Thread: Moderately Advanced Lifter Looking to Loose that Excess Weight

Moderately Advanced Lifter Looking to Loose that Excess Weight

I'm finishing up my PhD and have put on around 25 pounds over the last 6 months due to a lack of time/abundance of stress. I've still been getting to the gym, just not as much as I had been, and my eating has gotten messy (i.e. booze and pizza). I have the next 1.5 months off and will be dedicating myself to a strict diet and lifting routine. Ignore the sig (trying to figure out how to change it right now). My current stats are 6'1", 227 pounds. Max bench is around 375 (maxed out last week at 375), Squat is probably down to around 400 (maxed out 2 weeks ago at 415), and Deadlift is probably down to around 480 (maxed out 2 weeks ago at 480).

Here's is my plan:

I intend to hit a 3 day routine 2x a week. It will look something like this:

Day 1: Chest and Tri's
    Day 2: Legs and Cardio
    Day 3: Back and Bi's
    Day 4: Chest and Tri's
    Day 5: Legs and Cardio
    Day 6: Back and Bi's
    Day 7: OFF

I'm thinking of actually adding cardio to each day and basically do a two-a-day work out. I'm really just looking to drop the weight with minimal muscle lose. I realize this may look like overkill, but my body can handle it and I am really looking to drop the weight fast, but safely.

I know there are some great lifters and athlete's here and I am open to any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23

Congrats on the PhD homestretch, what in?

Are you planning on tracking calories? Knowing where you stand with intake vs expenditure (not so much your routine) is key to the weight loss.

"I am really looking to drop the weight fast" - And be careful with this. It's easy to leave the body and mind in a state so deprived that a rebound becomes inevitable.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 12-28-2011 at 05:05 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Congrats on the PhD homestretch, what in?

Are you planning on tracking calories? Knowing where you stand with intake vs expenditure (not so much your routine) is key to the weight loss.

"I am really looking to drop the weight fast" - And be careful with this. It's easy to leave the body and mind in a state so deprived that a rebound becomes inevitable.
    Thanks, the PhD is in Criminology with an emphasis on statistics and juvenile delinquency. My peers always get a kick out of the weight lifting. My department was colloquially nicknamed me "Gorilla Arms." (Though as you no doubt have noticed by this post, I feel more like Gorilla belly).

Yes, I am planning on tracking calories. Basically, I'm going to eat nothing but chicken breasts (around four, 6 oz portions a day), some lean deli meat, plus as many vegetables as I want (the calories here are basically negligible) and supplement it all with some protein shakes as needed.

You are absolutely right about the "loosing it fast" mentality, and it is something I will need to work on. Since I started weightlifting (2008), and joined this forum (2009), my weight has consistently been around 205. It is only recently that it ballooned out of control what with teaching, comps and the ole' dissertation. I'm convinced that if I can drop it, I will keep it off by going back to my "old" ways of eating moderately healthy coupled with sufficient lifting--that and the stress will have dropped off sharply.

Thanks for the feedback. Any ideas concerning the routine?

Im far from an expert on any trade of weightlifting. However, If I were in your shoes, I would do something similar to the HCT-!2 workout plan or anything along those lines while you eat a healthy, below maintenance diet that hits the appropriate macros. My thoughts being that you can attempt to maintain as much true muscle mass as possible using a hypertrophy plan all the while losing excess weight since you'll be eating well below your maintenance levels. (Good chance you'll lose a little strength due to calorie deficit though. Which, I assume you already expect.) And hell, drop the cardio if you want too. You end burning more cals doing intense weight lifting anyway. I personally cant stand running on treadmills. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Im far from an expert on any trade of weightlifting. However, If I were in your shoes, I would do something similar to the HCT-!2 workout plan or anything along those lines while you eat a healthy, below maintenance diet that hits the appropriate macros. My thoughts being that you can attempt to maintain as much true muscle mass as possible using a hypertrophy plan all the while losing excess weight since you'll be eating well below your maintenance levels. (Good chance you'll lose a little strength due to calorie deficit though. Which, I assume you already expect.) And hell, drop the cardio if you want too. You end burning more cals doing intense weight lifting anyway. I personally cant stand running on treadmills. Best of luck.
    Yeah, this is interesting. I had toyed around with trying do do something like that. The HCT-12 is geared around growth, though, and that really isn't my goal. I want to loose weight while minimizing muscle loss. And I'm with you on the cardio; I'm dreading time on the treadmill.

I would not advise you to weight train for six days straight and then take one day off and repeat - that is a recipe for 'over-training'. Since your goal is to improve body composition while maintaining strength and muscle mass I would focus on training each muscle group once per week (3-day or 4-day weight training split) and then adding in a few conditioning sessions (can be traditional cardio or something fun like sled drags, plyometrics, sports, etc.).

As you know your nutrition is going to be a huge factor in reaching your goals, what do you have in mind for diet?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I would not advise you to weight train for six days straight and then take one day off and repeat - that is a recipe for 'over-training'. Since your goal is to improve body composition while maintaining strength and muscle mass I would focus on training each muscle group once per week (3-day or 4-day weight training split) and then adding in a few conditioning sessions (can be traditional cardio or something fun like sled drags, plyometrics, sports, etc.).

As you know your nutrition is going to be a huge factor in reaching your goals, what do you have in mind for diet?
    First, big fan of your work by the way.

Yeah, you are right about the overtraining. Because my goal is weight loss, and not necessarily muscle gain (though that, of course, is the ultimate goal), is overtraining really an issue here? I know my body can handle the work load and I will adjust it if my body feels "off." I was going to get back to a normal routine after I'd drop the weight. Though you are probably right about a 3/4 day split with conditioning sessions. Thoughts?

As for the diet, you are entirely correct on its' importance. Here is what I started yesterday and am continuing with today. By the way, I am allergic to wheat.

Breakfast (6:00am): 4 egg whites, 2 cups green beans
    Lunch (10:30am): 1 lean chicken breast, 2 cups stirfry (nonfat) vegetables
    PreWorkout (11:30am): 1 protein shake
    PostWorkout (2:00pm-ish): Lean Deli Meat
    Dinner: 1 cup white rice, 1 lean chicken breast, 2 cups yellow corn.
    And I'll throw in another protein shake as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tmor6 View Post
    The HCT-12 is geared around growth, though, and that really isn't my goal. I want to loose weight while minimizing muscle loss.
    Exactly. Because the program is meant for growth, your going to have better results maintaining your muscle size while your on a calorie deficit. Its not like your going to explode with new muscle haha. I think of it more as a balancing act. Plus, youll have some off days to recover like Tom was stating.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Exactly. Because the program is meant for growth, your going to have better results maintaining your muscle size while your on a calorie deficit. Its not like your going to explode with new muscle haha. I think of it more as a balancing act. Plus, youll have some off days to recover like Tom was stating.
    That makes a lot of sense, actually. I hadn't really thought about that until you brought it up - thanks.

anytime