The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

please read if you are interested in training advice from top lifters

For anyone that doesn't know me, I'm currently the #1 ranked raw all-time female powerlifter. My best lifts in competition are: 615lbs. squat, 415lbs. bench press, and 580lbs. deadlift, for a 1610lbs. total (belt and wrist wraps only) at 254lbs. bodyweight in the shw class. I post on here every so often and mostly follow my friend Brian Hopper's training, since I used to train in Lakeland where he does.

I know this post is really a blatant promotion for my new website. Check it out: http://mathistrainingsolutions.com/

But, understand that all proceeds from this website go back into the sport of powerlifting. Some of the money will be used for me to travel to meets (I have only competed near where I live because of this factor). I also would like to pay for all of my training partners who would like to compete in and travel with myself to the women's pro-am being held by Laura Phelps on 04/14/2012 in Cincinnati, Ohio. If the site goes well, I also am going to donate money to the next women's pro-am meet and help offer prize money at the next meet we hold in Georgia so that lifters can have something more than a plastic trophy for their accomplishments.

So, if you are interested in what I have to offer, check out the website. I will also have products for sale in the very near future (stuff made and sold by powerlifters) and will be adding another top powerlifting (geared and raw) and strongman competitor to my site in the next week.

Thanks for reading and before you make fun of this as just another site to sell training programs, remember that all the money goes back into the sport, not just in my pocket like some people do. Contact me with any questions (please note: This is a serious post and I will not respond to sarcastic or insulting comments, so don't act childish).

P.S. I do not think this violates the Terms of Use for this site, because I am not currently selling anything similar to or in conflict with what you are promoting (At Large nutrition products) on this site. So I apologize if it does.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    That's just crazy!!! Your numbers I mean. I knew you were strong as hell but I didn't know until I read this pot you have a 610 belt only squat or the 580 pull. Damm!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hogbody_308 View Post
    That's just crazy!!! Your numbers I mean. I knew you were strong as hell but I didn't know until I read this pot you have a 610 belt only squat or the 580 pull. Damm!!!!
    Thanks. My squat was not great there. It is much better now. I will squat over 700 easy at my next meet.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

April is the real deal! I've competed with her and judged her and her intensity rivals anyone I've seen! You can almost see fire in her eyes when she attacks the weight! I love watching her lift! April, I like your idea for the site! I hope it's very successful for you! Good luck and tell Big Jon hello!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    looking forward to seeing how you do at this meet..... good luck
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Amazing numbers. All the luck with your site. Clicking....

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by mastermonster View Post
    April is the real deal! I've competed with her and judged her and her intensity rivals anyone I've seen! You can almost see fire in her eyes when she attacks the weight! I love watching her lift! April, I like your idea for the site! I hope it's very successful for you! Good luck and tell Big Jon hello!
    I will. We should train together sometime. I realized we only live like an hour apart.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

You guys have no idea how strong she really is. Not only is she strong on the big 3, but she can probably out shrug (maybe not Coke, lol) and out row anyone on here. I know I can't keep up with her lol. Anyone looking to set some PR's, this might be a good chance.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

I'm cool with the post .

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    You guys have no idea how strong she really is. Not only is she strong on the big 3, but she can probably out shrug (maybe not Coke, lol) and out row anyone on here. I know I can't keep up with her lol. Anyone looking to set some PR's, this might be a good chance.
    lol Brian. Too bad upper back stuff doesn't reflect in my deadlift. It's kind of messed up to do rows with 455 almost as many times as I can deadlift it.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    I was watching your slingshot videos and I my jaw dropped. I do appreciate your help when I post up critique vids.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Quote Originally Posted by April Mathis View Post
    I will. We should train together sometime. I realized we only live like an hour apart.
    I would love to! Let see if we can work that out soon. A change of scenary and atmosphere is a good thing occasionally.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I'm cool with the post .
    Let me know if you want me to put anything up on my website for you - products or affiliate links or anything like that. Just send me a private message if interested. I'm almost done with the lastest update and will have about 30-40 products listed tomorrow. And I only want to put things that are actually effective, not bs stuff like 3/4 of what you see in gnc or vitamin shoppe or many sites online.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Quote Originally Posted by mastermonster View Post
    I would love to! Let see if we can work that out soon. A change of scenary and atmosphere is a good thing occasionally.
    I will post on your log in a minute.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    I was watching your slingshot videos and I my jaw dropped. I do appreciate your help when I post up critique vids.
    Haha yeah I actually don't get much out of a slingshot, only 30lbs. or so. I always bring the bar down slow, so it's not as helpful to doing more weight than if you bring the bar down fast or bounce it. Some people doing that are getting 100lbs. out of it. I also have an old one that was one of the original kind though, so that may be a difference too compared to the newer ones.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Quote Originally Posted by April Mathis View Post
    Haha yeah I actually don't get much out of a slingshot, only 30lbs. or so. I always bring the bar down slow, so it's not as helpful to doing more weight than if you bring the bar down fast or bounce it. Some people doing that are getting 100lbs. out of it. I also have an old one that was one of the original kind though, so that may be a difference too compared to the newer ones.
    There is a big difference. The old ones stretched out really fast. The new ones are thicker and made from a different material (I'm not talking about a Mad Dog, just the regular slingshot). I've got one of those original ones too---the thin red ones. 30-60 lbs sounds about right for it.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.