Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PL/BB Journal

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    Ya I tried that actually, was always under recovered because heavy weight was going on my back or being pulled every leg day.
    It does make sense. I have never tried to squat/pull heavy on the same day but did experience the lower back not recovering when i split them up.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNa View Post
    It does make sense. I have never tried to squat/pull heavy on the same day but did experience the lower back not recovering when i split them up.
    That's the way it is gonna be in a meet, so may as well train that way. It never seems to take anything away from my deadlift. I pull the same fresh as I do after taking a beating on squats.

2/17/12

Bench - 5's - 285 input
    185 x 5
    215 x 5
    245 x 5
    Easy peasy

Pendlays off Pins
    225 x 10
    205 x 10
    185 x 10

Standing Military
    135 x 10 (ties pr)
    105 x 10
    75 x 10

Had to drop way down on the back down sets because the first set was a grinder on the last rep lol.

Neutral Chins
    Weighed 234
    +35 lbs x 10 (pr city)
    BW x 10
    BW x 10

Damn, my pullups have never been this strong

Close Grip Bench
    pinkies 2 fingers inside the rings
    235 x 9 (PR)
    185 x 10
    135 x 10

Damn, I went 10 more lbs on close grip than last upper day which was only 4 days ago and I hit a grinder at 225 that day. I was expecting 6-7 reps today but got 9.

My upper body progress hasn't been this good since at least 2 years ago, so I think I finally found something that works for me.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 02-17-2012 at 06:59 PM.

nice, 235 x 9 = 305 max in the calculator. I think ill go for that on the max bench day.

2/19/12

Squats - medium day
    275 x 10
    225 x 10
    185 x 10

Everything felt great for once.

GMs
    185 x 10
    135 x 10
    95 x 10

Leg Press Calf
    4 pls 5ps x 14 + 8 + 6

Incline DB Curls
    45's x 10

Squats - volume
    140 x 10
    140 x 10

Then went home...got another panic attack, fuck me. Had to take my benzo . It is getting really annoying.

House Lannister
    U belting them squats?

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    U belting them squats?
    I belt everything I do now. Only way I can recover for deadlift day. Pendlays, military press, squats, good mornings, deadlifts. All belted. I just vary the levels of tightness. Everything except the top set of squats is a loose belt. I have tried beltless training only a couple of times and all it does is make me not recover then I strain my lower back.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 02-20-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Figured I would log this since it made me happy..

Morning weight: 232 Finally broke past the 229-230 AM weight.

With 3 months to go, I am on the perfect pace to hit 242+ by May 19th. I am getting soft as shit already though....I am at the size/weight where if I get too lean, I look tiny and weak and if I gain weight, I just get soft looking because I don't have enough mass yet. Oh well, gonna have to ride it out.

2/22/12

Today was one of my best workouts since I have been training

Military Press - 5's - 175
    115 x 5
    135 x 5
    150 x 5

Pendlays off pins
    230 x 10
    205 x 10
    185 x 10

DB Bench Press
    115's x 9 (I was floored that I got 9 full reps)
    85's x 10
    65's x 10
    Lol was SMOKED after the 115 set so I dropped way down on the next 2.

Neutral Pullups
    BW was about 235-236
    +40 lbs x 10
    BW x 10
    BW x 10

One of the only exercises I feel I am gifted at naturally. Don't know how with my long ass arms, but I am just a good pullup-er.

Close Grip Bench
    245 x 6
    185 x 10
    135 x 10

Was really smoked after the DB press set, so I didn't get as many reps as I wanted to. I think fresh, I am good for 10.

I haven't made this much progress this fast since day 1 of lifting weights and my weight is going up nicely too. If my physique doesn't change this time around (and it hasn't in over a year) then I give up.

Going on vacay tomorrow so training will resume Monday or Wednesday depending on how I feel.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 02-22-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Figured I would log this since it made me happy..

Morning weight: 232 Finally broke past the 229-230 AM weight.

With 3 months to go, I am on the perfect pace to hit 242+ by May 19th. I am getting soft as shit already though....I am at the size/weight where if I get too lean, I look tiny and weak and if I gain weight, I just get soft looking because I don't have enough mass yet. Oh well, gonna have to ride it out.
    Sacrifice for the long term; good to hear. I've got some long term goals for the end of the year, and I'm debating on wasting my time holding steady for 2 months during the summer? That's 2 months of gaining, which could be a solid 10 pound swing in weight. Rather than lose 6-7 pounds, I could gain 3-4 pounds. during that period.

Choices, oh choices. Why is 242+ the goal? Wouldn't you rather have your weight gain at a respectable number as long as your strength progresses?

You are talking damn near a 1 pound weight gain per week! That's F'n crazy. Why not ratchet it down a bit? Easier competition in the 242+?

You can only get so strong at a time, so why eat yourself to fat-assed-ness? I'm sorry... errr... I mean marshmallow-soft-assed-ness.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 02-22-2012 at 07:45 PM.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Sacrifice for the long term; good to hear. I've got some long term goals for the end of the year, and I'm debating on wasting my time holding steady for 2 months during the summer? That's 2 months of gaining, which could be a solid 10 pound swing in weight. Rather than lose 6-7 pounds, I could gain 3-4 pounds. during that period.

Choices, oh choices. Why is 242+ the goal? Wouldn't you rather have your weight gain at a respectable number as long as your strength progresses?

You are talking damn near a 1 pound weight gain per week! That's F'n crazy. Why not ratchet it down a bit? Easier competition in the 242+?

You can only get so strong at a time, so why eat yourself to fat-assed-ness? I'm sorry... errr... I mean marshmallow-soft-assed-ness.
    Two reasons.

a) I am 6'5" and I am 28...I need to get size first if I ever want to look the part. Otherwise I am just going to be that "skinny tall guy who is ripped I guess". If I keep taking 12 months to gain 12 lbs like I did the last year then I will never make it. I am not getting any younger so I am throwing caution to the wind. I honestly see myself at 260 by the end of the year and I will cut back down to 225-230 and start the process over again.

b) No one who is 6'5" competes as a 220 . I will be much stronger at 242. In the grand scheme of things, I will need to be a 275er to be competitive. 242 is just a stepping stone for now.

Also, I don't really think 1 lb/week is that much, at least right now. I keep track of my body fat simply by looking at my stomach..it is the first thing to get fat on my body. Right now, my waist is exactly the same as when I was 224 a couple months ago so I am on the right track. Carb backloading seems to really help keep the fat off. I do look softer, but I think that comes with the territory of trying to gain weight as a natural lifter. The last time I was at this weight, I was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy fatter.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 02-22-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Two reasons.

a) I am 6'5" and I am 28 If I keep taking 12 months to gain 12 lbs like I did the last year then I will never make it. I am not getting any younger so I am throwing caution to the wind. I honestly see myself at 260 by the end of the year

b) In the grand scheme of things, I will need to be a 275er to be competitive. 242 is just a stepping stone for now.
    I keep track of my body fat simply by looking at my stomach..it is the first thing to get fat on my body. .
    a) 6'5", good grief. You are a tall bastard!
    b) I like how you are "throwing caution to the wind" (BTW, I still don't understand that statement)
    c) agreed that 12 pounds a year is nothing at your size. (again 6'5" you are a giant)
    d) I too am 28 and now realize my fat jumps to my waist and right on the back side of my love handles. At least 5 pounds sitting back there.
    e) 260 by the end of the year; I like it.

I'm done.

Good plan, and good explanation.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

No prob buddy, thanks for chiming in.

LuNa
    Two reasons.

a) I am 6'5" and I am 28...I need to get size first if I ever want to look the part. Otherwise I am just going to be that "skinny tall guy who is ripped I guess". If I keep taking 12 months to gain 12 lbs like I did the last year then I will never make it. I am not getting any younger so I am throwing caution to the wind. I honestly see myself at 260 by the end of the year and I will cut back down to 225-230 and start the process over again.

b) No one who is 6'5" competes as a 220 . I will be much stronger at 242. In the grand scheme of things, I will need to be a 275er to be competitive. 242 is just a stepping stone for now.

Also, I don't really think 1 lb/week is that much, at least right now. I keep track of my body fat simply by looking at my stomach..it is the first thing to get fat on my body. Right now, my waist is exactly the same as when I was 224 a couple months ago so I am on the right track. Carb backloading seems to really help keep the fat off. I do look softer, but I think that comes with the territory of trying to gain weight as a natural lifter. The last time I was at this weight, I was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy fatter.
    Exactly how i feel, at 6'2". I think a lot of the bigger guys you see around bulked up at one point in their lifting career. Im aiming for 265 before the end of the year.

Mike, question regarding macro's on the backloading protocol. I looked at the tables and i ended up with around 150-190 grams of protein for the no carb portion of the day. This is quite a bit, as you cant use high amounts of protein powder (due to insulin release) and i dont really want to carry tupperware with me. How do you go about hitting those macro's?

Luna, I don't follow the book to a T....it is really involved if you wanna go all out and do everything he says. You need 3 different types of protein powders lol.

I probably only get around 250g protein per day right now. In the past I have tried diets with up to 400g of protein and saw zero difference. I think it is way overkill, but that is just my opinion and I don't really have enough time on this current diet to really tell if 250 is enough.

This is basically what I eat every day..

The night before work I make a 3 scoop shake (using nitrean+ right now) and 6 eggs with 3 slices of cheese.

When I get to work at 9am I drink about 1/3 of that shake and I make a coffee with heavy cream and splenda.

At noon I eat my 6 eggs/cheese. (so yes, I basically skip breakfast, the sip of protein is just to make sure I don't go catabolic)

Then from noon - 5:30, which is when I leave work, I just snack on peanuts as needed. I just eat them until I am not hungry then repeat, I don't count them. I mean obviously they count toward my macros, but I don't actually count how many I consume.

Then when I get home, if it is a training day, I will have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. This isn't really part of the backloading plan, but it is something I found that keeps my carb induced panic attacks at bay.

Post workout I have 3 servings of cereal (using lucky charms lol) mixed with 2-3 cups of whole milk.

If it is a non training day, then I just eat the cereal when I get hom.

Dinner is 10-12 oz of ground beef, 1 cup of white rice (2 cups if I am starving), and marinara sauce all mixed together.

Then I have a pack of poptarts and then sleep.

I'll see if I can break down the macros in fitday for you. I probably need to make an adjustment soon because I have been sitting at 231-232 for the last several days.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 02-23-2012 at 07:22 AM.

House Lannister
    lol poptarts.

Luna, when I eat 1 cup (measured uncooked) rice for dinner, it comes out to...

4000 Cals
    165g fat
    400g carbs
    250g protein

With two cups of a rice (which is a fuck load by the way,)

165g fat
    545g carb
    258g protein

Which looks more like your typical backloading diet. I should probably be doing this one more than the other...that extra 1 cup makes a difference. Ideally, I should lower the fat to 100-120g and up the carbs to 600g but I am just not that hardcore about it...current diet is working fine. I also need veggies in there...I am just an awful, picky eater.

Doesn't seem like too many calories, I am probably gaining weight on it because I am old(er) and I sit on my ass all day.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 02-23-2012 at 07:43 AM.

LuNa
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. I thought the diet was pretty easy, dont eat carbs, train, stuff face with everything that isnt tied down. Loose fat, build muscle, stupid simple. There are so many small details though which can make or break the diet. I guess you also didnt do the prep phase. I honestly am not looking forward to trying 10 days of no carbs :/.

Luna, you don't do the prep phase if you are "density bulking" and are around 15% bodyfat or less, which I already was.

The diet, as he outlines it, is definitely NOT simple. I will probably read it again soon and make some small adjustments.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 02-23-2012 at 08:00 AM.

LuNa
    Luna, you don't do the prep phase if you are "density bulking" and are around 15% bodyfat or less, which I already was.

The diet, as he outlines it, is definitely NOT simple. I will probably read it again soon and make some small adjustments.
    Well im screwed then being at 50% :/.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNa View Post
    Well im screwed then being at 50% :/.
    What is your actual BF%? If you are over 20, I would diet down to 12% or so first then start the process over.

LuNa
    What is your actual BF%? If you are over 20, I would diet down to 12% or so first then start the process over.
    I have no clue, i can see the outline of my top 4 abs in the morning but i hold most of my fat in my lower back and legs. I am not dieting down though because the last time i did that i wasnt happy at all.

Nice work and I'm really interested in how the bulk works!

Mike to be honest at 6' 5" you need to be at 308 or SHW to really make progress PL. But, I can certainly understand why you would not want to to do that either. At 6' 1" myself I am quite content these days floating around at 230 lbs and trying to get stronger.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Mike to be honest at 6' 5" you need to be at 308 or SHW to really make progress PL. But, I can certainly understand why you would not want to to do that either. At 6' 1" myself I am quite content these days floating around at 230 lbs and trying to get stronger.
    Yeah I like my health, not like I am getting paid to do this. The strongest guys in PL are both tall 275ers though...Tuscherer is about 6'3" and Konstantin is 6'4". Both freaks though.

I think I can have a big deadlift at 275 though...and probably a good bench too. I will never be able to squat though...if I haven't figured it out in 4+ years the odds are against me figuring it out now.