The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cardio: Controversial?

I read this article...it seems to have merit, and it got me thinking. Any opinions?

http://testosterone.net/html/33plain.html
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Sounds like a bodybuilding type with an ax to grind wrote it...

You could probably find a runner with an ax to grind who wrote a piece on how weight lifting is hard on the body and unnecessary.

Whether or not you do cardio and how much you do depends on your personal goals, your overall health plan, and your individual needs. I'm tired of hearing the "all or nothing" debate myself.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Nelson Montana is a piece of crap.

Anyways, I haven't read this myself but I think it might be of intersest:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...com%26rnum%3D1

This one I have read, it's just plain funny:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Ne...onr.com&rnum=4

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Lol!

And there's my answer.....
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Best article I've read in a long time if you ask me.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Lyle never explained what the problem was with the article. Instead he tried to sway somone into a debate.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

PR blaster!
    It's called cardio for a reason....to improve function of the heart and lungs. It's not all too effective for fat loss.

His point is that you can do the same with anaerobic work.....and to a degree, I think he's correct.

Even so, endurance training has its place for everyone.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

The Truth
    So, you don't need cardio to drop your bodyfat?

Dead Sexy Member
    Very interesting.

Originally posted by Tru
    So, you don't need cardio to drop your bodyfat?
    *** Absolutely not! I know Charles Poliquin is huge on weight training for fat loss. It works you just need to adjust your training to meet the demands of your goals.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I like fitness, and i'm starting it up again tomorrow morning.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

The Truth
    Originally posted by Maki Riddington

*** Absolutely not! I know Charles Poliquin is huge on weight training for fat loss. It works you just need to adjust your training to meet the demands of your goals.
    How would I do that?

I just changed my routine to this:

Mon: abs
    Tue: Legs/Shoulders (I clean and press the weight up for squats/front squats cuz I have no rack so i'm working shoulders.. while doing legs so I switched this)
    Wed: abs
    Thur: Back/Biceps/Forearms
    Friday: Abs
    Sat: off
    Sunday: Chest/Triceps

I was gonna do cardio on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday.. but I don't think i'm going to now.

How do you think I should adjust my training to lose fat? I think my diet is pretty solid..

*** Try this,

Mon: abs
    Tue: Legs/Shoulders (I clean and press the weight up for squats/front squats cuz I have no rack so i'm working shoulders.. while doing legs so I switched this)

Squats: 1x20
    Shoulder Press: 1x12

Rest 60 seconds and repeat again for 3 more cycles.

Wed: abs
    Thur: Back/Biceps/Forearms

Chin Ups: 1x12
    Barbell Curl: 1x10
    Static Holds with some dumbells for 60 seconds

Rest 60-90 seconds

Lat Pulldown: 1x10
    Bicep Dumbbell Curl: 1x12
    Farmer walks: 60 seconds

Rest again and repeat this cycle twice more.

Friday: Abs

Sat: off
    Sunday: Chest/Triceps

*** Barbell Bench Press: 1x12
    Rope Press Downs: 1x12

Rest for 60 seconds

Flat Flys: 1x10
    Close Grip Bench Press: 1x12

Rest and repeat twice more.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Alternatively you could use lower, 5-8, non-failure reps and do 5-8 sets with that with 30-90 second rests.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Or just use what Power said as the first or second cycle.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

So cardio isnt effective at all for fat-loss? Not even on rest days? Thats really great. Haha I wouldnt have done cardio at all since I started bodybuilding. I have wasted hundreds of hours on treadmills / stationery bikes.

MS

Personally, I think cardio is worthless, I don't think I'll ever do any. I'm certainly not planning on it right now for contest prep.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Without cardio how do you guys drop fat, basically just keep calories down and even lower on rest days?

MS

It's not always just about calories. When I want to lose fat, I jack my protein and fat way up (2g of protein/per pound bw) and I moderate my carbs between days, 100 carbs being my low day, 200 being my moderate day, and 350 being my high day.

Thats some crazy sh!t man, carb cycling works for you huh?

I eat about 10-11 x my bodyweight isocalorically and right around every 3rd day Ill have a 4-5 hour low-fat refeed. Lotta fun actually. I always enjoy it.

MS

Wannabebig Member
    Okay, I have to jump in here, finally. Please ignore the fact that I'm drunk (hey, 2 hours of World Cup tv, followed immediately by 3 hours of Stanley cup tv, now on the 2 hour wait to live world cup again, what do you expect?)

What are your goals? Personally, as a mountain biker, ultimate player, and hiker I find cardio work extremely useful. Is it the only way to lose fat? No, but it is a decent way, and if you participate in sports that require endurance it has some useful side effects. If your main concern is strength, it's probably detrimental.

IOW the question's no fair unless we know your intended result.
    Last edited by dildog; 06-04-2002 at 11:09 PM.
    Age: <classified> Weight: <classified> Lifts: <classified> Goals: <classified>

bone crusher
    cardio is exercise for the cardiopulmonary system.

Its value for maximum health is unquestionable. You needn't run marathons nor sprint for hours to obtain its benefits.

walking, jogging, any sustained vigorous activity will convey the benefits.

whilst i have been bulking i have reduced its frequency but never eliminate it.

Originally posted by the doc
    cardio is exercise for the cardiopulmonary system.

Its value for maximum health is unquestionable. You needn't run marathons nor sprint for hours to obtain its benefits.

walking, jogging, any sustained vigorous activity will convey the benefits.

whilst i have been bulking i have reduced its frequency but never eliminate it.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

MACHINE
    As most of you know, I've always supported losing fat via diet rather than cardio. It's worked well for me and I have noticed cardio takes some of the fullness away from my muscles when I did it regularly in the past.

However , I'm not impressed with his rationale of what calories are burned for energy first - carbs, then protein, then fat. He explains that it is in this order because it is the "path of least resistance." I think where energy to perform cardio comes from depends on more variables than he is taking into consideration.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560