The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Injury / speed bench press

I occasionally get pec muscle pain up near the armpits when doing speed benches. I back off for a week or two then it goes away for a while But I worry one of these times it will be a complete pec tear!

I don't want to quit doing speed benching because I know it helps a lot. But I may have no choice. If I do drop it what would be a good replacement?

Some ideas I have thought of:
    *all (4-8 rep range for 5 - 6 sets)
    Reverse band benching
    or
    Slingshot benching

Anyone else drop speed benching due to injuries or maybe you felt it wasn't working for you? What did you replace it with?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I had this happen as well when I first started using the conjugate method. I found that a more thorough warmup eliminated the problem.
    Meet PR's (raw):

Squat: 500
    Bench: 360
    Dead: 525

Ask me about Jersey Iron Training

This may have nothing to do with you at all, but from my limited experience (compared to some guys here) I notice that quite a few people when doing dynamic benching that for the sake of speed they get really sloppy with technique. It should be fast but also with extremely controlled and tight form. I noticed that when I slowed it down (just enough to be very tight with form but still with explosive quickness) it really eliminated problems with pain during the speed bench sessions.

In some of the various videos I watched I notice some guys are explosion on both parts of the lift and others bring it down slower and more under control and then explode up once touching the chest.

I never drop it completely but sometimes when I am focusing more on aesthetics I will do 5 sets of 3 or 5 reps instead of the more traditional 8 x 3.

well i had a similar issue but with my elbow getting irritated , and i read this article and gave some of these ideas a shot and they worked pretty good but here have a look hope it helps

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/repetition_work.htm
    " though the pain may come over you, never let it overcome you "
    FUSCULAR*(fus*ku-lar)adj.: A large person who is a combination of fat and extreme muscular mass.
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21
    (Raw lifts) - BP-325 SQ-600+ DL-520
    My journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...art&highlight=

I would honestly find the root of the problem (what's causing that discomfort) then go from there. Have you gotten it checked out or is this something thats coming from a previous injury?

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    it could be any number of things... getting loose in the bottom, sloppy form, a preexisting injury.....

start with rest, rubbing it out with a lacrosse ball, and more warm up sets..... after that really depends on what the pain is caused by.

I can say that I burst something right at the pec insertion in my armpit back when I was working on breaking 500 in the bench and it took me out for a good 3 or 4 months, you have no idea how much you use something until it hurts to use it......
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    it could be any number of things... getting loose in the bottom, sloppy form, a preexisting injury.....

start with rest, rubbing it out with a lacrosse ball, and more warm up sets..... after that really depends on what the pain is caused by.

I can say that I burst something right at the pec insertion in my armpit back when I was working on breaking 500 in the bench and it took me out for a good 3 or 4 months, you have no idea how much you use something until it hurts to use it......
    How do you work the rubbing/massage with the Lacrosse ball? Ive seen a couple of guys here use it a lot.
    Any videos that may help?

Thanks.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko_El_Piko View Post
    How do you work the rubbing/massage with the Lacrosse ball? Ive seen a couple of guys here use it a lot.
    Any videos that may help?

Thanks.

I usually start with the lacrosse ball between my pec and the wall and just lean against it. You can roll it around like that to dig in to anywhere you need and break up some scar tissue. If you are really feeling sadistic you can put it on the floor and put all of your body weight on it..... That and if you can find a really good ART or deep tissue therapist it will be the most painful hour of your life but well worth it....
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Believe it or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with your rotator cuff or bicep tendon. Just do proper upper body warmups. Idk the exact anatomy, but doing abduction movements with dumbbells really warms up and keeps me feeling good in the shoulders, upper pec/armpit area like described while doing intense bench exercises.
    Last edited by Jonathan E; 12-30-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    I usually start with the lacrosse ball between my pec and the wall and just lean against it. You can roll it around like that to dig in to anywhere you need and break up some scar tissue. If you are really feeling sadistic you can put it on the floor and put all of your body weight on it..... That and if you can find a really good ART or deep tissue therapist it will be the most painful hour of your life but well worth it....
    Thanks for the tips.

Yes, proper warmups are essential. That's why I do the Electric Eleven prior to my speed work.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLift View Post
    This may have nothing to do with you at all, but from my limited experience (compared to some guys here) I notice that quite a few people when doing dynamic benching that for the sake of speed they get really sloppy with technique. It should be fast but also with extremely controlled and tight form. I noticed that when I slowed it down (just enough to be very tight with form but still with explosive quickness) it really eliminated problems with pain during the speed bench sessions.

In some of the various videos I watched I notice some guys are explosion on both parts of the lift and others bring it down slower and more under control and then explode up once touching the chest.

I never drop it completely but sometimes when I am focusing more on aesthetics I will do 5 sets of 3 or 5 reps instead of the more traditional 8 x 3.
    I believe you hit it on the head. They don't control the negative at all and the combination of that and the bands makes the reversal force HUGE which places excess stress on the pec-delt tie-in area.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!