Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebooting my goals- Ironman Cozumel, 1900+ total, and a lot of pain.

Funny thing is dude's name is Matt as well. Ok Alex sorry to hijack. Resume ass kicking and beer drinking.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

It's cool man, I did one of those snortlaugh things. While reading that in a meeting, no less.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Drinking some beer in honour of that bench session right now, bud.

Good stuff.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Hopefully it was a good one!

Been a mixed few days on the workout front... was originally going to run in a race last weekend, but my calf's been bothering the hell out of me, and I think I jacked it up on Thursday.

Just to recap, though...

Wednesday: 10 mile TT-style bike workout. Averaged 24 mph, fastest I've done for this particular course (which is slightly hilly and has a few spots where slowdown is inevitable... tight turns, pedestrian crossings, etc.)

Thursday: ME deadlifts

Kept this light, as I thought I'd be running on Saturday.

Deadlifts (sumo):

135 x 10
    225 x 10
    315 x 4
    405 x 4
    495 x 2
    585 x 1
    635 x 1
    495 x 3

Meh. Back was tight.

Single leg press, howevermuch x whatever.

Lateral raises, face pulls, went out for what was supposed to be an easy run.

Wasn't. Around mile 2.5 I pulled something in my calf... I have a feeling the long run on pavement last weekend is what did it. Could hardly walk. Made it back to the gym very, very slowly.

Saturday: DE bench

Bench press:
    Bar x lots
    135 x 10
    225 x 3 x 7
    Added doubled lights:
    225 (+180) x 2
    225 (+180) x 2
    225 (+180) x 2
    225 (+180) x 2

All felt pretty good. Very fast.

Skullcrushers (155 for 3 sets of 6)
    Hanging leg raises, dips (sets of 15), then went home.

Sunday: DE legs.

Squats:
    135 x 10
    225 x 6
    315 x 6
    405 x 2
    Added briefs and single light bands:
    405 (+90) x 3
    405 (+90) x 3
    405 (+90) x 3
    405 (+90) x 3
    405 (+90) x 3
    No bands, no briefs:
    315 x 12 (a few inches below parallel, just stretching out)

Good mornings with 315 for 2 sets of 6, a hell of a lot of calf stretching, then out for a bike.

Bike ride- easy pace: 103.5 miles, ~18 mph

Bonked hard around mile 100- I have a feeling my carb load was not what it should have been.

And that's that for the week.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

century rides ftw.. your work capacity blows my mind
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Sorry to hear about the calf. Your version of taking it easy seems to be skipping a half-marathon and doing a 103 mile run instead. haha.

Impressive as always with the lifting in addition to all the ironman training, keep it up!

Hey century rides ain't so bad. You literally just load up your little feed box with craploads of candy and go out and enjoy the weather. Err, and sweat a lot. Then I usually mix up a bottle of Results, a bottle of gatorade, then a bottle of salty water (squeeze in two lemons, add a teaspoon of potassium chloride, a teaspoon of salt, and throw in a few aspirin. It tastes like shit, but I'll be damned if it isn't exactly what I'm craving after a few hours out there.)

And then use the whole experience as an excuse to justify eating anything and everything you can get your hands on for the next 24 hours.

Maybe 36.

Or 48.

Anyway, Monday I sat on my ass.

Tuesday, I benched. Woo.

Bench press:

bar x lots
    135 x 10
    225 x 8
    315 x 6
    365 x 2
    405 x 1
    425 x 1
    add shirt
    435 x 1
    455 x 1
    470 x 1 (PR)
    No shirt
    335 x 6

This felt pretty damn good, went up very quickly. Wider grip than I've been using (by about half an inch on each side), definitely felt more pop out there.

BB rows:

315 x 6
    315 x 8

cable rows, bicep curls (YES), windshield wipers, then out for a quick 1 mile run (since my calf is still hurting.

Today:

12 mile bike- 8 miles steady cadence on trainer, then out for 4 miles of sprints- 0.5 miles @ 30mph, 0.5 mile recovery @ easy pace.

Was kind of fun, actually hitting more like 35-40 on the sprints later on, was playing tag with cars out on the road in my neighborhood.

Welp, glad to see you're still bat shit crazy...and alive.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Alex, what kind of shoes do you run in and are you ever susceptible shin splints? As far as running goes I have no clue what I'm doing but have always had a desire to get into it to some extent. Any recommendations as far as technique or things to work on for someone whose shins and knees seem to take a beating? Do you frequent any forums or resources pertinent to those endeavors you'd recommend?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Nice bench, the salt water tastes yummy.
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

Nice job on the bench PR!

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Alex, what kind of shoes do you run in and are you ever susceptible shin splints? As far as running goes I have no clue what I'm doing but have always had a desire to get into it to some extent. Any recommendations as far as technique or things to work on for someone whose shins and knees seem to take a beating? Do you frequent any forums or resources pertinent to those endeavors you'd recommend?
    If you have knee and shin issues, barefoot type shoes can "sometimes" help. It's different for every person and largely dependent on your technique. I've read plenty of stories of people who thought they'd never run again because of knee problems pick up a pair and have no pain at all. Reason I mention this is that I was thinking about picking up a pair myself and doing some research on them this morning. I figure that worse case scenario is that they'll make a good gym shoe. But I tend to have a mid-foot strike to begin with, so teaching myself to front strike wouldn't be too much of a stretch so I'll probably try them out a bit for running too. Where as you're starting out basically, if you started out in them you'd probably naturally just learn to use a front strike technique.

Hey, thanks guys. It felt surprisingly good- but I'm mostly pleased that my raw bench has showed no signs of suffering because of the shirt work- in fact, the break it's giving my shoulder seems to be helping it increase.

Batshit crazy- I'll take that. Though, let's be honest, my girlfriend's running her first ultra next weekend, which kinda makes me feel like the bitch in the relationship as far as endurance activities are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Alex, what kind of shoes do you run in and are you ever susceptible shin splints? As far as running goes I have no clue what I'm doing but have
    always had a desire to get into it to some extent. Any recommendations as far as technique or things to work on for someone whose shins and knees seem to take a beating? Do you frequent any forums or resources pertinent to those endeavors you'd recommend?
    Hey man, I used to have shin splint issues... two things fixed 'em though- better shoes and adjustment of running gait. I'm running in Asics Kayanos right now, and can't say enough good things about them. Used to wear Saucony hurricanes, also pretty solid, but the asics are actually better if you're still trying to use a forefoot to midfoot strike.

Adjusting my running to be more upright, focusing on a forefoot strike with the leg under me has done wonders for me- I used to have terrible, terrible knee pain, stress fractures in my ankles, and really bad shin splints. But since making these changes to form (if you feel like you're taking little mincing prancy steps, you're doing it right), it's all gone away... and my speed and efficiency has increased. Running on asphalt isn't a death sentence for my joints, either.

Still not certain I buy into barefoot running- we're certainly of a more robust bone structure (and far better fed) than our "born to run" ancestors, but many of the tips that barefoot runners endorse work pretty well, even in my clunky kayanos.

I'm not a barefoot runner by any means, but I try and utilize a lot of what they teach. Right now I'm using some New Balance MT101s. They're a trail shoe with a pretty minimalistic upper, flat soled and extremely light. I like them because NB has put a small, thin layer of protection in the ball of the foot. Really takes away the sting from loose gravel, uneven terrain.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

I picked up a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves last night. I figured even if I didn't really like them for running, they'd make a good shoe for lifting (which I needed). I wore them at the playground last night with my four year old, and wore them to the gym today. Ran a slow mile in them on the treadmill (all I had time for on my lunch) @ 10min/mile. They felt fine, noticed a bit of calf soreness on the run, but I'm pretty sure that was due to the calf raises I did 15 mins earlier more then the run itself.

Will probably get out for a little run this weekend sometime to really try them out. But so far I really like em.

edit: ps sorry for the thread derail Alex
    Last edited by Rileigh; 03-23-2012 at 12:49 PM.

No worries mate- I just wouldn't wear those for lifting. You want something with a bit more robust support; i.e. stronger material and a more solid sole. There's a reason guys wear chuck taylors to squat.

Then I usually mix up a bottle of Results, a bottle of gatorade, then a bottle of salty water (squeeze in two lemons, add a teaspoon of potassium chloride, a teaspoon of salt, and throw in a few aspirin. It tastes like shit, but I'll be damned if it isn't exactly what I'm craving after a few hours out there.)
    Just curious, why aspirin? Is it because of it's blood thinning properties or anti-inflammatory properties or something else entirely?
    Last edited by tom183; 03-23-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Call me an asshole but I wear merrell sonic gloves on squat and dead lift days, or I do it in socks. Definitely takes months to get used to running in them, I've always dead lifted and squatted barefoot. I was too poor to afford lifting shoes or a belt when I started and don't wear either now 5 years later. I have toyed with the idea of getting lifting shoes to wear when I work on my clean and jerk though.

Fwiw I run in my Merrells all the time. I weighed in at 272 today, never have joint issues any more. The barefoot running technique is great. I used to have chronic knee pain before I switched styles. That was a problem independent of weight, I used to run at 170 lbs and still had knee pains and inflamed ligaments (MRI diagnosed inflammation.)
    Last edited by dynamo; 03-23-2012 at 05:58 PM.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    ...which kinda makes me feel like the bitch in the relationship...
    Sounds about right. You win some, you lose some.
    Last edited by dynamo; 03-23-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    Call me an asshole
    asshole.

Anyway, I'd sooner lift barefoot than in glove-type shoes- glove shoes offer just enough lateral support to convince you that they're holding your feet in place, but against lateral loading they're worse than bare feet. They also won't do a thing to protect your feet against gym hazards (like heavy metal objects). But... hey, to each their own, again.

Barefoot running technique- awesome. But for those of us, again, not built like 140 pound kenyan or tarahumara ultramarathoners, the extra padding and shock absorption of a good running shoe is priceless. Much more forgiving if you suddenly hit a rock, and bear in mind our (smaller) ancestors were not running on pavement.

End soapbox.

Saturday was DE upper and a run.

Bench press:
    bar x lots
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    235 + 90 pounds band tension x 3

Great speed, feeling easier every week.

Skullcrushers:
    155 x 10
    135 x 10
    135 x 10

Machine shoulder press (plate-loaded, 155 per side), cable crossovers, hanging leg raises, then out for a run.

Trail run: 10 miles. 8 mile warm up, 1 mile fast, 1 mile cooldown.
    (9:00 pace for the warm up and cooldown, 6:00 pace for the fast mile)

I realize these days it takes me at least an hour of running to feel remotely warmed up... it's not really until the ten mile mark that I really hit my stride. too bad it was so bloody humid, or I would have doubled that distance. Also still nursing my calf.

Sunday was DE lower

Deadlifts:
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    315 x 10
    405 x 3
    405 x 3
    405 x 3
    405 x 3
    405 x 3
    315 x 12

I know, too much volume. Hamstrings are feeling tight, though, and this actually did a LOT to loosen them up. Needed this- my sumo's been suffering because of this reduction in flexibility- hips are so stretched that I can't generate any power. Just need more warming up, apparently- the last triple just flew up, same speed as when I'd do phantom pulls with no weight.

SLDLs with 315, 3 sets of 8. Used the adductor machine for a while, stretched, did some windshield wipers, then out for a bike.

Bike- hill and sprint workout. 30 miles.
    10 mile warm up, 6 hill repeats (250 meter course @ 18% grade, 250 meter descent), 10 mile constant pace spin, then 5 miles of sprints (800 meter sprint, 800 meter cooldown)... then whatever distance back to the car.

Again, not even feeling warmed up until at least 20 miles in... it's more like 30 miles if I'm not hitting hills or sprints. Kinda sucks. But hey, worse problems to have I suppose.

Have a few more Westvleteren 12's that came in, can't wait for tonight.

this thread makes me want to go running..

but the 297lb man in the mirror scolds me for the thought..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

What are your thoughts on Results so far?
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

So we've discussed your shoe selection.

How about the bike you're using?

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    this thread makes me want to go running..

but the 297lb man in the mirror scolds me for the thought..
    You probably want to listen to him. You should always listen to 300 pound people who throw around heavy things for fun.

If you DO run, you should do a marathon. And the best part is, at your size, you wouldn't need aid stations or gels to keep your energy level up, you could just devour all the little people who are skittering around you during the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    What are your thoughts on Results so far?
    I've been pretty impressed. I vetted most of the ingredients separately last year- HMB in large enough doses (3+ grams a day) did seem to help with recovery... and more importantly, with muscle mass retention (previous years I'd lost a good amount of lower body mass while running). Thus far this year, that certainly hasn't been a problem. Beta-alanine helped my bike performance considerably- one of the things I really noticed was a decrease in recovery time post-climbs or sprints (I could recover from heavy sprints while maintaining moderate wattage, rather than having to stop and coast to let the burn subside)... Though some of this could just be an overall increase in fitness, at the three week point there was a marked uptick in repeat anaerobic work capacity. And creatine/dextrose is a no-brainer... so having it all packaged together in a form that actually goes in my bike or workout water bottle is perfect.

The way I'm seeing it, it's pretty much exactly what I need this year, given how far my recovery is being pushed. As for its application to the pure strength athlete, I'd say anything that DOES improve the body's ability to recover from higher volume workouts and reduces fatigue during repeat bouts of anaerobic activity is probably a winner... but I doubt I would have seen much of a difference with my previous low-volume lifting in the past. (This is also due to the fact that I was about twenty pounds heavier and not concerned with weight gain- honestly, given how much I was eating and sleeping, while only lifting for about 2 total hours per week, I was a bit slack).

So the way I'd break it down:

Utility to casual powerlifters: Low
    Beginner powerlifters: Medium
    Advanced/elite powerlifters: High
    Casual bodybuilder types: Low
    Competitive bodybuilder types: Medium
    Strongman types: High
    Crossfit types: High
    Pure endurance types: High

Quote Originally Posted by Rileigh View Post
    So we've discussed your shoe selection.

How about the bike you're using?
    Trek 1.5 alpha, which is a good entry-level bike. Figured I'd build it up as needed, just wanted something robust and versatile... and didn't see the point in dropping a few thousand extra to drop two pounds off the bike when I'm weighing well over 220.

Profile design clip on aerobars (Not a full tri config- a few road races don't allow that)
    Shimano Tiagra derailleurs and 10 speed cassette
    Compact crank (I think it's 50/34- might go for a triple for these mountain races)
    Aluminum frame, carbon fork
    And a big ol' frickin engine.

PS- yesterday was a short run: 3 miles @ 6:50 pace. Felt pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Trek 1.5 alpha, which is a good entry-level bike. Figured I'd build it up as needed, just wanted something robust and versatile... and didn't see the point in dropping a few thousand extra to drop two pounds off the bike when I'm weighing well over 220.

Profile design clip on aerobars (Not a full tri config- a few road races don't allow that)
    Shimano Tiagra derailleurs and 10 speed cassette
    Compact crank (I think it's 50/34- might go for a triple for these mountain races)
    Aluminum frame, carbon fork
    And a big ol' frickin engine.

PS- yesterday was a short run: 3 miles @ 6:50 pace. Felt pretty good.
    Cool, I'm actually planning to get a new bike in the next little while. Right now I just have an old mountain bike that I've been upgrading as I go. I've never taken an actual road bike out before, but right now I'm thinking it may be time to take the plunge.

The bike shop here carries all Trek stuff. And I was originally looking for something around the low 1000's price point, thinking along the lines that you are. In your opinion, for someone that will likely attempt a triathlon in the next 2-3 years, would it be better to do that, or just spend the extra 800$ and go to the speed concept 2.5? When it comes to bike road racing I'm virtually completely ignorant. Would a bike like that not be allowed in all other road racing? Or is it just a few here and there that do not allow them?