The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Bringing up my Upper Chest while on the HCT-12 Program

Ive been using the HCT-12 program since it first came out and im VERY happy with the results. Ive basically gained about 35 lbs in about 2 yrs since i started lifting right after my 16th birthday, but i have a problem..

My upper chest and my chest in general is lagging. I only bench between 245-255 for flat bench (for 6) and i can do 95lb dumbbells on an incline for 6 reps. I cant use the barbell incline at my gym because the angles are to high, making my shoulders do most of the work.

**Heres the problem. My gym only goes up to 100lb dumbbells, and im doing 95lbs on the incline now. So in about a week i wont be able to progress aqnymore using those dumbbells anymore.
    Should i add in chest flyes right after i do the main chest exercise? (ive already added lateral and rear delt raises for my shoulders, no problem. They've grown fine) Should i move on to a higher volume plan, just for my chest since i cant go higher than 100lbs? Or is it just time to a totally different progam alltogether..this is the only routine ive ever used. Thoughts ??

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

House Lannister
    incline smythe or incline machine press, if you have either. otherwise i'd probably find a new gym.

Use the dumbbells for secondary work and barbells as the primary exercise. Problem solved.

In terms of your chest lagging, take a pic so we can see if you are accurate or not.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    As Chris suggested I would move the dumbbell work to the end of your training sessions if your gym does not have heavy enough dumbbells to challenge you. Another option would be to include them as the second movement of a super-set (but this obviously would not coincide with the HCT-12 program).

You could also go with something like a 10+4+4+4 rep range and still build a significant amount of muscle/strength if you want to stick with the same order of exercises and the dumbbells.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    The regular incline bench press works my shoulders more than my chest, so there out of the question. Ive never used the smith machine though, ill see how it goes. And my main goal is size. I could give a rats arse about strength tbh, im doing my first bb show in June. Also can anyone recomend any bodybuilder specific programs ?

This is from June but u get the idea.

You're at a level of development where you're actually able to raise this point (ie not 'I've been training 2 days and really need to bring up my medial delt), which also means you can customise the program, so feel free to incorporate any of the suggestions above.

Based on your pic (lighting's not great), you look to have some great development of the delts and biceps/triceps. It's a guess but it looks like pressing might be a predominantly delt/tricep exercise for you.

Not sure how well equipped your gym is, but I'd start experimenting with some flye based exercises (in addition to your pressing) ie cables in a hybrid press flye, or machines which combine bringing the hands together with a press, or a simple dbell flye.

Variations are endless and this is your opportunity to find out what works for you; initially that's through how the exercise feels in the target area and level of soreness in the area next day or two (soreness whilst not essential is a good indicator of where a novel exercise hits you).

I would also look to keep this movement more deliberate and in a higher rep range (8-15).

Others might chime in with some more helpful tips but that's my 2cents. Nice work by the way. Oh and your 'lagging' chest is going to be a lot more obvious to you than it is to us; looking good!

House Lannister
    Hamo, may wanna see what kind of 'weird' exercises will work for you. I agree with Daniel that you may need to focus on fly movements for a while.

Pec Deck push press

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._dog_style&cr=

how wide is your grip on pressing movements? May need to widen that shit out.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks, ive decided to switch to a new program all together. Hopefully this'll fix the problem

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hamo313 View Post
    Thanks, ive decided to switch to a new program all together. Hopefully this'll fix the problem
    Based on your initial post it sounds like you were following the HCT-12 template for quite some time.

What have you decided to go with now?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Yea ive been using it since Jan 2010 until today. I started Hypotrophy Specific Training (HST) and i like it so far. Its has some higher rep ranges and i feel like i can make some noticible gains before mid February when i have to start dieting

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by hamo313 View Post
    Yea ive been using it since Jan 2010 until today. I started Hypotrophy Specific Training (HST) and i like it so far. Its has some higher rep ranges and i feel like i can make some noticible gains before mid February when i have to start dieting
    Ugh, I hated that program. Severely overrated in my inexperienced opinion.

If you wanted to work in higher rep ranges, have you thought about just doing a bodypart split? Might be useful to have just a 'chest' day at this point.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, HST has a few holes in it's theory IMO. Volume is too low for intermediate/advanced trainers, frequency is too high and you spend way too much time at low intensity of effort. Strategic Deconditioning is unsupported by recent science. Didn't work jack for me and I did it for over a year, so I gave it a really good shot.

If you want to work in some higher rep ranges why not look into Myo Reps. Blade (Borge, the author) used to be the moderator on HST forums and has taken the best parts of HST but has improved upon it with the addition of recent science and results of 100's of PT clients. TBH, Bryan really needs to re-write the whole HST program but then it will look a lot like Myo reps or HCT-12 any way!

Wannabebig Member
    Alright ive changed my program for the last time. I started a high volume routine, based off of Arnolds. But instead of of 5 movements for major bodyparts, i do 3. And for smaller bodyparts i do 1-2. Not gonna go in to specifics (unless someone asks) but ill post some more progress pics around Late Feb. so u guys can see.

Based off of http://www.basskilleronline.com/arno...-routine.shtml