Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: PL/BB Journal

I would suggest dropping the weight on the DB press and doing them for reps.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Yup, something I have considered. Flat DB press I have no problem, it is just those damn inclines and half seat shoulder presses.

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    Yup, something I have considered. Flat DB press I have no problem, it is just those damn inclines and half seat shoulder presses.
    The half seats I can see your problem, but the inclines just don't give me problems like that.

Maybe I just need to get stronger
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

House Lannister
    I'd stick with the DB movements if I were you. Raise your rep range if you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I'd stick with the DB movements if I were you. Raise your rep range if you have to.
    Just curious why you think so. I feel hammer strength movements hit the targeted muscle just as hard. 8-10 is the sweet spot for me. I really don't like the 12-15 rep range.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 04-04-2012 at 10:27 AM.

House Lannister
    Just curious why you think so. I feel hammer strength movements hit the targeted muscle just as hard. 8-10 is the sweet spot for me. I really don't like the 12-15 rep range.

For chest exercises, I don't think anything beats dumbbell pressing. I like the HS decline movement for chest, but it's not nearly as good as an incline DB press or Flat DB press.

Shoulders you could probably not do DB pressing and be fine. I just know that every dude on here with huge shoulders does DB pressing, so it's always an exercise I've used to mark my advancement.

For chest exercises, I don't think anything beats dumbbell pressing. I like the HS decline movement for chest, but it's not nearly as good as an incline DB press or Flat DB press.

Shoulders you could probably not do DB pressing and be fine. I just know that every dude on here with huge shoulders does DB pressing, so it's always an exercise I've used to mark my advancement.
    Agreed about the DB's and HS presses. I can just feel the muscle fibers breaking down when I do DB presses compared to the HS. I feel much more fiber activation from them.

DB Military presses I'm still trying to gauge how I like 'em. I just do them to have a compound delt movement in my routine. I also do it b/c I feel like a puss when I see other guys pushing up 80's, 90's, and 100's on DB mili's.

Flat DB press will always remain in my rotation, it is an amazing movement for me. I get chest growth and huge carry over to my flat bench.

I am talking about replacing db inclines,db seated shoulders only. Have you guys ever tried the HS horizontal chest press? I haven't found a movement besides flat DB bench that puts as much stress on my chest. With my history of left shoulder issues, I don't think it is worth the risk of doing the inclines/seated shoulder press.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 04-04-2012 at 02:53 PM.

House Lannister
    Flat DB press will always remain in my rotation, it is an amazing movement for me. I get chest growth and huge carry over to my flat bench.

I am talking about replacing db inclines,db seated shoulders only. Have you guys ever tried the HS horizontal chest press? I haven't found a movement besides flat DB bench that puts as much stress on my chest. With my history of left shoulder issues, I don't think it is worth the risk of doing the inclines/seated shoulder press.
    I've tried it. It wasn't bad when I used it.

I don't have shoulder issues (fucking knock on wood here), so I've never had issues with them. I've only had shoulder pain with something like a flat bb press.

I've tried it. It wasn't bad when I used it.

I don't have shoulder issues (fucking knock on wood here), so I've never had issues with them. I've only had shoulder pain with something like a flat bb press.
    Ill stick with the HS stuff for now until I have confidence in my shoulder. I still don't think muscle gain will be any different.

4/4/12

Squats
    225 x 3
    275 x 3
    315 x 1
    335 x 3
    365 x 2
    Not horrible...I didn't feel great. Lol @ my 1.5 year squat plateau. I don't even care anymore to be honest.

SLDLs
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    315 x 5
    335 x 10

Low back is feeling awesome since I switched to ten reps on all dead movements.

Seated Calf
    3 plates + 25 x 10
    3 plates + 25 x 9

Seated Leg Curl
    130 x 10
    130 x 10

Machine Hacks
    4 plates + 10ps x 10
    4 plates + 10ps x 10

Wore the oly shoes on here...made a big difference. I love my adistars.

House Lannister
    lettuce be real, you care about your squat.

No I don't care, for real. I am going to keep doing it, but I have come to realize I will never be a big squatter.

Weight is 223.4 this morning. WTF?!?

I am not even really trying and the weight is just falling off. I am barely eating less than what I ate before.

Getting big time smallophobia right now. I look like shit, flat muscles and still fat.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 04-05-2012 at 07:10 AM.

No I don't care, for real. I am going to keep doing it, but I have come to realize I will never be a big squatter.

Weight is 223.4 this morning. WTF?!?

I am not even really trying and the weight is just falling off. I am barely eating less than what I ate before.

Getting big time smallophobia right now. I look like shit, flat muscles and still fat.
    Might have just been an odd weigh-in? Have you seen any progress from the diet yet?

I like the SLDL #'s you are putting up.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Might have just been an odd weigh-in? Have you seen any progress from the diet yet?

I like the SLDL #'s you are putting up.
    Nah, it has been consistently low the whole week. I haven't been eating less either, weird.

I notice no changes anywhere except my stomach right now. It has shrunk quite a bit. I am sure I will start seeing more definition after another 10 lbs.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 04-05-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Ok I am actually concerned that I have the aids or something.

Woke up down another lb today. Need to eat more for sure.

4/6/12

Bench
    185 x 5
    225 x 3
    255 x 1, paused
    275 x 1
    275 x 3

While this is 15 lbs off what I did 3 weeks ago, I wasn't that disappointed considering my drastic weight loss and my shoulder was still not in the greatest shape from the mis kickup a week ago on incline bench. Gonna work back up off this.

Pendlays off Pins
    230 x 10
    230 x 7

DB Incline Bench
    Took your guys suggestion and dropped the weight. It felt much better kicking them up. Still awkward, but not as bad as last time. I just need practice.
    75's x 15
    75's x 9, shoulder just gave out

Neutral Chins
    +25 x 10
    +25 x 7

Close Grip Smith
    230 x 9
    230 x 5
    Last time I do smith machine, it does not feel good on my shoulder at all. Gonna do skullcrushers next time.

DB Incline Curls
    40's x 10 + 3 + 2 = 15RP

DB standing laterals
    20's x 10 + 6 + 5 = 21RP

Yup, no more pressing for my shoulder. I am getting plenty of work with the other pressing I do. I really felt these.

I am doing a mini refeed tonight. I am very depleted. Weight was down to 222 this morning, which is too drastic a loss IMO. Got a whole pint of cookies and milk ben and jerrys.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 04-06-2012 at 04:54 PM.

DB Incline CurlsYup, no more pressing for my shoulder. I am getting plenty of work with the other pressing I do. I really felt these.
    On board with that thought process. Your front delts get enough stimulation during other pressing movements.

Ryan and I were somewhat commenting about this in his journal. We talked about just sticking with DB laterals as the main stay for your shoulder workouts. Will produce more medial delt growth, aka more width, aka more bad-ass looking.

For anyone who cares, I am doing DC again.

My mindset has changed...I really just hate being in the gym lately and DC takes like 45 minutes, start to finish. I just want to get in and out and this is the best way to blast a muscle in under an hour.

I am going to experiment with a recomp/slow cut diet strategy. I am going to try eating slightly above maintenance while doing my blast. And I am going to try to eat below maintenance during a 2 week cruise.

I have no clue if it will work, but I won't know until I try it. My body seems like it might be the type that can have a successful recomp. I was barely eating under maintenance and my waist evaporated in only 3 weeks.

My actual routine will look very close to what I am already doing, but I am just rest pausing now. I am basically just changing rep schemes.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 04-11-2012 at 10:45 AM.

4/11/12

Decline Bench
    First time I have ever done these. Didn't feel much easier than regular flat. I liked it a lot.
    225 x 13,3, 2 = 18

DB Shoulder Press
    65's x 13,4,3 = 20

Skullcrushers
    105 x 13,4,3 = 20

Curl Grip Pulldowns
    195 x 13,5,3 = 21

Pendlay Rows off pins
    205 x 10
    185 x 12

In and out in 45 mins. Muscles obliterated. <3 DC.

For anyone who cares, I am doing DC again.
    Keep on with it bro, gonna get there whichever road you take.

LuNa
    Nice work Mike. How long are you planning on blasting?

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Keep on with it bro, gonna get there whichever road you take.
    Thanks Terry, too bad that road is about 10000000 miles long.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNa View Post
    Nice work Mike. How long are you planning on blasting?
    Minimum 4 week blast (I would prefer 6 as it gives me 2 chances to progress from the baselines), then I might experiment with a 2 week cruise while cutting, similar to how Layne Norton does it.

I am still trying to lean up for summer, I am just in a very slight caloric surplus during the blasts so I am hoping I can recomp during the blasts and possibly cut some fat during the cruises. Will it work? People on the internet say it won't, but sometimes you just have to see for yourself.

Always love following the DC training, so I'll be glued to this. No matter what you are doing the meet in July though.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Matt, yes I am doing the meet. I don't care where my lifts are at, I am weak so I just do them for fun anyway.

Squats/deads are both in my blast and 3 different variations of barbell bench, so I shouldn't get rusty.