Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shirt with submax weights

Shirt with submax weights

Hey looking for some opinions.
    Im running 531 for powerlifting with gear. Im supposed to do 80%1x3 in my shirt on my 3 week, and 85% for 1x1 after 531 week but theres no way those will touch with my meet shirt. I could touch it with a loose shirt but wouldnt get any practice with the gear I need practice with. Would it be best to just use the lowest board I could get it to, take it a few times and let it float, or just do it for one set like it says and know its not touching. Im still a ways out from the meet btw
    Thanks for the help, and if anyone has ran the program with gear like the book says please give feedback!

Don't use any boards. Bring each rep down as far as possible.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

What Travis said, check out this article also http://articles.elitefts.com/article...rt-of-triples/

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Agreed. Until you know your shirt inside/out don't use the boards. Work on getting it down as far as possible and stabilizing it.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Thanks for the advice. Its so cool to be able to ask 800 lb benchers this stuff whenever.

Banned
    Personally, I wouldn't use 5/3/1 in the gear. I'd use it as a first exercise before you put the shirt on.

If you do use it in the gear, don't take of 10% to generate your numbers. And if you can't touch 80%, then you don't know how to use your shirt. I saw Vincent touch 635 in a shirt he benched 800 in. Nut up and learn to be patient in the hole.

im going off jims 531 for powerlifting book
    the book says to do your 3 531 sets raw and do a set w the shirt after. its 80% of ur meet best for 3 one week and 85% for 1 another week. My best bench in a meet is 523 which was my opener. Ive done 575 to a half board, 550 in the gym full range and 590 off a 2 board. The least ive touched is 523 so im going off those numbers. That means Im supposed to hit 444 (85%)for one with my shirt or 415 (80%) for 3. Neither of those will get anywhere near touching so I wanted to know what I should do instead. I could touch it with a loose shirt but that would 1. be easy and 2. not help me use meet shirt.

The shirt is pretty new, used it under 10 times, trained w ryan kennelly most of those and the lowest I got under his supervision is 575 to the half board.
    Last edited by kingns; 01-10-2012 at 02:09 PM.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Work speed down, or descending boards to learn your groove..... it does just sound like you need more practice in the shirt.

The problem with even a great program like 5-3-1 is that it won't accommodate your personal weaknesses..... you have some very good benchers on here helping you find out what you need to work, and I agree with them.

My meet best is 705, which I've done twice. At my last meet I locked out 733 but it drifted in to the racks before I got the call.
    I opened up around 650 and will typically touch as light as 585..... with that said, thanks to guys like Luyando and Rudy Rosales helping me out I CAN touch as light as 405. It sucks to do it, but I can if I need to ( and have just to prove a point when teammates complain about not being able to touch in a shirt that's fitted right and broken in)

Take the time to learn your shirt.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kingns View Post
    im going off jims 531 for powerlifting book
    the book says to do your 3 531 sets raw and do a set w the shirt after. its 80% of ur meet best for 3 one week and 85% for 1 another week. My best bench in a meet is 523 which was my opener. Ive done 575 to a half board, 550 in the gym full range and 590 off a 2 board. The least ive touched is 523 so im going off those numbers. That means Im supposed to hit 444 (85%)for one with my shirt or 415 (80%) for 3. Neither of those will get anywhere near touching so I wanted to know what I should do instead. I could touch it with a loose shirt but that would 1. be easy and 2. not help me use meet shirt.

The shirt is pretty new, used it under 10 times, trained w ryan kennelly most of those and the lowest I got under his supervision is 575 to the half board.
    If you trained with me I'd tell you to stop crying and touch 445. Don't be a coward.

And the Barzeen is right. It sucks touching really light weight, but nut up if you want to get good at it. Or, go raw.

as tough as that advice is i'm still gonna take it, and say thanks for your advice. And attempt to stop crying about it

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Nut up and learn to be patient in the hole.
    That's what SHE said. LOL Couldn't resist...

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    That's what SHE said. LOL Couldn't resist...
    Don't be jealous, Tone. I still love you the most

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Don't use any boards. Bring each rep down as far as possible.
    I agree. I hit my biggest equipped benches only doing full range shirt work. I saved
    The boards for raw lockout work. Once I started falling apart and had to use boards to get shirt work in my bench declined.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

My 2 cents......... Take the 5/3/1 program and throw it out the window. Its great for raw training but I dodn't think it fits for gear whores. Find a gym with exsperienced lifters travel if you have to. You can try to learn by taking advice from keyboard trainers but not the same as hands on. If your to cheap to travel then film all your shirted training sessions and post them on here so we can all tear it apart. I have guys that travel upto 2 hrs each way come train with me so they can get hands on exsperience. Its more then worth it. When I was clueless I traveled 3 hrs round trip to learn the shirt.

Like Barzeen said no reason you can't touch with light weight. Its all about technique and manipulating your body. Make sre you have spotters that have somewhat of a clue and can talk you through the lift and leave the boards out until you get proficient with touching. Once you are confident with touching add brds to target your weak points in the movement.

Rob is dead on here... if you can't make it work yourself go find someone who can help.

I'm past due for a trip out to work with Rob's crew but even as good as my own team is, I still learn something every time I make the drive out ( 4 hours round trip).....

Tomorrow im going to do my raw sets, put my shirt on, wet it down with warm water and work it as low as possible with around the weights im supposed to, with good coaching AND video it. That being said...

over the sumer i drove 220 miles round trip to train with ryan kennelly. Now thats not really possible. Im going to train with a good group tomorrow morning to get the shirt work in. As a student in the middle of nowhere, working and studying for the CPA exam I need a way to get in quality training without having to spend all my time figuring out what to do, without access to competent side spotters, board holders, and someone to lift off. 531 seems to be the best option for me now. If i could get to a quality gym every week and "live in my shirt" I absolutely would.
    I appreciate the advice from all of ya.
    Last edited by kingns; 01-13-2012 at 11:18 PM.

It worked. I wet the shirt before I put it on, took 405 as low as i could, shitty vid of that one, did 425 for 3 pretty close to touching, then did 445 for 3 and touched the third. I poured water on the collar between each set. I feel like its stupid getting excited about benching less than I have before, but touching light weights is a skill i wanna have. If anyone has feedback, or sees why i stick right towards the top please let me know, i think its a technique thing.

Banned
    Tomorrow im going to do my raw sets, put my shirt on, wet it down with warm water and work it as low as possible with around the weights im supposed to, with good coaching AND video it. That being said...

over the sumer i drove 220 miles round trip to train with ryan kennelly. Now thats not really possible. Im going to train with a good group tomorrow morning to get the shirt work in. As a student in the middle of nowhere, working and studying for the CPA exam I need a way to get in quality training without having to spend all my time figuring out what to do, without access to competent side spotters, board holders, and someone to lift off. 531 seems to be the best option for me now. If i could get to a quality gym every week and "live in my shirt" I absolutely would.
    I appreciate the advice from all of ya.
    Training in gear is pretty stupid then. If you're schedule and life doesn't allow the time to get good in it, why would you work something that you can't truly work on?

Banned

It worked. I wet the shirt before I put it on, took 405 as low as i could, shitty vid of that one, did 425 for 3 pretty close to touching, then did 445 for 3 and touched the third. I poured water on the collar between each set. I feel like its stupid getting excited about benching less than I have before, but touching light weights is a skill i wanna have. If anyone has feedback, or sees why i stick right towards the top please let me know, i think its a technique thing.

I don't train n the shirt anymore, but it looks like your triceps/lockout just isn't up to par.

But, I don't like picking your head up, either. Taht can mess with the groove, plusit will cause you to loosen up at the bottom and your back may potentially slide.

Put a belt on. The shirt is secured in cometition with the belt. Practice how you play. Training without a belt makes no sense at all. You're learning to do something that you'll have to relearn once you use a belt.

im wearing a belt when I put the shirt on, its black so maybe not visible on the black shirt. THanks for the help. I need to keep my head down, with so many cues to think of during the set that one always gets lost. And Im training in my gear just enough to keep a feel for it, but am not peaking for a meet with it at the moment. My next meet is probly May

Looks solid.... but like Rhodes said, keep your head back. You can see it in the video, as you look down your belly runs away from the bar. As you get closer to touching keep your head back, drive your butt back toward your head and push your belly up.
    The hitch at the top could be strength or it could just be your form not being smooth, maybe driving up and then at the top popping your elbows out and under the bar instead of one smooth motion. It's hard to tell from this angle.
    Congrats on getting that shirt to work for you.

Solid work. If you really need to lift your head just bring your ching towards your chest with out lifting your head up. This will allow you to see whats going on without braking you down. Drive your heals harder on the press. Push your stomach up to meet the bar. You would of touched every rep if you had used your stomach. Work the shit out of your lockouts on a seperate day.

Right now w the 531 program Im doin raw 3 board on my other bench day as the main lift. Would a 4 or 5 board be better? And I really try to keep my head down Im just usually focusing on my arms, stomach and feet and cant seem to remember my head!

Thanks everyone

Banned
    I don't know what Rob thinks about this, but I found that board work didn't help my lockout much. I ended up being really good at pressing half way up. I wasn't used to driving hard all the way through the lift. Now, I'm 6'4" with very long arms, so that might have a lot to do with it.

I had success with Reverse Bands, Pressing against bands and chains and just working in the shirt. I trained my lockout with full range movements and had much better success and much smoother looking lifts.

Lockout work should be done raw for the most part. If your going to do lock out work in a shirt use a loose single ply just so you get some shoulder support. I had to switch to this because the weights I was using for raw lockouts was kicking my ass and taking tolls on my shoulders. Big Gene suggested using a loose single ply and since I took his advise my lockout has rocketed. Keep in mind I do my lockout work on a seperate day.

I have never done bands or chains in a shirt so can't really voice an opinion without having tried them.