The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: WS 3-day

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar

WS 3-day

Rob Schilke's 3 day Westside

Trying to develop this pl training ...made this literally in my bed before I went to sleep. Obviously working out kinks. My horizontal pressing seems to lack (IMO)...something to keep in mind.

This thing is editable if you feel like things should be moved around/ replaced...or I can just do it myself

Ref work in current journal to see what I've done if possible.

Thanks.
    Last edited by thecityalive; 01-09-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Why would you do back work like pullups and rows the day before you squat and deadlift? I would change that.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

At the moment, it is MWF when I will be lifting. You think a day of rest won't be adequate?

Regardless, thanks, April. That was one of the few things I was scratching my head at.
    Last edited by thecityalive; 01-09-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    At the moment, it is MWF when I will be lifting. You think a day of rest won't be adequate?

Regardless, thanks, April. That was one of the few things I was scratching my head at.
    It said Monday, Tuesday, Thursday when I read it.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Typo and fixed. You you still think it should be changed or is a day of rest adequate?
    Last edited by thecityalive; 01-09-2012 at 04:10 PM.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Just do a normal Westside template on a 9-day schedule instead of 7-days. I'm not sure what Westside information you're basing your template off, but you've modified it to the point it's a completely different program.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Are you saying your life is so incredibly busy you can't train 4 times per week?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    Just do a normal Westside template on a 9-day schedule instead of 7-days. I'm not sure what Westside information you're basing your template off, but you've modified it to the point it's a completely different program.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Are you saying your life is so incredibly busy you can't train 4 times per week?
    At this moment. My final year in school...there needs to be some give and take. I suppose I could work 4 days into my schedule again, but I suppose I could just get over it and get my lifts in when I need to.

3 day offers me time to work in studio n finish up projects that I know will eventually stack.
    Last edited by thecityalive; 01-09-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

It looks ok with Monday/Wednesday/Friday the way you have it. Like I said I don't do westside programs, so I have no comment if it will work well for you the way you have it. Personally I think 1 heavy regular squat and 1 heavy regular bench in 6 weeks is not enough to make much if any progress on those.

And think about this: You said you are weak at benching compared to the other lifts. Yet, you are relatively strong at shoulder work and incline benching. So why do you think focusing on those lifts for your heavy benching will increase your bench press much? Why not work more on regular benching?

And here's some other common 3-day programs you may consider:

Day 1 - Squat
    Day 3 - Bench
    Day 5 - Deadlift

OR

Day 1 - Bench
    Day 3 - Squat/Deadlift
    Day 5 - Heavy assistance work you didn't do on the other days, such as shoulders, back, etc.

OR

Day 1 - Bench
    Day 2 - Squat/Deadlift
    Day 5 - Light Bench/Squat/Deadlift
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Perhaps I can just drop my current scheme. Lookin at it, it's a fucking mess.

I feel I would just benefit from a bench, S/D, Assistance set up...I think I am just getting ahead of myself.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Week 3 you ME sumo and RE conventinal. I would change one of them to some squat variation, preferably back squat since you already front squatted that week.

Week 5 you have ME and RE front squat. I would change the RE front squat to a pull variation of some sort.

Since you're gearing this towards PL, I would try to back squat at least once per week, whether it's ME, RE or DE, you need the weight on your back. I don't know how to edit this without screwing up the view for everyone else, so this is how I would change it:

Week1: ME deadlift & RE back squat, then DE sumo & front squat
    Week2: ME back squat variation & RE deadlift variation
    Week3: DE deadlift & back squat, then ME sumo & RE front squat
    Week4: DE sumo & back squat
    Week5: ME front squat & RE pull variation, then DE pulls & back squats

Since you need to focus on bench, I would remove push presses and incline bench and do some flat pressing variation like floor presses, board presses, close grip against bands, reverse bands, etc.

so for benching I would go with this:

Week1: ME flat bench, RE strict OHP, I would replace shrugs/flyes with tricep work
    Week2: DE flat bench against bands & add another tricep exercise, then ME strict OHP, RE close grip + another tricep
    Week3: DE flat bench against bands, more tricep (see the trend? lol)
    Week4: ME flat bench variation (floor press, rev band press, ultra wide press) & RE strict press, then DE flat bench- more tricep throughout
    Week5: ME strict press, RE flat bench variation- more tricep
    Week6: DE flat bench- more tricep.

When I say more tricep, I mean 1 more exercise for the most part. It also depends on where your weak point is. Triceps are my weak point, so I started hammering them on my upper days and have seen good results.

Hope this helps some.

Regardless of what others have said, I think it's a good setup, but it all depends on what else you've got going on. I throw 2-4 times per week so I need all the recovery I can get. Doing speed work instead of heavy work saves my work capacity for throwing. I can still get in there and hit the weights, but it's not as detrimental. You just need to weigh your options of what you want to do. As I get older, hitting heavy weight every single workout is killer, and I don't have the patience to do a 12,10,8,6 routine, I just don't enjoy it. So I either move heavy weight for 1-3 reps, or light weight really fast for 1- 3 reps and that works great for me. I've seen awesome improvements in the last 8 weeks I've been doing this, but it's tailored to my needs. My priorities relate to throwing, not powerlifting. If I were strictly PLing, I would go with the standard WS template.

I really think with some tweaks (as already mentioned by others and myself) I think you could improve with this.
    Last edited by JSully; 01-11-2012 at 07:38 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t