The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    No doubt.

7/18 ME Squat

Low box squat
    135x5
    185x3
    225x3
    275x1

Houston, we have a problem. On the 275, about halfway down, my left knee felt a little unstable. Came back up with the squat, but definately tweaked something in my knee. Not really painful, just feels very unstable. Been testing it last eve and this morning... I can run... occasionally when I put my weight on it it feels unstable (feels like the outside of the knee). A little testing this morning makes it seem like lateral force (Pushing out) is where the issue lies. Not swolen. No constant pain, just a little when I move it wrong and it feels unstable at the same time. ROM is fine. I *am* a little tight - I feel like I need to stretch a bit thru the hamstrings.

Due to the instability issue, I just dod some quick ab and low back work.

Hypers
    5x20

Incline situps
    3x20

I've noticed a big jump in my abdominal strength. Ace.

Off tonight. I'll spend some time with my stretching book. ME bench Friday shouldn't be an issue. DE squat is Sunday.

I sure do hope this isn't serious. I'm not sure I can take yet another setback... I might have to take up golf or something.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Do you think it warrants physio or specialst attention, or is it too early to tell?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Too early, IMO. I find it quite odd that there is NO pain, other than when it feels unstable. No swelling, either.

I was reading some Q/A on elitefts.com, though, and there was a post referring to pre and post knee surgury workouts.. and the guy indicated that assuming one is pain free and can function thru a full ROM, then they could do certain things.... and this was RE: a torn ligament.

I'm confused. I always thougth a torn ligament would hurt like the dickens.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    About how high was the box you used for those?

Hope the knee is ok.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

About 11 inches. About 2 inches lower than my normal box squat.

Knee feels OK today. Still feels unstable at points, but not as bad as yesterday. Did some web surfing to match up the symptoms, and I think i just strained it a little, and some rest (for 5-10 days) is the way to go.

I'm supposed to box squat on Sunday, I'll test it out then and see how it feels.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    I'm confused. I always thougth a torn ligament would hurt like the dickens.
    You ever see a football player tear an ACL? They can walk normally and even run, but their lateral movement isn't there. They try to go laterally and their knee buckles. I don't have to tell you this, but be careful, it could be a tear or a partial tear, but hopefully it's just a strain.

Hmm. I am being careful... I skipped my DE squat workout yesterday as I still have a little instability. It doesn't seem to be as much, though.

7/19 ME bench (friday)

I forgot to bring my log withme to work, but here's what I remember

Rack Lockouts (about 6 inches)
    135x5
    185x3
    225x3
    245x3
    275x3
    295x1
    315x1 (Tried for 2 and missed the second
    335x miss
    335x miss

Incline DB bench press
    80's x 7,7

Elbows out ext
    6 sets

Cable rows
    2 sets

face pulls
    3 sets

Hamemr curls
    2 sets
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

7/21 DE squat and 7/23 DE bench skipped.

DE squat skipped to let my knee heal - not much change there. I can do a ME workout tonight - I'll do goodmornings.

Skipped my DE bench 'cause I needed another night off. Long workday, a little stress, and some joint pain.

Good to go tonight.

Also - Found a meet in September about anhour and a half away from me. There may be a second meet about 3 hours away (in Ocean City, MD, which would be a nice little weekend getaway). Also hearing there may be an APA meet in MD in December.

If my knee holds up, I'll do one in Sept, and the meet in December.

I'm NOT doing the push/pull on August 17 (no point with a full meet 4 weeks later)

I NEED to do more stretching, and add in more GPP.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Have you had your knee checked out? You know when I tore my hamstring I was extra careful and did all the rehabbing that I thought was necessary and was almost up to 100% strength and still ended up re-tearing it really badly. You own 3 cars old man...you can afford a trip to the therapist! The frustration of compounding the injury and not being able to train for a long period of time certainly outweigh erring on the side of caution I'd think.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I only own two cars now. We sold the Honda.

It's only been a week. I'll do 1 leg squats or 1 leg presses tonight after good mornings and see how it feels. If it's no good, I'll see a doc.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Knee feels pretty OK. still an occasional twinge of pain.

Took a couple of extra days off.

7/26 ME Squat
    Good mornings
    45x9
    95x8
    135x5
    185x3
    225x3 PR
    245x1
    275x1 PR

When I got done the 225, is was really discouraged, because 225 x 3 felt really tough. Then I looked at my log, and realised I usually go to singles at 225, which would explain why 3 felt heavy, eh?

High bar, close stance, rock bottom squats
    135x20

These were to check out the knee and do a little conditioning work. Knee felt great.

Pull thrus
    130x10, 8, 5

Pull down abs
    3x15 @ 150

Hypers
    3x20
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

7/28 ME Bench

Incline Bench press
    2x45x10
    95x8
    135x5
    185x3
    205x1
    225x1
    235xmiss.

Crossovers
    30x15
    40x15
    50x15, 15, 12

Rope pressdowns
    100x 15,15,9,9,9

Cable rows
    150x12
    170x11, 10, 8

Face pull
    3x15 @ 120

Hammer curl
    30x12,6

Cardio - 15 minutes on the elliptical trainer. Yippee.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

7/30 DE Squat

Box squat
    8x2 @ 245

speed OK. Knee felt pretty good. Hamstings a little tight.

Speed deadlift
    245, 6 singles, 30 seconds rest.

Need to work on form.

SLDL
    135x8
    225x8
    275x3, 3

Hypers
    20x3

Leg raises
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Re: 7/28 ME Bench

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    Incline Bench press
    2x45x10
    95x8
    135x5
    185x3
    205x1
    225x1
    235xmiss.

You must have quite an upper chest, Paul.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

I pay particular attention to it, as you know. Especially the inner portion.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

That'll explain why your CGBP is so ace.

Hey, in all seriousness, one thing i'd like to know - why such high reps on ancilliary exercises?

I like them.

My intent is to increase my work capacity, and increase my tolerance to trainig with lactic acid buildup.

Plus, it eliminates some of the wear and tear that lower/heavier puts on folks in my age group... the ME stuff gets to me.

I'm planning on cycling through to lower/heavier on some things.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

8/1 DE Bench

Bench press
    8x3 @ 175. 3 grips

Ace. Bumped weight up 10 pounds, didn't notice it. speed still great.

245x1, 255x1

Both went up fast, easy. I'm right pleased with that.

Close grips
    135x15
    185x6,5,5

pressdowns
    80x15
    100 x 5, 5, 4

Chins (kinda wide)

Lateral raise ss w/ front plate raise
    2 sets, 20'sx10, 35 x 10

ME squat tonight.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

8/2 ME Squat/deadlift

Rack pulls (from just below knee)

45x10
    95x8
    135x5
    185x5
    225x3
    275x3
    315x3
    365x3
    405x1
    455xmiss
    455xmiss.

the misses didn't move. I did too many warmup sets. it was REALLY hot in the gym.

High bar close stance rock bottom squats
    155x20

Huffin' and puffin, but knee fels fine.

Pull thrus
    130x12,9,8

After the first set, I half burped, half vomited. Swallowed it back down, and finished up.

Pull down abs
    150x 20, 17

I over heated a bit. couldn't eat when I got home, took about 2 hours to stop feeling sick.

I thought about skipping this one as my turned ankle and knee were worrying me, but I'm glad I did it and worked through not only the joints (which felt fine), but the heat. Tough workouts build character. This was a tough one.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Rack pulls (from just below knee)

45x10
    95x8
    135x5
    185x5
    225x3
    275x3
    315x3
    365x3
    405x1
    455xmiss
    455xmiss.
    Nice strength man. 405 for 1 is impressive. I used to do rack pulls from right below knee level for the longest time. Feel great dont they? Basically take your legs out of the lift entirely.

Funny - I think that's terrible.

It took me the longest time to figure out how to do them. I don't like them, but I need to do more stuff I don't like to get better at it.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Running from memory:

8/4 ME Bench
    Floor press
    45x12
    95x8
    135x5
    185x5
    225x3
    245x1
    265x1
    285x1

that tied a PR. No spotters around, so didn't try to break it.

Crossovers
    40x15
    60x12, 12, 10

Rope pressdowns
    5 sets

Cable rows
    150x12
    180x10, 8, 6

Face pull
    3x15 @ 130

Hammer curl
    35x8, 6

15 minutes of cardio.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

8/6 DE squat

Box squat
    8x2 @ 255

Then:
    Squat 315x1, 335x1. With wraps (knee still makes me nervous)

They popped right up. Ace speed.

SLDL
    135x8
    225x8
    275x4,4

Hypers
    +25 x 15, 15, 15

Almost every time I want to blow off a workout, it turns out quite good.

By the way, the new Dream Theater may be the best album I've ever heard.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Then you clearly haven't heard 'Relationship of Command' by At the drive-in or 'Grace' by Jeff buckley.

P.s. That's a canny sexy speed squat, young man.

8/8 DE bench

8x3 @ 175

3 grips. Not as good as last week for some reason.

Close grips
    135x15
    185x6,6,5

Rev grip pressdowns
    60x15
    80x15
    90x15, 15, 15

Chin
    9, 5, 5

Cable upright row
    3x12 @ 90
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.