Thread: Obliques - I wanna 6 pack

Jedi Master

Obliques - I wanna 6 pack

I'm currently 5' 7'' and weigh 162 lbs, down from about 175 in the past year, been cutting carbs like crazy, lifting and doing cardio 5-6 times a week.

I have never had a 6 pack before, because I've always been struggling with a gut, is there anything I can do besides a proper diet and crunches to get to my goal (hopefully by mid-July)?

Right now I have a small gut, but when I look in the mirror I can see some boxes in the gut area, but when I sit up straight it still just "hangs out". Will that ever go away? When I poke at my obliques with my fingertips, I can still feel oodles of blubber, and often feel bloated and look bloated in the mirror

I'm taking Xenadrine EFX, eating less than 100g of carbs of day (thereabouts that is), lots of protein, and a good amount of fat. Supplementing with calcium pills as well.

My daily routine consists of:

* 30 minutes cardio (I work out HARD and burn about 300-400 cals each session)
    * 20 minutes of circuit training with machines and free weights for my biceps/triceps
    * 15 minutes of stomach exercies which include:

- 50 crunches
    - 30 reverse crunches (sometimes with medicine ball)
    - 30 side situps (sometimes with the Ab Roller)
    - 2 sets (20 reps) of cross cable twists for my obliques

Sometimes I use a 25lb weight to do the crunches...

I used to be a hard core free weight guy that benched and everything, but I didn't want to bulk up anymore because I didn't have a workout partner anymore and just didn't want to "maintain" that kind of pace in my workouts. So now I'm a dedicated "cutter" to see if that gets me to where I want to be.

I fear, I'll never get the dreaded, but much desired 6 pack, but I'd like to know if it's possible with what I'm doing....

JC

"Hone to tone" your abs. Your abs are just like any other muscle on your body, stimulate them and let them rest. Try ab workouts every other day and don't use a weight unless you want big bulky looking abs. Keep your mid-section slimmer, not bigger than your chest!

As with thermogenic supplements, don't continuously take them. Try consuming them for 6wks and then with out for 4wks. You take those things on a straight run, your body will eventually not respond to it.
    True wisdom is knowing that you know nothing

Jedi Master
    Oh yeah....

As for my diet, I knock down 2 cans of tuna day and eat 2 supplement bars as well.

I started on Xen EFX about 3 weeks ago, and I will take another month's supply and then cycle off.

I thought you could work out abs during each workout - this is what a trainer told me years ago. I guess I'm addicted to trying to eradicate the remaining blub so bad, that I don't even seem to know how to rest (the abs that is).

Many people who are not seriously into fitness take on the common knowledge of working out a specific muscle thinking it will burn fat in that area. And the more common area is the mid-section. People will spend endless hours working out that area but don't get the results they want. The abs are a small muscle group hence they burn less calories. Remember that you gain fat first and lose fat last in the mid-section.
    True wisdom is knowing that you know nothing

don't use a weight unless you want big bulky looking abs.
    This is a myth. Sorry, check anywhere.. Working abs often or with weight WILL NOT make you bulky!

Diet is number 1 when it comes to abs.
    Stop circuit training, it's the worst of both worlds, especially when doing that much cardio.
    Lift HEAVY 3-4 times a week and do cardio 3-4 times a week, a few early morning cardio sessions(empty stomach) and a few sprint sessions in the afternoon, after taking in carbs. Try to do cardio on seperate days as weights. Post your diet, that will be the biggest factor. And start lifting heavy as soon as possible.
    Yes, you cannot spot reduce fat from abs. No, you should not do abs light. Do weighted ab excercises, and lower the number of excercises you are doing.

Also a lot of people use eca for long periods of time and it continues to work. Hope that helps.

My 2 pents.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

IMHO,

you shouldn't have to use any ECA product for more than two weeks (if you then I think your doing something wrong)
    I have friends that have taken them continuously for the past few YEARS and they haven't had any benefits. If taken properly you'll see results from them within days if not a week or two tops.

As far as abs, if you flex em and can feel em then your halfway there. If you don't even know how to flex them then your at least a year or two away from a decent six pack.

Form is critical with abs, if you don't feel them burning from low reps then your form is wrong. 10 properly executed crunches should make you feel like you just ripped your gut open.

Finally if you push and feel blubber and not muscle in your stomach area then I think you can forget about a six pack for this summer and just work on it for next summer.

Invest in a quality book-my favority is the arnold encyclopedia of bodybuilding. Learn how muscles work and then you'll be able to understand the importance of form, and you'll execute it, and then you'll have the body you want within no time.

Also how old are you?

This kinda hobby requires patience when you are starting out. Its kinda like fishing...if it was easy they would call it catching.

Originally posted by jcybex
    Oh yeah....

As for my diet, I knock down 2 cans of tuna day and eat 2 supplement bars as well.

That is all you eat all freakin day????
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Originally posted by geoffgarcia
    ...Invest in a quality book-my favority is the arnold encyclopedia of bodybuilding. Learn how muscles work and then you'll be able to understand the importance of form, and you'll execute it, and then you'll have the body you want within no time....
    Considering that Arnold advocates EXTREMELY high volume workouts and that he believes spot reduction is possible (even though science continually tells us it's not), i think that this book is not a good choice for a beginner. Sure, it'll show you lots of great exercises, but it won't help you develop a plan that works for a normal human who is not using steroids.

Has anyone else here ever read "Gaining MASS" by Anthony Ellis? You can only buy it online, and it's more of a program than a book. Personally, i think it's the most useful, easy to read bodybuilding book i've ever read. It explains in plain English how the body works, what different supplements do, etc. It's definitely designed for beginners (that would be me) but it's got a lot of great info and you don't have to wade through 300 pages of crap to find it.

Originally posted by NateDogg

That is all you eat all freakin day????
    That's what I'm thinkin...that's the problem if it's all he's eating.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Cue-Ball-I'll try to pick up that book you recommended. I'm always looking for more reading material and different perspectives.

I enjoy arnolds book for the reasons you said (descriptions of exercises) and a few others.
    While I don't know enough about this hobby to say good/bad about his programs, I know from my perspective it gave me a great foundation. And for the 5-10 people I've recommended it to, I've received nothing but thanks for introducing them to such a great book.

Jedi Master
    I'm 28 1/2 right now, here's my diet:

9:15AM - Myoplex Bar
    10:30 AM - Myoplex Bar
    12:30 PM - can of tuna
    2:30 PM - can of tuna
    4:30 PM - light snack (different nutrition bar or something low carbs, peanut butter?)
    7:00 PM - dinner with wife (usually a meat dish with light pasta or rice and veggies - I don't each much of the rice/pasta)

I feel really full with this routine, but I think some folks told me to eat more when I posted this about 2 weeks ago. I think I eat about 1800-2000 calories a day with limited carbs, and I've definitely lost some weight doing it.

Like I said earlier, I used to be hard core free-weight, pump til I explode (did it for 15 years) dude, but the results were that I got bigger, was stronger but hovered around the 170-175 lb range (which I hated). I really want to get leaner, so switching to the circuit training (which I train hard on btw) has definitely helped me to cut. But that's just me....

Ecoli die
    I would guess that your circuit training did not help you cut, but rather your reduced diet and cardio helped you cut.

IMHO circuit training is for out of shape aerobics instructors who want to be able to claim that they work out with weights and do aerobics but they can't get the cajones to go to where the real men and women go.

Have you set specific goals for fat loss? I know when I have a broad goal like what you have, it's difficult to reach unless I set specific weekly or monthly goals that I can measure that will help me reach my eventual goal.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Jedi Master
    Okay, I didn't mention this before, but one of the main reasons besides the fact that it didn't get the results doing the hard core free weights, is because my doctor told me that I should consider circuit training because of injuries to my hands/arm from Repetitive Stress (ie: the keyboard and mouse and the typing pain, etc). That's probably the 2nd biggest reason I dropped off the free weights about a month ago.

My specific goals is to hopefully get from the 162/163 I'm at now to about 155 or so by mid July. I'm actually NOT too far from having a svelte mid-section actually (waist size is about 29-30 now), but I do have some blub left to go and I do feel bloated a lot which makes it hang out. I'm also afraid of having "loose" skin from my years as a semi-fatty, so I don't know if that's part of the "blub" that I mentioned I was poking at (my obliques that is)....

Question for those of you who have the 6 pack, do you still get that bloated, stomach's kinda drooling a little over the belt look even after you've achieved this feat from time to time? I've never had a 6 pack, so I have no clue....
    Last edited by jcybex; 05-31-2002 at 11:00 AM.

...fattest...fatter...fat. WannaBeStrong's Avatar
    Drink more water (your 'look' could be from dehydration), eat more real food in place of myoplex; Bill Phillips has enough of your money. Here is how much food you need for 1900 calories.

[code]

calories fat carbs protein
    Meal #1
    Whole wheat pita 140 0 31 6
    5 slices of packaged
    turkey 125 0 5 20
    Apple 81 0 21 0
    ---
    Meal #2
    Cottage Cheese 160 0 10 28
    Peach 42 0 11 1
    Orange 81 0 15 1
    10 Baby carrots 38 1 8 1
    ---
    Meal #3
    2 oz almonds 340 28 12 14
    ---
    Meal #4
    6 oz Chicken breast 220 2 0 50
    w/ salsa 7 0 1 0
    4 slices Turkey Bacon 137 11 1 9
    ---
    Meal #5
    1 can tuna in water 150 1 0 33
    4 slices Turkey Bacon 137 11 1 9
    ---
    Meal #6
    4 oz Lettuce 13 0 2 1
    2 Tbsp Flaxseed Oil 240 27 0 0
    1/4 cup Cider Vinegar 8 0 4 0

Totals : 1893 82 121 177
    f : 40%
    c : 22%
    p : 38%
    [/code]

Just an example, not a guideline. Hell, I will tell you if it works in about 6 weeks.
    Last edited by WannaBeStrong; 05-31-2002 at 10:32 AM.

Jedi Master
    thanks for note! I drink about 10 glasses of water a day

These boys covered most of it, but....

Xen EFX is complete crap. Either get the REAL Xenadrine (with ephedrine), or stop taking that stuff when the bottle runs out and save your money.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Originally posted by geoffgarcia

Form is critical with abs, if you don't feel them burning from low reps then your form is wrong. 10 properly executed crunches should make you feel like you just ripped your gut open.

*** I don't want to be nit picky so I won't focus on the rest of your post. What I will say is that a "burn" has nothing to do with whether or not the muscle is being activated. If the weight you use brings about fatigue in either the form of failure (concentric) or loss of form then that will suffice.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Jedi Master
    The reason I use Xen EFX is because Ephedrine basically gets me mad at the world and I can't deal with it.

I'm a little confused by these posts, so a burn when you do crunches, etc doesn't mean anything???

go to the diet forum
    Homer Jay Simpson: Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer.
    Homer's Brain: It's a deal!