Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me get my 6-Pack back!!

Help me get my 6-Pack back!!

I've been working out for like 2 months, and noticing some good gains in my arms and chest. My stomach looks the same as it did 2 months ago, despite the ab crunches I do 3 times a week. I'm 5'8" and 160lbs (not sure what my BF% is.). I have a little pudge on my stomach, but not much. I realize I need to burn the fat there before the 6 pack really shows up, but I was just hoping for some advice/tips/recommendations on getting some killer abs. Thanks in advance.

You know... tsk tsk. You're overtraining your stomach. Train them once, or twice max a week. Diet well, and do cardio three times a week.
    "Let's hope the ship has a captain, in other words, since we're not taking part in what's going on."
    -Noam Chomsky
    "It's like putting pearls on swine. You can dress up a pig... but it's still a pig... isn't it? oink oink oink..oink oink"
    -Henry Rollins
    Push the envelope... watch it bend..
    -Tool
    "In the valley of the shadow of death... I fear no one, because i am the baddest mother****er in the valley!"

Mind Over Matter Monster Muscle's Avatar
    loose the bf yo and they will show now be on the go!
    "If you have a 10-horsepower motor and you subject it to a 12-horsepower load, it will burn out. But when you have a human body that is the equivalent of a 10-horsepower motor and you subject it to a 12-horsepower load, it eventually becomes a 12-horsepower motor."
    -Dr. L.G.

Doing lots of ab work won't give you a six-pack. It'll just strengthen your abs, and make them visible for when your bodyfat goes down. Without low bodyfat they'll never be visible, no matter how hard, or often you work them

...fattest...fatter...fat. WannaBeStrong's Avatar
    Do weighted crunches and of course lose the BF.

Your stomach muscles will not get bulky from doing such. That's a myth.

Keep your back flat and your neck back. Don't do neck crunches. Try to push your chest to the ceiling using your stomach muscles.

Then, lower your calories to 12*BW for 6 weeks and enjoy.

Grasshoppa
    Dieting is the key to exposing them.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig New Member
    You have to eat clean and do cardio.....preferrably first thing in the morning before you eat anything i personally stick to 30 to 40 minutes 3 to 4 times a week. You can do a million abdominal exercises a day but if you don't lose the bodyfat, your abds will never show. 2 twice week i hit my abds with weighted bended leg lifts and weighted crunches 3 sets.
    Abds are made and lost in the Kitchen
    Fitness is not a Choice, Its a LifeStyle!!!!!

The Truth
    doing abs 3x/week is overtraining? seriously?

I'm doing
    4x20 for:
    90 degree crunches
    reverse crunches
    twist crunches

mon, wed, fri

should i do something different? My diet is pretty good/clean..

Wannabebig Member
    Also, do leg lifts or hanging leg raises to hit those lower abs.
    Don't forget twisting movement to hit your obliques too.
    doing abs 3 times a week isn't too bad...at least you don't do them everyday

Just do some weighted ab work once a week. They're like any other muscle.. they NEED rest.
    Last edited by gregnb; 06-02-2002 at 06:41 PM.
    No Pain, No Gain!

"Love changes, and best friends become strangers" - NaS

Originally posted by gregnb
    Just do some weighted ab work once a week. They're like any other muscle.. they NEED rest.
    ok well my lifting routine is every other day (1 day on. 1 day off), which gives my muscles 48 hrs to recover. Would I be doing any damage if I worked my abs at the same frequency?

I wouldn't really get paranoid over this people. I mean, if you are having gains training abs three times a week, then by all means do them three times, if not, then ease off a bit.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

What about a light Ab workout, say, 50-100 crunches, every day. Would that be the same as working them hard 2-3 times a week?

No..would you do a light bench day with 50-100 reps of the bar, instead of doing say, 200 x 5? No..that would be pointless. Abs are a muscle. Train them like one.

Banned
    Originally posted by heathj
    No..would you do a light bench day with 50-100 reps of the bar, instead of doing say, 200 x 5? No..that would be pointless. Abs are a muscle. Train them like one.
    :withstupi

doing 100 crunches is pointless to begin with. if they aren't burning like you just got kicked in the gut by an elephant by rep numer 15 then you're doin them all wrong.

The Truth
    What do you guys recommend for me?

I'm 165/5'11... ~15% BF, I would say..

I want to get a 6 pack by september..
    think i'm gonna do: Mon, wed, Fri
    4 sets 20
    90 Degree Crunches
    Twist Crunches (2 sets for left; 2 sets right)
    Reverse Crunches

Diet:
    Mult Vitamin
    Vitamin C
    ~8:00 (Somedays an hour earlier or later)-- 3 Eggs, Oatmeal, One Scoop Whey W/ water

10:30 -- Tuna

12:30 -- Chicken, Rice (Should I get rid of this?)

1:00 -- Work

3:30/Turkey (Maybe)

6:00 -- Off/Chicken, Veggies,
    7:30/Workout

~8:30/ Whey/Water

10:30 -- Turkey, Veggies, Whey W/ Water

Drink ~ gallon water/day

Think that'll work or do I NEED Cardio?

In my actual routine, i'm probably gonna do 45 second rests between sets..

Originally posted by Tru
    What do you guys recommend for me?

I'm 165/5'11... ~15% BF, I would say..

I want to get a 6 pack by september..
    think i'm gonna do: Mon, wed, Fri
    4 sets 20
    90 Degree Crunches
    Twist Crunches (2 sets for left; 2 sets right)
    Reverse Crunches
    IMO, that's too much ab work. Why not just train them like you would every other body part? I haven't trained abs in over 2 weeks, just been dieting and my abs are looking good. I'd worry about getting your body fat lower rather than training abs that much, spend the extra time doing some cardio instead.

if you want the rice, make sure it's brown. and i'd increase the H20 intake as well

The Truth
    What should I do for cardio?
    how many x week?
    And I don't really like the rice anyway, was just eating it cuz I thought it was good.. should I drop it?

Anything else?

What would you change for my ab work?

Just train abs once a week, use heavy weight and do about 2-3 sets of 8-12. Throw in about 2 or 3 days of cardio for the week, or the cardio isn't necessarily, just get strict on your diet. I used to train abs 5 or 6 days a week and they still didn't show well until I got on a good diet and stuck on it for a while, then they still didn't look good till I started training them like every other muscle in my body. I'm just saying do cardio in place of the ab training because the routine you were going with is pretty much pointless in getting good looking abs.

The Truth
    So... Like

Weighted Crunches 3 x 10
    What else?

And then, cardio 2x/week.. But what should I do?

The weighted crunches are fine going with 3x10 once a week. As far as cardio, it doesn't really matter. I personally use a stationary bike two times a week for 25 minutes.

The Truth
    Would running stairs be ok? Should I do it before breakfast?

So just weighted crunches once a week?

running stairs is fine, as long as you can keep it up for around 20-30 minutes. Also, I used to run stairs for my method of cardio, but it caused a lot of stress on my knees after a while so I stopped. I do cardio on an empty stomach as soon as I wake up in the mornings. And yes, the weighted crunches once a week is fine, abs are all about having your body fat low enough to see them, not really about training them to get them to show.