seems slightly less impressive when you consider that his 1 rep max is right around 500 lbs or under. But factoring in his age & bodyweight, plus how low he took the squats , it is still very impressive.
    whats the optimum amount of sets/exceries/training sessions per wk??

Wannabebig Member
    depends on age, recovery ability etc. Pavel Tsatsouline recommends 2 basic lifts (dead lift & side press) performed 5 days per week. 2 sets of 5 reps each. the 2nd set is 90% of the first set. That routine does work well for strength increase with minimal bodyweight increase. Of course his is just one possible methodology in a myriad of different possibilities. His site http://www.dragondoor.com has an articles section that gives a brief overview of his power to the people workout.
    Some guys have all the luck.
    Some guys have all the pain.
    Some guys get all the breaks.
    Some guys do nothing but complain.

-Rod Stewart

Banned
    g4velocity what are your stats? It seems to me like you are talking about gaining definition, not strength as the posters to this thread have come to think. If you lower your bodyfat you will obviously lose mass. Therefore, if you are content with your current weight then either get bigger and then start cutting or cut and then try to gain more muscle.

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I'm 5'9", 192lbs, 6 % BF. Been training for 11yrs now. Started with a 3 day Arnold split, moved on to a-muscle-a-day routine, then adopted the Dorian Yates regimen(best so far to gain quality muscle mass), and then went back to a-muscle-a-day workout.

My goal from the very beginning was to develop the exact physique of Frank Zane in his competitive years. After experimenting with different workout routines I have finally achieved that goal to the tee. I am very satisfied and happy with the results of all the years of hard training I have done. But now I want to keep this physique the way it is. All I hear from pro BBs is "get bigger! get bigger! get bigger!" and this is not what I want. I actually want to walk and run normal and to pass thru doorways easily

So in more clearer words,
    How do I maintain my current physique?
    True wisdom is knowing that you know nothing