The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Did you ever run the normal westside template?
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Nope- Adapted it- currently running a modified version of it... really more just concurrent periodization. Have a feeling I need to specialize even further in the target lifts, given the overall high volume of work I'm doing.

Have the template out on excel.

Went for a 20 mile easy bike yesterday, really just went out far enough to feel warmed up and confirm everything with the equipment was good. At a hotel in Spartanburg tonight, the race goes off at 6:30 AM tomorrow morning.

This will be hellacious...ly fun.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Well good luck big guy.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Even though I don't condone these excessive bouts of cardiovascular acts, I bid you good luck sir.

Then knock that crap off and focus on powerlifting for a little while
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Good luck, Alex.

Good luck, not that you'd need it - been working hard along the way, leaving nothing to chance.

Kill it!

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

So how'd that shit go?

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    So how'd that shit go?
    ...word...

Most difficult and painful thing I have ever done in my life. I'll put up a full report tomorrow. Thanks for checking in, guys. I'm sitting here trying not to cramp. Still.

Oh, and today's workout was total shite.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Most difficult and painful thing I have ever done in my life. I'll put up a full report tomorrow. Thanks for checking in, guys. I'm sitting here trying not to cramp. Still.

At least you're still here to tell the tale. Can't believe you made it in for a workout already too, even if it was shit mad props for the dedication!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post

That work out should have consisted of
    1) eating doughnuts
    2) girlfriend bringing you more doughnuts
    3) repeat
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

House Lannister
    in 4 pics.

Alright, here's a copy of the blog post that will go up on AtLarge soon:

Well, this by far and away tops the list of the hardest things I’ve ever done… this includes multiple marathons, a half ironman, pulling 700 with a torn hamstring, and dating a girl from Long Island for the better part of three years. Nothing else has come close to the sheer level of pain that I felt on Monday.

I read once that this event should be called the Assault BY Mount Mitchell, since clearly the cyclist is doing nothing to the mountain whatsoever, whereas the mountain is certainly having its way with those fools trying to climb it.

At its heart, it’s a simple enough idea- a 104 mile ride out of Spartanburg, SC, finishing at the top of Mount Mitchell (highest peak in the US east of the Mississippi). I figured, what the heck, I have an Ironman this fall/winter, and can use the cycling experience (and a good solid training ride). This was mistake number one- this is not an event you use as a training ride after owning a bike for less than a year. The sheer number of folks who did their Ironmans FIRST should have given me pause. Still, I felt fairly confident I could complete this- I had about six 100+ mile training rides under my belt, had a few great weeks of workouts (brought my ten mile pace down to 7 minute miles, smoked 525 on the bench the previous Tuesday), so when I lined up at the start I felt great. (In hindsight, this is sort of like how your dog is all excited to get in the car when he doesn’t realize you’re actually going to the vet.)

Got moving in a fast pack off the bat- given my limited group riding experience (read: none), being in the middle of a 300 person pack was a bit harrowing, though the speed was phenomenal. We covered the first 35 miles at about a 24-25 mph average, at which point the pack began to fray at the edges and eventually break up. This is where mistake number two came in- I was caught in the middle of a split, and tried to lead a small chase group to catch the forward fifty or so riders. Kept them in sight for about 4-5 miles before I just tanked out- I was redlining it big time, and having eaten very little for the first hour (nerves at having other people’s wheels within an inch of mine- didn’t want to be fumbling with wrappers), my energy levels were NOT good.

Still being solo for the next forty miles or so let me get into my groove, pop down in the aerobars, and fuel up a bit. Ended up arriving at the base of the mountain (~78 miles) at about the 3:50 mark- not too shabby given the rest stop I took to refill bottles.

And this is where mistake number three came in- I refilled and blazed right on. I had emptied my stores a bit too much, and should have taken the extra five or ten minutes to get some more carbs into my system. I realized this when the slope shot up to a level that most recreational cyclists know as “screw that”. The temperature had gone up to over 90 degrees, and after five miles of cranking uphill, the back spasms started. I thought this might be it- I couldn’t sit, couldn’t stand, couldn’t turn side to side… I finally got off the bike and laid out flat hoping they’d stop. In a ridiculous twist of fate, my girlfriend happened to be driving by at THAT EXACT SECOND on her way to a rest stop. She saw me lying there, listened to me blabber incoherently for a second, then said “You’ll be disappointed if you quit”. That’s all it took.

The last twenty miles were a blur of pain- when you get to that point, your tank is empty, your reserves are long gone, you know the burning in your legs will go on for the next few hours, and you just have to accept that. Knowing you’re going to miss your goal time becomes irrelevant- it’s just pure survival. I got into a slow rhythm (read: slog) and ground out the last few miles, soaking in some of the spectacular views from the Blue Ridge Parkway and trying to relish the moment (or so I told myself).

Crossing that finish line was a hell of a feeling- a mixture of relief, joy, and disappointment. A full hour later than expected, but hell, I was thrilled that I was there (given how close I was to throwing in the towel)

One more cycling event to go this summer, then I can get serious about the lifting… before I have to get back in the saddle and peak for the Ironman. The good news is, the thought of an Ironman is no longer remotely intimidating. I calculated later my energy expenditure was around 8,000 calories, which I am currently returning to my system in the form of bacon, triple crème brie, and Dogfish 90 Minute IPA.

A huge thanks to Chris Mason and At Large for both Results and Nitrean+, which have been instrumental in helping me retain every single ounce of muscle (maybe even gain a few) and continue to smash PRs while putting in stupidly long hours on the bike. Another shout goes out to the Freewheelers of Spartanburg, SC, for putting on a hell of an event, and to the NC Division of Parks and Rec for making the Mitchell State Park the most beautiful places that I never, ever want to ever see again.

Oh, and guys, thanks for the support. Saw your posts before the race, I really do appreciate it.

Fun facts, btw- out of 1057 starters, only 731 finished.

Larry, man, that's kinda been my MO the rest of the week, during those moments when I don't spontaneously think "Oh, active recovery should be fun!"

Great write up, it sounds like quite the experience. There's something about doing things that others wont that makes it that much better. Keep it up, Alex. I, for one, can't wait to see what's to come.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Yeah, when you can bench press 405+, you look like that on a road bike. Solid write up, Alex.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Awesome stuff, got no quit in you man, showed great drive and determination!!

great writeup.. solid effort, congrats on finishing. Not that it really matters, but what was your placing amongst the othres that did finish?
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Big congrats on finishing that. If it was that tough on someone who trains like you do, it must be fucking insane!

Your bike pic looks like it should go on the cover of a magazine, too.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Great write up. Really enjoyed reading that. Props on a phenomenal effort, man.

Hey guys, thanks so much, glad it was entertaining as well.

Cards- Hey, you and me both... but it's time to stop being mediocre at everything and push it to the next level a bit!

Rob- Funny thing- I wasn't the biggest guy out there. As I was taking the shuttle down, there was a guy, must have been about 300 pounds, struggling up the mountain. Not muscle, mind you- this was probably a guy who'd been doing this to lose weight for years. I was in absolute awe- For a guy like that to make it that far... he was only about 5 miles from the top. Sadly, my girlfriend (who was running up there) ended up seeing him get picked up by a SAG vehicle about two miles from the top- he literally had just collapsed. Whoever he is, he's my new hero.

Coke- thanks bro!

Jake- middle third- not sure what the final results will be once they do an age group/ pro/non-pro breakdown. Kinda bummed, was in the top 100 around the 75 mile mark.

Beast- Man... Lesson learned- there is no way to train for extended climbs besides doing an extended climb. Some interesting facts and figures:

My wattage on the flats going at 21 mph- a very reasonable 215 or so- easy to maintain for six hours. (This will be what I will need to hit my speed goal at Ironman). For a 155 pound guy to do the same- 195 watts. Less, but not insanely so- my size doesn't hurt me that much on the flat given how much stronger my legs are.

On the hills, though... Mitchell had an average grade of about 7% or so. My same 215 watts would have me moving at less than 3.5 mph. To just go 6 mph (my average after cracking) I still had to generate 314 watts. So after 5 hours of riding and bonking, I still had to increase my output just to keep moving at a crawl. For a 155 pound guy, he'd only need to generate about 200 watts to move at the same speed.

So, my power output needed to increase by 50% just to keep moving, the lighter guy could maintain.

For the 5 mile stretch that broke me- it was a 10% grade. Those numbers, for both of us going at 5 mph? 235 watts for him (~10% above what he was maintaining), 360 for me. (double my flat wattage). This is why climbers tend to be so tiny. Think about the TDF- the big sprinters hang in all the flat stages easily, but even as insanely conditioned as they are, they finish HOURS back in the mountain stages.

So, in short, I have NO idea why I signed up for mountain rides!

(PS- just for fun, I got set up with a wattage meter while doing a fit. My maximum wattage- 2100- more than many track cyclists. Of course, I can't hold that nearly as long, but still... fun fact)

Tom- also, much appreciated.

btw, workouts this week were a write-off, too depleted to push it at all.

Benched on Tuesday, worked up to a 405 raw and 455 shirted for a sloppy single.

Short ride wednesday, 15 miles or so. Ouch.

Squatted yesterday, posterior chain still SHOT. Worked up to a 405 double raw, 495 double with briefs, then 585 single with suit, but had NO pop out of the bottom. Stopped it there because I knew I was leaning forward to take the load off my hamstrings and glutes. Knee was letting me know it was there, but no long lasting pain.

Finally feeling human again today.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 05-25-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Just registered for the August 25th SPF Pro-Am in Cincy. My girlfriend will be joining me too- I'll be lifting single ply @ 220, she'll be (most likely) raw in the 114, though if we can find her a bench shirt, she may do single ply as well. She's pulling over 175, and that's with a running prosthesis. If we can find her a better leg, she'll be back over 225 and hopefully able to squat properly as well.

Awesome write up Alex. Badass ya'll got signed up for the SPF in Cincy. Going to taper your training at all to peak for it?

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Definitely.

It's going to look a little something like this.

Next three weeks: Peaking for BSG (another mountain century)
    -Lifting will be focused primarily on maintaining posterior chain strength and increasing bench (cycling kills hamstring/glute power)
    -Cycling for the next week will be LSD, following week explosive/LT training, final week taper.

Following BSG, 10 weeks till SPF. First 4 weeks will be focused on rebuilding deadlift strength (Higher volume, more speed work), rehabbing knee, tapering down cycling to <80 miles per week. Following 4 weeks will be back to regular conjugate training for all four lifts, last two weeks will be deloading slightly to peak for the meet.

After SPF, 12 weeks till Ironman, which will involve reintegrating swim training, gradually ramping up running mileage, and bringing in more of a mix of LSD/LT bike training (and backing off on hill training). Lifting then will be focused on maintaining strength.