The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Low volume

Blue veined member !

Low volume

Right , low volume training..the supposed way to go. I wrote myself a routine out weeks ago but havent actually used it properly yet due to a bloody ten week injury that still hurts for some reason.

Right my question is ..would you say low volume routines are only for really advanced lifters? the reason being i was doing a workout the other day and i finished a set to what i would call failure and realised that if my mate wasnt babbling i could`ve probably done another 2- 3. So is it a waste of time doing say 3-4 sets total for chest unless ur really ( IN THE ZONE ) so to speak and know ur totally focused..otherwise would it be better to increase the sets and not go to total ball busting agonising failure ???? Some days i will go to and past failure with great intensity others i tend to give in before i really should. Should i increase the sets on those days when im not feeling totally focused?

did that make any sense ? probably not lol
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

why do so few sets, why not just do 30 pushups and call it a night, i dont see how you can really get anything out of low volume

...fattest...fatter...fat. WannaBeStrong's Avatar
    i dont see how you can really get anything out of low volume
    Ahem. Just because I've never kayaked before doesn't mean it don't exist.

A lot of people gain tremendous strength from low-volume high-intensity workouts. Gotta work REAL hard, but it's worth it. I gained an easy 25+lbs in 2 months after training using other methods for 6 months unsuccessfully.

Blue veined member !
    that was an extremely dumb statement ID. I hope Chris Mason doesnt see it hehehe.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

It works great for me.

Be sure you throw in some warmup sets. Don't just "Go Heavy" from the start. A sure fire way to get yourself another 10 weeks of sideline.

I do four sets myself. None close to failure. 8 reps, 6 reps, 3-4 reps, then 1-2 just below your desired weight. You only need to warmup the muscle group once. Then try and knock yourself out ;-)

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Low volume is much more effective than high volume for average and natural trainees. Granted, you do have to work pretty hard, but you shouldn't be going to the gym to do anything less than your best. Doing 3-4 sets with all out intensity will give you better results (over time) than doing 20-25 sets at 50% intensity.tuttut

I don't know about you guys but a regular diet of high volume workout would be the surest way for me to burn out at the gym. My threshold for boredom is not exactly high. I recently started a HIT program and OMG is it intense - lots of shocking techniques and supersets - but the thing is I'm only at the gym for 45 min but my body feels like it's been there 2 hours. Although I'm only on my second week of this program I can tell It's going to result in my biggest gains so far.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%
    pipe dream goal 175 lbs @ 10% bf
    making the switch to power lifting