The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member Jonathan E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    474

    My Stubborn Lower Body

    This is more or less a general discussion of the topic of lower body injuries/rehab/tips that anyone can post in...I myself have a few things I want to discuss to see if I can shed more light on the topic on a personal level. Here we go:

    Im about to turn 18, trying out for college football this upcoming fall.
    -Since about 8th grade, I've had lower back pain. I went to PT and came out better, haven't had any major issues since fresh/soph year.

    -For years, I've had horrible shin splints..to the point where 5 minutes on a treadmill feels like an army boot camp drill. Not to mention my feet,legs, and back get sore quick.

    -This past summer, while running my 40 at a combine, I strained my hamstring. I've done my best to rehab it with the help of the head ATC at my school, but i feel there is still some instability.

    -Ive had flat feet since I can remember.

    Basically, to sum it all up. I have had issues for a while now. To compensate, I do regular stretching and foam rolling, have orthopedics for my flat feet(dont feel a great difference), eat right, and obviously on a good workout plan. My question to everyone is do you have any tips, experiences, recommendations, or anything at all with ANY of the above topics? I am interested to see what information I can come about. Sorry if this thread is a bit broad -_-

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,590
    Your mechanics are likely horrible and you need to have someone qualified evaluate them.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  4. #3
    Senior Member Jonathan E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Your mechanics are likely horrible and you need to have someone qualified evaluate them.
    In what sense are you thinking of?

  5. #4
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21
    Wow, that's a lot of problems!

    You definitely should be able to strengthen your lower back - I had the same sort of issues there, and building the muscle in my back has completely made the back aching disappear.

    Shin splints - do you do a lot of work on your legs, or a lot of running, and are not allowing your legs to recover properly?

    Do you eat properly food wise? Good quality protein, carbs and fat, and in amounts appropriate for your current build and level of exercise?

    Hammie problems - that's very likely to be connected to your lower back issues. And that could well be throwing out your posture, possibly putting more pressure on lower legs causing shin splints. That's a guess there, by the way.

    Might we worthwhile going to a chiro to ensure your spine is aligned, and a physio to make sure that your muscles are released and not constricting movements. If those things check out, you should be able to strengthen the muscles, and come out of your troubles, so long as you allow yourself to rest, and take your progress good and steady.

    I suspect you might have some muscular weaknesses or imbalances, in which case your physio will gives you the specifics of how to bring those areas up to speed.

    Good luck!
    Customized Nutrition and Weight Training Exercises To Get You Ripped With somanabolic muscle maximizer. Get your results fast.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Jonathan E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJohnston View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of problems!

    You definitely should be able to strengthen your lower back - I had the same sort of issues there, and building the muscle in my back has completely made the back aching disappear.

    Shin splints - do you do a lot of work on your legs, or a lot of running, and are not allowing your legs to recover properly?

    Do you eat properly food wise? Good quality protein, carbs and fat, and in amounts appropriate for your current build and level of exercise?

    Hammie problems - that's very likely to be connected to your lower back issues. And that could well be throwing out your posture, possibly putting more pressure on lower legs causing shin splints. That's a guess there, by the way.

    Might we worthwhile going to a chiro to ensure your spine is aligned, and a physio to make sure that your muscles are released and not constricting movements. If those things check out, you should be able to strengthen the muscles, and come out of your troubles, so long as you allow yourself to rest, and take your progress good and steady.

    I suspect you might have some muscular weaknesses or imbalances, in which case your physio will gives you the specifics of how to bring those areas up to speed.

    Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply, i might just do that.

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    38
    You should try to do some light pace jogs while barefoot to see if that helps your shin splints at all. I have read numerous published articles that seem to provide evidence that barefoot running can actually increase the natural arc in one's foot, which, in turn, eases strain on the tendons and ligaments associated with running by enhancing form.

    Fore/mid-foot strike, slight roll on outside to stride.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Jonathan E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by clsmilek View Post
    You should try to do some light pace jogs while barefoot to see if that helps your shin splints at all. I have read numerous published articles that seem to provide evidence that barefoot running can actually increase the natural arc in one's foot, which, in turn, eases strain on the tendons and ligaments associated with running by enhancing form.

    Fore/mid-foot strike, slight roll on outside to stride.
    Definitely something worth trying. However, it would only be a temporary fix until the football season=cleats.

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    At a slight angle to the universe
    Posts
    1,818
    Spend a few weeks working through mobilitywod.com. Try a new one each day, test/re-test and you'll be amazed at your progress.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Jonathan E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    Spend a few weeks working through mobilitywod.com. Try a new one each day, test/re-test and you'll be amazed at your progress.
    This is freakin awesome. Thank you.

Similar Threads

  1. Still do Lower Body even though my upper body is Sore & Stiff?
    By jcwhackflava in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-2009, 10:38 AM
  2. Starting out - skinny upper body, huge lower body
    By sophiston in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 02:57 PM
  3. Lower Body Helping Upper Body
    By Exzodia in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 02:21 PM
  4. Name your most stubborn body parts and the excercises u do to improve them
    By Ice Veins in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 03-23-2005, 07:45 PM
  5. For size: upper body/lower body split better than specializing?
    By Collegekid in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 10:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •