Thread: How much cardio?

How much cardio?

First of all let me say that I'm am bulking and do not want to lose any weight. So, How much cardio should I be doing in a week. I don't enjoy cardio like I do working out and probably wouldn't do to much of it if I could get by. But when football season start, and coach runs us till were all heaving, I'll have wished I had done it.
    So, about how much cardio would you say I should be doing?
    Thanks.

It really depends.

If you need to maintain or improve your conditioning, I'd do some.

Maybe so some HIIT, and compensate by eating more.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

so if I ran twice a week, would that burn too many calories to bulk?

And, can you explain what HITT is, I'm not familiar with it.
    Thanks.

Banned
    Originally posted by dkliewer
    so if I ran twice a week, would that burn too many calories to bulk?

And, can you explain what HITT is, I'm not familiar with it.
    Thanks.
    Nothing burns too many calories to bulk if you compensate by eating more, especially not running only twice per week.
    HIT, or high-intensity training, refers to going full-out for short time periods. An example is interval training where you do something like a 30 second sprint followed by a minute jog and then another sprint and so forth for a total of about 20 minutes.

Thanks for the info Vido,
    but what about just straight hard up running for 20 minutes (2.5 miles or so.) that is what I have been doing.

No cardio is a good amount of cardio
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

I agree with BCC

Banned
    Thanks for the info Vido,
    but what about just straight hard up running for 20 minutes (2.5 miles or so.) that is what I have been doing.
    Someone with more knowledge is going to have to help me out here, but I believe it has to do with shocking your cardiovascular system, thus not allowing you to get into any sort of "groove". By not allowing your body to adjust to the stress its far more effective in the same amount of time. Plus, in your case, as you are worrying about burning calories, you will be burning less calories doing the interval than straight-out hard running.

Banned
    I disagree with BigChaseyChase and davetha1 who say cardio is not good. Not only does it help to burn fat if done at the proper time and pace, but it promotes a sense of well-being and all-around makes you feel much better. I say that from personal experience and listening to others. Some may disagree, but I think those are the people that can't get a good enough handle on their diet to counteract the calories burned from cardio.

Again, this depends on your goals. HIIT or running are both wonderful. If you are just trying to stay in shape, or like to run, run. I prefer HIIT, so that's what I do.

A 2.5 mile run (assuming a pretty decent pace), should only take you 20 minutes or so, right? Twice a week? No problem. Drink a couple of Cokes or something, that will make up for the caloric expenditure.

I agree with Vido, here. The benefits of doing a little cardio far oughtweigh the little bit of calories you have to eat to make up for it. I've always found that my lifting IMPROVES when I do a little cardio.

YMMV.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    If you're trying to bulk then I would probably stay away from HIIT.

You should be fine with your 2.5 mile runs. Just be sure to do 'em or you'll be hurtin' when practice starts.

...and I also agree that cardio improves lifting performance - big time!

Why not the HIIT

If you're trying to bulk then I would probably stay away from HIIT.
    Why not the HIIT? Does it burn more calories?

I'm fine with just flat out running two miles or so for 20 minutes. But, I was just wondering why you think HIIT isn't good for bulking.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

Re: Why not the HIIT

Why not the HIIT? Does it burn more calories?

I'm fine with just flat out running two miles or so for 20 minutes. But, I was just wondering why you think HIIT isn't good for bulking.
    The theory behind HIIT is it sustains the heart-rate for a longer period AFTER the exercise has been completed.

Personally I do HIIT one day (flat/hills-bleachers), run X/C at a moderate pace, but a longer distance & ride a Mountain Bike.

My goals are to be a good athlete, somone who is MULTI dimensional, so my training/goals vary from most on this site.

Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by MRJ; 06-12-2002 at 05:58 PM.
    Best Regards,