Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 year old Naomi Kutin squatting 205 for 2. Training for Raw Unity Meet in January

Wannabebig Member

10 year old Naomi Kutin squatting 205 for 2. Training for Raw Unity Meet in January

She is hoping to regain the all-time world record squat in the 97lb class, currently at 209. She is really determined!

http://youtu.be/HbQtIbw07BI

This is not healthy for your child, especially the way her back falls forward which could cause her to bust a disc in her lower back. She is strong though.

Wannabebig Member
    Leaning forward while doing a power squat can cause you to bust a disc? You have even one example of this? Because I have been lifting for 30 years, have seen a variety of styles, including leaning pretty far forward, and have never heard of someone busting a disc.

Is that your daughter?

He is correct, that technique can harm the lower back. Get one of Dr. Stuart McGill's books for illustrations as to why (Amazon.com).

If that is your daughter you are doing her a disservice by allowing her to squat with poor form. The forward lean and the knees buckling in are going to lead to injury sooner or later.

She is very strong. She can still set records if you teach her to do it properly.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

she is very strong and I admire her effort, but if you are going to lift weights at that age you need to be worried about form and not numbers. Her knees are caving in and it looks like her back is rounding. Back it off about 100lbs and learn how to squat the correct way. Id be worried about a 200lbs man getting injured squatting 200lbs like that.

edit - I guess Chris beat me to what i was trying to say.
    Last edited by SELK; 12-28-2011 at 09:04 PM.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Wannabebig Member
    I think we've been through this before when she last set some marks.

Id tell you the exact same thing if she was squatting 30lbs or 500lbs.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Wannabebig Member
    Impressive total. Raw or equipped?

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Really impressed with this kid..... I've said it before and I'll say it again, especially coming from the standpoint of an educator for kids this age, it's awesome that she is involved in this and obviously has something to keep her self esteem high through her teenage years....

Is her form great, no. But that is for her coach and parents to worry about, she's not on here looking for advise, neither are her folks. If I were coaching I would 100% work more form because she is obviously very strong, it would be a shame to have her get hurt or even just not achieve her potential because of this...... but I'm not her coach or parent.

So, good for her for being so strong, and good for her family for giving her something to be successful at...... awesome to see it.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Wannabebig Member
    Not going to shun her efforts because thats impressive, but if you dont think a load of 205lbs on a 10 year old girls back can cause severe injuries than something is very wrong.
    5'8 195lbs(5/4/12) start weight 118lbs.

Bench 345 (raw) (6/4/12)
    Squat 425 (raw) (6/5/12)
    Deadlift 545 (raw) (3/31/12)

Total 1315

Training log!

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Is it impressive? Yes...but I though we were through with the squat/good mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by headache View Post
    Not going to shun her efforts because thats impressive, but if you dont think a load of 205lbs on a 10 year old girls back can cause severe injuries than something is very wrong.
    There is no empirical evidence that fully supports that claim. While the body of a child is still developing, I don't known if there is anything adverse about the load in terms of skeletal or muscular development.

...now her form is another story.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

impressive but dangerous

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dank27 View Post
    impressive but dangerous
    Dangerous because she is lifting at all, or because she is lifting the amount she is lifting? If because she is leaning forward, then deadlifts must be lethal, right?

Quote Originally Posted by powerlifter62 View Post
    Dangerous because she is lifting at all, or because she is lifting the amount she is lifting? If because she is leaning forward, then deadlifts must be lethal, right?
    Neither. Because she squats like shes doing a good morning.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Crazy strong! She can squat more than most male adults. I don't think lifting weights for kids is bad. But her form makes me cringe. It's only a matter of time before she get injured. The lean forward + knees caving in is bad. I bet she can squat even more with some form adjustments.

My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

This girl is amazing for her strength her attitude. From the video she seems to enjoy lifting very much. I love how she gets fired up for her attempts. I also have no problem with her lifting heavy at her age. I do agree with pretty much everyone that she needs to be taught proper form. She is very back dominant and probably relatively weak in her quads. Continuing with this type of form will only increase any muscle imbalance that already exists. Also, as has already been mentioned she will be able to squat much more weight with proper form (probably not initially). I lean too far forward when I squat and have difficulties with form due to poor flexability and it has slowed my progress considerably. Dispite what everyone on this forum says, you (powerlifter62) clearly either do not care about injury or will not be convinced that this form could cause injury. Perhaps the idea that she could squat more weight if she had proper form would motivate someone to help her learn how to squat correctly.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike95763 View Post
    This girl is amazing for her strength her attitude. From the video she seems to enjoy lifting very much. I love how she gets fired up for her attempts. I also have no problem with her lifting heavy at her age. I do agree with pretty much everyone that she needs to be taught proper form. She is very back dominant and probably relatively weak in her quads. Continuing with this type of form will only increase any muscle imbalance that already exists. Also, as has already been mentioned she will be able to squat much more weight with proper form (probably not initially). I lean too far forward when I squat and have difficulties with form due to poor flexability and it has slowed my progress considerably. Dispite what everyone on this forum says, you (powerlifter62) clearly either do not care about injury or will not be convinced that this form could cause injury. Perhaps the idea that she could squat more weight if she had proper form would motivate someone to help her learn how to squat correctly.
    Don't care about injury? About my daughter???? Let's stay rational here. My wife and I care far more about her safety than about her breaking world records. And are far more concerned about her safety than any one or group on this board. I understand that several of you are suggesting, even insisting that she is in imminent danger of injury. That doesn't make you right. I, and often my wife and I watch every rep she does. I do try to get her more upright, but I don't see a danger in what she is doing. And this reflects my experience in lifting, and lifting with others for 30 years, as well as monitoring her closely.

As to suggestions that she lacks quad strength, I'm assuming you are being sarcastic. She squats more than her deadlift, and holds the all-time American record in the raw squat. How weak can she be?

Time for thread lock?

some great squatters have employed the squat morning technique to some huge numbers

but they probably didn't start lifting heavy with that technique at 10 nor do their knees cave in.

That girl is strong though, and that is very inspiring, just work on the technique a little more
    Last edited by barryisawinnah; 12-29-2011 at 05:32 PM.

I can understand you defending your daughters form - after all, she is your daughter. I'm not going to discredit your own personal ability and experience, but the fact that you have been watching your daughter so close could also be the problem.

Maybe, just maybe, you need to consider an outside opinion instead of just having her go on like this? It is very hard of catch your own flaws until someone points them out for you. I don't expect a 10 year old to understand the complications of physiology and kinesics, so the majority of what she knows is on you. How is she going to correct her form when the only ones dictating how she learns her form is through her parents?
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig Member
    OK. Just so we're clear, you do know that, in the 97 lb (and below) class, only one woman has ever squatted raw more than my daughter has squatted, right?

That's irrelevant to that fact that your daughter needs to reevaluate her technique.

You posted a video of your 10 year old daughter who at this age, should be a sponge for learning things. At this rate, she'll be doing squat mornings by the time she's in her 20s.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Don't care about injury? About my daughter????
    Actually what I said was you either don't care about injury or you will not be convinced that there is a possiblity that her form could cause her to be injured. Apparently it is the latter.

As to suggestions that she lacks quad strength, I'm assuming you are being sarcastic. She squats more than her deadlift, and holds the all-time American record in the raw squat. How weak can she be?
    I am not being sarcastic. She is very strong for her age and her size but that doesn't mean that she doesn't have relatively weak quads in relationship to her posterior chain and her lower back. I wouldn't be surprised if she could stiff leg deadlift as much as she can deadlift with any other form.

As to her being injured, at this time in her life, with young strong joints, she will probably be ok. Add a few years and a few hundred pounds to her squat and she probably will have problems. I have only ever seen two people squat heavy with form as bad as that. One guy hurt his back and was out of lifting for several years, the other guy was me. I was squatting just over 600 lbs and allowed my knees to cave in like your daughter does. My knees couldn't take the weight and I ended up having the top of my tibia ripped off on both legs. I had to have a transplant surgery just so I could walk again.

No one here is trying to be critical of you or your daughter just to be so. This is an incredibly positive forum, which is why most of us like it. No one wants to see a fellow lifter get hurt, let alone one who is a small child with so much promise. I realise that you have experience lifting, but so do many of the people who post on this board. In any case congrats to you and your daughter for all the hard work you have both put in and best of luck in the future.

Wannabebig Member
    Thank you for the advice, and the benefit of your experience.

I personally do not think someone that young should be lifting at all.

Why is evryone so touchy on this subject? Did i miss something?