Thread: Building a home gym

Building a home gym

I plan on using a little tax refund money to buy a power rack and bench for my garage. Any advice on certain brands to look for or stay away from? I'm not against buying new, but I'd rather find a deal used on craigslist. Also, is it easier to do deadlifts on a separate platform outside the rack? What is the best flooring or padding to put under the rack? I'd like to keep from cracking the concrete floor.

In my garage gym, I just use two mats sat on top of a thick rug where the weights come down while deadlifting. This was free and it protects the weights and the concrete. I don't have a power rack yet, so my DL station is set up by itself away from my bench and it works just fine. I don't really know much about good brands to look for though.
    Consistency
    My Journal

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/prod...413986.4417718 I use this power rack. Works great for everything.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I would either get an EliteFTS 2x2 rack or a Westside R3 rack. You can find the EFS rack from time to time on Craigslist. I would avoid buying anything from a major sports retailer as their racks are usually of poor construction, design, and will not hold up to heavy abuse. Avoid NY Barbell as well.

I lag screwed my rack to a 2.25 inch base composed of 2 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood and 1 sheet of 3/4 inch gym mats / horse stall mats. I dead lift in the rack and also made a band dead lift platform with the same base.

I'd go with a Rogue R-3, if money is unilmited. From Rogue Fitness.

I have a cheap rack from New York Barbells. It has held up over 12 years, but I max squat around 375. So if you have big lifts, don't know how well it would hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    I'd go with a Rogue R-3, if money is unilmited. From Rogue Fitness.

I have a cheap rack from New York Barbells. It has held up over 12 years, but I max squat around 375. So if you have big lifts, don't know how well it would hold up.
    Money is definitely limited. My lifts are not that big yet though.

The garage gym is the best gym..... For me, proximity eliminates all excuses.

For Racks:

I have this Sumo Rack ($329 plus shipping): http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92565.html

This one is also good (also $329 plus shipping): http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html

Flooring/ Deadlift platform: is what you need it to be ~~ If you plan on dropping the bar after lockout, then you'll need a better system than I use. My flooring is simply 2 mated sheets of plywood (18 inches x 18 inches) lying on the garage floor (they're cut into two separate sections ~ so that the plates sit on them). It works well, and they're really mobile, so you can pick them up or put them in the rack to do hack squats, etc.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

EFS stuff looks top notch, but the shipping is usually the price of the actual apparatus. I wish it was easier to find good local stores that carried good stuff.

@ Fearfactory: I was thinking that the Elite Fitness looked overpriced to me. Maybe they're using a thicker than normal gauge steel.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."