The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar

Crossfit and application

Well to stir things up around here, let me ask all of the crosfitters the following question:

How have you used Crossfit in your daily life/ athletic application?

Do you compete in marathons, races, biking events, climbing, lifting? How has Crossfit benefited your competition?
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I just use CrossFit to get in better shape for work (LE). I've notice that I recover much faster now that I did before and my strength is improving. I am planning on entering a CMC competition this spring with my co-workers.

By no means am I a "professional" athlete/compeitor, but I have done, races, 10 milers, 10ks, 5ks, as well as mud runs like the Rebel Race and Tough Mudder.

I feel that CrossFit prepared me well for the Rebel Race and Tough Mudder, but for the running only races, to truly be competitive, I would have to focus my training more on running.
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

I'd echo that.... not to be negative (since this is totally not your question), but having competed in (or been at least fairly decent at) marathons, climbing, cycling, and lifting.. crossfit would be my last choice for a workout regime that would improve my performance at any of those.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

For the record, I am by no means a "Crossfitter."

I've always thought that if you want to get stronger: lift. If you want to get faster: run. If you want to be a better athlete: practice. If you want to be better at crossfit: do crossfit. Granted, I'm sure there is a benefit to the metabolic conditioning that is the majority of a Crossfit programming, but I do know that people who participate in Crossfit use it as a means for training for other things.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

I think Crossfit as a philosophy is what you make it. It can be geared toward your goals. But at the same time, you don't have to consider those workouts "Crossfit". They're just versatile workouts.

To me, Crossfit as a program is more of a sport. It annoys me when people bash it and act like Crossfit is trying to claim it was the invention of HIIT. Yes, it's helped me in various ways for my overall fitness, balance, coordination, etc, and little things like being able to run around the block without even having a breathing rate increase (where most people i know can't even get around the block at all), but to me in the end, Crossfit is a sport. It's a fun sport I enjoy, and a great side effect is that I can handle most physical aspects of life with ease. To me, that makes it valuable.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

On-topic...I don't get to use it very often. I have a wife and 2 young children, and in addition to that I really don't have any like-minded friends. I would love to get into some athletic hobbies but at the moment they aren't much of an option. My wife and I do workout together a couple times a week though, and that means a lot to me.

5/3/1 Journal

I've played recreational tennis for years. Originally for tennis conditioning, I'd do things like run 3-5 miles or cycle for 1-2 hours 2-4 times a week.

When life got more demanding most of my conditioning came from tennis alone and an occasional sprint session. Ironically without all the long distance training, my speed didn't suffer on the court unless a point went really long. But as long as I got a reasonable rest interval, I was usually good for a 2-2.5 hour match.

When I incorporated CF, I felt I got the best of both worlds--I think my speed got better and I could handle longer points.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    I know some people who use Crossfit-style workouts as cross-training in place of traditional cardiovascular or 'conditioning' workout. Some of these individuals were training like this before the term CrossFit was popularized - but it is definitely more widespread now than it was a few years ago (barbell complexes, etc.).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig New Member

solid crossfit

What to expect from 20 Days of solid crossfit?

Better wind, mostly. Your cardio endurance improves very quickly, but it'll take a couple months before you really start to "feel" the changes, like strength, balance, etc. most of the first couple months is spent learning the staple movements Crossfit utilizes, then gettings reps in to correct form and maximize efficiency. After that, things sorta fall into place.

And if you've got some weight to lose, it's pretty certain you'll get a good start on that too.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Patz; 01-10-2012 at 09:08 AM.

5/3/1 Journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    ...marathons, climbing, cycling, and lifting.. crossfit would be my last choice for a workout regime that would improve my performance at any of those.
    Okay... but isn't the "point" of GPP training like crossfit that it will help with ALL of those, albeit a last choice to train for any specific one? It's not optimum training for any one event or sport, but okay training for ALL sports Just playing devils advocate...

Quote Originally Posted by NITF View Post
    Okay... but isn't the "point" of GPP training like crossfit that it will help with ALL of those, albeit a last choice to train for any specific one? It's not optimum training for any one event or sport, but okay training for ALL sports Just playing devils advocate...
    I don't think the OP really designed this to be a thread discussing the merits of crossfit for GPP, but... No. It precisely WON'T help with any of those. The cardiovascular component of most crossfit workouts is extremely poorly suited for distance events (cycling, marathons, etc.) and the strength component is far from ideal for strength training, provided your goal is along the lines of increased limit strength or hypertrophy.

To be sure, there are certain sports that crossfit style workouts are hugely beneficial for (Rugby comes to mind), but the events the OP mentioned fall on either extreme of the anerobic and aerobic spectrum, while crossfit focuses more on the area smack between the two. That was my point.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Not really relevant but has anyone else noticed how good crossfit women look and the guys just look okish... Not bagging crossfit I think its an amazing addition to the fitness community.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Not really relevant but has anyone else noticed how good crossfit women look and the guys just look okish... Not bagging crossfit I think its an amazing addition to the fitness community.
    Hmm... guess that depends on your definition of good looks....

Wannabebig Member
    First off, I don't compete in anything aside from Crossfit competitions, and I do that only for fun/camaraderie.

But at the affiliate I workout at, I see NCAA division I hockey players, UCF fighters, active duty US army rangers, and firefighters on a daily basis (the hockey players usually only in the off-season). These are among the most enthusiastic proponents of Crossfit in the place.

Myself, it has helped in my daily life, in ways that might seem kind of silly to many. When I started Crossfit I was 46 years old, 20 years removed from any sort of athletic activity--essentially a heart attack, case of diabetes, etc., waiting to happen. I had shoulder problems, was beginning to have back problems, and struggling with weight/body composition. In three months of workouts and adherence to their nutrition recommendations I was off all prescription drugs, including allergy meds I had been on since I was 11 years old. My shoulder and back are stronger than ever. Things I would avoid like picking up heavy items around the house and yard I can do with confidence. Carrying a canoe and loaded Duluth pack over a rough portage in the Northwoods is a breeze.

There's many training regimens that can get you stronger, many that can get you faster, many that can build your endurance, many that can teach you to push yourself beyond your perceived limits, probably a few that can do all that simultaneously. Crossfit is just one of those, and seeks among other things to bring in the best all realms (powerlifting, Oly lifting, gymnastics, endurance, etc.). I can't say Crossfit is the only means I could have found to improve my fitness, but it worked extremely well for me. By their own admission it's a compromise protocol, and probably is best suited as a general conditioning tool for sports/endeavors that require wider ranges of proficiency (e.g., hockey, football, fighting) than the more highly specialized ones (e.g., a world-class marathon runner). That said, Crossfit is highly adaptable has grown some specialty facets in areas such as Oly lifting, powerlifting, and endurance events.
    Last edited by djpc; 01-27-2012 at 09:00 AM.

This question seems to be asked all over the place, and it can be answered by simply doing your own research into crossfit. CF does not claim to be the best workout routine in the world for every sport. Crossfit is a tool to raise your over all physical abilities, to make you an athletic "jack of all trades" so to speak. You are supposed to add your own sport specific training to the program to focus your talents on. This is a big reason why many CF'ers do the WOD a few days behind the CF website.....so they can plan their sport specific training accordingly so as not to have a WOD interfere and cause overtraining.

CF can help with things like endurance events given you are not already an advanced endurance athlete. I have always been tall and built like a sprinter, have always hated distance running. When i got into crossfit one of the WOD just happened to be to run a 5k that day. I did it, but i hated it. A couple months later the 5k popped up again and of course i still dreaded it....but i destroyed my previous time. So yes it can help if you are a beginner or coming off a long layoff from endurance activity. But obviously training for endurace is best for that. POSE running was also a big help. Actually now that i think about it, there is Crossfit Endurance, google it. More centered on endurance athletes. I think there is one for football too.

Crossfit also is HUGE at building mental toughness. Cant really state that enough. I saw a vid on youtube a while ago of a corssfitter doing 96 pullups in a row.....his hands were bleeding at the end. He tore his calluses off. Yes they were kipping pullups....but a kipping pullup requires much more coordinated use of more muscles than a dead hang does. It was impressive to say the least.

In any case, this question gets asked a lot...mostly out of ignorance of what the program is all about.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

+1 this post
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig New Member
    I've been CrossFitting at an affiliate since January 2011. In October 2011 I was able to walk out the door and run the Army 10 miler in 1hr 38min after not having run more than 400m at a time the whole year. Yes my joints (knees, ankles, hips) felt like absolute hell but I was able to finish and I didn't have to spend hours doing long slow distance runs. Granted doing any kind of distance running would have acclimated my joints and then I probably wouldn't have had any pain.

Another, much fitter guy in my gym, did the same thing, but ran the Marine Corps Marathon instead.

In response to the tennis player a few posts back, I am also an avid tennis player and think CrossFit could greatly benefit the sport. There is so much repetitive stress injury in tennis because nobody does any dedicated strength training. Even if a tennis player only lifted twice a week I think they could greatly reduce the possibility of hip/knee and shoulder/elbow problems.