The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

DSL or cable...Cable or DSL?

I am now using ADSL via Qwest. But am switching to cable soon....

Will cable be faster than my ADSL?

The cable claims 1500K download

ADSL claimes 640K download speed

Personally I am not all that impressed with my ADSL service....hence the switch to cable.

What would be a good cable modem to purchase and what would it cost?
    BMF member

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery,no one but ourselves can free our minds." - Bob Marley

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Cable may be faster..a lot will depend on the usage around you.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Well I live in a complex that is filled with old people. I highly doubt they even know what a computer is or cable internet for that matter...
    BMF member

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery,no one but ourselves can free our minds." - Bob Marley

cable-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -deFenDeRs oF thE unDerRateD

If it doesnt make dollars, then it doesnt make sense

I never knew how skinny I was untill I started gaining a little weight

oh god, cable is so much faster - it isn't even close. unless your cable is capped.

Banned
    I have had great results with cable for several years now.

For some reason, DSL in my area has been unstable and the software has crashed several friends' PCs.

*sigh*

I just wish I could live in the same building I work in... our ISP has their east coast POP upstairs.... we have dual 2MB fibre running right into our office. It's sweet.

Cable is faster. With cable your download speed and upload speed will be the same. With dsl for some reason the upload speed is barely better than twice the speed of a 56k modem. Cable all the way.

i have a cable modem
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

Senior of Kinesiology
    All of you are lucky... I got a lousy 56k...

For a home user cable is better. However DSL is better if you want to host a server. ADSL is DSL's version of cable.
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

Re: DSL or cable...Cable or DSL?

Originally posted by G-B
    I am now using ADSL via Qwest. But am switching to cable soon....

Will cable be faster than my ADSL?

* Maybe. You need to do some research on a few things. How far are you from the telco ADSL switch (CO)? How many people are currently routed through that switch, and what kind of equipment/bandwidth are they providing your connection on? How many people in your area have cable access? Same questions. What kind of equipment and bandwidth are available and what is the current load that's being put on it. 50 users to a single T-1 isn't something I'd invest my monthly payment in.

The cable claims 1500K download

* lol...

ADSL claimes 640K download speed

* Up to. But that's up to the telco or your Internet service provider really. DSL users hit a common access circuit(s), and you don't always get "dedicated access". You could be sharing with 5-10... 20-30 or more people.

Personally I am not all that impressed with my ADSL service....hence the switch to cable.

* I don't blame you. Qwest is your provider. Who's your local telephone provider? Ameritech? MCI? AT&T? I deal with Ameritech daily, and if I ever found an engineer that knew his butt from a hole in the ground there, I'd die of shock. I can't say much, but I hear promising things about MCI.

What would be a good cable modem to purchase and what would it cost?

* See what your cable ISP is going to suggest. They may even be a NIT company and have it in stock for purchase. Ask before you buy.
    Honestly, I don't think you're going to find a definitive answer to what you want to know. But if you're unhappy with your ADSL service, you might as well switch to a cable ISP and give that a whirl.
    "For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother."

Originally posted by Scooby-Doo
    All of you are lucky... I got a lousy 56k...

For a home user cable is better. However DSL is better if you want to host a server. ADSL is DSL's version of cable.
    ADSL = Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line. Downstream/Upstream aren't identical. Only difference between that and DSL (Or SDSL - Symmetric Digital Subscriber Line) is that the speeds on SDSL/DSL are identical up and down.

Both ADSL and Cable can host a server with a static IP, because they are both dedicated (I mean, can be constantly on... not dedicated data resources) access.

What's the lol at 1500k? That's not 1500kbits/s which is actually slow for cable. Mine downloaded well in excess of that.

Originally posted by MarshallPenn
    What's the lol at 1500k? That's not 1500kbits/s which is actually slow for cable. Mine downloaded well in excess of that.
    I would hope so, hee. If my MSO capped me at 1500kbits I would be sh*tting a brick.