Thread: Incline bench

Incline bench

Ok I have always done inclines on a smith machine I have and it's a 45 lb bar granted its guided, but do think it still has carry over for bench if I use it as my main lift on max days, I just don't like the way regular incline benchs make my shoulder feel
    " though the pain may come over you, never let it overcome you "
    FUSCULAR*(fus*ku-lar)adj.: A large person who is a combination of fat and extreme muscular mass.
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21
    (Raw lifts) - BP-325 SQ-600+ DL-520
    My journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...art&highlight=

I would use it as an accessory only and not for a main lift. There are so many other options for a main lift, anything on a Machine is probably a bad idea. If incline bench hurts your shoulder, you should get it checked out to see if there is a problem, and you should do some rotator cuff strengthening if it's needed (which it probably is).

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

It would be better to do that as an assistance lift. It could still be somewhat useful that way, but not as a main lift as said above. Also you could set up an adjustable incline bench in a power rack and try different heights if you haven't already. A slightly different angle may feel better.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

I think using a Smith machine is a bad idea.
    I agree with April; I work my incline on a rather low angle, like 20.

A smith machine as a max effort movement is certainly not going to transfer over to your raw bench much at all in comparison to the plethora of other movements you could be doing.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Bosshogg300 View Post
    Ok I have always done inclines on a smith machine I have and it's a 45 lb bar granted its guided, but do think it still has carry over for bench if I use it as my main lift on max days, I just don't like the way regular incline benchs make my shoulder feel
    Most smith machine bars actually weigh 12.5 or 15 lbs, but either way I would try to work with free weights and free weight variations whenever possible. Have you tried dumbbells? Or possibly some reverse band incline work to take some of the pressure off your shoulders at the bottom of the movement?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    As mentioned above, try using different angles on an adjustable bench. The other thing I do is to mess with my grip width. As of late, I've found that using my middle finger on the ring with a notch higher incline than an incline becj has helped myshoulder pain. Another overlooked aspect is your grip. I use the suicide grip. This takes a ton of stress off my shoulders. Oddly, the regular grip hurts me, but not when I bench.

Play with grips, widths and angles. The Smith Machine should be used for 3 things.

1. Push-ups
    2. Fat Man Pull-ups
    3. A great place to store your belts, wraps and miscellaneous stuff you have at the gym.

Ok thank you everyone for the input it was helpful, I'm am just trying to figure out how I want to attack my weak point off the chest with my max movements I have been doing 2 boards & 1 boards , and I plan on doing floor press still and maybe close grip, do you guys think it is bad to do board press multiple weeks in a row like 4 weeks in a row..then hit a raw bench for my max day then go back and cycle my main lifts agian
    " though the pain may come over you, never let it overcome you "
    FUSCULAR*(fus*ku-lar)adj.: A large person who is a combination of fat and extreme muscular mass.
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21
    (Raw lifts) - BP-325 SQ-600+ DL-520
    My journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...art&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Bosshogg300 View Post
    Ok thank you everyone for the input it was helpful, I'm am just trying to figure out how I want to attack my weak point off the chest with my max movements I have been doing 2 boards & 1 boards , and I plan on doing floor press still and maybe close grip, do you guys think it is bad to do board press multiple weeks in a row like 4 weeks in a row..then hit a raw bench for my max day then go back and cycle my main lifts agian
    How is 4 weeks of board pressing going to help you improve strength off the chest if that is your weak point? If you were weak in the mid-range or lockout, board pressing is more useful, or just occasionally or after full-range work otherwise to get acclimated to more weight.

Strength off the chest:
    bench using cambered bench bar
    wide-grip bench
    regular bench
    incline/shoulder pressing (or other shoulder work)
    heavy upper back work (lats/traps)
    db benching flat or incline
    paused benching
    dead press (a.k.a pin press) from chest height
    sometimes a floor press or decline bench helps for some people
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

actually if your weak off the chest a 1 bd will help, as long as you pause and dont just crash into it

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Most smith machine bars actually weigh 12.5 or 15 lbs, but either way I would try to work with free weights and free weight variations whenever possible. Have you tried dumbbells? Or possibly some reverse band incline work to take some of the pressure off your shoulders at the bottom of the movement?
    This.
    If you have shoulder problems free weight exercises definitely help. If you're looking for something to strengthen your rotators cuff do a couple sets of DB scarecrows.

Banned
    I agree with April. The best way to get better at something is to do it. I've used this anaolgy before, and I must say, it's good.

If a QB needs to get better athrowing the Out Route, he throws thousands of Out Routes. If you need to get better off the chest, becnh.

This is where people get way too caught up in the fancy Westside exercises. Most have no idea which ones actually work. They just throw them in with no rhyme or reason more than, "Because ... said they help...."