Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebooting my goals- Ironman Cozumel, 1900+ total, and a lot of pain.

Rebooting my goals- Ironman Cozumel, 1900+ total, and a lot of pain.

Time to start this fresh... picking up my journal where it left off, with two major changes: I've dropped the ultramarathon. Quite honestly, I don't have the desire to run/walk for 20+ hours, I'd rather be fast. So I've opted for a full Ironman this year (in November), two of the most grueling bike races I could find on the east coast, (Blood, Sweat, and Gears, and Assault on Mount Mitchell), as well as upping my 3 lift goal to 1900.

The other thing that's changing- most supps are pure hype, but I've spent a crapload of time researching the ingredients in RESULTS. Bottom line: I'm pretty damn sure it's going to help me. Quite a bit. I'll be burning 8000+ calories a week in cardio/aerobic training, while simultaneously trying to get stronger. Anything that increases work capacity and improves recovery (the data on HMB is VERY interesting when it comes to anti-catabolic indicators) should be a tremendous help. I started it last weekend, put in a few workouts thus far. Part of what I'll track are overall indicators of overtraining, soreness, etc. I've been at this long enough to know my baseline. My hunch- it's the perfect supplement for endurance athletes as well.

Generally, some might gather from my posts that I'm the no bullshit type. I don't do a lot of crazy diet manipulation, I don't bother with most supplements, and my workout routines are fairly simple. I don't have great genetics- never have. I don't come from a long line of athletes, I have limbs that are too long for powerlifting, but too short for running and biking. Obesity runs in my family. So does laziness.

So, I got no shortage of excuses. But I got dedication, and the ego/pride that most of us has that dictates that whatever we do, we want to do it damn well.

And this is where I'm starting:

Bench press- 465 shirted for a single
    Squat- 635 in briefs, best in suit unknown (600 x 2 was easy)
    Deadlift- 645 no equipment. Bear in mind, hamstrings have been fried for the last month.

Longest training ride: 90 miles with hill repeats
    Longest run: Last marathon was almost a year ago, longest recent run has been 15 miles
    Longest swim: ~1.5 miles in the ocean
    Fastest mile: 4:45 or so
    Fastest consumption of a Dogfish 120 minute IPA- seven minutes, thirty six seconds.

Bodyweight: 224.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Recap of the last week: Getting the feel of my new Centurion, squatted 600 for an easy double (solid depth) with suit and belt (no wraps) last Thursday.

Did some brutal hill repeats (200 meters in length, 18% grade, 5 times) to cap off a 70 mile ride last Saturday.

Doing a lot more band work on bench, going to need to invest in some chains, and some boards.

Fruit punch Results tastes pretty damn good.

Krispy Kreme challenge this saturday.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

House Lannister
    Are you competing Cat 5 for those races? if so, may god have mercy on your soul.

If you can, try to get into cat 4 at the very least. Cat 5 is a crashfest, and cat 4 isn't much better.

No cat racing crap, thankfully. Not a USA cycling event that I know of- most of these big east coast rides/races (Six gap (though they have the crit), mm, BSG) are open entry, mass start.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Krispy Kreme challenge this saturday.

Im liking the changed goals. 1900 total will be pretty damn cool!

I'll be interested to see your thoughts on Results. I was sent a tub a year or two ago and to be honest I wasn't super impressed. I've been thinking about giving it another shot however.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

You're crazy. I love it. I like the fact that you throw in the different beers with your diet and workout.

We'll see, Luna, depends on whether or not my body falls apart.

Invain- That's part of what I'm curious about- the beta-alanine (spec. IM carnosine concentration data) shows an increase in repeat sub-maximum anaerobic work capacity- my thinking is that this sort of improvement will be much more noticeable in a sport where this kind of activity is more routine. (i.e.- hill climbing or sprinting for cyclists, rugby backs and football wideouts, or even more hypertrophy-focused strength training, where higher rep routines are common). As for HMB, the meta-analysis shows a fairly clear distinction between trials where a positive impact was seen and where no impact was seen... for the former, these were trials where there was an increase in overall training load, a new training stimulus, or any other situation where catabolism was markedly increased.

Overall, the emphasis seems to be anti-catabolic activity and, between beta-alanine and creatine, an overall increase in anaerobic work capacity. I'm thinking about getting a few of my friends to try it (a few avid cyclists, an ultramarathoner, a serious climber) to see if they see positive changes as well.

We'll see, of course, but I have pretty positive hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlP View Post
    You're crazy. I love it. I like the fact that you throw in the different beers with your diet and workout.
    Hey man, beer is both the cause of and the reward for my success!

Pulled yesterday on my ME lower day... Worked up to 600 x 2. Hamstrings still sore as shit from too many hill repeats. Need to fluctuate the volume there, and refocus on working my lower back. Did some SLDLs as well, 405 x 6 for a few sets.

Might need to take the next two or three weeks off pulling from the floor, give myself some time to recover and get over my mental block. Also need to work with my coach to ramp down some of the interval/sprint work.

As I've maintained, anerobic endurance work is the enemy of maximum power output.

Good luck on your goals man. Training looks intense.
    2000 or bust

Thank you sir. It is mad intense. I am currently hard at work downing a 750 ml bottle of Kasteel Cuvee de Chateau in preparation for the Krispy Kreme challenge tomorrow. Five miles, one dozen donuts. Hell yes.

Weekend update:

Friday was a rest day, and much needed. This new schedule is kicking my ass- only one day off a week.

Saturday, up bright and early for the Krispy Kreme challenge... 2.5 mile run, 12 donuts, 2.5 mile run.

http://www.krispykremechallenge.com/

Did pretty well, actually. Started way up front with my coach (she takes this event pretty seriously, which is awesome). We went out at about a 6:30 pace for the first 2.5 miles... she got into the KK a bit before me. I took down the 12 donuts in about 4-5 minutes, then on the way out grabbed another one from an eight year old spectator who probably thought he was being funny offering them to people coming out from the store. Yeah, real funny, kid. Bet you thought you'd have all dozen for later. HA! Anyway. Maintained a 7:30 on the 2.5 miles back, but more importantly, didn't puke.

Overall, averaging a 7 minute pace for 5 miles is pretty good for me. Actually, it's very good, since most of my running has been slower paced.

The kids who win this thing are mostly local UNC or NC state XC guys. Screw them.

Did about three hours of biking in crap weather, and then a DE leg workout. Did some explosive box squats, high bar oly squats, then some speed squats in briefs. Overall not bad, box squats with 365 felt like absolutely nothing- speed on the concentric was almost as good as my fast warm up sets with 135, which is what I wanted.

After a week on Results, I have to say I'm feeling pretty good. The run still surprised me- I'm curious if the beta-alanine has kicked in already. When I've used it in the past, it's been about two weeks before I noticed a real uptick in my running/DE day performance, but I'll be damned if I'm not doing a bit better than expected already.

Dear Belial,

Subbed.

You keep going, and going, and going, lol - no stopping you Alex.

Banned
    Ah, here you are. Good to see you're still posting. What are your thoughts on ETS? It seems that could be relevant to endurance athletes with high training volumes.

KK challenge is admirable.. though, you won't catch me running 2.5 miles for anything, lol..

good work in here, interested re: results. I've been wanting to give it a second chance lately as well.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Subbed? I don't get it. Substituted? Subtitled? Subdued? I'm on zero coffee...

Thanks Coke!

J.C.- it's been ages since I've taken it, and it's a good reminder, I probably should. I recall when I was marathon training for the first time I took microlactin, and had close to zero knee problems. I might pick up a bottle once the cycling seriously kicks in and give it another shot. Honestly, I wish there were more data on it- I hate to go strictly off my own experience when I'm not strictly trying to control for it.

Man, the KK challenge... yeah. It was a good time. But even a dozen KKs isn't worth 5 miles. Not at that speed. Lining up with all the cross country guys at the front made it a painful experience. Couldn't just let em all smoke me. Skinny little fucks. I should have killed and eaten them on the way for sustenance.

Definitely give you the update on results as things progress. This week I've got squats again, then some hill repeats on a local road with about an 18% grade... if I can handle those without cracking after the second (like last time), I'd say it'd be a very good sign.

Subbed? I don't get it. Substituted? Subtitled? Subdued? I'm on zero coffee...

Thanks Coke!
    Obrigado Coke!
    Last edited by FearFactory; 02-07-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Squats were pretty awesome. I'm pretty stoked, I've been running or biking every single day since last saturday, and my legs still feel fresh.

Wednesday was about an hour doing intervals on the indoor bike trainer, which is about as much fun as it sounds. No hyperbole needed.

Thursday, really broke in the suit:

Squats:

bar x lots
    135 x 10
    225 x 4
    315 x 4
    Belt from here on.
    405 x 4
    495 x 2
    Put on suit, straps down + belt
    495 x 1
    545 x 2
    585 x 2
    straps up
    625 x 2
    635 x doh. (Cut depth)

Felt very good, very easy. Good power out of the hole, smooth sailing all the way up. Still surprised my legs were so fresh.

Trap bar deadlifts:
    4 pps x 8
    5 pps x 5 x 4

Meh. Can't load this up enough to make it a challenge.

Single leg press for a few sets, windshield wipers, then a quick 3 mile run to cooldown.

Today is a rest/carb up day. After destroying my legs for almost an entire week, I'm interested to see what kind of pace I can maintain for a 50 mile bike/10 mile run.

btw, I'm taking in Results pre-workout... today I'm probably going to take it down at lunch.

Aight, let's see, weekend workouts.

Bench day- speed day. Triples with 245 and a single light band around the back. Shoulder was bothering the crap out of me, took these light, focused on keeping a tight arch and not slowing down at the halfway point. Did some light tricep work, crossovers and the like, then got out of there. Wasn't worth the pain.

Went out and hit the bike... only a 50 mile ride, but the headwind was so bad for most of the course (point to point), that roads I usually average 25mph on I was averaging... 15. Ended up at the trail, ran another four, decided at this point I needed a beer.

Sunday- Legs, DE. Deficit pulls and overhead squats.

Deficit pulls off 3" of plates:

135 x 5
    225 x 5
    315 x 3
    405 x 3
    455 x 3 x 6

Good pulling, I'm pleased that with such a long ROM these were still explosive.

Single leg press, calf raises.. was going to go for a run but bailed. It was 36 degrees out.

Monday, 4 mile run @ 7:50 pace

Tuesday, ME bench, decided to press raw.

bar x lots
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    315 x 4
    365 x 2
    405 x 1
    435 x 1
    315 x 12

Happy that these are still strong. Shoulder wasn't bothering me at all. I have no idea what's up with it.

BB rows: 315 x 10, 405 x 4, 315 x 8

Cable rows, abs, curls (YES!!!)

2.5 mile run, easy 8:30 pace to loosen up.

Banned

BB rows: 315 x 10, 405 x 4, 315 x 8
    That's some crazy rowing. I youtubed 405lbs barbell rows and there aren't many people doing decent reps with that weight. 315 x 10/8 ain't shabby either.

House Lannister
    lmao, just read the assault on mitchell route. Pepper your angus. That climbing is going to hurt.

Whatdya usually do for ab strengthening exercises? Pussy question, I know, but i'm wondering what you've found best for helping stay upright in the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    lmao, just read the assault on mitchell route. Pepper your angus. That climbing is going to hurt.

Whatdya usually do for ab strengthening exercises? Pussy question, I know, but i'm wondering what you've found best for helping stay upright in the squat.
    WTF is pepper your angus? I've seen it around here several times lately.

Curls?! Ha, I knew that was your secret to being strong!
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL