The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 23 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 575 of 3093
  1. #551
    Goals (kg) 272.5/165/305 HJP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Manawatu, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,372
    Nice work breaking in the home gym!!! Going to have some mint equipment man, those bars will last for ages an ages!
    Best Raw Lifts
    Squat 260kg (573lbs), Bench 150kg (330lbs), Dead 277.5kg (611lbs)

    My Journal

    Heading to the IPF Raw World Champs Suzdal, Russia, 2013

  2. #552
    Senior Member GazzyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melton Mowbray, England, UK
    Posts
    3,273
    Wish you and your home gym many happy years together, Bri!
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

    Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

    www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

  3. #553
    Moderator Brian Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    12,762
    Quote Originally Posted by April Mathis View Post
    Just squat with that cambered bar until you get a squat bar, lol. The squat bar will feel great after a few weeks with that.

    I don't know that the touch and go or reset matters that much on deadlifts. Not that I'm amazing at that lift at all, but of all the big lifters I know, it's mixed. And a few rarely ever do reps at all. The only reason I like to reset most of the time is to get in the same starting position, because my form is shitty if I don't always think about it in training. I have tried both ways and I don't think either made a significant difference though.
    I'm thinking about it, but not sure yet. I see what you mean about the bar. The handles where you would grab are too close. So far it worked out good for the GM's, but not sure about heavy squats. That blue one we had was perfect.

    As far as the deadlifts, I always hear that resetting the reps each time is perfect for building speed off the floor, which I do agree on. But pulling reps and resetting each rep sucks ass, lol. I'll find out if there's a difference when I go for a max single, if it's good i'll keep doing what im doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Good deal, lol - knew it was coming.
    Thanks alot Coke!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by CHASE TRUSNOVEC View Post
    all great training brian...you do what you have to do...youre bull strong and what youre doing is working!!! Keep up the great work brotha!!!
    Thanks alot Chase, I appreciate it!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

    *************************
    Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

    *************************
    Sponsored By:

    10/20/Life

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

  4. #554
    Moderator Brian Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    12,762
    Quote Originally Posted by HJP View Post
    Nice work breaking in the home gym!!! Going to have some mint equipment man, those bars will last for ages an ages!
    Thanks Hayden, i'm looking forward to buying some more, lol. I do plan on spending some money on good equipment, because I plan on keeping it for a long time.

    Quote Originally Posted by GazzyG View Post
    Wish you and your home gym many happy years together, Bri!
    Thanks alot Gaz, I appreciate the support!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

    *************************
    Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

    *************************
    Sponsored By:

    10/20/Life

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

  5. #555
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    I'm thinking about it, but not sure yet. I see what you mean about the bar. The handles where you would grab are too close. So far it worked out good for the GM's, but not sure about heavy squats. That blue one we had was perfect.
    No it's not the handles. I don't have much shoulder flexibility at all, and I have no problem at all grabbing the handles comfortably. It just sucks to squat with. It might not be as bad for you, since I don't think you lean as far forward like I do. But it causes a lot of back pain to squat with if you do and just feels uncomfortable. Especially reps is horrible. (Anyone who stays upright seems to have a much easier time with it and not experience the same thing.) However, I did squat 605 deep and not too hard with it. Walking out will really, really suck going heavy with it though. I know you walk out a lot anyways, so again you might be more used to it, but it swings back and forward a lot. So just a warning on that.....However, I say I hate it and I do, yet I've already squatted with it 3 or 4 times.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

  6. #556
    JERSEY IRON Brian C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    5,369
    I like the philosophy of >3 reps to touch and go. Time under tension as Jesse Burdick preaches.

    Congrats on breaking in the home gym buddy. That garage is going to see some strong ass lifting coming its way!
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

    Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

  7. #557
    Moderator Brian Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    12,762
    Quote Originally Posted by April Mathis View Post
    No it's not the handles. I don't have much shoulder flexibility at all, and I have no problem at all grabbing the handles comfortably. It just sucks to squat with. It might not be as bad for you, since I don't think you lean as far forward like I do. But it causes a lot of back pain to squat with if you do and just feels uncomfortable. Especially reps is horrible. (Anyone who stays upright seems to have a much easier time with it and not experience the same thing.) However, I did squat 605 deep and not too hard with it. Walking out will really, really suck going heavy with it though. I know you walk out a lot anyways, so again you might be more used to it, but it swings back and forward a lot. So just a warning on that.....However, I say I hate it and I do, yet I've already squatted with it 3 or 4 times.
    Oh, well the handles on mine are pretty close. I'm sure i'll be fine squatting with the bar. Plus the added rocking back and forth will help me out when walking weight out. I remember watching John do box squats with the cambered bar plus the 70lb KB's hanging from each side, lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    I like the philosophy of >3 reps to touch and go. Time under tension as Jesse Burdick preaches.

    Congrats on breaking in the home gym buddy. That garage is going to see some strong ass lifting coming its way!
    Thanks, it's just something i'm going to try and see if it makes a difference. I put it to good use today too
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

    *************************
    Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

    *************************
    Sponsored By:

    10/20/Life

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

  8. #558
    Moderator Brian Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    12,762
    Monday
    03/26/12
    BP-75%


    Bench Press
    Bar x 10
    135 x 10
    135 x 3
    225 x 3
    275 x 3
    335/5x3
    335 x 5

    Dead press
    135 x 3
    225/2x1
    315/8x1

    JM presses
    135 x 10
    155 x 10
    175/3x10

    Close grip incline presses
    135 x 10
    185/2x8

    Barbell front raises
    45 x 10
    65/3x10

    Pressdowns w/monster minis
    Band/3x20

    Decline situps
    BW x 10
    BW+15/2x10


    ****************************************
    I trained at home today and it wasn't that bad. I also had to train by myself because my training partner is sick. I was suppose to bench 6x3 with 330, but I don't have any 2.5lb plates yet. So instead of going down, I went up to 335. I'll probably have to do the same thing tomorrow if I squat and pull at home.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

    *************************
    Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

    *************************
    Sponsored By:

    10/20/Life

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

  9. #559
    WBB Team Captain Coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Jacob's ladder
    Posts
    35,261
    Stellar effort on the homefront dude.

  10. #560
    Jersey Iron Barbaccio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somerdale, NJ
    Posts
    1,454
    Good stuff B. I always round up too. Especially if I'm feeling good. 2.5's shouldn't be used often. Just round it to 5's lol.

    sponsored by

    Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

  11. #561
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    Oh, well the handles on mine are pretty close. I'm sure i'll be fine squatting with the bar. Plus the added rocking back and forth will help me out when walking weight out. I remember watching John do box squats with the cambered bar plus the 70lb KB's hanging from each side, lol.
    It's about the same. I had to be careful not to hit my hands on the power rack putting it back, so it looks about the same on yours.

    And that would suck with hanging kbs lol.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

  12. #562
    Goals (kg) 272.5/165/305 HJP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Manawatu, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,372
    Rounding up! Nice man. Strong work on the bench, nailed more than the prescribed with ease
    Best Raw Lifts
    Squat 260kg (573lbs), Bench 150kg (330lbs), Dead 277.5kg (611lbs)

    My Journal

    Heading to the IPF Raw World Champs Suzdal, Russia, 2013

  13. #563
    Moderator Brian Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    12,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Stellar effort on the homefront dude.
    Thanks Coke!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    Good stuff B. I always round up too. Especially if I'm feeling good. 2.5's shouldn't be used often. Just round it to 5's lol.
    Thanks Tone, I'll be doing the same tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by April Mathis View Post
    It's about the same. I had to be careful not to hit my hands on the power rack putting it back, so it looks about the same on yours.

    And that would suck with hanging kbs lol.
    Same here, I have to rack it slow so my fingers won't get pinched.

    Quote Originally Posted by HJP View Post
    Rounding up! Nice man. Strong work on the bench, nailed more than the prescribed with ease
    Thanks Hayden, remember....always round up!!!! LOL
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

    *************************
    Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

    *************************
    Sponsored By:

    10/20/Life

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

  14. #564
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sumter, SC
    Posts
    1,819
    Home gyms are very nice!

  15. #565
    Moderator Brian Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    12,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Home gyms are very nice!
    So far so good, lol
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

    *************************
    Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

    *************************
    Sponsored By:

    10/20/Life

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

  16. #566
    Senior Member GazzyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melton Mowbray, England, UK
    Posts
    3,273
    lol, not got smal enough plates so gonna use more weight - classic.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

    Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

    www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

  17. #567
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Lots of pressing volume Brian, great work.

  18. #568
    Moderator Brian Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    12,762
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzyG View Post
    lol, not got smal enough plates so gonna use more weight - classic.
    I did make the effort today to buy some 2.5lb plates, but they didn't have Olympic size. So rounding up will have to do lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by LuNa View Post
    Lots of pressing volume Brian, great work.
    Thanks Luna!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

    *************************
    Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

    *************************
    Sponsored By:

    10/20/Life

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

  19. #569
    Wannabebig Member Pete Bush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for not banning me. I forgot that we do not know each other that well and my frisky comment may come across as strange.

    Jealous again on the bars. As soon as I get this last kid outta the house, I am doing the home gym thing. Swear to goodness.

    Might do that on the training log thing, just copy and past from my training log and double up the number of people who can wonder what the hell I am doing.

  20. #570
    Moderator Brian Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    12,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bush View Post
    Thanks for not banning me. I forgot that we do not know each other that well and my frisky comment may come across as strange.

    Jealous again on the bars. As soon as I get this last kid outta the house, I am doing the home gym thing. Swear to goodness.

    Might do that on the training log thing, just copy and past from my training log and double up the number of people who can wonder what the hell I am doing.
    Haha, it's all good. Today was my second day training at home and it wasn't that bad, so far so good. Do you keep a log somewhere? I also have a log on the USPA website and RawPL.com, but I spend more time over here.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

    *************************
    Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

    *************************
    Sponsored By:

    10/20/Life

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

  21. #571
    Moderator Brian Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    12,762
    2nd day training @ home

    Tuesday
    03/27/12
    SQ/DL


    Squat-75%
    Bar x 10
    135/2x5
    225/2x5
    315 x 3
    405 x 3
    Added knee sleeves
    495/5x3
    495 x 5

    Deadlift-80%
    225 x 3
    315 x 3
    405 x 3
    495 x 3
    Added belt
    565/3x5

    Barbell Shrugs
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    315 x 10
    365/2x10


    ****************************************
    Another decent day training at home I'm not going to lie, the weights felt heavy but I finished the reps and sets I was suppose to do so that's a plus. I also want to add that my new DL bar is SHARP!!! lol
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

    *************************
    Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

    *************************
    Sponsored By:

    10/20/Life

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

  22. #572
    Jersey Iron Barbaccio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somerdale, NJ
    Posts
    1,454
    Nice work B. Nice to walk out of the gym hitting your numbers and feeling satisfied. Keeps the drive going!

    sponsored by

    Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

  23. #573
    Moderator Brian Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    12,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    Nice work B. Nice to walk out of the gym hitting your numbers and feeling satisfied. Keeps the drive going!
    Thanks Tone!!! Yeah, I am happy with today even though the weights weren't flying. I'm just pleased I finished the day.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

    *************************
    Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

    *************************
    Sponsored By:

    10/20/Life

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

  24. #574
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,486
    New DL bars are the best. That was a good investment to make. It'll last forever.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

  25. #575
    Moderator Brian Hopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    12,762
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    New DL bars are the best. That was a good investment to make. It'll last forever.
    I hope so, my next bar purchase is going to be a Texas squat bar. Hopefully I'll be able to get that one within the next week or so. Then it will be a SSB...my favorite
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

    *************************
    Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

    *************************
    Sponsored By:

    10/20/Life

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Similar Threads

  1. that raw 1800 total goal is one step closer-why training in gear helps raw
    By 1400total in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2010, 04:57 PM
  2. Quest to #1800 single-ply
    By SoCoBarbell in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-22-2010, 08:36 PM
  3. The Journey
    By alcoyot in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2009, 06:28 PM
  4. I just put 1800 calories in a cup and drank it
    By RedSpikeyThing in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 05:36 PM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-15-2005, 11:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •