Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wouldliketobelarge

Wouldliketobelarge

I've been putting off starting a journal on here forever. Made alot of excuses not to... But at this point in my training I need some support and some advice from you educated dudes. So I am starting this at a pivotal point in my career...
    So here's my current situation. I'm 180 lbs, 12-13% bodyfat(estimate). A few months back I did some sloppy(stupid) deadlifting, my form was bad, I felt bad that day, I was wearing sweatpants, and basically I "snapped some shit up". This resulted in lower back pain for months and me forcing myself to put a hold on deadlifts till things felt normal.

NEXT. A knee injury. While working building fence. I knelt to the ground to pour concrete and a jagged peace of old concrete jabbed right up under my knee cap. Ouch. So guess what? Squats get put on hold from knee pain.......So basically the past 5 months the two big boy lifts have been out of the program and I have directed all attention to my upper body. This changes NOW. I am feeling much better in both areas, and I am going to start VERY SLOWLY with these two lifts in particular. 5 months ago I was deadlifting 375, and squatting around 230.

SO. My goals. I want to be BIG and LEAN. That is all. Tomorrow is day 1 of implementing DL's. I hope I can get some feedback/encouragement from you fine people. Also will be uploading pictures for some advice and opinions. But I'm thinking for diet at this point there is no choice other than a caloric surplus. Especially because I am newly implementing the two big lifts. Thanks for reading guys. Hope to hear from at least a few of you.
    Consistency
    My Journal

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobH View Post
    I was wearing sweatpants
    That's where you went wrong, right there.

Subbed.

Lol. Never again man.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Back and Biceps

First night for Deadlift. Things went well, I was feeling good in the gym. Back felt fine, Knee felt fine. Got a good workout in. Feel free to share thoughts/opinions on my routine.

Deadlifts
    Warmed up with some back extensions,a few bodyweight pull ups, and the bar.
    135x5
    185x5
    225x5
    As I mentioned I'm starting slow here, I am trying to make damn sure that my back is rigid and I feel it is. 225 came up pretty nicely, but i knew at this point that this should be good for my first time DL'ing in a while.

Weighted Chins
    +35lbsx8 (PR) --Feel like I could have gone heavier and still got the 8 reps
    +35lbsx6
    +25lbsx8
    BWx8

T-Bar Rows
    Note: I prefer to straddle the T-bar, much like I am mounting a Shimmering White Stallion.

125x7
    115x8
    115x8
    The chins made this more difficult than usual. Also got a slight pain in my chest and back from putting my chest on the t bar. I think I'm going to slowly phase this lift out and get my BB rows up to speed.

DB Curls--Did these very strict and controlled. At this point I could feel my Biceps had already been worked pretty good.

35x8
    40x8
    35x8
    Finished them off with some BB curls, just the bar-12 reps

Ended the session with some ab work.

Overall good workout. Felt really strong on the chins and it feels awesome to be deadlifting again.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Chest, Shoulders and Tri's (Primary Chest, Secondary Shoulders)

RUSHED workout today. My gym has the shittiest hours of all time. Got there at 4 and had to be at work by 5... So yeah. Still not a bad workout- but I was sweating my ass off, something that happens very rarely. Also..I do Chest,Shoudlers and Tri's aprx every 5 days, and I rotate between emphasis on chest and shoulders. Today was chest.

BB Bench Press
    Warmed up with some shoulder rotations, some 40lb DB's and the bar.
    135x8
    185x6--Was really wanting to get 8 reps here, and I think I could if I had a spotter.
    175x7
    165x7

Cable Fly's
    Lots of intensity on these, and not much rest between sets.
    80x8 (40 on each side lolz)
    80x8
    80x8

Incline DB Bench
    Went light on these. My chest was pretty spent by now but I wanted DA PUMP.
    50sx8
    60sx7
    55sx7

BB Standing Overhead Press
    My triceps were getting tired here-got a ridiculous pump in my chest and shoulders from these. Light weight.
    95x8
    95x8
    95x8

Tricep pushdowns
    Pinched a nerve in my left arm on the first set-felt like it was a wrist thing so I put on the wrist wraps and didn't look back.

150x8
    140x8
    140x8

Pretty good day even though I did all of this in about 40 minutes. I feel like my chest is exploding lately from all the added volume, but my numbers are small because my leverages are shit....still getting stronger though and that feels good after hitting a wall for a while there.

Last edited by JacobH; 02-12-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Consistency
    My Journal

House Lannister
    Any method behind your exercise order?

When I did a higher volume program, I felt much chest and arms benefited the most from more work. Cable crossovers are the shit.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Any method behind your exercise order?

When I did a higher volume program, I felt much chest and arms benefited the most from more work. Cable crossovers are the shit.
    I guess I would call it a preference more than a method. I Like to center my workouts around a big compound movement and typically hit arms after everything else. I am training for size but I do love lifting some heavy weights and breaking pr's. And same here, I feel I'm really responding well to the higher volume. Im glad I started lifting in the 5 rep range and slowly increased my volume to this over the past 2 years.
    Consistency
    My Journal

So yesterday was supposed to be legs day, and of course it snowed 4 inches where I live (in the middle of nowhere on a rock road) so I couldn't make it in to town. And unfortunately a squat rack is one of the items my garage gym is missing. Furthermore, my knee has been acting up again, it is easily aggravated, but the only time I have pain is specifically when walking down stairs. Anyway, no more excuses, today is back day, but ill be hitting the legs also to make up for yesterday. I plan on squatting at least the bar just to see how my knee feels.
    Consistency
    My Journal

2/14/12 -- Back and Bi's

Deadifts
    Warmups
    135x5
    205x5
    255x5
    275x3
    Form started to break down a little bit so I stopped. Also my knee started to throb after the 275x3.

BB Rows
    So I basically NEVER BB row. I usually just use DB's or the T bar, but I figure since I am now just getting back into Deadlifting, I might as well start BB rowing to add some mass and learn an important movement.
    135x8
    145x8
    145x8
    So I guess that's not too horrible.

One Arm DB Rows
    80x8
    85x8
    90x8
    90x8

Bodyweight (really strict) Pull-ups

Did some Ab work and calf raises and then finished the day with
    Shoulder Shrugs
    65'sx10
    65'sx10
    65'sx10

I like to superset shrugs with a weird form of lateral raises to get blood flowing to my traps.

So I was going to do some hack squats or leg press, but I really want to take it easy on my knee, after I pulled 275 it didn't feel strong enough. I think I'll still do a legs day and just take it easy.
    Consistency
    My Journal

House Lannister
    might wanna be careful with the BB rows after deadlifts Jacob. Always felt like I was going to injure something when I did that.

I'd just do the DB rows after and call it a day for free weight rowing at that point.

Thanks for the advice, you are probably right about that, I did feel it was hard to keep good form after deadlifting. I am also a total noob to BB rowing so I'll go with your thoughts. Thanks again.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Shoulders,chest and Tri's workout from 02/16/12

So i had to go to the shitty fitness center since my gym was doing some maintenance or renewal or some BS. All they have is a smith machine and DB's and a really shitty universal machine. I'm just going to count the smith machine bar as 45 since I have no idea what it weighs.

Seated OH Smith Machine Press
    135x8
    145x8
    155x8
    135x8

Standing DB OH Press
    45'sx8
    45'sx8
    40'sx8
    35'sx8

Flat Smith Machine Bench
    185x8
    205x8
    195x8
    185x8

Two handed DB Tricep extensions
    There heaviest DB was 75 lbs lol
    75x6
    75x6
    75x6
    Dips
    They had a real shitty Dip station that was made for leg raises, but had small handles to give you the option for dips. Hurt the wrists a bit, couldn't get into the groove on them. Plus I'm not used to hanging a DB in between my feet for weight..

+20lbsx8
    +20lbsx8
    BW x8

Oh and also after every set I had to drop the DB from my feet-grasp and each time it hit the floor the old lady that runs the Fitness center gave me a dirty look. So I was done with that place forever. GotTFO of there.
    Felt like my shoulders did a lot of work though, so good enough.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Really want to get to the gym today. I work 10-6. Gym is open 1-5. WTF is with my gym's hours. If it wasn't such a badass gym I would consider changing. If I feel like it I will use my garage gym, but bleh it's cold and there are a few cars in there and my equipment is bare minimum stuff... We shall see what happens.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Workout from 2/20/12

Deadlifts
    Back felt like shit, I was incredibly hot in my gym. I think I had a little virus or something, overall just felt like shit. But my lifts weren't tooo horrible.

135x10
    225x5
    245x3 (sweating balls after this, definitely not normal for me)
    225x5
    bleh

Weighted Chins
    BW+35 x7
    BW+25 x8
    BW+25 x7
    Bwx10

T-bar Rows
    110x8
    115x8
    110x8

Did some DB curls with 45's and some shrugs to finish. Felt like shit. Will do better next back day.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Workout from 2/21/12

Chest, Tri's, Shoulders Primary chest

Felt a little better this day.

Flat BB Bench
    175x8
    185x6
    175x7
    165x8

Cable Fly's
    50'sx8
    40'sx8
    40'sx8

Dips
    BW+25x6
    BW+15x7
    BWx8
    BWx8

Standing DB OH Press
    50'sx8
    45'sx8
    45'sx8
    45'sx8

Machine Tricep pushdowns
    160x8
    170x8
    170x8
    160x8

Alright my weight and my lifts have started to stall. I have increased calories by about 400 a day. Some days more like 500 to 600. I am not worried about fat gain. I want to be a good 190-200 before I cut again. I have never eaten this much in my life. lol
    Consistency
    My Journal

House Lannister
    Nice work Jacob.

what's your frequency like? 1x a week for every bodypart? I really feel that upping the frequency can help you stay in the groove neurally, so to speak. Every time I've done bodyparts 1x a week, I feel fucking retarded in the gym--like I lose my coordination on those exercises for whatever reason.

Thanks man. I shoot for once every 5 days, and I think I've been hitting that pretty good, I'm not sure I want to deadlift that frequently though with my back situation. And I am definitely going to incorporate some quad movements, weather I can squat or not. I have been considering once every 4 days...Not sure how that would work with my split.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Back and Bi's

No deads today. I want to hit deadlifts once a week instead of once every 5 days. My lower back seems to need a couple more days to fully repair itself with my injury.

Weighted Pull-ups (Palms facing away, very strict)
    +20x7
    +15x7
    +10x7 (Barely got the last rep)
    I wanted to hit my reps today so I switched to lat pulldowns for one set.
    140x8
    I did these very strict also, really trying to feel my lats with every rep, I pull down to below my chest and slightly lean my upper back...back.

One arm Bent DB Rows
    85x10
    95x8<---PR
    90x8
    Dumbell Rows absolutely kill me lol. I was happy to get 95x8, next time I think I'll go for 4 sets of 95x8....but the dumbells at my gym only go to 100....not sure what I'll do when I can rep out 100's.

Did about 8 reps of deadlifts with 135 to keep my neural pathways from retardation.

DB Shrugs
    70'sx8
    70'sx8
    55'sx12
    I am still supersetting these with my weird form of lateral raises with 15lb DB's. I stand with my feet close together and really spread my arms up at the top of the movement and try to get ALL THE BLOOD! into my traps. I am addicted to the trap pump I get from these combined exercises.

BB curls
    I did these in front of the squat rack with the largest mirror, so everyone in my gym could bask in the glory of my curls. (gym was empty)
    85x8
    65x8
    65x8

Then finished my bi's off with some
    Alternating DB curls
    35'sx8
    35'sx8

Good workout. Weighed 183 today nekked. Finally getting steady weight gain. I have found if I eat exactly everything that I can possibly get in my hands it is the same as tracking my cals. lol
    Consistency
    My Journal

Not sure how I've missed this journal until now. I like everything I see in here. From the goals to be big and lean, to the workout rotation and exercise selection for the most part and even the back injury I can completely relate as I've never been able to train deadlift to high level because of my own.

Now, some comments/questions to catch up. You say that eatting everyting that you can get your hands on is the same as tracking your cals, so what amount of calories IS "everything that you can get your hands on"?

I'd also make a humble suggestion that your goals are primarily size and not strength that you train lateral raises before an overhead or military or even drop the overhead work altogether in lieu of lateral raises. Maybe it'll work for you or maybe not. From my experience lateral raises were my bread and butter shoulder movement for YEARS with only sporatic overhead pressing done from time to time (always did laterals though). My shoulders have always been and even now through injury are my most dominant group. And not that I directly implicate it, but when I tore my labrum it was after doing regular OH presses for 8 months for the first time in my life.

In the same vein (vane? whichever), if size is really your only goal then maybe db pressing > barbell pressing and cg bench before a pushdown.

There are all just suggestions though and pretty much based off of only my personal preference. People are different and respond (and more importantly enjoy therefore leading to better results) to different things. These are just some thoughts to consider and maybe see if they would work to the best of your interest. Still want to know about the food situation though, lets hear more!
    Last edited by Behemoth; 02-27-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

House Lannister
    Rory, thought we had pinned down your injury to db flat pressing with bands?

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Rory, thought we had pinned down your injury to db flat pressing with bands?
    The likely last straw, yes. But slap tears goes hand in hand with overhead work/stress more often than not. So it has made me wonder whether or not going 9 or 10 years and never OH pressing more than 75 or 80lbs and then suddenly incorporating very heavy OH pressing up to 105 in 6 or 8 months played into it...
    Last edited by Behemoth; 02-27-2012 at 11:26 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Not sure how I've missed this journal until now. I like everything I see in here. From the goals to be big and lean, to the workout rotation and exercise selection for the most part and even the back injury I can completely relate as I've never been able to train deadlift to high level because of my own.

Now, some comments/questions to catch up. You say that eatting everyting that you can get your hands on is the same as tracking your cals, so what amount of calories IS "everything that you can get your hands on"?

I'd also make a humble suggestion that your goals are primarily size and not strength that you train lateral raises before an overhead or military or even drop the overhead work altogether in lieu of lateral raises. Maybe it'll work for you or maybe not. From my experience lateral raises were my bread and butter shoulder movement for YEARS with only sporatic overhead pressing done from time to time (always did laterals though). My shoulders have always been and even now through injury are my most dominant group. And not that I directly implicate it, but when I tore my labrum it was after doing regular OH presses for 8 months for the first time in my life.

In the same vein (vane? whichever), if size is really your only goal then maybe db pressing > barbell pressing and cg bench before a pushdown.

There are all just suggestions though and pretty much based off of only my personal preference. People are different and respond (and more importantly enjoy therefore leading to better results) to different things. These are just some thoughts to consider and maybe see if they would work to the best of your interest. Still want to know about the food situation though, lets hear more!
    Hey first of all, thanks alot for checking out my journal Rory, it means alot to get pointers from someone with your experience/knowlege. Also I have to say reading through your posts over the past year or more has brought me from clueless to not entirely clueless. lol

Now, the food. I am currently eating around 3800 cals. I started gaining off of about 3300-3500 at a litte under 180lbs. I must say i am horrible at tracking calories. Basically i make damn sure to get my 200 g's of protein per day, and whatever calories I need after that are fair game. (ice cream. beer. totinos(jk)) Basically as long as I am gaining a lb or a little more than a lb a week I am good. I don't track macros other than protein. Do you think this is hindering me? My body seems to have a fat setpoint that it simply will not go past without eating large quantitys of horrible food, the most fat I've ever carried is about 14% BF and that was after rapidly gaining weight for the first time from 150lbs to about 175lbs.

So you think lateral raises facilitate more growth than OHP? This is something I have never really considered, but now that I think about it more isolation usually=more size. And the injury thing is scary, seeing what you are going through now with the consideration of surgery. So I will definitely be bumping Lateral raises up on the routine list.

As for the BB bench. I think I just have a Bro-gene in me that wants to bench heavy weight with a barbell lol. You are definitely right on though, I have been planning a full DB takeover of my flat pressing with only occasional BB movements. My chest is my most lagging muscle group in my opinion, so It's about time I switched methods to get some more size.

Basically I'm going to follow your advice and I'll keep on with the updates of my progress, thanks again Rory!---Oh and also I was lurking your journal and read that you are switching to a more instinctive approach to your workouts. I am the same way, I don't pre plan any of these workouts other than what muscle groups I will be working in a given day and I love it. I guess my approach to sets and reps is probably quite a bit different than your's though because even after a few days I can remember most every detail about my workouts.
    Last edited by JacobH; 02-29-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Chest, Shoulders, Tri's workout from 2/27/12

Flat BB bench
    135x10
    185x7 --No spotter, I am damn near certain I could get 8 reps now
    175x8
    170x7

Cable Fly's
    I love cable fly's. That is all.
    50'sx8
    40'sx8
    40'sx8
    30'sx10

Standing BB OHP
    115x7
    105x8
    95x8

Seated DB OHP
    50'sx6
    45'sxnope
    lol

Tricep Pushdowns
    Used the rope
    130x10
    140x10
    switched to the Y grip thing
    170x8
    160x8

I still have wicked DOMS from this workout for some reason. And it's been two days and I wrote nothing down so i really think I am missing something in here...usually I write my workout on my phone or on here immediately after I lift...
    Last edited by JacobH; 02-29-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Deadlifts, Some legs, and Some curls from 02/28/12

Deadlifts
    135x8 or 9
    225x5
    275x5
    225x5

I got pretty pissed off while doing these. I really need someone who knows what good form is to watch me as I lift. I can SEE good form perfectly, but I can't FEEL it. Very frustrating. I need to put up a video...maybe I'll take the GF to the gym and have her Vid me lol I just don't want to take any chances with my lower back.

Seated Leg Press
    350x8
    360x8
    360x8

Knee felt good this night.

CURLZ
    Alternating arm curls
    45'sx8
    35'sx8
    BB curls
    65x10
    65x10

I have to admit I just wanted to pump up my Biceps.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Lats, Traps, Biceps

Never felt stronger in the gym. Also never been heavier. (consistent 184-185 for a few days) Schedule has been a little weird with lifts, but it's nice to mix things up slightly.

Weighted Chins
    BWx8
    +35x8
    +30x7.5
    +25x5
    BWx8

T-bar Rows (cant get away from this lift)
    2platesx8
    2P's+25x9
    2P's+35x8
    2P's+25x8

Never felt stronger on either of those lifts ^

Kneeling One arm Cable Pulldowns Tryed to activate the Lats/traps on these. Not really sure what I am doing but it felt good.
    140x8
    150x8
    Then went to
    Lat Pulldowns(super strict)
    130x8
    110x8

DB Shoulder Shrugs
    70'sx10
    80'sx10
    70'sx10

Finished with some
    MOAR CURLS!
    I'm thinking about switching to a Curls-only routine. 2-a-day's, 7 days a week
    Alternating DB's
    40'sx8
    40'sx8
    Consecutive(?) DB Curls
    35'sx8
    35'sx8

I feel like I'm putting on some size just about everywhere. Will post pics soon when I don't feel skinny fat.
    Consistency
    My Journal