The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

need great nutritional advice

hey everyone im new here and i need advice.im 5'6 1/2 and i weigh 251. i bench 280, deadlift 390, i military press 155, squat 350. i still have a good amount of fat to lose. so i was introduced to the 5/3/1 and love and to supplement with strenghth gains and fat lose i am also going to implement a barbell/dumbell complex on my off days. my delimma is i don't know how much i should be eating or what i should be eating to attain my goals of being strong and ripped. any takes are deeply appreciated.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 02-19-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    "define yourself for yourself"

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

A. Figure out how many calories per day it takes to maintain your weight.
    B. Drop 300-500 cals a day (or if you want faster or slower weight loss adjust accordingly, usually slower is better to retain muscle)
    C. Make sure you consume adequate protein. Most people like 1.5 grams per lb of BW, I usually just shoot for 200.
    Be consistent with tracking your calories and macros and you'll get leaner and leaner.

Also- The best foods to eat are lean, dead animals (chicken breasts,fish,lean ground beef,turkey) and complex carbohydrates(rice, oats). Healthy fats also (peanut butter, fish oil)
    Last edited by JacobH; 02-19-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by JacobH View Post
    A. Figure out how many calories per day it takes to maintain your weight.
    B. Drop 300-500 cals a day (or if you want faster or slower weight loss adjust accordingly, usually slower is better to retain muscle)
    C. Make sure you consume adequate protein. Most people like 1.5 grams per lb of BW, I usually just shoot for 200.
    Be consistent with tracking your calories and macros and you'll get leaner and leaner.

Also- The best foods to eat are lean, dead animals (chicken breasts,fish,lean ground beef,turkey) and complex carbohydrates(rice, oats). Healthy fats also (peanut butter, fish oil)

Pretty solid advice here.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Thanks

I appreciate the advice JacobH and your follow-up Behemoth. Its nice to have people around who have been there and done it, but be willing to help out another(and no, im not crying).

Banned
    I wouldn't recommend doing 5/3/1 AND BB complexes on off days. It's way to much.

Do the main 5/3/1 work and use the BB complexes as your assistance work.

Remembe this, you can't serve 2 masters. In your quest to lose fat and "get ripped" you will have a very hard time keepong strength, let alone building it.

So you don't get caught in a revolving door of fat loss v. building strength I would prioritize your goals. If you want to lose fat, then your workouts should be geared towards that as the main focus. You can strength train as part of the process, but your focus should be fat loss via diet and proper exercise selection.

Once you reach a bodyfat % that you find acceptable, then you can shift your focus from more of a fat loss-type workout to a strength building-type workout. When you make this change, you still need to pay close attention to your eating habits.

This is a common goal that most fail miserably at because they try to do both at the same time and it's just not possible.

Prioritize and attack.

thankyou RhodeHouse for the advice. i guess you are about the 100 millionth person that i have spoke to or read an exert from to say that, its finally sunk in.Thanks everybody.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane33 View Post
    thankyou RhodeHouse for the advice. i guess you are about the 100 millionth person that i have spoke to or read an exert from to say that, its finally sunk in.Thanks everybody.
    One thing I've learned is when you hear people say the same things over and over, there's a reason for it. Listen and just take notes so you can figure out the best way to get to your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane33 View Post
    If you really want to goto the gym on your off days just to burn some extra calories, looking into high intensity interval training.