Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebooting my goals- Ironman Cozumel, 1900+ total, and a lot of pain.

No rest in here.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

House Lannister
    so did dat dere crazy pack riding spark a desire for pure bike racing yet?

Nicely done. Love that your girl happened to be driving by when you were out flat. Nothing like a little humiliation in front of a girl to motivate a guy.

the next 22 weeks of your life is more interesting than anything that's ever happened in my life, ever.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Alex I have to say that for the 8 years I've been lurking around this board that your journal has consistently been entertaining, informative and inspiring. Keep up the good work - Brandon.
    Brandon - 27 Years old BW - 205
    Just getting back into the swing of things.
    Current Goals:
    Bench - 225
    Squat - 225
    Deadlift - 315

Journal

Joey- May not look like it, but believe me there's plenty. NOBODY does lazy in his off time like I do. It's quite exemplary. I have perfected burning as few calories as possible while watching Game of Thrones reruns. It's pretty impressive, actually- the casual observer would probably doubt I was actually alive.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    so did dat dere crazy pack riding spark a desire for pure bike racing yet?
    Hell no man. It was fun, but... Look at it this way- the top ten finishers in that race all weighed less than 145 pounds. F that, man. I might be competitive in the shorter distance stuff, but all that speed work would probably kill my lifting too. I'm just content to dabble. You probably understand this perfectly, given the path you've taken.

Rileigh- no doubt! Part of me was like, really, ok, ANY OTHER MOMENT of this race and I would have looked much less like a sorry heap. But if she'd been any later, who knows what the outcome would have been. I was broken, man. Hardcore.

Cards- Nah, hey, hasn't happened yet. It COULD all wind up being totally underwhelming. I mean, anybody can register for stuff, right?

Brandon- that means a lot. Thanks, man. Does me good to know that people get something out of it.

Workouts last week were a total write-off. I did them, but had nothing in me.

This week:

Monday was off, my last fatten up and recover day.

Yesterday, back to work:

Got in my super katana- figured it was worth seeing if I was even at the point where I can get anything out of that kind of shirt. ALMOST a bust, but then wasn't.

BB bench:

bar x lots
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    315 x 6
    365 x 2
    405 x 2
    Add katana (This took longer than the previous sets combined, holy shit)
    435 x what the crap. This was all over the place. It went up, but damn. TOTALLY different groove than the F6 (which I knew)... much narrower, less forgiving. Figured I'd drop back to the F6 to do some work.
    Add F6
    435 x 1
    455 x 1
    475 x 1
    495 x 1
    (Focused on pausing at the chest here- need to really get these legal).
    Felt good, decided to give the katana another shot.
    Add katana-
    425 x 3
    475 x 1
    Smoked these. Awesome shirt, just needed to get tighter with the setup. Could have easily cranked it up well over 5 fresh, but at this point I'd done enough work sets that I was hurting.
    No shirt:
    365 x 6
    315 x 11

I did these mostly to show up the guy who was saying he needed to get a shirt and then he'd be able to press that much weight. For the record, he did 3 plates for 7 then burnt out. Suck it.

Juvenile tendencies satisfied.

BB rows:

315 x 8
    225 x 12 strict

Cable rows, face pulls, curls with the 65's, hanging leg raises, then out for a run.

Run: 3 miles
    Mile 1: 6:15 pace
    Mile 2: 7:15 pace
    Mile 3: 8:30 pace (Was meant to be 8:15. Shit)
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

House Lannister
    yea it does make you small and frail. nothing quite like it tho.

guess that's why they make motorcycles too.

And finally, how I'm structuring the rest of the season:

Long story short, for the endurance work I'll be using Verkoshansky's basic block training- it'll be a true conjugate system, but I'll be breaking up the different tri components based on priority, level of experience with each, and how they interact with lifting.

For the lifting, I'll really being doing a westside-based complex/parallel system with some modifications, including incorporating specific strength training for the endurance work.

Note, these are macro structures, individual workouts may incorporate any and all aspects of training at any given time- the guidelines below reflect emphasis.

*= denotes event month

SO:

Running blocks:
    June: Base- No training goal
    July: Block A- improve overall aerobic conditioning- LSD work, form work
    August: Block B- Increase in work/power output- incorporation of minor speed work
    September: Block B- Increase in work/power output- incorporation of significant speed work, race distance work, running specific strength training
    October: Block C- Competition distance training- incorporation of brick workouts
    *November: Block C- Competition distance training- brick workouts and taper

Notes: Able to do speed work during PL competition month, as running speed/LT work is less taxing on posterior chain than cycling speed work

Cycling blocks:
    *June: Competition- maintain form, taper for race
    July: Base- Block A- improve overall aerobic conditioning- exclusively LSD/SE work
    August: Block A- improve overall aerobic conditioning- exclusively LSD/SE work
    September: Block B- Increase in work/power output- incorporation of significant speed work, race distance work
    October: Block C- Competition distance training- incorporation of brick workouts, cycling-specific strength training

Note: Cycling has the most room for speed improvement, but has a weaker base than my running. ~1 year of cycling versus ~3.5 years of distance running, hence longer Block A time, extending through the end of August. Speed work will start immediately after PL meet.

Swimming blocks:
    June: None
    July: Block A- improve overall aerobic conditioning- exclusively LSD/SE work
    August: None
    September: Block A- improve overall aerobic conditioning- exclusively LSD/SE work
    October: Block B- Increase in work/power output- incorporation of significant speed work, race distance work

Note- swimming kills my bench, hence some very basic, low impact work in July simply to get back in the pool- the real work will not start until after August.

Lifting blocks:
    June: Complex/parallel- ME work 50% competition specific, DE work competition specific, auxiliary work on accessory lifts
    July: Complex/parallel- ME work 75% competition specific, DE work competition specific, auxiliary work on accessory lifts
    *August: Complex/parallel- ME work 100% competition specific, DE work competition specific, taper
    September: Complex/parallel- ME work 50% competition specific, DE work competition specific, running specific strength training
    *(possible)October: Complex/parallel- ME work 50% competition specific, DE work competition specific, taper
    November: Complex/parallel- ME work 25% competition specific, DE work competition specific, running specific strength training

Notes: Given I'm looking to compete equipped, I do not have the luxury of spacing out my equipped days (as I have so little time and experience with gear). Confident given my work capacity that I can iron out the issues with my form- I currently have the strength level to total elite (1825 in SPF), what will be key is making sure I don't bomb out on anything, and am 100% comfortable using all the equipment. Recovery will need to be smarter as well.

Anyway, that's it in a nutshell.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Have a good plan in the works. Now just have to put it into action.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Damn, I'm not a dumb sumbitch but my brain just exploded reading through your split breakdown. That's what I get for conversing with 1600SAT Duke grads. Buncha smart mfers.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

ha! It ain't that bad, man... it's more or less just tweaking a few of the better programs I've seen around there. Hell, could be a pile of shit idea, who knows.

I'm way behind on updates, so just a brief training overview-

Last long ride before BSG (http://bloodsweatandgears.org/) was last saturday- just an 85 miler. Legs are still not 100% after Mitchell, though getting better. The plan as far as endurance work goes is to hit a few shorter (45-60 mile) hill rides the next two weekends, stick to speed work during the week (10-15 miles @ >20 mph), and throw in 3-7 mile runs here and there to break things up and give my crotch a break.

For lifting, going higher volume on the deadlifts, for example last thursday was:

135 x 10
    225 x 5
    315 x 5
    405 x 5
    495 x 2
    535 x 2
    545 x 2
    565 x 2
    585 x 1
    600 x 1
    495 x 4

Yes, it's a lot of volume, but my deadlift is way out of practice. Going to be putting in more upper back work as well.

Had a first heavy session with the new Katana:

BB bench:

bar x 15-20
    135 x 10
    225 x 6
    315 x 4
    365 x 1
    405 x 1
    add shirt
    405 x 1
    435 x 1
    455 x 1
    475 x 1
    500 x 1

Loving it, now that I've got the groove right. 500 was faster than 475, just because I hit it in the right place.

Otherwise, nothing exceptional. Squatting on the weekends, sticking to speed work there, doing some bands+suit work to keep that groove.

That's about it for now.

You're a proper, all-round athlete, Alex.

Hate your journal, makes me want to go hide in a hole when I read everything you can do.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Nice dead volume. That's WS conjugated method correct?
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

want to buy videos of the 600 pull

"I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by krazylarry View Post
    Nice dead volume. That's WS conjugated method correct?
    Sort of... WS isn't really conjugate, despite what they may argue. Not in the classic sense, anyway. Though, who gives a shit, it works.

Gaz- ha! Thanks mate, I just try not to be a pansy, given all that broadening my horizons has done is increased the list of people who can kick my ass at my chosen sports.

Cards- man, I wish I'd videoed my 700+ deads- if only to see how my form's changed.

Wednesday was my usual 12 mile TT route- mostly flat, one decent climb, averaged my usual 22-23 mph. Not bad given there's a 180 degree turnaround on a path, a few roads to cross, and pedestrians in some areas.

Thursday, back to higher volume deads:

Deadlifts:

135 x 10
    225 x 5
    315 x 5
    405 x 5
    495 x 2
    545 x 2
    555 x 2
    575 x 2
    595 x 1
    605 x 1
    495 x 4

Yes, I'm increasing everything by 5 pounds once past a certain point. These are ADVANCED TRAINING METHODS HERE.

Accessory work consisted of good mornings, Pendlay rows (275 then 315), lateral raises, rear delt raises.

Went out for a quick run- 3.5 miles, 8:00 pace. Nothing special, just keeping some run volume here.

Friday was off.

Saturday:

BB bench:
    bar x lots
    135 x 10
    225 x 6
    275 x 3
    275 x 3
    275 x 3
    275 x 3
    245 + single light x 3
    245 + single light x 3
    245 + single light x 3

These were all VERY fast. Quite pleased.

Decided to do a few triples in each shirt to see how they felt- 405 x 3 in the F6, 405 x 3 in the katana. DEFINITELY could feel the difference- much more gradual loading with the F6 on the way to the chest, whereas the katana feels like you're hitting a wall. Definitely more power with the Katana, but harder to get that explosion out of the bottom since the chest feels so constricted.

Skullcrushers:

135 x 10
    155 x 6
    175 x 5
    135 x 10

The dudes next to me were maxing on bench at 175. We had a fairly amusing conversation.

Accessory work- some abs, crossovers.

Went out for a run:

Run- 5 miles, 8:00 pace. Fuck, hot as shit out there.
    Then went for a bike.

Bike- 14 miles, ~19 mph.

Just an easy ride hitting a few sprints to fatigue my legs.

Sunday- DE legs

Squats:
    bar x a buttload.
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    315 x 4
    365 x 3
    405 x 3
    Add suit
    495 x 3
    495 x 3
    495 + lights x 3
    495 + lights x 3
    back down to:
    405 + lights x 3
    405 + lights x 3
    405 + lights x 3

Knee is feeling MUCH better. Acceleration on the last few was excellent, felt effortless. Legs were beat, which is perfect, since I was trying to burn out before my bike.

Did some calf raises, then out for a ride.

Bike- 50 miles, ~17.5 mph hill ride.

Basically went out and after every hill I could find, including a few bitch repeats. Tried to push it on every climb to around my max HR- it worked, HR was over 180 on a few climbs, actually hit 26 mph on a steep uphill at one point, which is around 1,000-1200 watts of power. Didn't maintain it for long, but still good to know that I can generate decent power when totally tanked.

Started to feel sick after about 40 miles (the heat didn't help), body started breaking down entirely so I headed home.

Treated myself to a Deschutes The Abyss when I got back...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    These are ADVANCED TRAINING METHODS HERE
    That ain't no bullshit!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Yes, I'm increasing everything by 5 pounds once past a certain point. These are ADVANCED TRAINING METHODS HERE.
    Stop copying my methods. I was gonna publish dat shit.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Stop copying my methods. I was gonna publish dat shit.
    you both are too late, already have it copy righted and trade marked.

too slow, suckas.

Journal

Don't be laughin, I be doin that shit again tonight.

Monday was an off day. I sat on my ass.

Tuesday:

BB bench:
    bar x lots
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    315 x 6
    365 x 2
    405 x 2
    Add katana
    435 x 1
    460 x 1
    475 x 1
    475 x 1 (didn't like the last one)
    515 x 1

This was sloppy- I really didn't like that rep at all.

415 x 5

I need to break this shit in still. Yes, shit, not shirt.

Went out for a run:

3 mile w/1 timed mile.

2 mile warmup on the trail, then down to the track
    1 mile time: 4:39

This is a PR. Hell fucking yes. It hurt like a bitch.

Wednesday, I went out for a fast bike.

Bike: 13.5 miles, ~22mph average.

(My normal course with 1.5 added miles, which includes 4 dead stops, 5 technical/slow sections, and 1 bitch of a hill at the end.)

Moar deadlifts tonite!

I ran a mile and half in like....20 minutes, totally on your level.

Journal

What the fuck. That's like a 1600 meter sprint.

Big dudes shouldn't move like you. You, my friend, are the reason my use of force continuum jumps from verbal presence to deadly force very, very quickly.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

1 mile time: 4:39

Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

That is booking it. What do you think you could do if you didn't do everything else before?