The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    83

    What do you guys prefer custom workout or already made programs?

    Hey guys i was just curious what kind of programs you guys prefer? A homemade workout program or a Template like HTC-12?
    Benefits of Home made workout:
    Your own program
    Work on strength and weaknesses
    Creativity
    More likly to stick with it.
    Template Based:
    if your a newby you know where to start.
    professionally made
    organized
    allows flexability

    Those are some of the ideas I got out of this. What are your guys thoughts? I am using a template HTC-12 and am loving it. How about you guys?

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21
    If you know what you're doing then you're going to do your own thing, but at the end of the day, it's prbably going to be a tweaked version of some existing routine you've done in the past.

    If you're loving that workout then you will stick with it, but when you get further into it, you'll probably find things that either don't challenge you, or areas that you want to improve, which is where you will break away from it.

    God luck until then
    Customized Nutrition and Weight Training Exercises To Get You Ripped With somanabolic muscle maximizer. Get your results fast.

  4. #3
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJohnston View Post
    If you know what you're doing then you're going to do your own thing, but at the end of the day, it's prbably going to be a tweaked version of some existing routine you've done in the past.

    If you're loving that workout then you will stick with it, but when you get further into it, you'll probably find things that either don't challenge you, or areas that you want to improve, which is where you will break away from it.

    God luck until then
    Very good points. I do feel like umost all programs you make revolve around your favorite movements, and what you like. If someone develops more from a 4 day split they do them. if your chest doesent develop from once a week why the hell would you have only once a week, beacuse a program says only one? I guess its really all on how your body feels. If you do better with multiple movements on the same bodypart why just do one? I guess it really is all prefrence. Sorry for the pointless rant, but I think it serves a good reason. I feel like we all know this though.

  5. #4
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21
    I think it's also important to try different workouts, to find what works for you at any point in time.

    I've always been faily independent in how I train, but then again, I have tried a lot of things, since I started as a gymnast aged 7. Different sort of training to what you're talking about, thats just pure strength, no mass. And that is also going to make a big difference to how you train, if you're looking for massive size, balanced size and strength, or massive strength and not much size.

    I need a workout to make me feel energized, if it doesn't, I move on to something else. If it has treadmill, it's gone.

    I personally like workouts with supersets for intensity, and the cardio built in, but I also like something of a challenge with exercises other than the standard stuff most people do, to challenge me...

    How about you, what do you look for in your workout?
    Customized Nutrition and Weight Training Exercises To Get You Ripped With somanabolic muscle maximizer. Get your results fast.

  6. #5
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJohnston View Post
    I think it's also important to try different workouts, to find what works for you at any point in time.

    I've always been faily independent in how I train, but then again, I have tried a lot of things, since I started as a gymnast aged 7. Different sort of training to what you're talking about, thats just pure strength, no mass. And that is also going to make a big difference to how you train, if you're looking for massive size, balanced size and strength, or massive strength and not much size.

    I need a workout to make me feel energized, if it doesn't, I move on to something else. If it has treadmill, it's gone.

    I personally like workouts with supersets for intensity, and the cardio built in, but I also like something of a challenge with exercises other than the standard stuff most people do, to challenge me...

    How about you, what do you look for in your workout?
    Well In my workout I look for the pump, and I like to be big, and built, but I like to keep my fat down alittle bit and by a little I mean 13 to 15% I eat close to 3500 calories a day, and do 30 minutes of cardio 2 to 3 times a week. I personally like homemade programs, beacuse it helps me on what I am looking for, and some templates just dont give that for me.

  7. #6
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Well In my workout I look for the pump, and I like to be big, and built, but I like to keep my fat down alittle bit and by a little I mean 13 to 15% I eat close to 3500 calories a day, and do 30 minutes of cardio 2 to 3 times a week. I personally like homemade programs, beacuse it helps me on what I am looking for, and some templates just dont give that for me.

    I wouldn't listen to him. Pretty sure he's a spammer.


    Pump doesn't mean much.

  8. #7
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    69
    Huh, which one's the spammer? Wingman's a newbie and only been here a few weeks but seems to be taking everyone's advice on board. The other guy seems to just be genuinely sharing his own experiences/ preferences.

    Anyway, yeah forget the pump as a way to muscle growth, some days you'll get it some you won't, but growing is all about progressive overload/ mechanical strain and a little fatigue.

    As to the original question, I look for programs that are built on principles but don't lock you into specific exercises or splits etc. I'm kind of stuck on HCT-12 because of both the science/ real world experiences and its customizing ability. It has a solid template (which in itself is very adjustable) but because it is based on principles there is nothing to say you can't add extra specific exercises or high rep sets etc for lagging body parts as you become more advanced.

    Once your familiar with the principles and know your body fairly well you can make adjustments almost infinitely.

  9. #8
    Senior Member ZAR-FIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rahway NJ
    Posts
    204
    I'm also a free style type... i go in knowing what muscle i want to work, but never truely knowing what path i'm going to take. I love switching things up, maybe too often. I also love training for "the pump." It does make a difference in my training. Like after a set of heavy bench i might drop and bang out a few pushups just to fill the muscle up. Certain times i dont worry about the pump and i just want to move the weight, but usually with a heavy weight i'm gonna get a crazy pump anyway. One trick i've learned to keep my workouts intense and "pumped" the whole time is to drink AtLarge Nutrition's RESULTS during my workout. Drinking that pretty much guarantees that i'll get a good workout in cause the dextrose is constantly supplying my muscle with more and more energy. And my vascularity looks awesome during the workout because of it.
    Last edited by ZAR-FIT; 01-23-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brett...46392658804230 --Actor, Bodybuilder, Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist

    Follow my Workouts - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...olume-Workouts

    http://www.atlargenutrition.com/

  10. #9
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Huh, which one's the spammer? Wingman's a newbie and only been here a few weeks but seems to be taking everyone's advice on board. The other guy seems to just be genuinely sharing his own experiences/ preferences.

    Anyway, yeah forget the pump as a way to muscle growth, some days you'll get it some you won't, but growing is all about progressive overload/ mechanical strain and a little fatigue.

    As to the original question, I look for programs that are built on principles but don't lock you into specific exercises or splits etc. I'm kind of stuck on HCT-12 because of both the science/ real world experiences and its customizing ability. It has a solid template (which in itself is very adjustable) but because it is based on principles there is nothing to say you can't add extra specific exercises or high rep sets etc for lagging body parts as you become more advanced.

    Once your familiar with the principles and know your body fairly well you can make adjustments almost infinitely.
    DavidJohnston. Check his link. Guaranteed spammer.

  11. #10
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Huh, which one's the spammer? Wingman's a newbie and only been here a few weeks but seems to be taking everyone's advice on board. The other guy seems to just be genuinely sharing his own experiences/ preferences.

    Anyway, yeah forget the pump as a way to muscle growth, some days you'll get it some you won't, but growing is all about progressive overload/ mechanical strain and a little fatigue.

    As to the original question, I look for programs that are built on principles but don't lock you into specific exercises or splits etc. I'm kind of stuck on HCT-12 because of both the science/ real world experiences and its customizing ability. It has a solid template (which in itself is very adjustable) but because it is based on principles there is nothing to say you can't add extra specific exercises or high rep sets etc for lagging body parts as you become more advanced.

    Once your familiar with the principles and know your body fairly well you can make adjustments almost infinitely.
    I like that! That is true I feel like my chest needs more work so I tend to add flies or maybe some incline db press at the end of my workout for HTC

  12. #11
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAR-FIT View Post
    I'm also a free style type... i go in knowing what muscle i want to work, but never truely knowing what path i'm going to take. I love switching things up, maybe too often. I also love training for "the pump." It does make a difference in my training. Like after a set of heavy bench i might drop and bang out a few pushups just to fill the muscle up. Certain times i dont worry about the pump and i just want to move the weight, but usually with a heavy weight i'm gonna get a crazy pump anyway. One trick i've learned to keep my workouts intense and "pumped" the whole time is to drink AtLarge Nutrition's RESULTS during my workout. Drinking that pretty much guarantees that i'll get a good workout in cause the dextrose is constantly supplying my muscle with more and more energy. And my vascularity looks awesome during the workout because of it.
    I start my workout off with jacked3d that helps my pump!

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    655
    I have done my own routines and pre-made ones. I feel until someone truely knows the principles behind a good program, and preferably how their body responds to different levels of volume & training frequency, they will be better off on a pre-made program.

    I prefer proven pre-made ones myself also as I tend to stick with them longer as I know they are good, as opposed to my own ones. Slight tweaks can always be done to account for weak areas etc

  14. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    160
    I prefer KNOWING what I am doing works and works well. Otherwise I'd always be second guessing myself, change things up too often and miss on progression. It takes too long to see results in the world of strength training to dick around with your own misadventures, thinking you know better than the pros. I'm sure when you reach a certain level (near elite) you can go for it and train as you like but otherwise... pfffttt.

  15. #14
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,294
    Quote Originally Posted by NITF View Post
    I prefer KNOWING what I am doing works and works well. Otherwise I'd always be second guessing myself, change things up too often and miss on progression. It takes too long to see results in the world of strength training to dick around with your own misadventures, thinking you know better than the pros. I'm sure when you reach a certain level (near elite) you can go for it and train as you like but otherwise... pfffttt.
    x2.

    Wingman why the fuck are you trying to re-invent the wheel? You know what I have focused on that has put a shitton of size on my chest in the past 6 months? PRESSING.

    Get your incline dumbbell press to 100sx6, your incline barbell to 225x6, and see what happens to your fucking chest. It will explode.

    And for the love of God don't try and do your own thing. At this stage you do NOT know your body that well or what works best for you. If you did, you wouldn't be asking these types of questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by DANTE TRUDEL
    Im seeing a repetitive phenomenon with the people I train that I want to state here. Ive trained alot of people now in the last 2 years on the net and also in person previously. I keep noticing the same things-basically on how various trainees brain's work. When people contact me for training, the guys who have a big work ethic and believe in a system of training whether its mine or westside or 5x5 or whatever, and hammer it and hammer it hard come to me as big people already. These are the bodybuilders you see out there in the street. Big guys that you know lift, there is no doubt that they are bodybuilders. On the other hand I have gotten alot of guys who have been lifting 5-10 years and you would never know they lifted even once unless they made it a point to tell you about it (and many do--LOL). And Ill tell you what the overwhelming continual trait those guys have. THEY OVERTHINK THIS, OVERANALYZE, keep second guessing themselves, follow this routine this month and that routine the next, and Flex magazine the third month. It all depends on what they happen to read that week. HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW WHAT WORKS IF YOU SWITCH IT EVERY DAMN MONTH? Ive showed TPC some of these emails in the warehouse and he didnt realize the extent of what I was telling him about. Ive had a couple guys in the last 2 months who have been lifting for 5-10 years and by their pics it would be embarrassing to tell anyone that they actually lift. Both of these guys are sending me emails talking about iso-tension at the top of bicep curls, worrying up and down about the statics, should i flex the pinky finger inward to make more of a contraction on my alternate curl, should my forearm be perpendicular to the earths axis at the bottom of the shoulder press (you get the drift). I went off on one guy and felt bad about it after but he kept saying "well how I used to do it is..." and "well Ive always done it this way" My answer was "well why do you look like shit if your old way worked so well"? Noone will ever know who these trainees are because its my business only but I want them to read this to get it clear in their heads. If you double triple or quadruple your training weights in good safe form over the next year/s or so your basically (with diet) going to be double or triple your current muscular size. If your going to sit there and overanalyze this shit like its rocket science (which it isnt I dont care what anyone tries to make it out to be) and worry about things that really arent going to add up to pounds of muscle mass, then blame yourself when you never get there. Are you going to be a happy man at 50 years old when you look back and think "Wow I screwed up, I never looked like a bodybuilder, never achieved my goals, never got dramatically bigger, and its gone now.....IM too old to make up for that lost time" because thats where alot of you are heading if you dont get your heads on straight. I blame alot of the muscle magazines for this. Alot of articles are ghost written for pros or are solo articles by people who are 165lbs who never made a huge change in their physique themselves. They try to portray lifting weights as this huge science (and they splurge up their articles with 8 vowel words and searching thru the thesaurus to find a word that makes them look extremely intelligent)--I go back to the beggining of cycles for pennies on this---The absolute strongest you can make yourself in all exercises, coupled with food intake to eat your way up to the new musculature will allow you to hold the most muscle mass on your body that your genetics predetermine. You want to worry bout something? Worry about that damn logbook. Worry about staying uninjured in your quest. Worry about not missing any meals. Worry about somehow someway making yourself the strongest bodybuilder you can become. Im not talking singles here. Im talking 9-15 reps rest paused. A brute. A behemoth. A human forklift. I guess i had to use this post to vent because TPC saw me pissed off in the warehouse today after answering emails such as "Dante should I try to isolate the upper portion of the pec muscle and hold the peak contraction and flex hard at the top of every rep for about 5 seconds?" If you have been lifting many years with no muscle mass to show the last thing you need to worry about is peak contraction--GET THE DAMN WEIGHT UP AND BEAT THE LOGBOOK WITH BIG WEIGHT JUMPS (and then Ill and you will be happy)

  16. #15
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    DavidJohnston. Check his link. Guaranteed spammer.
    Ah, get it now! SUPERANIBOLLOCKISTIC MUSCLE MAXIMIZER. Probably built around eating the bulk of your carbs around workout and high protein/low carb the rest of the time. Maybe some of what Borge Fagerli writes about in his FREE Advanced Concept Diet (sympathetic vs para-sympathetic metabolisms) maybe a sprinkle of Intermittent Fasting. It's getting harder to sell information you can get for free these days!

Similar Threads

  1. which look do you guys prefer?
    By tdotteg in forum Members' Pics and Videos
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 04:59 PM
  2. What do you guys think of vertical jump training programs? I just started one
    By function in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 09:39 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 04:30 PM
  4. Custom-Made Shirts
    By GoldsClarendon in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 07:42 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •