The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    ...fattest...fatter...fat. WannaBeStrong's Avatar

Refeeds, frequency, and necessity

What is everyone's opinion on refeeds as the title suggests?

I generally utilize the "treat" factor where I eat 1 meal of General Tso's chicken (no rice) on Saturday, while keeping the rest of my meals strict. I am thinking that refeeding more often [and more healthy] might keep my fat loss moving at a quicker pace.

I've also seen "cycling" calories like :
    Week 1: 2500 2400 2300 2200 2100 2000 1900
    Week 2: 2400 2300 2200 2100 2000 1900 1800
    Week 3: 2300 2200 2100 2000 1900 1800 1700

I take ECA but I don't think it's enough to totally combat a slowing metabolism.

What is your opinion?
    Last edited by WannaBeStrong; 06-13-2002 at 12:31 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've switched to 2 insulin spikes a day to try and keep my metabolism up. I'm pretty sure that works great, because I can lose upto 2lbs of glycogen now in a day, eat more, and I'm hungrier (long after a potential insulin induced sugar crash).

Normally I was losing 1/2 lb a day (glycogen I believe), on less calories.

Breakfast and PW are the obvious choices. Glycogen deprived, and ready for a lot of protein.

Not a clue weather the (lowfat) refeeds help or hurt. General Tsao's chicken is probably not a good one, since it's got soo much fat. On a high insulin refeed, you'd just pack all that fat back on. Stick with just carbs / protein.

Anyone?

...fattest...fatter...fat. WannaBeStrong's Avatar
    That's a good deal of glycogen lost per day.

I've seen people discuss refeeds here before, I know others implement this.

also: Do you refeed @ maintenance or slightly above?

I have had good luck with two days at maintenance. (Till I couldn't get anywhere w/ 2,200 anymore)

The last "refeed" was more like 4 hrs. I'm sure I was under or par for the day.

A new record today 183.5, so something is different. I'm excited.

Fudo

If you lose 1lb or more after the first week I'd keep calories still and follow the exact plan again. I've been at 2000 calories / day for 5 straight weeks and have been losing 1-1.5lbs each week and the weight loss has been at least 80% fat.

Also about your refeed question. Answers vary, but I think majority says BMR+50%. Most males have a BMR of around 2000. So that means you eat 3000cals on a refeed day.

Thats probably most beneficial not only for leptine but mental reasons. Although both are sorta linked I suppose.

I think you only need 1 refeed / week for >10% bf. 2 refeeds / week for <10%.
    High high carbs, moderate protein, and as low of fat as possible.
    I'd keep each refeed within 12 hours too.
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

I wannabebig!
    can someone inform me what exactly a "refeed" is

Originally posted by ryuage
    can someone inform me what exactly a "refeed" is
    Planned overfeeding. A search on the term here should bring up plenty of info.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell