The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Weird pain

Weird pain

I can move my arm in pretty much any direction without pain, but in the mornings if I try move my shoulder downwards, I get pain in what feels like my rear delt, upper trap, and upper chest. Also sometimes get the pain if I move my arm across my body which pulls my shoulder forward.

I have no pain during any lifts and pretty much throughout the day, just most mornings when I wake up or if I wake up during the night. It's been going on for months now and not really getting any worse but I would like to fix it

Any ideas of what the issue may be or how to remedy?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig New Member
    Sounds like tendonitis. I heavily recommend you start popping NSAIDs (ibuprofen/nurofen etc) throughout the day and for several days after the pain stops.

Also, begin rotator cuff strengthening exercises with a 1kg plate. There are 3 exercises to perform (google them) and you should always be aiming for 15-20rep sets. When you do them you'll probably find the shoulder with the pain is far weaker and will making a popping noise quite a bit - it's common. Do the exercises 2-3 times daily and reduce your weights by 20% for the following week.

What does the pain feel like? Is it achy, burning, dull ache, sharp shooting? Also what is your age and did you activity level change at all recently? I am currently in a physical therapy program and would like to help those here if possible. Let me know!
    Last edited by alexspt; 01-18-2012 at 02:42 PM.
    Favorite Quote:"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness--Edward Stanley"

Bodybuilding Information, Interviews, and more: www.directlyfitness.com

Hard to offer much in the way of a diagnosis but as I've a similar issue it might help to modify your sleeping position. All this is based on an assumption that like me you tend to sleep on your front or in a hybrid front recovery position, one knee up one arm above the head under your pillow or something similar.
    It's tough to change but if you can aim to sleep on your side with a pillow thick enough to keep your head level and support your neck, your arms in a prayer position or out in front and your knees up (with a pillow in between - seem to recall you had a back issue at some point) OR sleep on your back with a slim enough pillow to allow your head to lie in line with your spine your neck supported beneath and your arms either side or anywhere not above your head.

Sounds restrictive but seeing as you spend anywhere between 6-12 hours in bed and if your position causes you issues it's worth persevering,it becomes second nature quite quickly and because you're not hurting during the night, you actually sleep better - I now often wake up in the same position I fell asleep in and pain free to boot.

If you already do all this, then I've got nothing!

Thanks for the replies all - responses below. One more thing to note is I can often feel it as I pull my traps in and down when setting up for the bench press. Just in case that helps the Internet diagnosis' haha

Quote Originally Posted by BW86 View Post
    Sounds like tendonitis. I heavily recommend you start popping NSAIDs (ibuprofen/nurofen etc) throughout the day and for several days after the pain stops.

Also, begin rotator cuff strengthening exercises with a 1kg plate. There are 3 exercises to perform (google them) and you should always be aiming for 15-20rep sets. When you do them you'll probably find the shoulder with the pain is far weaker and will making a popping noise quite a bit - it's common. Do the exercises 2-3 times daily and reduce your weights by 20% for the following week.
    Thanks BW86, I will try the ibuprofen, but I have previously done as you said with the rotator cuff exercises and it made no improvement so I don't think that's it

Quote Originally Posted by alexspt View Post
    What does the pain feel like? Is it achy, burning, dull ache, sharp shooting? Also what is your age and did you activity level change at all recently? I am currently in a physical therapy program and would like to help those here if possible. Let me know!
    I would say it's mostly sharp shooting. I'm 24 and nope activity has been the same for a couple of years now

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    Hard to offer much in the way of a diagnosis but as I've a similar issue it might help to modify your sleeping position. All this is based on an assumption that like me you tend to sleep on your front or in a hybrid front recovery position, one knee up one arm above the head under your pillow or something similar.
    It's tough to change but if you can aim to sleep on your side with a pillow thick enough to keep your head level and support your neck, your arms in a prayer position or out in front and your knees up (with a pillow in between - seem to recall you had a back issue at some point) OR sleep on your back with a slim enough pillow to allow your head to lie in line with your spine your neck supported beneath and your arms either side or anywhere not above your head.

Sounds restrictive but seeing as you spend anywhere between 6-12 hours in bed and if your position causes you issues it's worth persevering,it becomes second nature quite quickly and because you're not hurting during the night, you actually sleep better - I now often wake up in the same position I fell asleep in and pain free to boot.

If you already do all this, then I've got nothing!
    Thanks Daniel, I am glad you mentioned this as the last week or so I have been starting to think it may be related to this, as once or twice I have woken up feeling the pain and it was hurting in the position I was in which was the arm under the pillow. I will try hard to do what you have said and see if it makes a difference

What you described in your first post also sounds a lot like something I just had fixed pretty recently. I went to see a physiotherapist about it (and some other issues), and it turned out that both of my collarbones were way out of position. Once he put them back in place, it made a huge difference. He also gave me some exercises to do to prevent it, as it's related to being too internally rotated. I also sleep in much the same way as Daniel described in his post, so that could have contributed as well.

Sounds like you may be able to get it sorted with the info already here, but if not, it never hurts to see a good physiotherapist. Particularly one with a sports or athletics background.
    Age: 20 / Height: 6' 1" / Weight: 200lbs / Squat: 315lbs / Deadlift: 325lbs / Bench: 225lbs

Hangar 18 - Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Hmm... Could be related to the position that you're sleeping, or it could be that your should or back is getting cold during the night, and is freezing up, a little like a stiff neck would do.

Or, it might be none of those things!
    Customized Nutrition and Weight Training Exercises To Get You Ripped With somanabolic muscle maximizer. Get your results fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassist-Dude View Post
    What you described in your first post also sounds a lot like something I just had fixed pretty recently. I went to see a physiotherapist about it (and some other issues), and it turned out that both of my collarbones were way out of position. Once he put them back in place, it made a huge difference. He also gave me some exercises to do to prevent it, as it's related to being too internally rotated. I also sleep in much the same way as Daniel described in his post, so that could have contributed as well.

Sounds like you may be able to get it sorted with the info already here, but if not, it never hurts to see a good physiotherapist. Particularly one with a sports or athletics background.
    That is interesting, what does having your collarbone put back in place consist of? If the pain persists I will look into this - what is it called that I should mention to the doc?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJohnston View Post
    Hmm... Could be related to the position that you're sleeping, or it could be that your should or back is getting cold during the night, and is freezing up, a little like a stiff neck would do.

Or, it might be none of those things!
    Thanks for the input David but don't think that will be the case with me as I wake up too hot if anything haha

May I ask if you consider yourself a forward sloucher? Sounds like something called "Upper cross syndrome" in which you have very tight pecs,upper traps, and levator musculature with inhibited or weakened scapular stabilizers and deep neck flexors.

Solution: Start stretching pecs and traps while strengthening middle traps, rhomboids, and neck flexors.

Other possible causes of this pain may be from:
    -Rotator cuff tear
    -Impingement (Search "drop arm test" "Hawkins-Kennedy test" and "Infraspinatus test" and "painful arc sign". Perform all 3 and tell me if you get pain with any or all.

Hopefully its upper cross or impingement of the cuff and not a tear! Those are easier to fix.
    Last edited by alexspt; 01-23-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    Favorite Quote:"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness--Edward Stanley"

Quote Originally Posted by alexspt View Post
    May I ask if you consider yourself a forward sloucher? Sounds like something called "Upper cross syndrome" in which you have very tight pecs,upper traps, and levator musculature with inhibited or weakened scapular stabilizers and deep neck flexors.

Solution: Start stretching pecs and traps while strengthening middle traps, rhomboids, and neck flexors.

Other possible causes of this pain may be from:
    -Rotator cuff tear
    -Impingement (Search "drop arm test" "Hawkins-Kennedy test" and "Infraspinatus test" and "painful arc sign". Perform all 3 and tell me if you get pain with any or all.

Hopefully its upper cross or impingement of the cuff and not a tear! Those are easier to fix.
    Thanks for your input Alexspt. I tried the 4 tests and had no pain in any of them so looks like that rules out those which is good.

Also I looked into upper cross syndrome and I don't think I have that, as when I get into big typing bursts i notice i end up arching my back like a deadlift lockout, and my shoulders are back. Looks like these years of deadlifts and rowing have been doing some good haha

How do you go about strengthening your mid traps? Currently im doing rack pulls, bent over rows, chinups, wide grip pullups

I have been forcing my sleeping habbits to change and so far so good, but shoulder day today so ill see if i have any pain tomorrow morning

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it was none of that. To strengthen the mid traps is hard to do with any 'typical' weight lifting move. You DO hit it a bit with rows but not enough to be matched with the work you do to your upper traps (you want them to all stay relatively strong with no weak link). What I like to do is the simple super man exercise. You can even add weight by holding dumbbells (although you wont need much!) and performing it.

Any exercise (almost) with your arms straight overhead and pulling straight back targets the mid traps. Be creative but the supermans sure do hit home.

Wannabebig Member
    I will agree to that..it is a helpful exercise..nice one!!