The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Supplementary/Accessory Exercises For Raw Benching?

For chest what I currently do is I alternate between ultra wide grip bench press (hands one centimeter away from sides of rack), wide grip bench press (index fingers on rings) or my regular grip BP (pinkies on outer rings). For triceps I usually do my CGBP (hands about exactly between inner and outter rings) and JM press.

Do chest flies have good carryover to the bench press? What other exercises do you guys do when you lift raw? My powerlifter friend (who usually benches with Scot M.'s former coach) usually does decline benching, 2 board press, or just regular bench press when working on the bench press.

I know OHP is really great for tri's but I cannot do them heavy for a little while until I get my SI joints mobilized. I never did heavy tricep extensions for the sake of saving my elbow joints. Anyone have success with tate press, rolling tri ext.'s e.t.c.? What do you guys also benefit from doing that build your chest& tri's for raw benching? Thanks.
    Last edited by Murderous; 12-30-2011 at 12:45 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DB bench is great for building the raw bench and adding size.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    DB bench is great for building the raw bench and adding size.
    This would be a tricep targetting exercise. Forgot about these lol thanks for remind me.;

More for the pecs but still hits the triceps.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

To me it sort of imitates a CGBP though.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Heavy board work, training in a shirt or slingshot to get used to holding some heavy weights, Key presses, skull-crushers, and more heavy board presses.....
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Will try out key presses for sure, will try board benching when I see the two powerlifters I mentioned at my gym (that is of course when they are doing it.) These two other powerlifters (who are brothers and hold World records) usually do the regular bench press, bench with bands for higher reps, sometimes they bench with the Titan RAM, and at the end they usually do tri extensions on the cable machine. Don't have access to a shirt and I don't know how to use them and I don't have a crew to train with to teach me/spot me well.

I usually just do tri extensions for prehab conditioning but will give them a try on my RE days since I won't be going so heavy.

Thanks to everyone for your posts.
    Last edited by Murderous; 12-30-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Weighted dips, Sweedish bar, Tate Press, JM press...
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Weighted dips is another to add.

what program are you currently following?

Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x View Post
    what program are you currently following?
    Actually doing my own. Think of it as the West Side bench template where the DE day is replaced with RE and I added chest as a supplementary muscle the same way tri is a supplementary muscle in the west side template. On ME days I work up to a max half the time but I always do some work 90%+ of my max (1-3 reps a set.) All my supplementary/accessory work is heavy on my ME days as well. I progress 15lbish a month if I could make every training day. (seems a little faster that when I was doing DE and following the west side bench template exactly the way it is.)

Definately add weighted dips. Ive started doing them again and am up to adding 180lbs and my bench is starting to move again.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Banned
    More important than any pressing movement is a ton of back and lat work. That would be my first exercise after my main pressing movement. I'd do one heavy movement (5x5-10 reps) and one lighter movement (3-5x15-20 reps) twice a week for 2-3 years. Your bench will go as your back goes.

I work supplementary after the main lift. Floor presses, pin presses or incline.
    After that I hit a lot of work on the triceps. I select 2 exercises and rotate them every 2 weeks. One heavy with barbell and one in a higher rep range. Board and floor presses with close grip, extensions to the throat, skull, JM press, weighted dips, rolling extensions, etc.
    Work heavy rows and lots of upperback/rear delt come right after, together with some hammer curls.
    I donīt believe Flies have any carryover to the bench press.

Have heard from some that floor presses didn't help their raw bench much. I'll give boards a try when I see my powerlifter friend at the gym (that is, if he brings it with him.) Lol it sucks training at a commercial gym, but I live 5 minutes away from it and I pay less so it's the best I could do. The nearest powerlifting gym is Scot M.'s and I haven't heard good things about him from my friend and his former coach, but his gym is the only gym in my area with a good amount of powerlifters and actual powerlifting training equipment.

So far the new exercises that I should be able to do by myself along with the exercises I already said I do in my OP:

Weighted dips, DB press, Key press, rolling extensions, tate press (heard these thrash the elbows if you go heavy/do them for weeks, so I will do this one occasionally).

When I see my powerlifter friend around I'll try to use his boards if he brings them with him. I'll also start doing OHP once I heal soon from my injury.

I know a lot of you swear by board presses but even if I make them I'm going to have people hold it over me inproperly because they don't do this sport, and then I'll probably have to have a spotter help me unrack the weights since they are going to be close or even past to my full ROM 1RM.

Thanks a lot to everyone. I wonder if this topic should be stickied since it will be helpful for other raw lifters.

Instead of board presses, roll up a thick towel and put it under your shirt. You can substitute that for board presses. Just don't let the weight sink too deeply into the towel.

For triceps you have so start doing extension work. Try rolling dumbbell tricep extensions. Also, i don't know why you don't do barbell extensions or jm's. You say you are trying to save your elbows, have you done them enough to know they are causing you a problem? Watch your weight and your form and you will most likely be fine. I don't recommend you doing them every week, but theay are important.

Lastly, be carefull who you listen to in the outside world. If you are a raw lifter emulate raw lifters and their programs. Have you tried floor presses in your program? They have always been a pretty integral part of every raw training cycle I have had and I have had pretty good success with raw benching.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Ok I will give floor presses a try soon as well. I said in my OP that I do JM press. I will also give towel presses a try. Thanks Vince.
    Last edited by Murderous; 12-31-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Instead of board presses, roll up a thick towel and put it under your shirt. You can substitute that for board presses. Just don't let the weight sink too deeply into the towel.

For triceps you have so start doing extension work. Try rolling dumbbell tricep extensions. Also, i don't know why you don't do barbell extensions or jm's. You say you are trying to save your elbows, have you done them enough to know they are causing you a problem? Watch your weight and your form and you will most likely be fine. I don't recommend you doing them every week, but theay are important.

Lastly, be carefull who you listen to in the outside world. If you are a raw lifter emulate raw lifters and their programs. Have you tried floor presses in your program? They have always been a pretty integral part of every raw training cycle I have had and I have had pretty good success with raw benching.
    Murderous,

You are getting advice from people who REALLY exist in this world. Not just some dude from the gym who actually SAY they WERE powerlifters. Vince or Rhodes just to mention two.
    Again, tell the guy who told you that Floor Presses donīt work for triceps/raw bench, to give them a try with close grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_El_Piko View Post
    Murderous,

You are getting advice from people who REALLY exist in this world. Not just some dude from the gym who actually SAY they WERE powerlifters. Vince or Rhodes just to mention two.
    Again, tell the guy who told you that Floor Presses donīt work for triceps/raw bench, to give them a try with close grip.
    It was people from a more body building oriented forum

So I have to do them close grip for best results? Are they not as effective wide? Thanks.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    CGPB engage more triceps as the motion allows you to tuck your elbows more (similar to a dip).
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Quote Originally Posted by Murderous View Post
    It was people from a more body building oriented forum

So I have to do them close grip for best results? Are they not as effective wide? Thanks.
    I work both grips. CG tends to involve even more the triceps in an exercise that focuses triceps like the FP.

floor presses: you can rotate grips (comp/medium/close) and supplement them as an accessory. I wouldn't get caught up doing them every week though.

JM press and DB rollovers are great to do off the ground to save a bit on the shoulder.

DB key press will place more emphasis on triceps than traditional DB bench.

I can't imagine DB flies bringing any carry over to a PL bench considering its more of a BBing movement.

Decline benching is a great assistance or accessory as well (same concept of floor pressing applies).

speed bench is king.

Listen to Rhodes and Vince

I have a completely dumb question.

What is a key press?

For my accesory work i do the following

Skullcrushers
    Rolling tricep extensions (from floor and bench)
    Minor cable work for warm up
    JM presses
    DB presses
    Floor presses (varied grips)

Of course these get cycled into my training. They are not all done everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Dank27 View Post
    I have a completely dumb question.

What is a key press?

For my accesory work i do the following

Skullcrushers
    Rolling tricep extensions (from floor and bench)
    Minor cable work for warm up
    JM presses
    DB presses
    Floor presses (varied grips)

Of course these get cycled into my training. They are not all done everytime.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOQH-NBShVM
    There are othe variations to it. Like keeping a paralell line throughout the whole movement.

Mainly do flat bench, but sometimes switch up with things like board presses (or carpet presses, which is kind of like a soft board or rolled up towel that was already mentioned), slingshot, bench with chains. I have been benching with a loose bench shirt in between and that has been helping improve my lockout. Once in a while i do a incline or decline, wide grip or something else just for something different. I have some shoulder problems, so a lot of times I do thing that are not as hard on the shoulders like I mentioned.

Assistance in usually heavy flat db benching and either pecdec or flyes. I do some triceps and shoulder stuff on a different day, and also do a bunch of rotator cuff stuff once or twice per week. And do back work on a different day also.

I switch a lot between heavy and rep work different weeks.

Also, every big bencher I have ever talked to does something different and has done different things to get where they are. You have to see what works for you.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total