Thread: GST Training Journal

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

GST Training Journal

Hey guys! Starting up a new cycle of my routine and figured I'd keep a log here for some motivation. Here's a little background info...

I'm 19 years old, 5'10" 175 pounds. I've trained pretty hard since I was about 16 but recently had to take about a year off due to a torn rotator cuff. I've been progressively working my shoulder and other muscles back to strength the past 6 months and I'm getting pretty close to feeling 100%. My strength levels aren't were they were pre-injury but I'm hoping to get them up there in a few months time.

The program I'm using is Growth Stimulus Training. Here's a link that outlines the program in great detail: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...1353501&page=1

Basically, I work every muscles group once every 8 days, training every other day. Each day has a "core" lift. Mine are Squat, Chinups, DL, and Bench. Week 1 you do 60% of your ORM for 3x8, with the last set being as many reps as possible. It progresses so the second week you do 3x6 at 70%, third week 3x4 at 80%, and fourth week 1xAMRAP then 2x1 at 90-95%. Their is also 2 or 3 supplemental lifts every day and those alternate between rep schemes of 3x8 and 3x15 for each day training that body part.

After you complete the cycle you start over again. I just completed my first cycle so I'm starting up the second cycle tomorrow. All my lifts progressed real well. My last two deadlift days my form got sloppy so for this cycle I'm dropping the weight a bit for them and really focusing on my form.

Alright, I'll probably be working out tomorrow evening so I'll post the results afterwards!
    Last edited by decroo21; 02-09-2012 at 09:07 PM.
    I have a Big 3 total of 140. My curls, and flys are good but the skullcrushers are really holding me back!

Wannabebig Member
    I was busy last night so I'll post yesterday's workout now. All sets posted are working sets.

Squats:

185x8
    185x8
    185x12

I might have been able to get up to 15 reps on the last set but I always pussy out. The squats felt strong though.

Leg Press:

320x8
    320x8
    320x8

DB Lunges:

45's x8 (per leg)
    45's x8
    45's x8
    I have a Big 3 total of 140. My curls, and flys are good but the skullcrushers are really holding me back!

Wannabebig Member
    Back and Bi's today.

Chinups:

BW+10 x8
    BW+10 x8
    BW+10 x8

I had to take a couple breaks during the last set to get all the reps.

DB Rows:

45s x8
    45s x8
    45s x8

Lat Pulldown:

130x8
    130x8
    130x8

Cable Rows:

110x8
    110x8
    110x8

This is definitely my easiest day of the routine. I'll be back with a good Deadlift workout on Tuesday.

House Lannister
    Interested to see how this turns out for you. GST always seemed kinda intriguing.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, it caught my eye and once I started reading about it, it interested me. The first cycle saw some good strength gains. I'm not sure how it will hold up over time though. I only train each body part ever 8 days on GST which seems pretty infrequent.

House Lannister
    That's not great, no. 1x a week at the minimum IMO.

Still, if it's working, no reason to change.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, I know what you mean. As long as I'm gaining at a good rate, I plan to stay on this routine. Probably no more than 2 more cycles. I like it because it's a non-intimidating transition into heavier weightlifting from my injury where I literally couldn't do anything for a year. It's low volume and gives me plenty of recovery time so I think that will be beneficial for a couple months and then I can get into something more complex.

House Lannister
    Could look at 5/3/1 or Madcow 5x5 after if you want to get your strength up. 5/3/1 is quite slow and easy, IMO.

Wannabebig Member
    I was on Madcow a couple years ago and really like it. That might be my next stop.

Today's workout went pretty well. My lower back is torched.

Deadlifts:

185x8
    185x8
    185x12

These went very smoothly. I made sure to keep my form real strict. I took a couple videos. My back doesn't round at all but it's not exactly arched either. I find it really hard to bend down low enough to grab the bar while still keeping my back arched. Anyone else have this problem?

Rack Pulls + Shrugs:

225x2
    225x2

My grip was toast and I didn't bring any chalk so I was screwed for these. Could have actually done real sets with 225 if my hands weren't killing me. Had to drop down to 185.

185x5
    185x5

Cable Pullthroughs:

100x8
    100x8
    100x8

These are mostly just done to help stretch my lower back at the end of the workout. Not really challenging but I like them as an accessory.

House Lannister
    Form's gonna give when you're pushing it. As long as the lumbar area isn't rounding like a scared cat I bet you're okay. Post the video up. A lot of times it feels worse than it looks.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, I don't think my form is bad at all but last week I pushed really hard close to my max. My lower back had some pain in it for a few days afterwards so just to be safe I dropped the weight for this cycle and am really concentrating on form. I'll try to put the video up later but it's pretty shitty. On my cell phone cam and it only records for 30 seconds so it only got like the first half of my sets.

Wannabebig Member
    Bench Press:

155x8
    155x8
    155x10

Really easy, just got tired out on the last set.

Dips:

BW+20 x8
    BW+20 x8
    BW+20 x8

Incline DB Press:

45s x8
    45s x8
    45s x8

Wannabebig Member
    Squats:

215x6
    215x6
    215x12

These felt great, I was really excited about them.

DB Lunges:

35s x12 (per leg)
    35s x12
    35s x12

Leg Press:

250x15
    250x15
    250x10

Overall, a good day in the gym. I almost threw up but I'm not sure if that was from lifting or being extremely hungover

House Lannister
    Nice effort. Past 6 reps, I start to tire very easily on squats.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah it sucked, my entire body was just dead after the workout yesterday. I have no idea how people do 20 rep squats.

Wannabebig Member
    Chin Ups:

BW+15 x6
    BW+15 x6
    BW+15 x6

DB Rows:

50s x8 (per arm)
    50s x8
    50s x8

Cable Rows:

3 sets

Lat Pulldowns:

3 sets

Good day in the gym. Especially when between sets I could watch some jackass do squats where he would only go down maybe halfway. And he would walk the bar forward out of the rack and then back up to put the bar back in the rack after the set.