The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by LATMAN
    Pauly- The form I have been having great success with on the conventionals is with my feet very close together. I have my heels about 3" apart and my toes pointed out slightly. I have my shins about 3 or so inches away from the bar at the beginning of the pull. I always seem to figit around and take like 20 breaths before I actually go down for the bar. Once I take in my biggest "air" I reach down for the bar with a little knee bend. Once I have my grip(which is very quick) I kind of swing my hips down and forward. Kind of give you some momentum to start pulling back. Usually it turns into a mostly back lift as that is where I am strongest. At the top if you can just remeber to stop thinking about pulling back so much, but just thrust the hips forward you should lock it out. I also rarely let my air out until the very top or even after lokout.
    I use the exact same form and it works great for me too
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

6/26 ME Squat/Deadlift

Forgot to bring my training log to work, so I have to go on memory

Close stance arched back good mornings
    45x8
    95x5
    135x3
    185x3
    225x1
    245x1
    265xmiss

1 Leg press
    90x8
    140x12, 12

Hyper ext
    +25 x 20,15,15

Pull down abs (on lat machine)
    100x7
    70x12, 12

Side bends
    50x 12,12

That's it.

did some stretching this morning (I intended to do some sprints, but got up late - perhaps I'll do them after work)

ME Bench tomorrow... Might be a bit of a short one, as my sister is having labor induced, so there should be a new nephew sometime tomorrow.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wooooooo!

Uncle Pauly.

That has a rather catchy, yet camp ring to it. Groovy.

So you still trying to reduce bodyfat slightly, Mr Stagg? How is it going, since you rarely mention about it?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

I am Groovy Uncle Pauly. I like that.

I kinda gave up on dieting of late - I just needed to take a break from lifting and dieting - live like a normal freaking person for a few weeks. I got down to 207, rather pleased with it... still a little chubby, but that's OK, my wife loves me anyway.

Since I was so frustrated with my lifting results, I decided to forgo worrying about getting to 198 (If I do, that's nice), and just get stronger... so - I'll be watching what I eat, and trying to a certain extent to get a little leaner, but not focusing on it. I am dropping booze from my diet for a while (for a couple of reasons... I was getting a little too accustomed to having booze a little too often for my liking, and it's calories I don't need), and I'll try to stay away from munchies, ice cream... stuff like that.

I'm also going to get better about improving my conditioning (via running and some other GPP), so hopefully that will have a positive effect on my waistline as well.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 06-27-2002 at 08:10 AM.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Good to hear.

Good luck.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

6/29 ME Bench

Moved this a day due to sis having a baby. Healthy happy boy.

Apparently, Saturday is Assclown (tm) day at my gym. Powerracks were usurped by a guy doing wrist curls, then by a group socializing and giving each other pointers on doing 1/4 depth squats.

Quote of the day:

"If she can squat 240, she can leg press 500." (this is after said nitwit had a girl doing a 1/4 squat half goodmorning with 240 on the bar)

Whatever.

I had to bench using a regular bench, which is fine, but not many spotters around.

Close grip bench
    45x10
    95x8
    135x5
    185x3
    225x3
    245x1
    265x1

I might have had another lift in me to get to a 270 PR, but I didn't like my spotting options.

Incline DB press
    60's x 12
    70's x 7,4

Elbows out extensions
    20's x 12,12,12,11,10,9

Chest supported row
    45x15
    3x10 @ 90

Side laterals
    2x12 @ 20's

Hammer curl
    20's x 15, 12
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

6/30 DE Squat

Had to go earlier than usual to help my wife out with some things in the afternoon.

Box Squat
    5x2 @ 235

Supposed to do 10 sets, but during the 5th, my quad cramped/pulled. Upper outer, near my hip. I was unable to do any squatting without pretty severe pain, so went on to the rest of the workout. (Today, it's still tender, but not so bad, so I think it was a cramp.)

SLDL
    135x8
    185x8
    225x10,8

Pullthrus
    3x12 @ 100

Pull down abs
    100x30
    2x12 @ 150
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

DE Bench

Bench press
    10x3 @ 165 (60% of 275)

3 grips. Speed good.

JM press
    135x5
    155x 5, 5, 4

I think I've got form just about perfect on these.

Pressdowns
    50x15
    60x15
    2x10 @ 70

Pulldowns (v-grip)
    100x15
    150x 12, 10

1 arm press
    20x15
    40x 14, 10.

Seated curl
    30's x 10, 6

ME Squat/dead tonight. Quad is still a little tender, so we'll do good mornings again.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Pauly, how are the one-arm presses working out for ya? Seeing any benefits? Last question, how are you balancing when you do these, are you grabbing underneath the bench? Just curious, I thought about trying these every now and again, thought you might be able to offer some pointers. Sorry to bust into your journal again bro.

I sit on a bench, and balance by putting the non working hand on my thigh.

I like the 1 arm press as it forces you to keep yourself stable. No earth shattering benefits other than the obvious stability improvements of a unilateral movement. Since I don't care if I get any bigger (and am actually trying not to get bigger), this is purely for shoulder function and injury prevention.

And, it's a nice variation when the amount of shoulder work is limited.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Oh $hit, my bad, I though they were one-arm DB bench presses, I didn't know they were shoulder presses. I'm definitely gonna try them soon ...

Hey Paul, just wanted to compliment you on your CG Bench weight, keep up the good work.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

7/3 ME Squat/Dead

Good morning (close stance, arched back)

45x8
    1358x3
    185x3
    225x1
    245x1
    265x1

1 leg press
    90x8
    180x8, 7

Hypers
    +25 x 20, 20, 20

Leg raises
    3x15

Static hold
    455x5 sec
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

7/5 ME Bench

Close grip inclines
    45x8x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x3
    205x1
    225x miss

Incline DB press
    60's x 12
    70's x 8, 4

Elbows out ext
    25x 15, 12, 12, 11, 10

Tbar row
    45x15
    115x10, 8

side laterals
    20's x 15, 15

Hammer curl
    25's x 12, 8
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

7/7 DE Squat/Dead

Skipped it. Had to sell my Honda, and that got me home too late to get to the gym. Did a little GPP hauling stuff up and down stairs.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

7/9 DE Bench

Bench press

10x3 2 165.

3 grips. speed excellent.

225x1, 245x1 The 245 was SLOOOOWWWWW. Not good.

JM press
    135x5
    155x5, 5, 5

Pressdowns.
    60x15
    70x15
    80x10, 8

V grip pulldowns
    100x15
    160x12, 9

1 arm press
    20 x 15
    45x 12, 10

Hammer curl
    20x 20, 15, 12
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Sometimes when i work up after the speed sets weights that should go good end up going really slow but some days they fly up. I think its a matter of overall energy the day of your workout cause the speed sets can take a lot outta ya.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

I agree... I think I was just tired, as the 245 wasn't a strain.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

7/10 ME Squat/Dead

Box deadlift (2 inch box)

135x5
    135x5
    185x4
    225x3
    275x1
    275x3
    315x1
    335x1 Belt on
    355x miss

Not so good, not so bad. I REALLY need to work on form.

1 leg press
    90x8
    180x10, 8.
    Then did a set of 8 using both legs.

Pull thru
    3x10 @ 120

Pull down abs
    150x12, 12
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

7/12 ME bench

INcline close grip
    45x8
    95x5
    135x3
    185x3
    205x1
    215 x miss
    215xmiss

It gets about half wya up, then I get stuck.

Incline DB press
    60's x 12
    75's x 7, 3

Elbows out ext
    25's x 15, 15, 15, 15

Tbar row
    45x12
    135x 9, 5

Face pull
    70x 15
    100 x 15, 15, 15

Cable curl
    100 x 12
    12o x 8, 8
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

7/14 DE Squat/Dead

Box squat
    8x2 @ 245

Squat
    315 x 2

Speed was good on all sets. The 315 was easy, speed ok

Pull thrus
    100 x 8
    130 x 9, 8, 8

Partial deads (from just below the knee)
    225 x 8, 15, 12

Pull down abs
    150 x 15, 15, 15

Side bends
    50 x 8
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

7/16 DE Bench

Bench press
    10x3 @ 165 3 grips

speed was good

245x1, 245x1

First one, speed was great. Second was a little slow.

JM press
    135x5
    165x5, 5

Pressdown
    70x15
    90x9, 6

V grip pulldown
    100x15
    160x11, 11, 8

Front plate raise ss with face pull
    25x12; 100x20
    35x12; 100x20

ME Squat/Dead tonight.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Paul, have you heard of an Irish guy called Mark Higgins (could be 'Marc' like) who holds the commonwealth BP record (275kg [605lbs] i think he said it was)?

Nope - and most of the records I know of are either US or World.

I can look about on the web, though.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Yeah, well when you see a dude CGBP 440lbs for 4 quite easy reps you know he's gotta hold a record of some sort...