View Poll Results: Can I gain about 30-40lbs and be lean in 2 years without squats or deadlifts?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

8 53.33%
  • No

7 46.67%

Thread: Muscle without squats/deadlifts

Muscle without squats/deadlifts

Some of you may remember me as DaChickenShowYo, and some of you may remember that I have a major back injury that prevents me from doing exercise that puts alot of stress on my spinal erectors.

I have been very depressed about this, but I've continued to train in some form or another.

At the beginning of summer I would estimate that I was about 185lbs and at about 18% bodyfat. I decided to get cut and tan so I could proudly take my shirt off, and thanks to xenadrine, circuit training and swimming I've lost 20lbs. That was way more than I intended, and it kinda scared me, but my lifts have stayed the same and I've seen massive losses of fat, but not much noticable muscle loss. I'm at about 166lbs right now and almost have ripped abs.

Here's my predicament: In the next two years or so, I want to get up to about 200+lbs ripped. I'm 16 right now, and about 5'10 and I don't think that that is an impossible goal, but a major setback of course is the fact that I can't squat or deadlift, two great mass-gaining exercises. I still fully intend to try to reach my goal without posterior chain exercises.

So I'd like you ask you if you think its possible for me to reach my goal without squatting or deadlifting, and I'd like to ask for any advice any of you would have as far as a routine or diet goes.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Of course it's possible, and you can still work your legs. Leg extensions and seated leg curls. Don't do lying leg curls as it'll **** with that back injury.

Keep workin hard bro, sorry about your injury.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Thanks for your incouraging words. Anyone else?

It is very possible to create an impressive physique without squtas or deadlifts.

I would use various leg machines, leg presses, leg extensions, hamstring curl, placing your feet in different positions on the leg press so your hams take the brunt of the load, the cables, dumbbells, unilateral trainig, the list can go on......
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    I'm glad I voted yes now that I read the post

I'm sure that your attitute will help alot
    Last edited by Holto; 07-05-2002 at 09:39 PM.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Yah, it'll likely be a slower process IMO, but it's possible.

And your username is too close to my title. You're not a meathead. I am. I am THE meathead. Bow down. Thank you.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Yeah its possible but it would be easier with the big 3.

Just my $.02. Hehe DaChickenShowYo its you huh? I am MonStar. Changed names today.

Wannabebig Member
    hey man for ur legs try doing dumbell Lunges but im not sure if they'll #$%^ w/ ur back or not. good luck and never give up!

"ROME WASNT BUILT IN ONE NIGHT!!!!!!"