Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebooting my goals- Ironman Cozumel, 1900+ total, and a lot of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rileigh View Post
    Cool, I'm actually planning to get a new bike in the next little while. Right now I just have an old mountain bike that I've been upgrading as I go. I've never taken an actual road bike out before, but right now I'm thinking it may be time to take the plunge.

The bike shop here carries all Trek stuff. And I was originally looking for something around the low 1000's price point, thinking along the lines that you are. In your opinion, for someone that will likely attempt a triathlon in the next 2-3 years, would it be better to do that, or just spend the extra 800$ and go to the speed concept 2.5? When it comes to bike road racing I'm virtually completely ignorant. Would a bike like that not be allowed in all other road racing? Or is it just a few here and there that do not allow them?
    It's easy enough to change the handlebars and levers from a road setup (brakes and gearshift on hoods, conventional handlebars with drops) to a tri setup (brakes on bull horns, shifters on ends of aero bars)... doesn't cost much.

Main thing I'd think about would be the overall configuration. Tri bike geometry is much more geared towards riding down in the aerobars and puts more emphasis on the hamstrings, whereas road bikes are a bit more comfortable when riding upright. I personally have difficulty on tri bikes, mostly because of my build and relatively large upper body- just doesn't feel right to be bent at that angle for the entire ride.

Some road races don't allow aerobars, which is why it's easy if you have a road bike to just use the clip ons... but don't let that make your decision. Try them both out, see what's more comfortable.

Personally, for training a road bike is much more comfortable- easier to adjust position, easier on climbs, more versatile... If I bought a tri bike, I'd ride it for races and maybe 1/4 of my training.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Yesterday was a mediocre bench session- just felt very off for some reason.

BB bench:

135 x 10
    225 x 10
    315 x 10
    365 x 2
    405 x 1
    425 x 1
    275 + 90 pounds band tension x 10
    275 + 90 pounds band tension x 6

Just started feeling very weak-lethargic during that last set, decided to give myself a break.

Cable rows, windshield wipers, pull ups (legs extended in front, 90 degree angle, two sets of 20), then out for a short run.

Run: 3.5 miles, 8:00 pace.

Just feeling generally crappy. Fighting a bad cold, which isn't helping, and allergies are killing me.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Thanks Alex, that makes sense. I'll give them both a try and see how they feel. I imagine I'll come to a similar conclusion as you have regarding comfort since, while I'm sure you have some size on me (we both weigh the same) I'm still probably going to be quite a bit bigger then the average triathlete that would be using a true triathlon bike. Plus, my only goal would be just to finish.

Good stuff getting the word done despite feeling bad.

What're windshield wipers?

Also, my Bodyglide arrived today. Tried it earlier - even though I'm still sore from the other day, it makes a huge difference! Very happy - I'm hopefully gonna be chafe free on the walk!
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

How did the MRI go? When do you get the results?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileigh View Post
    Cool, I'm actually planning to get a new bike in the next little while. Right now I just have an old mountain bike that I've been upgrading as I go. I've never taken an actual road bike out before, but right now I'm thinking it may be time to take the plunge.

The bike shop here carries all Trek stuff. And I was originally looking for something around the low 1000's price point, thinking along the lines that you are. In your opinion, for someone that will likely attempt a triathlon in the next 2-3 years, would it be better to do that, or just spend the extra 800$ and go to the speed concept 2.5? When it comes to bike road racing I'm virtually completely ignorant. Would a bike like that not be allowed in all other road racing? Or is it just a few here and there that do not allow them?
    most of the time aero bars are not allowed

buy a caad9 or caad10 with rival components. save money for aero wheels at some point and a powertap.

Also, sign up with a decent local team. Get used to the ebb and flow of a group ride before even thinking of racing.

I'm not a fan of most trek stuff outside of the Madone.

-Former mediocre crit racer from the Chicago scene.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 03-28-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    buy a caad9 or caad10 with rival components. save money for aero wheels at some point and a powertap.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...is-aero-19273/

I do enjoy this kind of stuff. This experiment has some issues, but it's fairly accurate and confirms the physics.

For a 220 pound cyclist with the frontal area (and drag coefficient) of a barn door, aero wheels probably don't make a shit of difference! What's interesting is that even at moderate speeds (over about 200 RPM, or 16 mph give or take with a 750), the spokes themselves create a boundary layer that minimizes actual turbulence. The main difference should be seen when the boundary layer is broken (sudden lateral force changes or strong crosswinds), where the turbulence creates some drag.

I really think aero wheels should be the absolute LAST investment any cyclist makes.

Gazzy- windshield wipers:

And bodyglide- it's a life (and crotch and armpit) saver!

Rory- didn't get it. Honestly, it'd be a big expense for a confirmatory diagnosis, and I'm really not prepared to get surgery just yet- certainly not this season. If I were going to do surgery AFTER this season, I'd likely have to get more imaging done then to see if the tear had worsened. So, not knowing kind of sucks, but... hey, I'm managing to work with it.

Speaking of bikes- went out for a quick 10 mile ride last night, ~25 mph over rolling hills. Need some serious recovery time if I'm going to pace my girl during her ultra (and do a long ride somewhere in between).

House Lannister
    yar, i've seen studies and tests that go back and forth on the whole aero wheel thing. Regardless, a good set of race wheels are a good investment IMO past like cat 3 or so. That could mean better spokes, smoother hubs, lighter rims, etc. powertap is #1 tho.

Plus, there's a certain awesomeness to seeing a cat 5 rider decked out in pro gear when it's completely unnecessary at his level.

The frame is the one thing i usually sell short. They get trashed too often to spend a lot on them. aluminum ftw imo.

most of the time aero bars are not allowed

Also, sign up with a decent local team. Get used to the ebb and flow of a group ride before even thinking of racing.

I'm not a fan of most trek stuff outside of the Madone.

-Former mediocre crit racer from the Chicago scene.
    Awesome thanks. I'll definitely check out the cannondale's too (those seem to be the two main brands that the bike shop carries along with cervelo which seems to be a bit more high end then what I'd be needing). I was considering maybe doing a charity ride that occurs around here later in the summer should all go well - just to get me started.

Alex, do you ever do any short sprint style bike races? I've thought about doing something that isn't so long distance but don't really even know where to begin. There's that coupled with the fact that I have no clue what is or is not a good bike and the realization that I don't have the cash to dump $1K on a hobby.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Alex, do you ever do any short sprint style bike races? I've thought about doing something that isn't so long distance but don't really even know where to begin. There's that coupled with the fact that I have no clue what is or is not a good bike and the realization that I don't have the cash to dump $1K on a hobby.
    Alex I'ma threadjack for a min....

Racing is incredibly expensive. Even if you build up your own bike, which is not usually cheaper but usually results in a better rig for the money, you are looking at probably $1,800 to $2,500 for a race rig these days, more or less depending on who you know and how fancy you get.

1K doesn't really buy much of anything substantial anymore. You can get a good beginner bike for 1k as I did, but if you have any intention to race it won't be money well spent. My "race" rig that I bought after a year of putzing around on a cheapie bike was 2,200 and that was a steal with Dura-Ace parts and 'okay' wheels. This was back in 08.

Best bike for the money probably atm is:
    http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes...-4-rival-20059

Or something from Fuji. Like this:
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...AID=1009378349

(people hate on performance bike because it's the Walmart of LBS's, but they do have pretty good deals on quality stuff many times)

SL1's a sexy frame actually, but I'm more a fan of aluminum than carbon for crit racing. Crit racing=crashtastic usually.

You can probably find discounted CAAD9's for cheaper also. It's a big crit race favorite and very durable. Cannondale also has a good crash replacment policy which you will definitely want when you're first getting started and racing low cat.

Generally, for most racing in the US, which is crit style, you'll want some more aggressive geometry. There was a huge difference between how my Fuji road and how my Lemond rode. I generally prefer a "squirrely" or "nervous" bike as it's way more responsive. You'll see what I mean when you ride them, but there's a very noticeable difference, and it can make a decent diff during a race.

http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php is a great resource for learning more about bikes.

What I will say is that one shouldn't get too caught up in the ultra expensive rigs. They are very fun to ride and are awesome, but they don't mean shit in a race unless you're climbing heavily (you're not). A good aluminum bike at 16-17 pounds race trim with Sram Rival or Shimano Ultrega is plenty good enough. If I could go back I would've built my own rig after my first bike and gone real cheap on the frame and just had nice components.

/threadjack
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 03-29-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Ha! Look at this cardio journal.

I'm gonna counter and say I take the same approach to bikes as to lifting. What the crap do you need to spend more than $1k on an entry level bike for unless you're racing for money. The difference in performance for the average dude on these boards will be negligible. In fact, for 95% of people out there on $3k plus bikes, the difference is a fucking waste. There is so much room for improvement on simple physical fitness measures that you'll never even hit the potential of a base, entry-level rig. None of us here are cyclists who can average 30mph for a 1 hour crit, so why bother with the funds unless it becomes your passion.

Chubs, how serious do you want to get man? On my old Trek I'm smoking guys who've been cycling for years and have $6,000 bikes, and I gotta say, that 4% advantage that their gear is giving them means jack shit. There are also guys out there that, if they're gonna drop me, they're gonna drop me. I'd need to lose 50 pounds and give up powerlifting to compete with them. There's a big chasm between me (recreational, tri-sport type) and the guys out there trying to win points in a race. It'd take you years to bridge that gap even if you start training now, so I'd get a $1000-1500 bike, see if you find yourself in love with the sport, and go from there. It's easy to get gear crazy, but for crap's sake NOBODY will be able to tell the difference between their tiagra and versus ultegra derailleurs or SRAM cassette versus a frickin shimano 105 if they've only been riding a year.

I haven't been riding long, but I've worked with and around triathletes, cyclists, and other endurance types for close to a decade, and I gotta say... these motherfuckers seriously know how to waste money.

Chevy- again, with all due respect. Do remember you were far more intense about racing than a lot of dudes here would get, myself included. With your build at the time and performance needs, this stuff made more sense.

Sort of like powerlifting. I'm not going to spend $350 on a multi-ply bench shirt if I'm thinking about getting into the sport. The level I'd need to get to (and level I'd need to compete at) to really make that worthwhile is years away. I'll get myself an entry-level single ply shirt, learn how to use it, compete a few times, decide if I want to get balls out serious at the sport, and THEN think about dropping coin.

House Lannister
    yar we are in agreement alex. Nobody spends cash like a roadie.

fwiw, my recs are for guys interested in racing, as i thought that's what Chubs was after.

durinf race season i was like 135 at 6 feet, so weight savings, etc made a
    diff, but for rec riding most anything will do. I rode my dad's old Fuji with downtube shifters my first year, ha.

Now I want to race again. fuck.

Now I want to race again. fuck.
    Sucks how that happens, doesn't it?

135. Shit, dude.

I can tell ya I won't be getting balls out serious with it. Something more casual, and something to give me another avenue of training. Outside of the gym I'm spending most of my time on shooting sports or training at the range, as both have much more carry over to work. I've just been thinking about getting into something that allows me the opportunity to train and work on my conditioning without the added impact of consistent run work. The racing would be something added on the side when my schedule allows it and as a way to push myself into maintaining the bike work. I really have no need to drop a large amount on a bike.

Can either of you recommend a good bike to take a look at? Something light and built for road work, mainly just so I'm not stomping around looking like my little sister on a mountain bike.

I'm gonna continue this cardio thread jack. I'm looking for the same answer as you. I've kicked around the idea of trying a sprint triathlon, but have no idea where to begin looking for a bike. Like you, I have no desire to be a professional racer, I'd like to try it out and still have something I can ride around on with my wife and kids.

I can tell ya I won't be getting balls out serious with it. Something more casual, and something to give me another avenue of training. Outside of the gym I'm spending most of my time on shooting sports or training at the range, as both have much more carry over to work. I've just been thinking about getting into something that allows me the opportunity to train and work on my conditioning without the added impact of consistent run work. The racing would be something added on the side when my schedule allows it and as a way to push myself into maintaining the bike work. I really have no need to drop a large amount on a bike.

Can either of you recommend a good bike to take a look at? Something light and built for road work, mainly just so I'm not stomping around looking like my little sister on a mountain bike.

House Lannister
    I'm partial to the CAAD lines. Excellent aluminum frame. Won't hold you back no matter what.

http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes...8-7-sora-25382

At the entry level price point, however, whatever is most comfortable to you is going to be the best bike.

Invest in a good saddle, clip-in shoes, and good bibs. good bibs will make a world of difference. Also, get your bike fit properly. That is an art in and of itself.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Sucks how that happens, doesn't it?

135. Shit, dude.
    yea man. was real small.

http://bicycleheavengeneva.com/image...age_team-3.jpg

second from left. helmet always fit funny, ha.

Cannondales are solid, I definitely looked at those.

Well, here's what I've got:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...d_1_series/1_5

Decent price, carbon fork, good components, and more importantly it's sturdy as hell.

Also looked at these:

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2012/Road/F-Series.aspx

Check out the F75 and F85. Their drivetrain components aren't the best, but it's a solid frame.

Anyway, workout:

Deadlifts:

135 x 10
    225 x 10
    315 x 6
    405 x 4
    495 x 2
    605 x 2
    645 x 1
    Off a 3" block:
    545 x 1
    495 x 2
    405 x 6

These felt good- was feeling pretty loose so upped the volume. Paying for it today, but in a good way.

BB shrugs- 405 x 10 x 2

Lateral raises with the 60's, bent-over laterals with 55's, cable face pulls, stretched out like a motherfucker. Then went for a quick run, since I'm pacing my girl on her ultra and didn't want to burn out:

Run: 3.2 miles, 8:15 pace.

Taking it easy on my calf.

Banned
    Have you always pulled sumo?

PS I have a cannondale hardtail trail. Its lots of fun. Contemplating a road bike for the summer
    Last edited by f=ma; 03-30-2012 at 12:16 PM.

The pulling looks sweet man, nice job.

I appreciate the advice on the bike. Found this on Craigslist. I need to get measured, but if it's a match for size what do you think of this:

Cannondale CAAD 9 58 Centimeter - $800
    I have barely ridden it and everything is in like new condition.
    58 Centimeter Cannondale Aluminum
    105 groupo with Ultegra rear derailler
    Mavic computer
    Carbon seat post
    Carbon Forks.

House Lannister
    The pulling looks sweet man, nice job.

I appreciate the advice on the bike. Found this on Craigslist. I need to get measured, but if it's a match for size what do you think of this:

Cannondale CAAD 9 58 Centimeter - $800
    I have barely ridden it and everything is in like new condition.
    58 Centimeter Cannondale Aluminum
    105 groupo with Ultegra rear derailler
    Mavic computer
    Carbon seat post
    Carbon Forks.
    That's pretty solid. Just make sure the 58 fits you. I was a 56 at 6 foot. 58 is a relatively big bike. IMO, I prefer to go with the smallest frame that will fit you. So, if you are in between a 56-58 (like many are), I'd go for the 56 and just get a longer stem/adjust seatpost, etc.

Ride it first, obviously.

^--That's awesome.

I like that bike, looks like a good deal. As chevy said, sizing is pretty key. At 6', I'm actually between a 58 and a 60, so a lot depends on torso length, leg length, etc. Still, chances are it'll be just right for you.

And speaking of which...

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Have you always pulled sumo?
    Yup, always pulled sumo. Pulled conventional for my first six months of lifting, and quickly realized my form on it was total crap.

Rough weekend, workout-wise. I was helping my girlfriend out with her ultra on saturday, so I ran/walked about 16 miles with a 25 pound pack of water, food, etc. Also did a speed bench workout:

BB bench:

bar x lots
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    225 + 90 pound bands x 3
    225 + 90 pound bands x 3
    225 + 90 pound bands x 3
    225 + 90 pound bands x 3
    225 + 90 pound bands x 3

Skullcrushers:

135 x 12
    155 x 10
    155 x 10

Cable crossovers (NEED MAZZIVE PECKS!), some front raises, then went home.

Sunday, started a DE leg day but had a bit of issues:

Squats:

135 x 10
    225 x 10
    315 x 6
    405 x 3
    315 + 180 pounds of bands x 5
    315 + 180 pounds of bands x 5
    315 + 180 pounds of bands x 2

Felt very good, very fast, but after those two reps felt a bit of discomfort in my right adductor. Stood up and it tightened up... I think I might have come close to straining it. Thought the better of the whole thing and decided to go out for a bike:

Bike- 60 mile warmup, 5 miles of hill repeats (lost count of number), 15 mile cooldown. Took a total of about 5 hours, which is fine (took my time on the cooldown). Felt good, 80 miles and I didn't bonk, which after 16 miles of running and a leg workout, is pretty good.

Monday, did a quick 8 mile ride to shake the legs out.

Tuesday: ME bench
    bar x lots
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    315 x 2
    365 x 1
    405 x 1
    Add shirt
    405 x 1
    435 x 1
    455 x 1
    475 x 1 (PR)
    405 x 2

Felt AWESOME. Left shoulder dipped a bit at the bottom and was a bit off center, but got back in the groove and up it went. Lockout strength is improving tremendously. No shortage of spotters, as I think nobody in my gym has seen much more than 4 plates, ever. Which is rather sad.

Cable rows, curlzzz, rotator work, ab work, then out for a run:

Run: 3.5 miles, steady 8:30 pace.

Still nursing my calf- lapsing back into a heel strike since it's tight, which I need to fix... since my PF was back this morning with a vengeance. Stretching it out today, going to try to run with my usual gait on Thursday.

That's a wrap.