The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Alex, you are really making some strides with the shirt work all things considered. You will be at 600 before we know it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Cards- Not a fair comparison to yourself there- that extra half mile is the killer.

Bako- a sprint is a graceful, powerful, fluid motion. What I did looked more like this:

Chubs, man, come on. No need. The only thing I'd ever run at with hostile intent would be the Chirba Chirba dumpling truck... bitches always seem to drive away when they see me coming, and that shit is GOOD.

Nick- not sure man. Honestly, not much faster- I need a good amount of warmup to hit my stride... if I hadn't put in some lifting and running first, I probably would have gone out too fast and tanked around lap 3, which is usually what happens.

And 600... man, I wish. That'd be solid.

Deadlifts last week were ok- you guys want to see my proprietary methods at work again?

Deadlifts:

135 x 10
    225 x 5
    315 x 5
    405 x 5
    495 x 2
    545 x 2
    555 x 2
    580 x 2
    600 x 1
    610 x 1
    495 x 4

Awesome, right? Notice the extra 5 pounds?? Clever how I do that.

I forget what other crap I did.

Friday, speed bench work with 265, some other crap. Not very exciting.

Saturday/Sunday, down at Virginia beach with my dad and grandfather for father's day.

Monday, played with squats:

Squats:

135 x 10
    225 x 6
    315 x 6
    Add belt:
    405 x 2
    455 x 1
    Add suit, straps down:
    495 x 1
    Add average bands (+160-180 at top)
    Straps up:
    495 + bands x 3
    495 + bands x 2
    Holy shit this was tough to lock out.
    Back down to just belt:
    405 x 3
    315 x 12

This did me in, more or less. Went out for a bike.

Bike- 16 miles, ~20 mph

Tuesday, bench day.

Not such a great one- feeling the constant intervals/sprint work I've been doing. It's KILLING my lifts.

BB bench:

bar x lots
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    315 x 8
    365 x 1
    405 x 1
    Add katana
    435 x 1
    475 x 1
    495 x 1

Stopped here. Just not feeling it.

Bench off chest-level pins with doubled average bands:
    bar x 10
    135 x 6
    155 x 3
    155 x 3

Not sure how much resistance that is at lockout. Quite a bit.

Cable rows, stack for a few sets of 8. Windshield wipers, out for a run.

Run- 3.5 miles, 8:30 pace. Hot as crap out.

Wednesday- Bike day

Bike- 18 miles, ~20 mph.

Last bike before the race saturday- carb loading and tapering until then. Besides deadlifts tonight, of course.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

That video analogy made me crack up, now everyone a work is staring at me weird...anyways.

I forget, you pull sumo or convientional? I'm also assuming you squat wide stance since you use gear?
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

That is a sick ass mile time. How do you recover from all this running/cycling to pull/squat so heavy?

Yeah, but are you shredded with aesthetics?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    That video analogy made me crack up, now everyone a work is staring at me weird...anyways.

I forget, you pull sumo or convientional? I'm also assuming you squat wide stance since you use gear?
    Dude, don't laugh, I was a little hefty back then.

I pull sumo, and yep, wide stance squat- feet touching the sides of the cage, usually.

FF/MC/whatevs- Poorly. I can balance it much better when my running/cycling is lower intensity- i.e. pure aerobic. Intervals and LT threshold training is what I need right now leading up to my next (last) bike race of the season, but that sort of sprint work really makes it hard to recover in time to hit heavy weights. The lower intensity distance stuff, which most folks would think is more catabolic (it IS, but more on that in a sec) doesn't tax my system as much.

Basically, the choice is: Do shorter distance, higher intensity work (better for improving LT, better at improving speed in distance events once your aerobic base is built, less catabolic to muscle, but GREATLY taxes type II fibers and CNS), or do longer distance, lower intensity work (less good at improving LT, good for maintaining strong aerobic base and improving cardiac output, developing stride efficiency, etc.).

The good thing about the long, slow work? You can force feed your way out of catabolism. Basically, even though it burns a lot of calories, if you take in a hell of a lot, overall it doesn't compromise your strength training. You CAN'T force feed your way out of soreness/depletion from interval workouts.

So if you're serious about lifting, don't do interval or short work, do slow steady low intensity work and compensate calorically. Counterintuitive, but I'm finding this to be true again and again and again.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Yeah, but are you shredded with aesthetics?
    I just got coffee in my sinuses.

High volume deadlifting, two days before a bike race? Why yes.

Deadlifts:

135 x 10
    225 x 10
    315 x 6
    405 x 2
    495 x 2
    515 x 1
    545 x 1
    585 x 1
    495 x 5
    495 x 5
    495 x 5
    495 x 4

These felt pretty good- 585 was too slow, though- I think the consistent hill workouts (and heavyish squatting on Monday) still had me feeling pretty rough. Can't wait till next week when I can relax on the cardio and get strawng again!! lolz.

Lateral raises, face pulls, then

Pendlay rows:

315 x 12
    315 x 8
    275 x 10

These were a little all over the map, kept getting distracted.

No run! No cardio at all in fact.

Started training a new client this morning- wheelchair fencer. She's pretty awesome.

Carbo loading progress in the last two hours:

1 cup oat bran
    1 cup berries
    6 mini cow tales
    1 starbucks biscotti
    1 blueberry muffin
    2 mini chocolate donuts
    1 shortbread cookie

I love/hate these days.

wtb videos

"I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post

The good thing about the long, slow work? You can force feed your way out of catabolism. Basically, even though it burns a lot of calories, if you take in a hell of a lot, overall it doesn't compromise your strength training. You CAN'T force feed your way out of soreness/depletion from interval workouts.

So if you're serious about lifting, don't do interval or short work, do slow steady low intensity work and compensate calorically. Counterintuitive, but I'm finding this to be true again and again and again.
    So are the crossfit guys fucking themselves by never stopping their metcons, even in the off season when they "strength train"? Or are the top level athletes an exception? I'm hoping they are fucking themselves, because.I want to beat them one day by training smarter than them.

Love the volume you do, obviously you've been training and active for, well... probably like decades and your workload across the board is product of this but "overtraining" is such a cop for so many people that ought to read your journal. Ohhh nooez spineeal wrektors takee xtra longgs to recovare dont doo moar than 4 sets per workouut!!!!
    Last edited by Behemoth; 06-23-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

What's your latest regard of your shoulder? Still a likelihood of having a procedure done next year or is it something you may try to work around in lieu of?

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I like the volume of that pulling. Nice job.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Carbo loading progress in the last two hours:

1 cup oat bran
    1 cup berries
    6 mini cow tales
    1 starbucks biscotti
    1 blueberry muffin
    2 mini chocolate donuts
    1 shortbread cookie

I love/hate these days.
    Nothing to hate about those yummy goodies!

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    So are the crossfit guys fucking themselves by never stopping their metcons, even in the off season when they "strength train"? Or are the top level athletes an exception? I'm hoping they are fucking themselves, because.I want to beat them one day by training smarter than them.
    Pretty much exactly, yep.

Attempting to give equal time to all types of exercise is a great way to burn out and wind up excelling in precisely none of them. Your body as a whole has limited recovery capabilities- breaking it down further, not all energy systems recover at the same speed.

To compound the difficulty, you can tax certain systems to a point without effort bleeding into others, but once past that point you begin compromising performance elsewhere. A slow fifteen mile run won't hurt me on squats the next day, but once i hit around the 20 mile mark, glycogen levels are bordering on depleted, electrolyte levels are out of whack, and type II fibers are getting completely exhausted every time I hit a small hill.... so my workout the next day is probably doomed.

The crossfit games should be thought of as a sport- as they're very willing to state, there's a huge element of unpredictability in them, which makes them closer to stick and ball sport than, they are to, say, a decathlon. Even in a decathlon, you know EXACTLY what energy systems will be taxed, and when... but note- even decathletes rotate their training over the course of the year. Most periodization schemes, including the quite excellent TRUE conjugate systems that Verkoshansky et. al. used to use, are very much about building towards the sports specific goal through rotation of training stimulus, intelligently combining different energy systems until you peak in all of them at the right moment.

Simply put- trying to train for specific strength while doing typical metcons is a great way to excel at neither- you are overtaxing your glycolytic energy pathways far too many times a week. Maximum strength will suffer, recovery will suffer, gains will be slow.

FAR better to do pure strength work during one phase of the offseason, while performing limited intensity cardio (so that one type of workout does not compromise performance in the other), then slowly begin to move both types of exercise towards the center as you approach the games.

i.e., Do 5/3/1 in the offseason, and potentially some olympic lifting form work, combined with long slow runs, then slowly reduce the number of high intensity lifting days while increase the number of days where you work on specific anaerobic conditioning.... decrease the distance on your slow runs, but slowly increase intensity... think about each individual limb's recovery, each individual energy system... and think of the goal behind each workout. Most of the top crossfit guys haven't done crossfit very long! They have a tremendous base of strength and endurance to pull from- follow their lead and build those two components individually in the offseason, THEN pull it all together before game time.

Rory- man, my best gains in deadlifts were high volume. My back was sore every workout, but damned if I didn't get stronger faster than any other way. People baby themselves too much, eh? Throw in a rest day here or there, and overtraining becomes so rare it's almost nonexistent.. certainly not for lifters. And yeah, I'm just working around the shoulder. Fuck it, who knows what will happen post-surgery, and as of now, I can sort of make it work, right?

Cards- soon!

Chubs- thanks mate, I think I paid for it yesterday though. haha.

Beast- man, no, but it actually gets tiresome. It really, really, really does. Never thought I'd say that either.

., Do 5/3/1 in the offseason, and potentially some olympic lifting form work, combined with long slow runs, then slowly reduce the number of high intensity lifting days while increase the number of days where you work on specific anaerobic conditioning.... decrease the distance on your slow runs, but slowly increase intensity... think about each individual limb's recovery, each individualenergysystem...and think of the goal behind each workout. Most of the top crossfit guys haven't done crossfit very long! They have a tremendous base of strength and endurance to pull from- follow their lead and build those two components individually in the offseason, THEN pull it all together before game time.
    Awesome. You typed out exactly what I had planned. Gives me some backing in whats running through my head. Although obviously I'm not competing for the games, but this is my strategy for hopefully doing very well in the open. Thanks Alex.

That's a damn good 1.6km time, man. I'd have to go back in time about 50lbs to find the last time I did anything close to that. Love the comparison to the hippo as well, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Awesome. You typed out exactly what I had planned. Gives me some backing in whats running through my head. Although obviously I'm not competing for the games, but this is my strategy for hopefully doing very well in the open. Thanks Alex.
    Sure thing, man. Kick their asses!

Tom- cheers, man, thanks. 50 pounds? Nah, do it now! Weight adds... uh... momentum?

Let's see... Oh, right.

So, did the second of my two mountain centuries last weekend. Definitely not quite as awful as Mitchell, but pretty rough. Won't do the full writeup here, but.. basically, was doing quite well most of the ride. Went down HARD on Snake Mountain, though (mile 62)- got out of the pedals, put too much torque on the frame, popped my chain clean off the derailleur while on an 18 percent up grade... went from about 6 mph to -1, and down I went. Handlebars bent, rear derailleur bent (lost my top gears and bottom gears- NOT good on a ride that's all steep climbs and descents), knee a little banged up. Still got to the top and completed in decent time, but climbing in middle gears HURT like a bitch.

Beautiful ride, though. 13,000 feet of cumulative climbing, 102.1 miles, ~8,000 calories burned, but endless views of the mountains from pretty ideal spots.

Anyway, now time to get back to lifting.

Next day, went in for squats:

Squats:
    bar x 10
    135 x 10
    225 x 8
    315 x 5
    405 x 3
    Add suit, straps down:
    405 x 8
    Add average bands (+180 at top), straps up
    405 x 3
    405 x 3
    405 x 3
    405 x 3
    These were very fast. Quite pleased.

Back down to raw.

Front squats, ATG:
    315 x 6
    225 x 10

These bothered my knee at 315, so stopped the set early. Going lighter didn't really help.

Legs were kind of tired at this point, so I went home.

Monday, went for a short run:

Run- 3 miles, 9:30 pace.

Tuesday, bench.

BB bench:
    bar x lots
    135 x 10
    225 x 8
    315 x 4
    365 x 1
    405 x 1
    Add katana
    425 x 1
    455 x 1
    475 x 1
    500 x 1
    SMOKED it. Heaviest I've gone in this shirt, I think. Felt stellar. Even though I was still feeling like refried shit.

BB rows:
    315 x 10
    225 x 12

Curls, windshield wipers, pike pullups, short run:

Run- 2 miles, ~9:30 mile pace.

Went home.

Wednesday: Easy short ride (HR < 110)
    10 miles, ~18mph

SO hard not to push it on my usual loop. Legs felt great, didn't even break a sweat.

That's it for now...
    Last edited by Alex.V; 06-28-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Great workouts, would love to get into cycling as a recreational thing. I always want to ask but forget too, do you train alone?

Journal

You should, man. Good times. Also a good way to get skinny.

I train all on my lonesome. Kind of sad, really. Not too many other folks at my gym into powerlifting, and not too many long distance cycling folks. (I know a lot of EXCELLENT sprint and olympic distance triathletes, who have zero interest in relatively slow 80 mile training rides. )

Rory- man, my best gains in deadlifts were high volume. My back was sore every workout, but damned if I didn't get stronger faster than any other way. People baby themselves too much, eh? Throw in a rest day here or there, and overtraining becomes so rare it's almost nonexistent.. certainly not for lifters. And yeah, I'm just working around the shoulder. Fuck it, who knows what will happen post-surgery, and as of now, I can sort of make it work, right?
    I think I'm just going to link people to your journal from now on when we get threads in the training sections asking questions like 'if i add 3 sets of curlz on my back day will i overtrain and cause my biceps to not grows nemore?' I do admit if I were to engage in the activity you do I would certainly "overtrain" in a while. But it's such a hard threshold to reach and it's not like you just wake up and are there, it's going to take months in most cases of gradually getting broken.

Anyhow, I always journal-jack with random ramblings... obligatory nice training *ass slap*. Impressed by the 315x10 rows. You don't post videos so this is a shot in the dark but I would love to see a heavy set like that for you. I'm not one from the camp who's against standing a little more upright to use more weight with them (in fact I advocate it in many instances) but I'm guessing it would probably be impressive to see the way you maneuver 3 plates rowing.

And the shoulder, as of now surgery is still a likelihood? I know the time to decide is still quite distant but man, the way you're still able to train I'd be extremely hesitant to believe anything will improve beyond your current capabilities if you do go under the knife...

Awesome stuff in here. 100 mile bike ride and a 500 bench. You may be the only person on the planet to do that.

This journal should be required reading for most athletes to learn that they can do more work, and to be smarter about and not push in all directions, which is my problem.
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I think I'm just going to link people to your journal from now on when we get threads in the training sections asking questions like 'if i add 3 sets of curlz on my back day will i overtrain and cause my biceps to not grows nemore?' I do admit if I were to engage in the activity you do I would certainly "overtrain" in a while. But it's such a hard threshold to reach and it's not like you just wake up and are there, it's going to take months in most cases of gradually getting broken.

Anyhow, I always journal-jack with random ramblings... obligatory nice training *ass slap*. Impressed by the 315x10 rows. You don't post videos so this is a shot in the dark but I would love to see a heavy set like that for you. I'm not one from the camp who's against standing a little more upright to use more weight with them (in fact I advocate it in many instances) but I'm guessing it would probably be impressive to see the way you maneuver 3 plates rowing.

And the shoulder, as of now surgery is still a likelihood? I know the time to decide is still quite distant but man, the way you're still able to train I'd be extremely hesitant to believe anything will improve beyond your current capabilities if you do go under the knife...
    That's a great point re: overtraining- it's a threshold that's slowly reached, and it's not an extra set here or there (much like it's not just an extra set of pushups that will cause rhabdo... I'm looking at you, CFers)- it's a systemic issue over time, and there are ways to manage it and even take advantage of it. Borderline overtraining/overreaching can be HUGELY useful when it comes to increasing overall work capacity- you essentially become somewhat accustomed to a lower level of performance, and when given proper recovery, the results can be astounding. In the meantime, you've managed to work on a number of different aspects of your training concurrently- perhaps more than you ever could have while giving yourself "proper" recovery.

Re: the rowing, I'm fairly certain it's not all that pretty either. I'm getting a new phone shortly with superior video capabilities- I'll likely be videoing work sets regardless to check form, I'll definitely be uploading them.

Shoulder surgery- definitely not anytime soon. You're right- getting back to this level of performance post-surgery would be a crapshoot. So really, what's the point right now? Provided I can continue to manage the issues, strengthen the joint overall, and bench heavy.. it seems to work.

Larry- hehehe, honestly, that's the goal. I'm all but certain there are still folks out there who can smoke me in both, though, so until I'm positive I can school 'em all... well, shit, probably kill myself trying. I think what you mention is the biggest lesson I'm learning- as you want to do more, you need to focus more. There's no room for extraneous work- "GPP" needs to go out the window the moment you decide you want to excel at more than one discipline- it's either SPP (specific) or nothing.

I'm slow as hell on the updates here.

Decided that my knees are still the biggest issue in my pull and squats- overcompensating for knee pain means my quads have actually forgotten how to engage like they should in the lockout, which is why my deads are suffering.

This means lots of front squats and one-legged leg press/pistol squats to get that coordination and confidence back.

Last week deadlifts:

135 x 10
    225 x 10
    315 x 6
    405 x 4
    495 x 2
    525 x 2
    545 x 3
    545 x 3
    495 x 6
    405 x 3 x 3

Working on foot positioning. Nothing too heavy here.

Did a short 3 mile run afterwards, 8:30 pace.

Saturday, DE bench:

bar x lots
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    245 x 3
    245 x 3
    245 x 3
    245 x 3
    245 x 3
    These were extremely fast. I was pretty happy.
    225 x 32

No purpose to this whatsoever.

Tried to go for a ten mile run. 104 degree heat did me in after 6. Got lightheaded, had to call it a day. Stomach was full of water, but had stopped sweating.

Sunday- squats.

135 x 10
    225 x 6
    315 x 6
    405 x 4
    Suit bottoms:
    495 x 2
    Straps up:
    545 x 1
    600 x 1
    495 x 4
    Raw:
    315 x 3
    315 x 3
    315 x 3
    Very fast sets. Felt good. Better coordination.

Some good mornings at 315, then went out for a bike.

25 miles, ~20 mph. It was HOT. Bike computer read 119 degrees out on the road. Needless to say, didn't go as far as planned.

Monday was off, Tuesday back to bench:

BB bench:

bar x lots
    135 x 10
    225 x 6
    315 x 3
    365 x 2
    405 x 2
    Add shirt
    425 x 1
    445 x 1
    475 x 1
    505 x 1
    435 x 3
    Easy. 475 was a perfect rep. This is a good opener, I think.
    Raw:
    335 x 8

Rows (forget weight), face pulls, windshield wipers, out for a short run.
    3.5 miles, ~8:00 pace.

Still hot as shit. This weather needs to break. ASAP.

Good opener as in you're doing a meet soon? Or just for maxing in the gym?
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Damn nice sessions Alex. When you gonna head down here...?

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.