The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Stalling on SS already??

I know I'm not a complete noob when it comes to lifting since I have been lifting for quite some time but its been kind of on and off because of my shoulder.. but I've been doing external rotator cuff exercises with a cable at the gym and it has improved A LOT.

Anyways, on squat, I've been stuck at about 205 for 3 reps for a few weeks and I've only been on SS for about 4-5 weeks (can't remember the exact date I started it). My other lifts are going up really slow.. I guess its because I use DB's on everything except deadlifts, rows (afraid to push my shoulder on cleans), and squats.

What should I do? Switch to Texas Method or something else or just go higher reps on squats for a couple of days?? I'm taking in at least 2.5k cals and its pretty clean so I doubt its really my diet.. but then again, I can tell I'm starting to lower my bf% but again... thats kind of a good thing. Just trying to stay around 160-170 lbs because I plan on cutting down to 11-12% bf in a couple of months for the beach lol (I'd say im around 14-15% bf atm)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

First, there aren't a lot of Starting Strength fans around here, so you might want to go to the Starting Strength forum to get some suggestions too.

Second, did you do the intial set-up as recommended in the book where you are at submax weights for at least 3-5 weeks and build slowly up?

Starting Strength typically isn't a lose bodyfat program, so I wonder if you need to eat more.

205x3 squat seems a little on the light side to go to the Texas Method.

Are you confident of your squatting technique? If not, post a video fo us to critique.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by GWilly View Post
    I'm taking in at least 2.5k cals and its pretty clean so I doubt its really my diet.. but then again, I can tell I'm starting to lower my bf% but again... thats kind of a good thing. Just trying to stay around 160-170 lbs because I plan on cutting down to 11-12% bf in a couple of months for the beach lol (I'd say im around 14-15% bf atm)
    Its normal to not see big strength increases when on a restrictive diet. Especially with SS which places a big demand on your body by squatting heavy three times a week, you will need to be in a caloric surplus to reap the best strength gains. Focus on one goal. If your goal is getting beach ready, then that is fine but you will have to be ok with slow to no strength increases.

If you think the fact that you are stalling is not because of your diet, you could always deload the movement, reducing it with a certain % of weight and building it up again. This should be done multiple times before considering to switch to a more advanced routine.

Wannabebig Member
    No I didn't do the inital startup because I figured it was kind of pointless for me since I do hard labor every day (but its slowing down a bit now since its winter)

Yeah, I am pretty confident in my squatting technique. Like I said before, I played football all through HS and my coaches really made an effort to make sure we went to parallel. I might ask a trainer friday to critique my squat to make sure I am right.

I am seeing some gains on everything except squat seems like its working backwards on me at the moment.. I'm thinking its because I'm squatting 3x a week. In the past in HS, I've seen better results/weight gains on my lifts on a crappier diet and having an upper body, legs, and back day. (bench, squat, deadlift.. + accessories)

And since I am hitting all my macros every day, my diet shouldn't really be a problem. I understand I can build muscle on maintance calories to a certain extent before I need to be in a higher calorie surplus. I mean, I am seeing noticeable gains on my chest, abs, and arms (not much, but some).. and I'm going to the beach at the beginning of July so I have some time to get bigger.. I could bulk for 2.5-3 months and cut for a couple of months but I don't know if I'm going to be cut enough to see my abs

Thanks for the replies so far tho! Thats why I love this forum

A big part of SS is to slowly build up the volume/load over time and then keep the momentum going, so if you didn't do the initial low loading weeks you'll set yourself up to stall much faster. The slow build is a key prinicple of linear progression programs like SS.

Coming in with a 205 squat for several reps, means you are in the zone where you could benefit from an linear progression program.

I'd suggest doing it the way written, or try another program that you'd be willing to follow to the T at this stage in the game.

SS is a waste of time. Skip it and you will be better for it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I was waiting for that and thought it would sound better coming from you than me.

Wannabebig Member
    Actually, he's already not doing SS, because it's impossible to stall on squats at a single weight for a "few weeks" on SS (You're either progressing, deloading, or finding a new program. Stalling for more than a week is forbidden).

This and...

Quote Originally Posted by GWilly View Post
    No I didn't do the inital startup because I figured it was kind of pointless for me since I do hard labor every day (but its slowing down a bit now since its winter)
    if you do decide to say with SS and you're not doing the inital startup and eating a surplus of calories, you're no doing the program. Either follow the program to a T, or switch it up.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Just going to parallel does not a good squat make. Post a video of your squat. Chances are you'll get much better advice from some of the accomplished lifters here on WBB than from almost any gym trainer.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 02-01-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Wannabebig Member
    What would you recommend Mr. Mason? Texas Method or?

And yes I realize I need to be in a bit more of a calorie surplus to add muscle a bit better, but I'm the smallest I've ever been in my life and I don't really want to add on a crap load of fat... since its easy for me to add on thats why I'm trying to eat pretty clean. A little over a year ago I was 220~ lbs and a size 38 in the waist.. Now I'm between 160 and 170 lbs and at a 32" waist.

Westside is superior in my opinion. With that said, what is your goal?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Westside is superior in my opinion. With that said, what is your goal?
    At the moment, I want to increase my strength as much as I can aswell as adding on as much mass as I can to help fill in what little bit of fat I have left on my chest. (my nipples stick out kind of pointy and its driving me nuts )

But I want to cut/look at least buff for the beach at the beginning of July. (So I have about 5 months).. thats why I was thinking of eating clean so its easier for me to cut later on.

For your specific goal I think you should try our HCT-12 program. You can download the PDF for free (see link above).

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks! I really appreciate the help!