The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Of all the ways to hurt my shoulder....

At the park with the kids I started pushing my kids on the merry go round thing, my kids are hitting mach 3 hanging on for dear life so here comes another 12-15 kids that want to get on and go that fast too so we stop the thing and load up another herd and then start them spinning, they all had a good time and I did too just seeing all the kids laugh and smile. That is till I get home and my shoulder is freaking killing me. Fast forward 1 month and I still cannot shake the pain. I believe it is the rotator cuff it is in the back of my shoulder and has put a serious hurt on my bench. I had gotten to a 545x2 raw bench and now I can do 315 for a set of 10 and it hurts like a mother. I try to do rotator exercises about 3-4x a week and do shoulder assistance routines to try to recover but I'm not making any ground. Wondering if I should just take some time off from pressing (bench and OHP).
    Best lifts

Bench Raw 560 Equipped 725 single ply
    Deadlift 750

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'd drop money you tore your labrum

There isn't any good way to tell how bad you tore it until you get it checked out, but I'd guess you're probably going to be headed for surgery. I've had some good luck rehabbing a couple of guys with minor tears but something like this sounds a bit more major

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I'd drop money you tore your labrum

There isn't any good way to tell how bad you tore it until you get it checked out, but I'd guess you're probably going to be headed for surgery. I've had some good luck rehabbing a couple of guys with minor tears but something like this sounds a bit more major
    I am not Dr. By any means. However i def agree with the above statement. Initially i would say it was a bad pull of your labrum but givin the amount of time you have been experiencing the pain it makes me believe that is a tear. Go get it checked out asap. Good luck and keep us posted.

A quick search for labrum injuries leads me to think it is a SLAP tear. The descriptions seems most fitting, describing pain when throwing an object and a "catch" at a certain point in the rotation. Bad part is it takes 3-4 months for recovery. I guess I better get checked out rather than prolonging it any further. Guess I'll have to put the meet off in April. Anyone on this board ever have this surgery?
    Best lifts

Deadlift 750

I have not personally, however I've worked with a couple of guys who have and 3-4 mths is probably less time than they experienced before they were back to heavy benching.

If you do the rehab correctly though it'll come together nicely after surgery.

Definitely do not wait though. The longer you wait at this point, the longer it's going to develop scar tissue in there which just makes things more painful.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Sucks. Good luck getting it better. I found out I was jacking my shoulder up for years just by the way I lean on my side on the couch. It's amazing how strong we are, but yet get hurt by stupid nonsense.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by jmccown View Post
    A quick search for labrum injuries leads me to think it is a SLAP tear. The descriptions seems most fitting, describing pain when throwing an object and a "catch" at a certain point in the rotation. Bad part is it takes 3-4 months for recovery. I guess I better get checked out rather than prolonging it any further. Guess I'll have to put the meet off in April. Anyone on this board ever have this surgery?
    With a SLAP tear, you'll often have painful popping or clunking in the shoulder and the sensation of the arm being "dead". Ask for an MRI arthrogram for the diagnosis. You'll probably be asked to rest at first (I would go with a 2 month rest, no loading). And if you do get surgery, we're talking 3 months with no overhead movement and 4 months before light weightlifting, with relatively high incidence of a return of the pain.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 01-10-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Banned
    Rub some dirt on it!

Good luck, dude. See the doctor. If the tear isn't too bad, rehab can work well. Jsut be patient and try to find things that don't hurt it.

This might be a great opportunity to train your back and squat/deadlift. You can focus on all the stuff you "should" do but don't. I know I have a bunch of these things.

Thanks guys. I'm going to the doc today so we'll see.
    Best lifts

Deadlift 750

Good luck with it!
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Sorry to hear of an injury.... good luck rehabbing it.

If it makes you feel any better though... I teach middle school music and band. Recently I have been having a hard time letting go of the bar after a heavy press. My right forearm was all lit up to the point where it was hurting whenever it supported any weight, even on pulls and lateral raises..... the doctor said that it looked like really nasty tendonitis from conducting for 2 hours a day. I am lucky that all I had to do was wear a little band on my forearm when I conduct and it has gotten 50-60% better. But really, my 2 ounce conducting baton was what was tearing up my forearms, not the 800# presses to boards or heavy pulls... unreal how we can get hurt.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!