The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: PL/BB Journal

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    How much protein you getting daily? I have juat been eating whatever i want based on hunger ans my results have been at least the same as when i was meticulously measuring everything.
    I've been the same thing with regards to my eatting. I do consciously force a wee-bit more down, but overall the protein sits around 250 grams at the highest.

I don't believe protein needs to be extremely high either.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Not sure if I even get 200 in these days. I haven't really worried about it in some time. If I feel weaker during workouts or look small, I eat more. If I feel like I look fat, I eat less.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

4/25/12
    I am gauging progression after the first set only like I always have. I feel it is a more accurate representation since shit can hit the fan on the 2nd and 3rd sets (rest periods not exactly the same, extremely fatigued, etc)
    I'm not in love with this. I guess the overall number is all that matters, but that 3rd set in my mind is the growth set and really squeezing one more out there was always what pumped me up
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    If I feel weaker during workouts or look small, I eat more. If I feel like I look fat, I eat less.
    Get that intuitive bullshit out of here. I want to see your diet in a spreadsheet, NOW. (Extra points if all food measurements are in metric)
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    I'm not in love with this. I guess the overall number is all that matters, but that 3rd set in my mind is the growth set and really squeezing one more out there was always what pumped me up
    I see the 2nd and 3rd sets more about going past failure more than anything. I really don't care if I get 0 or 2 reps on the 3rd set as long as my muscle was 100% failed.

Using the first set only will give me a more consistent read in the long run.

10 + 2 + 1
    12 + 1 + 0

Both 13...but that is nice progress if you are getting 2 more reps on the first set. Maybe I had a bad DB kickup on the 2nd and 3rd sets and it affected me in a bad way. If I go by the total reps, then I am dropping that movement (according to DC rules) as I had no total rep progression, even though there was good strength progression seeing as I got 2 more reps on the first set.

Really, my strategy will only apply to DB movements. If I am getting more reps on the first set on a barbell movement, my total reps will be increasing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Get that intuitive bullshit out of here. I want to see your diet in a spreadsheet, NOW. (Extra points if all food measurements are in metric)
    And measured cooked as well!

House Lannister
    hey now...

4/30/12
    Just doing traditional progression to avoid confusion.

Hammer Horizontal Press
    2 plates + 32.5PS x 10,3,2 = 15
    Progression: +10 lbs, +0 reps

Hammer Shoulder Press
    1 plate + 35PS x 12,3,2 = 17
    Progression: +20 lbs, -5 reps
    Made a big jump to get lower in the rep range

Close Grip Bench
    215 x 9, 2, 2 = 13
    Progression: + 10 lbs, -1 rep
    Skewed results because the spotter touched the bar a few times so I really don't know. It felt fucking hard...felt really heavy for 215. chest and shoulders before triceps = about a 30 lb drop.

Neutral Chins
    +35 lbs x 10,4,2 = 16
    Progression: +5 lbs, +0 reps

Chest Supported Rows
    3 plates + 10 x 10. Progression: +10 lbs, +0 reps last rep was uggggggly
    2 plates + 35 x 12. Progression: +10 lbs, +0 reps

I see the 2nd and 3rd sets more about going past failure more than anything. I really don't care if I get 0 or 2 reps on the 3rd set as long as my muscle was 100% failed.

Using the first set only will give me a more consistent read in the long run.

10 + 2 + 1
    12 + 1 + 0

Both 13...but that is nice progress if you are getting 2 more reps on the first set. Maybe I had a bad DB kickup on the 2nd and 3rd sets and it affected me in a bad way. If I go by the total reps, then I am dropping that movement (according to DC rules) as I had no total rep progression, even though there was good strength progression seeing as I got 2 more reps on the first set.

Really, my strategy will only apply to DB movements. If I am getting more reps on the first set on a barbell movement, my total reps will be increasing as well.
    I could definitely agree with this line of thought. There are weeks when I am using the same weight on a DB Press and I can just "feel" that the weight is lighter during that first part of the Rest-Pause set; therefore I'm stronger on that movement.

Regardless if I can't get more TOTAL reps, but I have gotten stronger on the movement. There are factors that can affect the 2nd and 3rd part of the set.

I'd agree with you, that if I increased the first part of the sets total # of reps, then I'd still keep the movement in the routine.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

AM weight = 220.5. WTF.

I am eating MORE and I am down 4 lbs since starting DC training 3 weeks ago. I am eating garbage too...lot of ice cream and bags of gold fish and I am leaner.

I really have come to realize that I am just not meant to be big. May as well play the hand that I was dealt. You really can't force it unless you go "on".

It's not so much whether anyone is on or off imo. All things considered, including genetics and what not, time is the biggest key of all. Keep on bro, you can make it happen regardless but not in one fell swoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    It's not so much whether anyone is on or off imo. All things considered, including genetics and what not, time is the biggest key of all. Keep on bro, you can make it happen regardless but not in one fell swoop.
    I dunno man. My body really hates being above 225 it seems. If I push the weight, even slowly over 6-7 months like I recently did to get to over 230 again, it all appears to be fat.

Not like it matters really..I will never stop lifting so I will just see where I end up.

5/2/12

Machine Preachers
    2 plates + 10 x 14,4,3 = 21
    Progression: +10 lbs, +0 reps

Pinwheels
    55's x 20, each arm
    Progression: +5 lbs, +0 reps

Horizontal Calf Press
    3 plates + 25 per x 11
    New movement

Sumo Leg Press
    5 plates + 10 per x 10. Progression: +20 lbs, +0 reps
    4 plates + 35 per x 12. Progression: +20 lbs, +0 reps

Machine Hacks
    4 plates + 25 per x 10 Progression: +20 lbs, +0 reps
    3 plates + 15 per x 20 Progression: +20 lbs, +0 reps

Pretty good day today.

Thanks Marky.

5/4/12

SHITTY WORKOUT TODAY.

DB Bench
    115's x 8,2,2 = 12
    Progression: +5 lbs(10), -3 reps
    Almost tore my rotator cuff today. I had a mishap kicking up the dbs on the 2nd set and my left arm fell to the side...if I didn't drop the DB I would have dislocated my shoulder.

I am not going under 12 reps on the 1st for DB movements anymore.

Standing Press
    130 x 8,1,1 = 10
    Just awful

Floor Press
    225 x 8,2,2 = 12
    Progression: +0 lbs, +2 reps
    At least I progressed here

Some shitty hammer strength pulldown
    Failed yet again to find another good back width movement. I have tried 4 hammer strength pulldowns and they all suck. I am just gonna do cable rows or something.

Deads
    475 x 2. Did 455 x 3 last time

Just didnt have it today...tried my drop down set and 405 didn't feel right so I shut it down.

Anyway, this upper C needs to be reworked. I am upping DB movements to min 12 reps on first set so I don't get hosed on the 2nd and 3rd RP set. I also need to eat more...I lost weight on this blast because the workouts are so intense.

Gonna do my last leg workout Sunday then take a week cruise and try to go 6 weeks next blast. I learned a lot in this first month.

I need to do a better job mixing in abs and doing my prehab work though.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 05-04-2012 at 08:50 PM.

House Lannister
    not really that bad of a day.

I think the standing shoulder press after a DB movement isn't the best move. Probably better off with a smith press or some other shit. Lotta stabilizer gets its shit rocked after flat db benching.

also, why are you kicking up your dumbbells at all on flat? I can see on incline, but i just fall back with them to start and press from a dead stop to get goin.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    not really that bad of a day.

I think the standing shoulder press after a DB movement isn't the best move. Probably better off with a smith press or some other shit. Lotta stabilizer gets its shit rocked after flat db benching.

also, why are you kicking up your dumbbells at all on flat? I can see on incline, but i just fall back with them to start and press from a dead stop to get goin.
    I kick them up Ronnie style on my knees. If I don't do this, I won't get any reps at all on my 2nd and 3rd RP set since I am starting from a dead stop. I get a mini stretch reflex on my first rep because I am already 1/3 of the way up. It doesn't work for RPing, too risky, thus higher reps I go. Ill probably start with 100's next time and work my way up. No point in rushing the weight because the highest DB in my gym is only 120.

I agree on the standing press. I am going to put standing press with hammer chest press and hammer shoulder press with db bench.

FYI, lower back feels 100% fresh right now. Means I missed my deadlifts due to leg fatigue from prior leg workout.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 05-05-2012 at 08:13 AM.

First blast done. Everything was good except my upper c, which I will correct for next blast. Going to take a week cruise...still going to train decently hard, but much lighter. Going to dial in my diet a bit more as well.

5/6/12

BB Curls
    100 x 12,5,4 = 21
    Progress: +5 lbs, +1 rep

Reverse Cable Curls
    50 x 20, each arm
    Progress: +5 lbs, same reps

Standing Calf
    330 x 11
    Progress: +15 lbs, same reps

Decline Abs
    BW x 15,5,4 = 24

Seated Leg Curls
    135 x 15,7,5 = 27
    Progress: +5lbs, same reps

Cybex Leg Press
    7 plates + 10 per x 11. Progress: +20 lbs, same reps
    5 plates + 10 per x 20 Progress: +20 lbs, same reps

Seems like it was a good learning process for you.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

House Lannister
    Yea, def need to increase the reps on the flat bench. 12-15 on first set would set you up nicely for other sets, methinks.

For DC, I really think the HS stuff is awesome for those rest-paused sets. If you don't have a partner, that is. (which I never will.)

Ryan, yes the HS stuff is very good. Barbell stuff is also great. I really don't like DBs for it because like you said, you really need to go higher reps. But I don't want to drop flat DB bench because it carries over incredibly to my BB flat bench.

Going to try to hit 6 weeks on this next blast. I am going to try a high carb diet on lifting days and a low carb, high fat diet on off days. Gonna play with that and see how it goes.

Got a physical at the DR and figured I should get blood work. Everything checked out normal....I am very healthy apparently. The only thing that sucks is my total test is low, but still in the normal range of a healthy male...

313 (whatever the unit of measurement is)

I am going to be 29 this year, so I assume this is normal.

For anyone still wondering, yes I am alive.

I just got really burnt out a few weeks ago. I regressed big time in the gym and seeing my test levels that low was just the icing on the cake for me to take a break.

I started back up again a few weeks ago, just haven't been logging and probably won't be for a while at least. Ryan, of all people, has helped me get my consistency back that I had 2 years ago when I was at my strongest. I have made some changes...

- Call it a cop out or whatever, but I FINALLY realized I will never have freakish strength levels and this has made my training so much better. This is evidenced by that fact that I took off ONE WEEK of training and my lifts all PLUMMETED. It is now 6 weeks later, and I am finally back to par. This is not really a change in training per se, but I feel my mindset is so much more healthy because I am very even keel now. I am not getting pissed at myself if I plateau and I am not getting overly excited if I hit a 5 lb PR. I am just going in the gym now, doing my absolute best for that day, and whatever result I get is the result I get. I am just accepting the cards that I was dealt from a strength/physique perspective.

-NO MORE SQUATTING, FOR GOOD! Yes, I finally gave up squats after basically a 2.5 year plateau and me having back issues 24/7. I am going hard at the hack squat machine instead and for once, my quads have actually shown improvement. I am going on 6 weeks without a squat and my back no longer hurts during the day and I have been deadlifting twice a week. My deads are still horrible compared to what I used to pull, but I am slowly working my way back up. I will *never* squat again.

-Basic routine. I dropped all the fancy rotational stuff and I just picked a handful of movements that allow consistent progression, while simultaneously keeping my injury free. I am just hammering away at these on a m/w/f upper/lower schedule. I am simply just doing one heavy set and one lighter set for everything, both to absolute failure.

Sometimes you just have to bottom out to realize what you were doing is wrong....I finally bottomed out, I just hope it is not too late to make good progression. I still have a goal to be 10% at 225 through my 30s, but I am not sure if I am gonna make it. Have 1.5 years til 30. I am 226 now, but probably 14-15%.

Decline Abs
    +25 x 9
    +15 x 10

Walking DB Lunges
    85's x 6, each leg
    70's x 6, each leg

Deads
    365 x 1
    405 x 1
    435 x 1
    465 x 1
    485 x 1, woot woot
    315 x 10

Was a confidence booster for sure. ZERO BACK PAIN. Didn't even feel it in my back at all.

Seated Calf
    3 plates + 30 x 12

Hack Squats
    4 plates + 25 x 10
    3 plates x 20

I really wanna get that dead over 530 before end of July for the meet in Lancaster. Well that is assuming they have push/pull.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 06-15-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Almost every meet had push/pull anymore it seems. Also could just do individual lifts. The entry fee is the same no matter how you slice it.

Just get under the bar!

6/20/12

Decline Abs
    +25 x 10
    +15 x 9

Walking DB Lunges
    90's x 6 each leg (12 total)
    75's x 6 each leg (12 total)

Seated Calf
    3 plates + 35 x 13

Lying Leg Curls
    110 x 15