Thread: If you can't touch don't blame the fukkin shirt!

If you can't touch don't blame the fukkin shirt!

OK I am posting this here because everyone on here seems to mature unlike other boards and I don't have time to waiste with bullshit trolling. I have read time and time again about guys not being able to touch in an Overkill and blaming the shirt.

First off if you can't touch in an Overkill your not going to be able to touch in any other shirt that is made with the same tightness and quality. I have used more then my share of shirts of the years and have tried brands that I never went public with in the past due to my diferent sponsorships.

Overkill shirts are made to the person that order's the shirts measurements And most generally unless you ask for a loose shirt they are going to be manly tight. So if your a pussy and can't handle a tight shirt i strongly suggest your specify that fact when you order the shirt.

If your having trouble touching there can be many reasons :
    1- your jacking the collar down way to far
    2- your technique sucks
    3- you are training with guys that are clueless about talking you through a lift
    4- your to bull headed to listen to the guys talking your through the lift
    5- your not spending enough time in the shirt

Those are just a few things that come to my mind for starters.

Regaurdless what shirt you wear you need to dial in your technique full range before you start relying on boards. Boards are a great tool for dialing in your weaknesses.

If you want it to be easy to touch wear a loose shirt. Tight shirts are harder to touch in but not impossible. I find the harder to touch in a tight shirt the more the shirt is going to perform.

Bar speed is also crucial. If you bring the bar down 9 times out of 10 the shirt is going to lock up bigger then shit. I'm not saying to suicide dive with the bar like Paul Key does with his band training. Bring the bar down as fast as possible but in a controlled manner. Drive your heals and meat the bar with your stomach. Wetting the shirt down will help some but it still requires a great deal of technique and mental toughness.

I train with guys with a great variety of exsperience and lack of exserience. Every one of them can touch in there Overkill shirt. I have guys travel from all over to train with me to learn the shirt. When they get to my gym they say they can't touch. They leave my gym after touching with weights a lot lighter then they dreamed of.

If you can't touch I suggest finding a gym with exsperienced lifters that can talk you through a lift. Big Iron talks Justin Graalfs into touching with his Overkill. Westside has Travis Bell touching with his Overkill. Detroit Barbell has Tim Hensley touching in his Overkill. Jeff Johnson and several other Michigan lifters are touching with there Overkill. Jake Prazek has a large team of guys all touching with there Overkill. These are just a few well known teams out there. Don't blame the shirt blame yourself.

Very true.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Great advice. The shirt takes more work than a rage x, but is worth it. All those tips helped me trying to touch, especially wetting it down

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    All good points.... and like I posted on the other forum, there's a lot you can do to help make the shirt easier to work if you really can't take the support of a tight Overkill.... or any other shirt.

Soak it in fabric softener over night, wash it with fabric softener, then dry on no heat. This is how I got my 3-ply to be able to touch as light as my 2-ply ( still with more support)

I like to teach the groove to a new ( to the shirt) lifter one board at a time. Each set is 2 reps, and each rep is to a lower board. So, set one the first rep is to a 3-board, rep two is to a 2.5 board.... then each set gets lower. This teaches the bar speed that Rob talks about and the small changes is ROM give more confidence than just bringing the bar as low as possible.

I thought that the lightest I could touch in my 2-ply ( at the time.... maybe late '09 or early '10) was 550. When I did Rob's bench seminar he got me to touch with 365 and hit a full range PR ( at the time) of 675... I used that same shirt through half of 2011 ( and still in training) and hit a meet PR of 705. I can still touch with 405 in the shirt, it's hard as hell and very uncomfortable to do, but I can if I need to..... just a matter of learning it.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Wannabebig Member
    Totally agree. Also, I think a lot of times people give up on their shirt too early. A good tight shirt should take a few sessions to break in before you go to your chest in it.
    750 - 500 - 615 - 1865 Total @198

870 - 570 - 665 - 2105 PRO Total @220

Overkill is the devil.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Thes are all the reasons why i have struggled wi my overkil. Im just continuing to practice and get better

I agree Rob. Most of the guys who can't touch in their Overkill just aren't being patient enough in learning the shirt

Another thing I've noticed is guys not getting their shirts seated all the way in the arm pits.

Don't jack the collar, get the arms all the way up and don't use boards. I had to be honest with myself concerning boards. I was able to move some serious weight off boards, however my technique wasn't good enough to be able to expect to bench that weight full range. So I spent more time focusing on my full range technique.

Rob is exactly right on bringing the bar down quickly. Don't waste any time. Get the bar down to your chest as fast and controlled as possible.

If you are struggling with your shirt, don't be afraid to talk to Rudy either. He's a very solid guy who spends a lot of time working on these shirts and knows how to make them work.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Your very right Travis
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #2 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    www.fuelthedesire.com THE ALPHA PROJECT
    ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Nitrean Plus, BCAA, Multi Plus, Fish Oil, ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Overkill is the devil.
    No Women are the Devil or at least thats what I am try to teach Hunter.

Wannabebig Member
    And this thread is one of the main reasons I don't spend much time at other forums. Info from guys that know what they are talking about. Thanks again, guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Don't try to make a casserole. When done by someone who knows what they are doing the casserole can be delicious, but when you can't get the ingredients right they turn to shit quickly.

I've had a 2 and 3-ply Overkill and they are by far the easiest shirts I've ever used to touch in. Once I broke it in it was easier to touch in my 3-ply Overkill than my 1-ply Katana. My 2-ply Overkill I could pretty much touch anything in without having to mess up my form to do it. I think it is the extra stretch that Overkill has. It doesn't seem to lock up as much as other shirts I've tried.
    Not really on topic, but this is something I've been curious about. Does anyone think there is a genetic component to being able to use shirts well. I have a workout partner who is about the same size as me. We have the same length arms, but my upper arm is about an inch shorter and my lower arm is about an inch longer. I've always been able to touch in pretty much any shirt and he has always had trouble despite the fact that he is much more knowledgeable and a way better bencher than I am. Anyhow it makes sense to me that arm perportions would make a difference, but I was curious if anyone else has thought of this or had similar experience.

By the way, Vinny is right; Overkill is the devil. Overkill causes addiction and is a huge source of temptation (I am totally addicted to my Overkill gear and I am always tempted to buy more despite a serious lack of funds).
    Last edited by mike95763; 01-24-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Not really on topic, but this is something I've been curious about. Does anyone think there is a genetic component to being able to use shirts well. I have a workout partner who is about the same size as me. We have the same length arms, but my upper arm is about an inch shorter and my lower arm is about an inch longer. I've always been able to touch in pretty much any shirt and he has always had trouble despite the fact that he is much more knowledgeable and a way better bencher than I am. Anyhow it makes sense to me that arm perportions would make a difference, but I was curious if anyone else has thought of this or had similar experience.
    If you are better able to maintain your form and stand the pressure you can bench more than your friend even if you have the same measurements and strength, id think

Wannabebig New Member
    I have to agree. I'm a 308/SHW lifter and I got my shirt from a 220 lifter. The sleeves are so tight my arms go numb instantly but after a few sets its good to go and I can move some good weight in it

Wannabebig Member
    Rob what is the lighest weight you ever had toutch in an overkill shirt for both 1 & 2 ply that is if you ever toutch in the gym?

Quote Originally Posted by Hogbody_308 View Post
    Rob what is the lighest weight you ever had toutch in an overkill shirt for both 1 & 2 ply that is if you ever toutch in the gym?
    Rob has touched 135 with his tightest shirt. He's my hero!

Serioulsy, it's very cool of Rob to offer his valuable advice. I am a huge fan of his. I just love busting his balls because I can.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Wannabebig Member
    Vinny you can rip on Rob becuase I think he was your date to the seinor prom...so I was told. LOL!!

Lol at the touching the 135 Vincent!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thats awesome he can touch 135 in his shirt.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #2 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    www.fuelthedesire.com THE ALPHA PROJECT
    ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Nitrean Plus, BCAA, Multi Plus, Fish Oil, ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

Vinvent loves busting my balls when their dangling on his chin...........

And back in the day I actually touched 135 with a Denim shirt thanks to Bill Crawford.

As far as What I can get touch now......... What ever I decide to load the bar to at a meet. I will touch once in a blue moon in the gym.

http://youtu.be/2MAIhFcp1ZM

Check out 2:25.... in a single ply overkill Herb Strange touches with 225 in his single ply Overkill...... at 79 years old. Hits a pr at 3:40 too......

Single ply closed back Overkills are IPF approved?

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_El_Piko View Post
    Single ply closed back Overkills are IPF approved?
    They are good in single ply competition..... but not IPF.... no way a small business could afford the IPF's equipment approval extortion.

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    They are good in single ply competition..... but not IPF.... no way a small business could afford the IPF's equipment approval extortion.
    Thanks for the info Barzeen.